BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT-L Archives

Archiver > BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT > 2009-06 > 1243867731

From: "Ernie Huntley" <>
Subject: Re: [B&D] How do I look up Bristol Workhouses in 1871 Census
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:48:51 -0400

Re Bristol Workhouses.
It's strange how one's memories are revived :over this past week or so, with
questions about Stapleton Workhouse , I keep recalling places which even as
late as the 1920s were called STAPLETON and when mentioned, usually meant
the Assylum.~~Hospital, located on Manor Road and also Blackberry HIll,
Fishponds, same thoroughfare but having 2 names.at the bend and start of the
hill.leading down to Snuff Mills on the River Frome: However from about
1945 it was known by other names, `Stapleton Hosp. Manor Park Hosp and I
think now called Blackberry Hill Hosp. This should NOT be cofused with
FRENCHAY Hosp, a few miles away.. I mention this only because throughout
many years, the name Workhouse conjured up different ideas re it's
residents; ie, down and out scroungers, `lower class poor who needed food
and lodgings~~this wasn't a freebie, they had to repay, by doing some work
to partially offset costs (hence Workhouse), One must realise, the CLASS
System was rampant and an accepted way of life. ~~You have it, good : You
Don't have it ~~Tough Luck.

But those Workhouses also had a hospital, where not only the poor or`down
and outers' were admitted but anyone who might need Medical help and this
is where the Class Distinction came in, It was frowned upon by the so
calleed `Upper Classes. although it doesn't mean some weren't admitted.
So don't give up re the loss of Stapleton Wokhouse, try Hospital instead..

Ernie