BRYANT-INDIAN-L Archives

Archiver > BRYANT-INDIAN > 2002-09 > 1032582068

From: jbryants <>
Subject: Re: [BRYANT-INDIAN] Re: BRYANT-INDIAN-D Digest V02 #10
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 23:21:08 -0500

Andrea, this is in reference to your 09/16/02 mail. I want to list three Martha's but they do not tie to your date.

Martha Bryant born 1846 Cocke County, TN
Martha Bryant born 1865 Cocke County, TN
Martha Bryant born 1653 Stafford County, VA

The first two I am related to - - the first one is d/o my g g uncle, James Bryant of Cocke County and then TX. The second one is the d/o William Morris Bryant and Mary "Polly" Mantooth; William was a g g uncle. The Mantooths was part Cherokee. My g g grandmother was Elizabeth Mantooth. The patriarch was called Thomas "Cherokee Tom" Mantooth and was born 1760 in VA. The name first was Monteith and the first over from Scotland was Thomas Monteith born in 1694 and settled in Stafford County, VA. Both names continue. There is several tales of why one clan - Thomas Mantooth - changed name but I am not sure. The most common is that he married into the Cherokees and they started calling him Mantooth. I don't know.

I am working on connections to the Dr. Richard Bryant, born abt. 1634 and married into the Powhawtan Indian Tribe. This was in what is now Stafford County, VA. This Richard's father, born about 1608, married a Keziah Arroyah, d/o of a chief and they were kin to the the clan that Pocahontas came from.

You may well know all of this written above. If not and I can help further please let me know. Sincerely, John Bryant -