BRUMBELOW-L Archives

Archiver > BRUMBELOW > 2004-06 > 1087359960

From: "Patsy Vernon" <>
Subject: NC & GA Brumbelow's
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:26:12 -0600

I descend from Edward "Judge" Brumbelow, b. 1747 in VA.
I have never posted to the list, but have read with interest all of the other postings. This is definitely a complicated family.
Below is what I have in my files and it is not complete nor has it been proven by me. I have a few additional bits of info that will be added at a later date. If this helps anyone please let me know, also of any corrections.
For additional information check out http://www.eskimo.com/~lcsims/index.html
A Stanly County, NC site. Scroll down to "Facts and Myths about Stanly County Indian Heritage"

Patsy

Descendants of Edward A. Brumlow

Generation No. 1

1. EDWARD A.1 BRUMLOW1 was born Bet. 1675 - 1683, and died Abt. May 1717.
He married MARY M.1 in Virginia. She died June 23, 1749 in Farnham Parish,
Virginia.

Notes for EDWARD A. BRUMLOW:

This Family name has had various spellings, they include: BRUMLOW,
BRUMBELOW, BRUMBELO and possibly other spellings.

Children of EDWARD BRUMLOW and MARY M. are:

2. i. EDWARD ISAAC2 BRUMLOW, b. November 13, 1710,
Warsaw, Virginia; d. Aft. 1755, Warsaw, Virginia.

ii. ELIZABETH BROMLO, b. September 23, 1713.

iii. SARAH BROMLO, m. GEORGE SANDERS, January 30,
1756, Virginia.

Generation No. 2

2. EDWARD ISAAC2 BRUMLOW (EDWARD A.1)2 was born November 13, 1710 in
Warsaw, Virginia, and died Aft. 1755 in Warsaw, Virginia. He married MARY
1726 in Virginia. She was born Abt. 1710.

Children of EDWARD BRUMLOW and MARY are:

i. MARGARET3 BRUMBELOW, b. Abt. 1728, mar5ied John Jackson Mullis

3. ii. ISAAC BRUMBELOW, b. January 13, 1741/42.

iii. JESSE BRUMBELOW, b. November 02, 1742, Richmond County, Virginia.

4. iv. EDWARD "JUDGE" BRUMBELOW, b. September 13, 1747,
Richmond County, Virginia; d. Aft. 1800, Probably in Gwinnett Co., Georgia.

v. DAVID BRUMBELOW, b. December 15, 1750, Richmond
Co., Virginia; m. AMY MEDCALF.

vi. SOLOMAN BRUMBELOW, b. June 07, 1753.

vii. ELIZABETH BRUMBELOW, b. January 07, 1755.

Generation No. 3

3. ISAAC3 BRUMBELOW (EDWARD ISAAC2 BRUMLOW, EDWARD A.1) was born January
13, 1741/42. He married LIDIA MEDCALF Abt. 1766.

Children of ISAAC BRUMBELOW and LIDIA/LYDIA MEDCALF are:

i. LEWIS4 BRUMBELOW.

ii. ISAAC BRUMBELOW, JR., b. Abt. 1768, Virginia.

iii. WILLIAM BRUMBELOW, b. Abt. 1778, North Carolina.

iv. H. EDWARD BRUMBELOW, b. Abt. 1782, North Carolina.

v. CHARLES JOHN BRUMBELOW, b. July 13, 1788, North
Carolina.

4. EDWARD "JUDGE"3 BRUMBELOW (EDWARD ISAAC2 BRUMLOW, EDWARD A.1)3 was born
September 13, 1747 in Richmond County, Virginia, and died Aft. 1800 in
Probably in Gwinnett Co., Georgia. He married ELIZABETH Abt. 1768 in
Virginia. She was born Abt. 1750, and died Bef. 1810 in Probably in Anson
Co., North Carolina.

Notes for EDWARD "JUDGE" BRUMBELOW:

1790 Anson County, North Carolina Census, listed

Edward Brumbelow

3 males over 16

3 males under 16

4 females

At some point prior to 1790, Edward moved from Chatham Co., North Carolina
to Anson County, North Carolina. When the Indian lands opened up in
Georgia he moved there. I assume that is where he died.

According to his granddaughter, Susannah Morton Whitley, Edward was suppose
to be about 1/2 Cherokee Indian, and he was called "Judge".

LETTER WRITTEN BY SUSANNAH MORTON WHITLEY

Post Marked - Big Lick, North Carolina (date not legible)

To, W.H.A. Whitley

Woodbine

Cook, Co., Texas

Edward Brumbelow was my grandfather he lived in North Carolina Chatham Co. he moved from there to Anson Co there his daughter Betsy married Ezekiel Morton my Father his sister Betsy married John Hi_ _ na _ (may read
Hivonaz, Illegible) they had two sons one named Isaac and one Jessie and one James that I remember my grandfather was known by the name Judge Brumbelow and he went to the purchase of Georgia when the Indians inhabited
that Country he was said to be about half Indian, Susannah Whitley

Children of EDWARD BRUMBELOW and ELIZABETH are:

i. WILLIAM4 BRUMBELOE, b. Abt. 1770.

ii. EDWARD BRUMBOLO, JR., b. Abt. 1774.

5. iii. ELIZABETH "BETSY" BRUMBELOW, b. Abt. 1775, Anson County, North Carolina; d. March 21, 1856, North Carolina.

iv. GIRL BRUMBELOW, b. Abt. 1779.

v. JAMES A. BRUMBALO, b. Abt. 1781.

vi. ANOTHER GIRL BRUMBELOW, b. Abt. 1785.

vii. ISAAC BRUMBELOW, b. Abt. 1785.

viii. JESSIE BRUMBELOW, b. Abt. 1786.

Generation No. 4

5. ELIZABETH "BETSY"4 BRUMBELOW (EDWARD "JUDGE"3, EDWARD ISAAC2 BRUMLOW, EDWARD A.1)5 was born Abt. 1775 in Anson County, North Carolina, and died
March 21, 1856 in North Carolina. She married EZEKIEL MORTON6 Abt. 1790 in Anson Co., North Carolina7. He was born Abt. 1775, and died January 14, 1834 in North Carolina.

Children of ELIZABETH BRUMBELOW and EZEKIEL MORTON are:

i. JOHN D.5 MORTON, b. March 31, 1799, North Carolina; d. September 29, 1886, Stanly Co., North Carolina; m. SARAH
TUCKER, Abt. 1823; b. June 03, 1805; d. September 09, 1869, Stanly Co., North Carolina.

More About JOHN D. MORTON:

Burial: Wiggins Cemetery, Stanly Co., North Carolina

More About SARAH TUCKER:

Burial: Wiggins Cemetery, Stanly Co., North Carolina

ii. JOSEPH MORTON, b. February 24, 1801, North Carolina; d. October 29, 1889, Stanly Co., North Carolina; m. MARGARET
HATLEY; b. Abt. 1807; d. May 27, 1889, Stanly Co., North Carolina.

More About JOSEPH MORTON:

Burial: Old Wiggins Cemetery, Stanly Co., North Carolina

More About MARGARET HATLEY:

Burial: Old Wiggins Cemetery, Stanly Co., North Carolina

iii. HEZEKIAH MORTON, b. Abt. 1803, North Carolina; d. Abt. 1846; m. SUSANNAH HATHCOCK.

iv. WILLIAM MORTON, b. Abt. 1808, North Carolina; d. Bef. 1870; m. REBECCA WHITLEY, Abt. 1828, North Carolina; b. Abt. 1805, North Carolina.

Notes for WILLIAM MORTON:

The 1860 Census in Cooke Co., Texas, list him as William Martin. In the same household there are three small children listed. William C.
McClemons/McClemans, age 7, b. Mississippi, Rebecca McClemons, age 4, b. Mississippi, and James M. McClemons, age 2, b. Texas. These children evidently are grandchildren so they must have had an older daughter that married a McClemons/McClemans in Mississippi. There may have been other children besides the ones listed.

I believe that this family went to Choctaw Co., Mississippi around 1840 at the same time as his sister, Susannah Morton and William Whitley family.
Around 1855/1856 they moved to Cooke Co., Texas.

More About REBECCA WHITLEY:

Census: 1870, Wise Co., Texas, age 65

v. REBECCA MORTON, b. Abt. 1810; m. JOHN WHITLEY.

vi. JESSE MORTON, b. March 03, 1811, North Carolina;
d. February 16, 1863; m. ELIZABETH BURRIS.

vii. DICEY MORTON, b. Abt. 1812, Montgomery Co., North Carolina; m. GREEN DRURY MORGAN.

Marriage Notes for DICEY MORTON and GREEN MORGAN:

Children listed from 1850 Wilkes County, NC census.

viii. NANCY MORTON, b. Abt. 1815, North Carolina; m. MARK MORGAN.

ix. SUSANNAH MORTON, b. September 13, 1818, North Carolina; d. June 13, 1878, Grayson County, Texas; m. WILLIAM MARION WHITLEY, JR., Abt. 1838, North Carolina; b. Abt. 1817, Montgomery, now
Stanly Co., North Carolina; d. December 06, 1886, Probably in Montague Co., Texas.

More About SUSANNAH MORTON:

Burial: Collinsville Cemetery, Collinsville, Grayson Co., Texas

More About WILLIAM MARION WHITLEY, JR.:

Military service: December 13, 1861, William served from Dec. 13, 1861 to July 16, 1862 in Co. H, 22 Texas Cavalry.

x. EZEKIEL JOHN MORTON, b. Abt. 1822, Montgomery Co., North Carolina; d. Abt. 1868, Tennessee; m. (1) ? SMITH; m. (2) MARY POLLY ANN REED MILLER.

xi. LEVI CHRISTIAN MORTON, b. Abt. 1825, North Carolina; d. Aft. February 1894; m. FRANCES; d. October 05, 1893, Stanly Co., North Carolina.

xii. ALLEN GREEN MORTON, b. Abt. 1827, North Carolina; d. April 04, 1899; m. ELIZABETH BURRIS.

Notes for ALLEN GREEN MORTON:

In a Letter written by Allen's brother, L. C. Morton, dated Feb. 10, 1894, at Big Lick, NC, he refers to him as A. Y. Morton.

Endnotes

1. Larry Brumbeloe, Oklahoma City.

2. Sheila K. Rice, White and Putnam County, Tennessee, Records of North
Farnham Church, Richmond Co., Virginia.

3. National Archives, Ft Worth, Texas, M1650, Roll 52, Re# 5243.

4. Records of North Farnham Church, Richmond Co., Virginia.

5. Floyd Harvey.

6. Juanita Poplin Morris, New London , North Carolina.

7. Emmalee Morton McPherson, West Columbia, SC.

Looking to buy a house? Get informed with the Home Buying Guide from MSN
House & Home. http://coldwellbanker

This thread: