BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT-L Archives

Archiver > BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT > 2008-03 > 1206101943

From: "D Wilson" <>
Subject: Re: [B&D] Free Newspapers!
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 08:19:03 -0400

Hello Liz and listers
I want to thank you for the tip about the old newspapers and relate one
success story.

A family tale, unconfirmed, was that my great grandfather Thomas Bindon, a
farmer in Brislington, was either stabbed and killed by a poacher or he was
actually the poacher (depends on who told the story). His death in 1902 was
from TB so I had discounted the story.

However, The Bristol Mercury and Daily Post of September 10, 1892 contained
a lengthy article concerning the plight of Thomas Bindon, a farmer of
Brislington. He was beaten and stabbed in the face by a poacher who was
stealing a large quantity of mushrooms from his land. Fortunately, some of
Thomas' brothers were nearby and the poacher was caught, held for the police
and later convicted.

An interesting tidbit to add to my family story.
Thanks again
Diane in Montreal