BRITISH-JEWRY-L Archives

Archiver > BRITISH-JEWRY > 2004-02 > 1075657349

From: "Sherry Landa" <>
Subject: Re: [British Jewry] Naturalisations
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:42:29 -0000

I have noticed that in my family, naturalisations took place many years
after immigration. One of my g-grandfathers, Jacob Levy, from Luknik,
Lithuania was already in the UK at the time of the 1881 census, but he did
not naturalise until 1909. His naturalisation record mentions his former
name, Kirschner, which I have never found used in this country.

There are some KIRSCH- families in London (seem to remember some
correspondence about them on the MDX list, check the archives for late last
year and Jan of this).

(I found one of them in an earlier census as having been born in the UK!) I
am interested to know what made them naturalise after so many years - was it
financial stability, or were there other factors - social, political that
caused this?

Ah yes, as Maurice told us a while back, apparently unnecessary but no one
seemed to know or bother to check these things. I BELIEVE that once the
immediate immigration difficulties were over and people were a) settled
(decided not to carry on to the US which had been the original intention of
so many) and the financial pressures of bringing up kids etc were eased, it
probably seemed a good idea. As I said before, it could be just so they
could vote and felt that they were part of society, with a say. Could be
they wanted to buy land or property. Could be that they honestly believed
they might be deported or called up (or have their children called up).
Certainly, if someone needed to travel back to the *old country* (ailing
parents was the most common reason), they might then apply to avoid being
drafted on arrival (if they had left to dodge the draft). I have seen that
before as a reason on papers.

Best Wishes,
Sherry Landa (in Salford LAN)

---