BRITISH-JEWRY-L Archives

Archiver > BRITISH-JEWRY > 2004-02 > 1075648863

From: "Lois Kaufman" <>
Subject: [British Jewry] Naturalisations
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 15:21:03 -0000

Dear List,

I have noticed that in my family, naturalisations took place many years
after immigration. One of my g-grandfathers, Jacob Levy, from Luknik,
Lithuania was already in the UK at the time of the 1881 census, but he did
not naturalise until 1909. His naturalisation record mentions his former
name, Kirschner, which I have never found used in this country. On another
branch, my g-g-grandfather Abraham Levy (no relation) arrived here from
Rogasen, near Posen in Poland (then Prussia) in about 1849/1850 with five
young children. Two of these children, half brothers, naturalised in 1895.
(I found one of them in an earlier census as having been born in the UK!) I
am interested to know what made them naturalise after so many years - was it
financial stability, or were there other factors - social, political that
caused this?

Regards,

Lois Kaufman

This thread: