BRITISH-JEWRY-L Archives

Archiver > BRITISH-JEWRY > 2008-01 > 1201591532

From: "Sherry with Sky" <>
Subject: Re: [BRITISH-JEWRY] Eligibility to be on a UK Electoral Roll
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:25:32 +0000

Yes, you had to be "British" to vote. The electoral register contains
people who can vote and those who can serve on juries (not necessarily
the same people). So, either the person was born in UK (or a
dependency) or they were naturalised (Usually it was the husband who
naturalised and the wife and any dependent children-those under 21
were included). Women were not on the register until they gained the
right to vote, so not having a wife show (before 1918 for women of
"means" and over 30, 1928 for women aged 21+) is no indication that
they were not living there. Around naturalisation there was a lot of
confusion-people included children who were British by birth, for
example, not realising. One of my GGF's non-dependent children assumed
he was British when his father naturalised even though he was out of
the country and over 21 at the time. I don't think anyone bothered to
check the truth of his declaration "The son of a naturalised British
citizen".

HTH
Sherry

On 28/01/2008, david and lesley <> wrote:

> I was always under the impression that one needed to be a citizen of the
> country in order to vote. Wouldn't that mean that if your missing Hannah was
> on an electoral roll she must have been naturalised?? Or am I wrong in
> assuming the electoral roll in the UK only lists those eligible to vote? Or
> have I misunderstood altogether, and she wasn't on the roll herself?

This thread: