BULMAN-L Archives

Archiver > BULMAN > 2004-01 > 1074407068

From: "rchayes" <>
Subject: [Bulman]
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:24:28 +1100

Absolutely fantastic! Fits Frederick A. to a T. If he was 75 in the
article, then it must have been written about 1946-7.

It is indeed my GGF and the grandchildren in Missoula were my aunt Helen
and my father Harlan LeRoy Hayes. He was visiting his son Percy H.
Bulman I suspect. Edwin had been killed at the Battle of the Bulge and I
think that Luella, Archie, and Eugene were out west on the farm in
Puyallup at the time, although I'm not sure about when Archie's accident
was.

My father's mother Verona (the only one still living) was born in a tar
paper shack that Fred built on their homestead in Wibaux, Montana. He
was a bounty hunter (four-legged)who spent much of his time alone
tracking in the Breaks country that was a hunting ground for my father
and my own generation. I do remember one story about how my grandmother
and her brothers tried to permanently straighten out the tails of the
pigs they tended when he was gone on one trip. By the time he had
returned the pigs were so distressed that he know that they had been up
to something and they had to confess their failures at producing porcine
coiffures.

His son in Washington was probably Eugene (Speed) who gave me my first
Cushman Eagle Motor Scooter when I was a teenager before I bought my own
Honda motorcycle. They all loved motorcycles (Harleys and Indians) which
is why I think my grandfather Otis A. Hayes fell in love with my
grandmother--they courted on an Indian which lead to one spectacular
accident that almost ended their relationship permanently (my middle
daughter looks just like her then). I spent many nights in the garage
with my father restoring Harleys from the twenties that had been stored
in Speed's barn in Puyallup, WA.

In the depression they rode in convoy on the motorcycles back and forth
from Michigan to Washington and back. They were accompanied by a shack
built on the bed of a ford truck. They worked where ever they could as
engineers, telephone line splicers and farm/ranch hands. Eventually,
they just sort of dropped off the convoy in various places like Missoula
and settled.

His grandmothers family (Mayer) were some of the early pioneers in Eau
Claire Wisconsin. His father and uncles were veterans in the Civil War.
He and his future wife's father (think this is how it goes) were in
Puerto Rico together during the SP-AM War. When I was much younger, I
used to don his service jacket with its medals and his hat and listen to
the stories handed down in the family about the Bulmans...but I always
heard the name pronounced as Bowman until I finally saw the war records
and found their name spelled, Bullman, Bulman, Bollman, etc.

Thanks much! I'll pass it on to Dad and Grandma immediately. I have
notes of a family tree that FAB wrote out and my Aunt typed up a number
of years ago that I can attach to an email if anyone is interested. It
is not correct in every detail as I am finding out, but it does provide
some interesting information.

Frederick (Rick) A. Hayes