BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 15 dtd. 14 Jul 1997 (edited)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 08:14:19 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 15
(issued as required by )
July 14, 1997
(all rights reserved)

This edition of the newsletter contains a potpourri of articles concerning
the Burgenland dialect, sending money to Europe, German language translator,
marriage record headings, Oberwart News 1926-28 and more on food and maps.

QUESTION RE PRONUNCIATION
<< Why do the Austrians pronounce Gu"ssing's name " Gursing" and the
Burganlanders around here call it "Geesing?" On a train going to Vienna, we
told a couple of salesmen that we stayed near "Geesing" and they couldn't
understand where it was that we stayed until someone else on the train said
that perhaps we were talking about "Gursing." >>question from Joe Tanzos

ANSWER
The umlaut " pronunciation is difficult to explain. is supposed to be like
a soft "eei" or our "y" (without the wh in why but with a soft "i"), which in
some people comes out "eeehhh" or "urrhh". The similarity is only approximate
and differs in various locales. There are many different well known German
dialects and both the pronunciation and meaning of words changes. The
Austrian (Viennese-a form of low German) is among the softest sounding
(something like our southern drawl). I think it sounds very cultured and
pleasant. Listen to Viennese radio on short wave. The further north you go,
the harder and more precise the sound. Berlin and Prussian German becomes
almost clipped and guttural. In south Burgenland, German really takes a twist
and almost becomes something new (called "burgenlndisch" or Hianzen from a
12th Century noble who brought the first Germans to the area). I too have
trouble with Germans and Austrians understanding my umlaut pronunciation.
You'd have the same problem in other languages like French and Spanish. Some
Germans-Austrians don't understand each other much less an "Auslander" like
us. Our mouths are not used to forming the particular local sounds. I had a
landlady in Zell am See say "Oh your German is so good, I have no trouble
understanding you!". Turns out she was from the Burgenland and my German uses
the inflections of my Burgenland grandparents. Language experts will tell you
that the most important factor in the development of separate languages is
the "sound shift" which is part of what we're talking about. In other words,
given enough time a language will turn into something new.

I wonder what we'll be speaking worldwide two hundred years from now as the
world shrinks? Of course we have the same problem here. I've been in Virginia
over 12 years and I have trouble understanding certain words used by the
locals. On the Eastern shore of Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and in some of
the mountain states they're still using "olde English" words and terms.

SENDING MONEY TO AUSTRIA
Call Ruesch International, 700 Eleventh St. NW, Washington, DC 20001-4507.
Phone 800-424-2923. Tell them you want a check in so many Austrian Schillings
made out to: (the party you owe). They'll ask for your credit card data and
tell you what the charge is. I understand they only charge a few bucks for
small amounts. They'll ask for your address and mail you a check made in
foreign currency (schillings) cashable in Austria.

MORE ON FOOD (from Ernest Chrisbacher)
Enjoyed very much your Burgenland Bunch News No. 14A about food. All of my
grandparents came from Veszprem County, but the food I remember was very
similar. Some of the items that I didn't find in your article are:
1.)Milschgriessuppe (we called it Griesstaetsch or something like that);
2.)Nuckerl Soup (Hu"hnersuppe mit Griess-Nockerl);-chicken soup with semolina
dumplings- 3.)Brussas ?sp, (potato pancakes). Ed. note:Does anyone have a
good recipe for these?
A pretty good cookbook that I have is: "Kochbuch der Donauschwaben", by Magda
Waigand, 1993, Printed by Emil Sommer, Buchdruckerei u. Verlag, Gru"nstadt.
(ed. note: the Donau Schwabian migration to Hungary, while primarily to the
Banat along the former Yugoslavian border probably spilled over into the
Burgenland.)

