BUITENPOSTEN-L Archives

Archiver > BUITENPOSTEN > 2011-07 > 1309615671

From: "Simon du Plooy" <>
Subject: [BP] 963 Days at the Junction: Days 676-690
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 16:07:51 +0200

August 1901

Saturday 17 August

Anna Hendrina Kotze (42y10m-Smithfield)

Cecilia Maria Erasmus (23y-Ladybrand)

Esia Engelbertus Steyn (2y1m-Thaba Nchu)

Pieter Smuts (ongedoop)

Adriana Johanna Venter ((26y-Bethulie)

Anna Magrietha Elizabeth Du Plessis (25y-Dewetsdorp)

Sunday 18 August

Johannes Lambertus Nortje (12y8m-Philippolis)

Ferdinand Wihelmus Roberts (30y5m-Ladybrand)

Lewies Adriaan Louw (3y3m-Johannesburg

Tuesday 29 August

Petrus du Toit (1y9m-Ladybrand)

Emmerentia Johanna Van Zyl(18y4m-Dewetsdorp)

Friday 23 August

Hendriena Magdalena Venter (3y2m-Wepener)

Anna Sophia Roux( 26y-Fauresmith)

Sunday 25 August

Aletta Servina Els (2y3m-Heilbron)

Monday 26 August

Jan Christoffel du Toit

Cornelia Elizabeth Bothma (Dewetsdorp)

Johannes Jacob Brits (5y-Bloemfontein)

Wednesday 28 August

Petronella Maria Blignaut (3y11m-Ladybrand)

Saturday 31 August

Eric Wilson's description of a blockhouse and the blockhouse system in a
letter to his father:

"A blockhouse, I may add is a sort of bullet proof summer house with double
walls, the space between the walls being filled like a sandwitch with broken
stones to make it bullet proof and has loopholes all round for dozen or so
men to shoot from.The new scheme will bring them some 1400 yards only apart
-so that each has only to look after some 700 yards eavh side of it. If they
cannot prevent the boers crossing a chain of these blockhouses then I think
the garrison had better take to croquet or marbles!.."

Tot sover.

SdP

This thread: