BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT-L Archives

Archiver > BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT > 2009-01 > 1231721794

From: "Nancy Frey" <>
Subject: Re: [B&D] Betty and Betsy and other derivatives
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 19:56:34 -0500

Hi Listers,

I still find this topic very intesting. Sometimes there is absolutely no
reason for a "nickname". My mother was born Elsie Edith May but as she was
raised by her grandmother (mother too busy) she was given the name "Billie"
which followed her all her life. Most people never knew her real name, lol.

I met an Irishman in London when I was living there who could never remember
names, so when he met a person for the first time, he gave them a name that
he could remember. I was Gabrielle.

Then there was my first husband's uncle who called every lady "Susie"
because he couldn't remember names either.

All this makes for very interesting hunting when looking for your ancestors
if their nicknames stuck. I'll have to wait for the 1922 Census to find out
how my mother was enumerated.

As for Raymond, (which was my father's name) my guess would be his name was
something feminine, like Shirley or one of those other British names that we
North Americans associate with girls, lol.

Regards,

Nancy Frey
Newcastle, Ontario, CANADA
OPC for Ansford & Castle Cary, Somerset
Moderator of Yahoo! Catsash Group
Moderator of Yahoo! FULFORD_North Devon Group
Moderator of Yahoo! DAVIDGE Connections Group