BUDD-L Archives

Archiver > BUDD > 2003-01 > 1043086701

Subject: [BUDD] Re: BUDD FAMILY - England to NJ and PA.
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:18:21 EST

In a message dated 1/20/03 5:23:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> It seems from correspondence here that this line from ca 1450 is
> "well-known" in the US; could someone put up a brief synopsis, with the
> documentary sources, to share with us all and quieten down us doubters?
>
> Richard Miller

I hope Ida, our listmaster, can help us out here. Remember all those
discussions we had several years ago regarding the Burlington Co, NJ/Phila,
PA. BUDDs? Those on the list at that time quoted these sources. Here are a
few that I know of:
1) Gloucester Co. Hist. Society Library publication:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~njglouce/gchs/

GENEALOGICAL CHART OF THE BUDD FAMILY OF NEW JERSEY by S H. Scheib.
This elongated chart shows hundreds of descendants of the Rev. Thomas Budd of
Somersetshire, England, who settled in New Jersey in the 17th Century. Chart
is 36" x 72"; 1906, redrawn 1966; repr. 1992; G.C.H.S.
$18.00 + $3.50 postage.

2)Excerpts from a book:

"Good Order Established in Pennsylvania and New Jersey"“

Author: Thomas Budd

Father was Rev.. Thomas Budd of Martock, Somersetshire, England, died in jail
because of his Quaker faith.

Thomas BUDD arrived Burlington, N.J. 1678

Receiver General 1681

Returned to England 1684

Returned to N.J.1685 with brother, James Budd

Thomas petitioned Province of Pennsylvania to start bank.

Thomas erected row of houses on Front Street, adjoining the drawbridge, or
dock. At the Blue Anchor Tavern on the south and extending towards toward
Walnut St.

Will probated in March 1698.

Thomas had a wife Susanna, two sons, John and Thomas, and two daughters, Mary
and Rose.

John, one time Sheriff of Philadelphia County, moved to Hanover, N.J. Died
1754 and left Wife Sarah and son Berne, who left sons, John C. and David.

John C. left sons, Berne W. , Vincent, and John S., who lived near Chaltam,
N.J

Brothers of Author Thomas were: James who drowned in Burlington. John who
died in Phila. In 1704 without issue, and William who died 1723 on a farm in
Northhampton Twp., Burlington, County, about 4 miles west of Mt. Holly. He
was buried at the Episcopal Church of St. Mary’s in Burlington.

3) "PioneerFamilies from NW New Jersey" by William C. Armstrong

4) Betty Budd Carlisle, The Budd Family 1981: 3 centuries of Budds
5)
George Keith. New-England's spirit of persecution. [New York], 1693.

<A HREF="http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/academics/courses/is182/s01/033.html">; </A>Author: Keith, George, 1639?-1716.
Title: New-England's spirit of persecution transmitted to Pennsilvania, : and
the pretended Quaker found persecuting the true Christrian-Quaker, in the
tryal of Peter Boss, George Keith, Thomas Budd, and William Bradford, at the
sessions held at Philadelphia the nineth, tenth and twelfth days of December,
1692. Giving an account of the most arbitrary procedure of that court. [New
York] : Printed [by William Bradford?], in the year 1693.
Notes: Attributed to George Keith in: Smith, Joseph. A descriptive catalogue
of Friends' books, v. 1, p. 27. Apparently a joint effort of Keith and Thomas
Budd, including also Bradford's account of the trial. Cf. Eames, Wilberforce.
The first year of printing in New York, p. 9. The American Antiquarian
Society copy is inscribed: Printed by William Bradford and perhaps the first
book printed in New York. Signatures: pi1 A-C4 E4 F4(-F4) Evans 642. Wing
(2nd ed.) K186. Microfiche. [New York : Readex Microprint, 1985] 11 x 15 cm.
(Early American imprints. First series ; no. 642)
Subjects: Keith, George, 1639?-1716. Boss, Peter. Budd, Thomas, d. 1698.
Bradford, William, 1663-1752. Society of Friends -- Doctrinal and
controversial works. Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania. Appeal from the
twenty eight judges. Freedom of the press -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
Trials (Sedition) -- Pennsylvania. Sedition -- Pennsylvania.
Other entries: Bradford, William, 1663-1752. Budd, Thomas, d. 1698. United
States Pennsylvania Philadelphia. Early American imprints. First series ; no.
642.
Call numbers: Main Lib Microfiche M 00235 no. 642 Micro

6) More About REV. THOMAS BUDD:
First Families: East Jersey1
FTM: vol # 26121
Profession: Vicar of Montacute, Somersetshire, Eng

7)Notes for THOMAS BUDD:
736 THE COMPENDIUM OF AMERICAN GENEALOGY vol 4

BUDD, Thomas (b 1646; son of Rev. Thomas, of Somersetshire, Eng.); a
Quaker; a propr. Province of Jersey, 1668; author of "Good Order
Established In Pa. and N.J. In America." 1683; also of a proposal to
create vocational education in the public school and the appropriation
of public lands for educational purposes; mern. Assembly, 1682-85;
Gov.'s Council, 1682-83; treas., 1683; m 1667. Susanna, dau. of William
Robinson.
8) Excerpt from "Pioneer Families of Northwestern New Jersey", William C.
Armstrong, 1979
F133 .A745 1979
Pg 256-263

This Rev. Thomas Budd was a graduate of Merton College, University of
Word. He never came to America. He was an Episcopal clergyrnan; but
later he accepted the doctrines of George Fox, renounced his benefice,
and suffered bitter persecution for his faith. So far as known, no
kinship has been proved between Lieutenant John Budd and the Rev. Thomas
Budd. In 164 6 the Rev. Thomas Budd married Johnna. Knight. They had
five sons. We list four who settled at Burlington. " Four sons of the
Rev. Thomas and Johanna Knight Budd of England:
I. Thomas Budd, Jr., born 1645, married Susannah Robinson in England and
had children born there. He came to New Jersey alone in 1668, but went
back and came again ten years later in the ship Kent. With him came his
wife and children and his three brothers and their families, in all a
company of 25 souls.
II. William Budd, born 1649, or 1650, died March 20, 1721/2, married Ann
Claypoole. He joined the Episcopal Church and became a warden.
III. John Budd, died before 1738, He soon removed from Burlington to
Philadelphia and prospered there as a merchant. He married and had three
sons, Samuel, John, Jr., and George; these were the progenitors of the
Philadelphia Budds.
IV. James Budd, became a member of the Assembly. Stephen Wickes states
that James married and left at least one child, William. James was
drowned in the Delaware River at Burlington in 1692. These four brothers
were Jersey pioneers, but not one of them dwelt in Morris County at
least for any length of time, although they may have owned land there.
The Morris County pioneer was John Budd of Whippany, son of Thomas, Jr.,
named above.
Four children of Thomas and Susanna Robinson Budd, Jr.
i . John Budd, died 1749. He made his will when he was very old. It was
written, March 20, 1749, and was probated September 6th, the same year.
This is the John Budd who is designated in these articles as John of
Whippany,
ii. Thomas Budd, of whom nothing further.
iii. Mary Budd, of whom nothing further.
iv. Rose Budd, of whom nothing further.
John Budd of Whippany in his will mentions several tracts of land:

9) Additional Sources:
Genealogical and Memorial History of the State of New Jersey, by Francis
Brazley Lee,
New York 1910
"Good Order" reprint of William Gowans NY 1865 also
Burrows Bros. Co Cleveland 1902).
In Gaskill Genealogy, by Elizabeth Potts Koleda, 1988 page 376 it states
"Thomas Budd the immigrant from England in 1678...." "Seventeenth
Century Colonial Ancestors", p39 there is mentioned a William Budd
(1615-1673) N.J.; who
married Joanna Knight. Juror.; Landowner.
"Rector of Martock, Co. Somerset, Quaker, ca.1657, m 1645, Johanna Knight."
Budd Family Genealogy Data 1638-1938, RN 170805, FHL #1033909.
"settled at Burlington, N.J., bet. 1653-57; m. 1653, Johanna Knight;" Budd
Family,
1981, pub. the Budd Family Association.
10) As for me and what I feel comfortable with:
Thomas BUDD (m. Sarah Johnson) b. 1582 > Rev. Thomas Budd, b. 1617,d. 1670 in
prison Somersetshire, England > Hon. William BUDD, b.1649-50 Somersetshire,
England, d. 1723, Southhampton, Burlington Co. NJ - 4 of 5 sons of Rev.
Thomas emigrated to America - NJ and Pennsylvania (William, James, John, and
Thomas) m. Anne Clapgut Claypoole 1676 in Somerset, England > William BUDD,
Jr. b. 1679/80 in Somersetshire, England m. Elizabeth Stockton abt. 1703
Burlington Co. MM, NJ (Quaker Meeting Hall), > William BUDD, b. 1708
Burlington Co, NJ m. Susanna Cole 1737 Burlington Co, NJ > Eli BUDD, b. 1748
m. Anne Carman 1774 in Cumberland Co, NJ. Eli moved from Burlington Co. to
Cumberland Co, NJ and operated a Forge and Furnace with 2 of his sons (Budd's
Furnace/Cumberland Furnace) > John BUDD, b. 1780 Cumberland Co. m. Abigail
Godfrey 1802 in Cumberland Co, NJ > Anna "Nancy" Parsons BUDD, b. 1803 Budd's
Furnace, Cumb. Co. m. Jacob Vanaman 1821, Port Elizabeth, Cumberland Co. >
Ann Eliza Vanaman, b. 1828, Maurice River Twp, Cumb. Co, NJ m. John G.
Scudder 1848, Port Elizabeth > Francis Asbury Scudder, b. 1851 > Lillian
Stevens Scudder > ...... to me.

Hope some of this helps and that other sources will be noted on the list.
Regards, Joan

Joan Lacy Fitzsimmons

Researching - US: LACY/LACEY, SCUDDER, AICHELE, VANAMAN, BUDD, MOOD (MUTH),
HUTCHINSON, BATES, BROOKS, CRANE, LADD, and sundry others.
Collateral lines: GANDY, GODFREY, CORSON. (all in New Jersey)

This thread: