BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT-L Archives

Archiver > BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT > 2009-01 > 1231633178

From: Charani <>
Subject: Re: [B&D] Betty and Betsy and other derivatives
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 00:19:38 +0000

Mike Palmer wrote:
> From: "Charani" <>
>> Martha is a name in its own right *but* the derivation of it is Patty.
>
> Well I never! I always thought Pat and Patty were short for Patricia!
>
> I've just found this website:
>
> http://www.moonzstuff.com/articles/nicknames.html

That's an interesting site.

> Biddy for Obedience? Goodness me! Plenty of others to muse over there.

Biddy is often also a petname for Bridget or Margaret although I had
an Aunt Kathleen who was always known as Biddy.

The best one was a cousin whose nickname was Raymond. Unless you
actually knew what his real name was, you'd never guess it.

--
Charani (UK)
OPC for Walton, SOM

This thread: