BUCK-L Archives

Archiver > BUCK > 1999-07 > 0932505450

From: <>
Subject: [BUCK-L] ReGarding Isaac of Putnam Co., TN
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:17:30 EDT

In a message dated 20-Jul-99 3:59:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

<< Hello,
I am interested in the Isaac BUCK family of Putnam County, TN. Isaac
was a witness at my GGG-Grandfathers will. Isaac owned a Dry Goods business
in the 1830's and beyond and I have some records from his entry book copied
from a microfilm from the TN State Lib & Arch.
I would like to exchange information and learn more about Isaac BUCK and
others of the BUCK family.
Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
Steve Jackson

~~~~~~~
Hi Steve,
You have come to the right BUCK list to find that data!!!
Now, where do you fit into the lineage?

WE, I should say all of us, the 60+ that are on-line cousins and
descendants of Jonathan BUCK and Zuriah COVALT BUCK,
have massed a great deal of data on Isaac and his doings.
Here is what I have and any further descendants I will provide
as well but suggest you check with them as well as follows.

~~~~~The 12th child of Jonathan and Zuriah Covalt BUCK~~~~~~

----2. Rev. Isaac Newton BUCK b: 20 Jun 1800 Carter Co., TN
m: 22 Mar 1818 Carter Co., TN. Isaac is on the White Co Tax list of 1825
for 600 acres and again in 1835 for 1055 acres (this was a land Grant
number 7358) and numerous other deeds in Punam Co.
Isaac was ordained by the PA Methodist Church Conference and sent to
Middle Tennessee in 1820.
He founded the New Salem Methodist Church in 1820 in the home of David
Huddleston. A New church was erected on a hill across from there.
The present building which was erected in 1925, is still located on the same
hill in Putnam Co. (cbt)
Isaac died 7 Sep 1873 Putnam Co., TN. and is buried with family in Isaac
Buck Cemetery by Buck Pond.(cbt) He was a farmer, merchant, preacher
& educator.
Isaac owned and operated a large general store. He also owned a line of
freight wagons that brought supplies into the area from Nashville.
Walter S. McClain, in his work, "A History of Putnam County, TN" said:
"Abraham & Jonathan (Buck) followed their preacher, brother, Isaac, to the
wilderness (of Putnam county). -"McClain names Thomas, not Jonathan,
as the father of Isaac, Jonathan, Sr., and Abraham.
Isaac founded Putnam county's first high school.
In the 1850's, Isaac & his son, Jonathan, built Andrews College, known
locally as "Buck's College." The school held classes up to the time of the
Civil War. It reopened as a private school and held classes until
Jonathan's death in 1885.
According to Cynthia Buck, The College had several names, first one being
Monticello Academy, then Andrews College and finally know as Buck's
College. The school was named for James Osgood Andre, a leading Bishop
in the Methodist Church and much loved by the Buck family. The school was
built upon a 140 acre tract of land bought in 1849. Construction was started
and the school opened in 1852 and remained open until the Civil War. They
offered Latin, English, math, the Classics and Bible studies. It was open
for
anyone , ages 6-90 who could pay the tutition or was willing to work to pay
the tuition. And attempt was made to reopen the school after the war, but
when Jonathan died in 1885, so did the school. What is left of the old
School
in still standing across form the Belle Acres Golf Course on Buck Mt. Rd.

Isaac was fluent in Latin, Greek and German,and well studied in
Mathematics and Theology. He was buried in Buck Cemetery, Dry Valley
Road, Cookeville, Putnam county, Tennessee. The cemetery record lists
its location as "off Buck Mountain Road near Buck Lake."
----+ Mary SIMMERLY b: 16 Nov 1791 TN. m:(license issued) 22 Mar 1818
Carter Co., TN. Margaret was her younger sister. (See Margaret above for
details on mother and father) d: On her 70th birthday, 16 Nov 1881 Putnam
Co., TN.(Mary says she died 16 Nov 1871) Buried in Buck Family Cem.,
Dry Valley Rd, Cookeville, Putnam Co., TN.

Rev. Isaac Newton BUCK and Mary SIMMERLY had the following
children (9):
Sarah BUCK 1819, m: Robert ROCKHOLD (ROCKWELL)
Jonathan BUCK 1820, m: Minerva A. ____ ,
Mary Jane BUCK 1823, m: Austin N. WEBB
Enoch J. BUCK 1827, m: Catherine C. QUARLES
Lafayette B. BUCK 1829, m: Elizabeth J._____
Tabitha E. "Bertha" BUCK 1830, m: Benjamin CELTIS (sb says CURTIS)
Martha Caroline BUCK 1832, m: Curtis MILLS
Eliza Ann BUCK 1834, m: Pleasant Taylor POTEET
Isaac Newton BUCK Jr. 1838, m(1): Eliza Jane FRANCE,
m(2) Nancy
Ann WILMOTH
~~~~~~~~
Other contact who are descended from Isaac and Mary are:
Mickey SKYRING, Baton Rouge, LA
---- “”
Cynthia Michelle Buck THOMPSON, Upper Marlboro, MD
----""
Sandy BREWER, Fort Worth, TX
-----"sandy "
Shelly ARCHER, No contact.