BUCHANAN-L Archives

Archiver > BUCHANAN > 2001-08 > 0999178506

From: Chrystie <>
Subject: [BUCHANAN-L] Re: Eliza Jane BUCHANAN & John M. WHITEMAN - Wetzel/Tyler Co., VA/WV
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:35:06 -0400

My maternal grandmother, Malissa Jane WHITEMAN.

Dau of John Marshall "Marsh" WHITEMAN b Feb 15, 1828 in Finley,
Washington Co., PA and Eliza Jane BUCHANAN b June 3, 1831 in Greene Co.,
PA. They migrated into Wetzel County, WVA (once VA).

Eliza was the dau of James BUCHANAN b. 1787 and Sarah A. VANCAMP b.
1791. James was born in Maryland; Sarah in VA. James died in 1889 and
Sarah 1860 in Wetzel Co., VA. Tyler Ridge is just one of the areas
these lines resided in.

Other children of James BUCHANAN and Sarah A. VANCAMP:

1 - Stephen Jun 28, 1824 m. Mary ICIE (some spell it as ICE). My records
show that Stephen was born somewhere in VA; died in Wetzel Co., WVA. The
ICE/ICIE family are abundant in my records from the 1800's in Wetzel,
VA/WV and my assumption is that Stephen might have been born in Wetzel
or Tyler, VA which both later became WVA. Stephen was also married to a
Millicent Jane (UNK to me at this time) might have been WORKMAN.

2 - Elizabeth b. 1811 (?) m. Stephen WATKINS; issue: Sarah and James
3 - Hannah b. 1818 Tyler Co., VA/WV, m. Wm. TRAVIS; Hannah is bured in
Tyler Ridge area of Tyler County.
4 - Sarah Ann b. 1835 Tyler Co., VA/WV, m. Jenkins YOUNG
5 - ? Another researcher out here has a "Jane" (b. 1823) listed m. to a
Wm. Huffman HIGDON (Major) but my records do not show her... have to
look into this. Could be my gg !?!
6 - James b. 1838 (I've got records on his and need to drag them out
from basement). Will post anything I find.
7 - My gg Eliza Jane b. Ju 3, 1831 - d. Apr 2, 1922 Wetzel Co., VA/WV;
she had 10 children - posting will follow).

*NOTE: If you look on a map you'll see just how close these counties are
(along w/a few others) to the PA/MD lines. I live in MD so I'm pretty
familiar with the areas. Thou no one in my family has done this line
(yet) I'm making it this winters project as there are many loop holes here.

Thanks all.
Chrystie MYERS - Rootsweb List & Ancestry.com's Board Administrator
MOYERS MYRES MAYERS MAJOR COWGER BROOKOVER KRABAL SWECKER
MYERS HOMESTEAD: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~chrystiem/myersfam.html

This thread: