BUNN-L Archives

Archiver > BUNN > 2001-09 > 0999929600

From: "Carla Tate" <>
Subject: [BUNN] Bennett Bunn Plantation
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 23:13:20 -0700

The Bennett Bunn Plantation in eastern Wake Co. NC is for sale. This
property has been designated a national historic landmark. I am forwarding
the message below which I have received from Robin Pugh of the Wake County
Historic Preservation Commission.

Bennett Bunn was the son of Benjamin Bunn and Catrin (Catherine) Massey.
Benjamin bought this land (on Moccasin Creek) from Richard Massey, believed
to be his father-in-law. Benjamin built a mill and a dam on the property
which were destroyed in an 1848 flood. Today some of Benjamin's property
has been, I believe, made into present-day Bunn Lake.

I think this is a shame that it cannot stay in the Bunn family. And I am
afraid that housing developments will eat away this large farm.

>From Robin Pugh:

"Here's a copy of an article from (Raleigh) The News & Observer :

December 7, 2000

A farewell to antebellum roots