BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 13 dtd. 14 Jun 1997 (edited)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 08:13:08 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 13
(issued as required by )
June 14, 1997
(all rights reserved)

This edition of the newsletter contains immigrant itinerary material, member
correspondence, and comments on Burgenland music.

ANSWER TO A QUESTION RE USING SOUNDEX
<< "Given an immigration year, use Soundex to order film covering arrivals
for that year, in order to find the arrival card." I am a little confused
about this procedure. If I have a immigration year, then I use the
surname-soundex????. >>

If you know the year your ancestor migrated you could find his ship and
landing card, but you would have to look at the manifests of every ship that
landed in NY (or other ports) for that year. HOPELESS TASK. So you use
soundex instead (a code indexing system that groups names with similar
sounds) which will group ALL names similar to the one you're looking for and
you only have to look at all the names for that soundex, a much simpler task.
This assumes that all you know is the immigration year. If you know the full
date, port of arrival and ship name, you just look for that manifest or the
ships that arrrived on that date. OK? By all means visit the FHCenter in
Salt Lake. Why not visit your local Family History Center first? Then you'll
be familiar with their filing system and what's available. Look in the phone
book under Mormon Church or Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
There should be one within striking distance of your home.

VISIT FROM ONE OF THE BUNCH
Anna and Rudy Kresh stopped by for an all too short visit a few weeks ago.
They were returning from a visit to their nephew at Bayse, VA. Anna (Tanzos)
recently joined our group and has been researching her family for less than a
year. Turns out we may be distantly related through marriage; Rudy was
working on his master's degree at Lehigh when I was an undergraduate; he
knows my wife's brother-in-law and we both have mutual acquaintances and
memories of the Lehigh Valley. We also found material to share that would
have been difficult to identify via email. One personal visit is to email
transmissions what a picture is to words!

BURGENLAND EMIGRANTS TO SOUTH DAKOTA
Dale Knebel has done some yeoman work in researching Burgenland settlers to
Eden, SD. This is a fascinating story in that the emigrants went to MN and
then to SD (most from the region of the SeeWinkel or Neusiedler See villages
from 1880-1900's). A large group stayed together and founded the town of
Eden, SD where their descendants live today. Their story has been recorded
and preserved in various books concerning Marshall County, Day County and the
town of Eden. Dale has graciously sent me copies of this material and has
recently compiled an emigrant listing which shows the family name, given
name, birth year, date of immigration, village of origin, first to fourth
place of settlement and settlement year. A monumental piece of work! Dale
tells me this material is available as a computer file for those members of
the group who have family in that region. I know of no other Burgenland group
whose emigration has been so well recorded. We are so concerned with
researching our individual families, that we don't find time to look at the
big picture sometimes. Fortunately Dale has, and his findings are an
important addition to the Burgenland story.

A BURGENLAND TO US ITINERARY FROM THE EDEN, SD GROUP
(extracted from History of Marshall County, SD, items in parenthesis are
editor's notes)

"Math and Theresa Zeniel and their three year old son, Joseph, were among the
last (Eden) imigrants to arrive in the United States. They were part of a
large group of young people who left Austria for America. They came from St.
Andrew (St. Andra" am Zicksee, in the See Winkel), Austria in 1927.

Boarding a train about 5 o'clock in the morning they arrived in Vienna about
8 o'clock that night (the author might be confused, unless a considerable
wait was involved, as Vienna is about 75 km from St. Andra). Boarding another
train they proceeded on their way through France where there was an
overnight layover.

All were bedded down on straw in one large building. However they arrived in
this place too to late in the evening to have supper served to them. Luckily
they had saved some food from their sack lunch which they had bought for one
dollar....For the rest of their journey they were fed well. Their next stop
was Charbukes (Cherbourg?). About two days later they were put aboard the
English ship, Ocivedonia (?), on which they enjoyed good food and
entertainment during the five days it took to cross the ocean. After landing
on Ellis Island, they were searched, vaccinated and allowed to clean up.

Then they were taken by smaller boats to the mainland, but...their son, Joe,
came down with a bad case of whooping cough and they were detained ten days
on the island....they were told that they would have to have $20...before
they could board a train going west. They contacted their uncle Mike Zeniel
in Eden and he made arrangements...to send money....after changes at Chicago
and St. Paul they arrived at Fairmont, MN. After a a few hours there they
were on a train again headed for Eden....they reached Lake City about 8 in
the evening. The whole trip cost about $500 plus a hat (head?) tax of sixty
dollars....Mr. Skola took them out to their uncle's farm....they lived with
Mike Zeniels for the first year."

IRISH QUESTION FROM BB MEMBER JOE GILLY
(please email Joe at if you can help)
Gerry, I'd like to pose a question for the B.B. Newsletter audience. I've
often mentioned my GILLY family's legend which held that our first GILLY
ancestor in Burgenland arrived from Ulster, in North Ireland. I was wondering
if any other members of the Burgenland Bunch had a similar Burgenland Irish
legend handed down through the generations. Perhaps they arrived as a group.
If so, it might open up some avenues for further research. I finally heard
from the Austrian Military Archives in Vienna. They answered in German, so
I'm still struggling with the translation. They have a record of an infantry
Captain, Nicolaus Gilli (or Gilly) von Gilburg, who served from 1794-1829.
>From What I can glean, he was born in the Italian Tirol. It doesn't sound
like there is any connection. If I find anything new when I complete the
translation, I'll pass it along. (ed. note-I too have some minor clues
concerning possible family migration from the Tyrol-anyone else?)

BURGENLAND MUSIC
Albert Schuch asked if we were aware of any sources of ethnic Burgenland
music. This would probably include Austrian, Hungarian, Croatian, Slovenian
(any others?).

One evening in a Buschenshank (Burgenland Heurige or new wine room-usually a
farmer's home where you go in the Fall to drink new wine and eat home smoked
pork products and sometimes pastry) near Rudersdorf with a group of
Burgenland tour bus members. I heard some great acappella folk music. They
used a lead voice with the rest in chorus. It was awesome and I was told
traditional folk music. I asked if any had ever been taped and was told no.
Music like folk tales can supply clues of origin. If anyone knows of any
Burgenland music, please let us know.

My mother (Frida Sorger Berghold Carpenter) had a large collection of ethic
German- Austrian -Hungarian music on 33 1/3 records. I taped some of it, but
I don't remember any Burgenlnder music as such. A lot of Ober-Krain
(Slovenia) and Viennese and German, Lndler, polkas, waltzes and "Schrammel
musik" (violin, guitar and accordion) plus the classics (Haydn, Mozart,
Bartok, Kodaly, Lehar, Liszt, Strauss, father & sons, Waldteufel, etc.). In a
recent BG newsletter, Dr. Dujmovits mentions that Euro-Class Music released a
tape and compact disc by ALEX (Alex Meixner) "Famililiar Faces in New Places"
(MC-961/CD961)-sixteen polkas and waltzes (accordion and other). I understand
there are at least 2 other discs. Contact Euro-Class Music, 5562 Route 145,
Laurys Station, PA 18059. (I've requested their catalog) I also have most of
Willi Boskovski's Vienna Philharmonic concerts and his chamber
music-wonderful. I guess he's retired (or deceased), but he was a reborn
Strauss! He could even direct with violin in hand.

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, For information
concerning the Burgenland Bunch, contact .

This thread: