BRUTON-L Archives

Archiver > BRUTON > 2004-01 > 1073780341

From: "Cathy Cranford" <>
Subject: Re: [BRUTON] Bruton / Parsons?
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:19:06 -0500

Brian on the George and Susan Wilson Bruton, I have yet to see proof of
where she got the surname. As far as I can tell it came from Eric Bruton's
book but again, when I ask around, no answers, just keeps going. Anyone
have proof of her surname. I too, show it on my site, but again, no proof.
And are from Montgomery County, NC, though Montgomery County was taken from
Anson at one point.
There has been much written on this family, Parsons and Bruton yet much was
word of mouth, as well as not very well documented. I have not seen the
latest out yet, and have high hopes. I have been collecting census records
and other data which proves some errors, yet continue to see some listed in
the same manner, which leads me to think that folks are simply copying other
data without checking for accuracy.
I enjoy your work and look forward to anything you have to share or ponder
on.
Ok, for Samuel Parsons, we have the following for 1790, in Moore County, NC,
next door to Montgomery (boundary changes again, I believe), Samuel Parsons
1-0-1 with 6 slaves living next to Bethune, Dunn, Robinson families that
married into the Parsons lines.
Doing a fast search on ancestry Too lazy to pull out my notes and notebooks
right now because if I do, then the Cranford work sits, and I am bound and
determined to catch that back up again(remember, I lost my database, am
redoing by my website and records again and have not worked on Parsons in
over 4 years or Bruton in 3 years)

He is the only Parsons listed in 1790.
In Rowan County, NC, Wayne, Cumberland, Martin, Johnston, and Craven
Counties have Parsons as well. Moore being our Samuel Parsons.

1800 is roll m32-33 and page 466
Samuel Parsons, head of household in Montgomery County, NC, this is my guy
again:
2-1-0-0-1-1-2-1-0-1-0-1 and again, living near Robinsons.
There is a Francis Parsons living in Anson in 1800 and in Randolph there is
a Jesse Parson

1810 is Montgomery County, NC is the houses of Thomas and Joseph.

1810 is houses of Vincent and John Parsons in Anson Co. NC

1810 Randolph is Issac Parson

1820 is missing

1830 is Montgomery Co NC houses of James, Drury, John and Joseph Parsons.

1830 is Anson Co. NC is house of Vincent

1840 Montgomery East Pee Dee TWP is: both Samuel and Drury Parsons and in
West pee dee is both James and Thomas Parsons.

No 1840 Anson showing here

No 1840 randolph Co either

And from my 1850 transcriptions of the Montgomery Co NC Census is the
following folks:

154/156

Bruton, James age 63 male farmer $600 born NC

Bruton, Diana age 60 female born NC

Bruton, Palestine age 24 female born NC

Bruton, David age 20 male laborer born NC

155/157

Bruton, Atlas J. age 22 male farmer born NC

Bruton, Mary A. age 22 female born NC

311/313

Bethune, Christian age 44 female $25 born NC

Bethune, William A. age 19 male laborer born NC

Bruton, Eliza age 19 female born NC

Lamons, Elizabeth age 14 female born NC

344/346

Bruton, David age 55 male farmer $1570 born NC

Bruton, Nancy age 50 female born NC

Bruton, James age 19 male laborer born NC

Bruton, Eliza E. age 14 female born NC

Bruton, David A. age 13 male born NC

Bruton, William E. age 10 male born NC

Bruton, John M. age 7 male born NC

Bruton, Sarah A. age 5 female born NC

345/347

Bruton, Turner age 33 male farmer $450 born NC

Bruton, Jane S. age 29 female born NC

Bruton, Mary A. age 8 female born NC

Bruton, Judith R. age 6 female born NC

Bruton, James D. age 3 male born NC

Caudle, Elizabeth age 65 female born NC

346/348

Bruton, Calvin J. age 23 male farmer $250 born NC

Bruton, Mourning age 18 female born NC

401/403

Bruton, William age 37 male farmer $800 born NC

Bruton, Caroline age 33 female born NC

Bruton, Eliza J. age 10 female born NC

Bruton, Martha E. age 8 female born NC

Bruton, Diana P. age 6 female born NC

Bruton, Nancy C. age 6 female born NC

Bruton, E. T. age 4 male born NC

Bruton, Jacob B. age 2 male born NC

613/615

Bruton, Geo. M. age 28 male farmer $200 born NC

Bruton, Martha S. age 22 female born NC

Bruton, William G. age 5 male born NC

Bruton, Edmund J. age 4 male born NC

Bruton, Joseph P. age 3 male born NC

Bruton, Mary A. age 5/12 female born NC

751/753

Bruton, George age 59 male farmer $1625 born NC

Bruton, Nancy age 56 female born NC

Bruton, Susan age 30 female born NC

Bruton, Richard age 28 male miner born NC

Bruton, James J. age 23 male student born NC

Bruton, Elizabeth age 21 female born NC

Bruton, Anne age 18 female born NC

Bruton, Frances age 26 female born NC

752/754

Bruton, Wilson T. age 36 male farmer $1000 born NC

Bruton, Mary J. age 32 female born NC

Boggan, Martha (omitted) age 18 female born NC

Christian, Jane R. age 6 female born NC

Bruton, Virginia E. age 1 female born NC

and for the 1850 Parsons families of Montgomery CO NC is:

99/101

Threadgill, Saml age 35 male farmer $1000 born NC

Threadgill, Sarah age 28 female born NC

Threadgill, Ann E. age 12 female born NC

Threadgill, Flora D. age 9 female born NC

Threadgill, Thos. A. age 6 female born NC

Threadgill, Wm. H. age 4 male born NC

Threadgill, James H. age 2 male born NC

Parsons, Munford, age 20 male laborer born NC

McRae, Nancy age 45 female born NC insane

McRae, Mary age 33 female born NC

McRae, Flora age 25 female born NC

Dunn, Margaret age 18 female born NC

314/316

Parsons, David age 22 male farmer $250 born NC

Parsons, Jane age 20 female born NC

Parsons, George T. age 2 male born NC

McDaniel, Martin age 7 male mulatto born NC

McCaskill, William age 35 male laborer born NC

315/317

Parsons, Drury age 48 male farmer $414 born NC

Parsons, Elexa age 42 female born NC

Parsons, Calvin age 18 male laborer born NC

Parsons, Ann Lilly age 14 female born NC

Parsons, Thomas A. age 8 male born NC

Parsons, Joseph age 5 male born NC

Parsons, John G. age 4 male born NC

McDaniel, Catharine age 55 female born NC pauper idiotic

Bethune, Margaret age 34 female born NC pauper idiotic

316/318

Parsons, Martin age 30 male farmer $250 born NC

Parsons, Euphemia age 26 female born NC

Parsons, Mary 4 female born NC

Parsons, Neill age 21 male born NC

317/319

Parsons, James age 60 male farmer $756 born NC

Parsons, Mary age 48 female born Scotland

Parsons, William age 18 male laborer born NC

Parsons, Rachel age 17 female born NC

Parsons, Alexander, age 14 male born NC

Parsons, James age 12 male born NC

Parsons, Elizabeth age 11 female born NC

Livingston, Duncan age 76 male born Scotland

318/320

Parsons, Duncan age 24 male farmer born NC

Parsons, Miranda age 23 female born NC

Parsons, John A. age 2 male born NC

Parsons, Joshua age 3/12 male born NC

then some other records are at:

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~cranford/parspage.html

and to toss this in because I happened to have it on hand (working on
cranfords at the moment, and messing with learning dna) I show the following
1910 Troy, Montgomery County, NC Census enumerated on 6 May 1910 by John
Ewing SD # 7 ED # 62 Sheet 22B

Line 71

203.203

CRANFORD, Charlie, head, white male, age 26, married once for 8 years born
in NC, parents born in NC, worker in Cotton Mill

CRANFORD, Dene, wife, white female, age 23, married once for 8 years, 3
children born, 3 living, born in NC, parents born in NC

CRANFORD, Myrtle, dau, white female, age 6, single, born in NC, parents born
in NC

CRANFORD, Paul, son, white male, age 3, single, born in NC, parents born in
NC

CRANFORD, Pines, son, white male, age 2, single, born in NC, parents born in
NC

Living next door to Lester FAULKENBERRY at house number 204.204 and few
doors down from Joshua and Dicy PARSONS, with his mother in law, Eliza
BLAKE.

Located by Cathy Cranford 1.1.04

Hope it helps some, let me know if it does, Brian.
Got to run, in the middle of a ton of stuff that if I stop will only side
track me worse.
But before I do go, these Bruton and Parsons, married into Jordans, lewis,
Robinson, Bethune, Green, McCaskill lines, to name just a few, Blake, etc.
Use the tree with caution, there are errors, I have not been able to update
it.
Cathy