BRITISH-JEWRY-L Archives

Archiver > BRITISH-JEWRY > 2007-09 > 1190698811

From: "Keira Lockyer" <>
Subject: Re: [BRITISH-JEWRY] Sams Coffee House
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:40:38 +1000

Hi David - here we go again with another sort of connection.
I have some notes on the Coffee House Josephs which I did in 2001 while
researching my Benjamin JOSEPH (c1791-1838) who was involved in a coffee
house, possibly with a Lewis RAPHAEL. Benjamin's father was an Isaac JOSEPH
(c1764-1846) and siblings included Israel Joseph who had a brother in law
John ABRAHAMS, Joseph Joseph Watchmaker and Abigail/Abby wife of Mark
POLACK. Isaac JOSEPH was involved with the Great Synagogue before moving to
the Maiden Lane Synagogue. My Josephs may or may not have been related to
Isaac and Julia Joseph
Phil Lipshut is descended from the Coffee House Josephs and would be able to
help you.
Meanwhile if anyone knows anything about my Josephs, particularly Israel who
was an adult in 1820 and living in Covent Garden, I would love to hear from
them.
Keira Lockyer
from the Spa Capital of Australia

Subject: [BRITISH-JEWRY] Sams Coffee House

In several wills from the early nineteenth century there are references to
Sams Coffee House and to its owners Isaac and Julia Joseph. Isaac must have
been a pivotal member of the community as he is mentioned in several wills
as executor. The original Sam, and this is a guess may have been Samuel
Joseph ben Josele Hollander of the Great Synagogue records?

I don't think these Josephs are my family but does anyone know anything more
about Sams Coffe House during the early nineteenth century?
> David Alexander

This thread: