BROOKS-NE-L Archives

Archiver > BROOKS-NE > 2009-09 > 1251857537

From: Lance and Ginny Miller <>
Subject: [BNE] FW: Simon Brooks, b. 20 MAR 1789, CT removed to PA
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 19:12:17 -0700

Subject: RE: [BNE] Simon Brooks, b. 20 MAR 1789, CT removed to PA
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:09:50 -0700

Sorry for my tardy reply to the post of 6/21/09, however, I have been traveling this summer and unavailabe.

Yes I still monitor BNE and still have a deep interest in Simon Brooks, born May 20,1789, MA

My records show Simon's father, Aaron, (Aaron, Thomas, Noah, Joshua, Thomas (Capt) was born in Lincoln, Middlesex Co., MA 07 Jan 1765. Aaron died 04 Aug 1823 in Rindge. (Farmer's Cabinet 1823-08-23 page 3)

Aaron along with his brother Stephen, born 22 Mar 1759, both removed to New Ipswich and Rindge, Aaron after his first wife died.

Aaron married twice. He married Polly (Mary) Austin in Westminster, MA Est 1785. Polly died Est. 1795 in Westminster, MA and is buried in Triangle cemetery in Lincoln, MA.
Aaron and Polly had at least 3 children,
Simon Brooks born 20 Mar 1789
John Brooks born Est 1791
William Brooks born Est. 1793.

He then married Mary Taylor born New Ipswich 22 June 1777, sister of bro Stephen Brook's wife Rachel Taylor, daughters of Thaddeus or Samuel Taylor, according to IGI. Aaron and Mary had at least one son, Aaron Jr. born Sept 1798

According to the "Genealogical Register" page 457 line 27, "Aaron Brooks, brother of Stephen, after a short residence in New Ipswich, removed to Rindge 1798, where he resided until his death, Aug 4, 1823, aged 58. His widow, Mary, resided upon the farm several years after his death." The 1798 move involved his brother Stephen and him exchanging farms, Rindge and New Ipswich.

There is evidently much confusion among genealogists as to which Mary is which, however, Mary Polly Austin is buried in Triangle cemetery in Lincoln, MA and I assume that Mary Taylor would be buried near Rindge NH. I have not been able to find the evidence to back this up.

Meanwhile, Simon Brooks, born in MA 20 Mar 1789 married Sarah Littlefield (descendent of Francis Cooke (Mayflower fame) in Colraine, Hampshire Co 25 Apr 1813.

The marriage of Simon Brooks and Sarah Littlefield brought together 2 pre-eminent families of colonial New England and started a slow but steady migration westward for branches of both families. Married in 1813, by 1818 they had moved their family and other branches of the Brooks and Littlefields to Chandless Valley, Warren Co PA, including Sugar Grove. Many of the family are buried there in Valley Cemetery in Chandlers Valley but many of the children, both Brooks and Littlefields came west to WA via MI.

Any and all replies or corrections to this gray area in my family tree would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached either thru the list or at