BROWN-L Archives

Archiver > BROWN > 2006-09 > 1159125066

From: joyce moore <>
Subject: Re: [BROWN] BROWN FAMILY IN TEXAS
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:11:06 -0700 (PDT)

Billie,
I am interested in your Brown family.

I have a grandmother, Rebecca Brown Waldrip, born ca 1793, S.C., moved to Maury Co., Tenn where she married Michael Waldrip. She was supposed to have been half Indian. She was in Wayne Co., Tenn. in 1830. Living next to her was a widow, Judah, can't remember the last name, with two small children, who was probably her sister by the age. William Brown, who I assume was her father, and Elias Brown, who I assume was her brother, are living next to them. Michael Waldrip died 1836 and she is next in Tishimingo Co., Miss. surrounded by Browns, who I assume are her brothers and nephews, according to the ages. They all moved to Texas. Absalom Brown signed for her marriage, and I found Elias and Absalom Brown signing as witness or sureties on some land that William Brown bought.

Would love to exchange info to see if we can figure out a connection.

Joyce Moore

Billie <> wrote:
Claude,
I dont know that I have a connection with your Isabella but there are
similarities between yours and mine. My Isabella (sister to my great
grandmother Nancy Cameline Brown Wallis) was born in 1858 in Tishomingo
County, Mississippi. She was the daughter of James Brown and Sarah Hodge.
This family was Native American but I"m not sure which tribe. Nancy and her
husband Robert Wallis moved to Johnson County, Texas about 1890. There were
a great number of people from that area that came to Texas, during that
time, for land. Census records indicate that James Brown was born either in
Tennessee or Kentucky about 1818 and died after 1910. I understand he is
buried in Maude Cemetery in Franklin (or Colbert County, Alabama). Sarah
Hodge Brown was born about 1817 in North Carolina and died before 1880 in
Colbert County, Alabama.
Billie