Archiver > BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT > 2009-08 > 1250807358

From: "Pat Hase" <>
Subject: Re: [B&D] Snowden buildings & Convent of the Good Shepherd
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 23:29:18 +0100

I think that Convent of the Good Shepherd at Knowle was probably the one at
Arnos Court Brislington and it later became a Reformatory School for Girls

See under Brislington.

I found this on a page about missing ancestors
Later called St. Joseph's Girls Reformatory School, Arno's Vale.

Certified 22nd April 1856 for 90 girls. Re-certified 29th March 1912 for
100 girls and in 1924 for 80 girls.

A specially built school, adjoining a Magdalen Institution. Became St
Joseph's Approved School, Arno's Vale from 1933.

1866 - Miss Ann Parrish, Superior of the Convent

1867 - Miss Ann Parrish, Superior of the Convent

1868 - The staff consists of the sisters of the order of the Good
Shepherd; Miss Trumpler; formerly at Dalbeth, taking the principal charge of
the school teaching.

1872 - Sister Superior Miss Parrish; and Sisters of the Order of The Good

1884 - Superioress Miss Weld, and 10 Sisters of the Order of the Good

1900 - The sisters of the Good Shepherd; Miss Haley lay teacher

1903 - The sisters of the Good Shepherd; The schoolroom Sister Kate Nolan