BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT-L Archives

Archiver > BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT > 2009-08 > 1250807358

From: "Pat Hase" <>
Subject: Re: [B&D] Snowden buildings & Convent of the Good Shepherd
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 23:29:18 +0100

I think that Convent of the Good Shepherd at Knowle was probably the one at
Arnos Court Brislington and it later became a Reformatory School for Girls

See http://brisray.com/bristol/bbris.htm under Brislington.

I found this on a page about missing ancestors
a.. ARNO'S COURT REFORMATORY FOR ROMAN CATHOLIC GIRLS, ARNO'S VALE, NR.
BRISTOL
Later called St. Joseph's Girls Reformatory School, Arno's Vale.

Certified 22nd April 1856 for 90 girls. Re-certified 29th March 1912 for
100 girls and in 1924 for 80 girls.

A specially built school, adjoining a Magdalen Institution. Became St
Joseph's Approved School, Arno's Vale from 1933.

STAFF

1866 - Miss Ann Parrish, Superior of the Convent

1867 - Miss Ann Parrish, Superior of the Convent

1868 - The staff consists of the sisters of the order of the Good
Shepherd; Miss Trumpler; formerly at Dalbeth, taking the principal charge of
the school teaching.

1872 - Sister Superior Miss Parrish; and Sisters of the Order of The Good
Shepherd.

1884 - Superioress Miss Weld, and 10 Sisters of the Order of the Good
Shepherd

1900 - The sisters of the Good Shepherd; Miss Haley lay teacher

1903 - The sisters of the Good Shepherd; The schoolroom Sister Kate Nolan

Pat