BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT-L Archives

Archiver > BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT > 2009-01 > 1231631247

From: Charani <>
Subject: Re: [B&D] Betty and Betsy and other derivatives
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 23:47:27 +0000

LawrenceLowe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This may be a regional difference? While researching a relative's
> family in the Manchester area, early 1800s, Eliza and Elizabeth
> were very clearly used as different names. I had always thought of
> them as the same too but no longer make that assumption until
> proved otherwise.

No, it isn't a regional difference.

Although Eliza is a diminutive of Elizabeth, it did become a name in
its own right, as did Betty and Betsey.

> Others that are causing me confusion or hiding clues(?), what about
> Nancy/Anne, Susan/Susannah/Anna, Hannah/Anna/Anne,

Nancy and Ann(e) are interchangable but also names in their own right
as are Susan and Susanna(h). I've seen Susanna(h) also written as
Shusanna. The same happens with Hannah and Anna.

> and is Martha a root name or an accepted variant on another.

Martha is a name in its own right *but* the derivation of it is Patty.
I spent ages looking for a hitherto unknown dau called Martha for a
3x great uncle until I discovered that an enumerator had taken it into
his head that the child returned as Patty had been listed by her
family nickname and not her proper name. The child was registered and
christened as Patty.

--
Charani (UK)
OPC for Walton, SOM