USING GLOBALINK POWER TRANSLATOR COMPUTER SOFTWARE,
GERMAN TO & FROM ENGLISH (from Bob Unger)
>>I received my first copies of the Burgenlandische Gemeinschaft. Since it
is in German, I scanned the first page of the January/February issue, #345,
then edited the scanned version to include all the umlauts, and next used my
translator, Globalink Translator 6.0. The translator took about 30 minutes
for that one page and the results were not that great. Have you found any
good technique for computer translations from German to English?<<

ANSWER
No. I get the same garbled translations. It's better going from English to
German if I use simple sentences. Subject, verb, direct object, few
modifiers, simple adjectives and adverbs, no descriptive phrases, etc. German
to English is only a slight help. You must do a LOT of editing. Better than
using just a dictionary though. I also use Globalink, Power Translator
(Windows Version update) and I understand it's the best available. Originally
cost me $250. There is a commercial version at $495. Problems for the
computer software are convoluted or involved syntax, proper nouns, local or
archaic expressions and slang. Also, the software doesn't know how to handle
synonyms. For instance is "column" the architectural noun or the publishing
term? You must be very simple and precise in using Power Translator. I view
it as an electronic dictionary. Unfortunately, German writing is very
convoluted so you do get poor translations.

GU"SSING PICTURE COMMENT (from John Unger)
<<The graphic of Gu"ssing you sent me brings back fond memories. I remember
my father having a similar photo, and being the amateur painter that he is,
scanning it using an eyepiece to enlarge the houses and landscape. He then
sketched it on a canvas and eventually painted it in oil. It still hangs in
his living room today. Thanks for the memory >>

REPLY
The comment about your father making a painting of Gu"ssing is wonderful. I
had a cousin who did the same thing and then gave it to my grandmother for a
Xmas present. I just wonder how many paintings or pictures of Gu"ssing can be
found hanging in homes in the US. Mine is a framed color photo from an
Austrian calendar. I also have an aerial photo of Eltendorf which was given
to me by the Gemeinde Amt secretary when I was there last. Pre WWII, there
was a series of Austrian postage stamps showing some of the historic sites of
the Burgenland.

QUESTION RE HUNGARIAN & LATIN HEADINGS ON RC MARRIAGE RECORDS
<< I finally got to the LDS center here in Pittsburgh and looked for the
records suggested. I didn't get too far. I'm stuck on the headings on the
first film (0700669/0700670) Do you know any of the following?<< (from Joan
Straub)

ANSWER
You are looking at the Jennersdorf RC church records. Well, I'll try! In my
answers below, L means Latin, H-Hungarian. Generally, any Hungarian church
marriage record shows: (1)number of entry, (2)date of occurence, (3)name of
bride & groom, (4)age, (5)their birth place and/or residence, (6)occupation
or status, (7)name of parents (sometimes), (8)place of birth and or
residence, (9)names of witnesses, (10)place of residence of witnesses
(sometimes), (11)question as to publishing of bans, (12)name of officiating
priest, comments. The order in which some items appear may be switched or
omitted. Your questions follow that pattern. It appears you are reading
across the page, so you can almost guess at the answers. If you're looking
for the marriage of one your ancestors and don't know the date, look at the
records from the year they were 16 (very few married before then) and work
forward looking for their names. Somewhere between 16 and 25 you should find
them (unless there was a second marriage). In your case start with 1875 and
look for the marriage of Alois Knauss and Anna. Following are the items which
you mentioned:

NRUS CURRENS-L-abbreviation for numerous, "current number". Most priests
numbered their entries. It's the first entry to the record, generally before
the date. It's a way of counting (they report the total number of weddings,
etc. at the end of the year) and use it for indexing and referencing.

FOLYO-H-record (number), folyho means "on the 15th"

SZAM-H-number

ANNUS MENSIS ET DIES COPULATIONIS-L-year, month and day of the marriage

AZ ESKETES EVE ESKTES A NAPJA-H-what is the month and day of the marriage

NOMEN ET CONDITIO SPONSI ET SPONSAE-L-name and status (standing, occupation)
of the bride and bridegroom
NEV S POLGARI SORSA A JEGYESNEK-H-name and status of ?

LOCUS ORIGINIS ET DOMICILLE NUMERUS DOMUS-L-place of birth and residence and
house number
SZULITESUK S LAKASUK-H-place of birth

HELGE HAZAZAMUK-H-? I don't think this is spelled right, ha'z is house,
ha'zassa'g is marriage, haza is native country; hely is place

AETAS-L-age
KORUK-H-aged

NOMEN ET CONDITIO TESTIUM-L-name and staus of witnesses
A BEZONYSAGOK NEVE N POLGARI SORSA-H-?-as above?, name and birthplace of
witnesses?

NOMEN ET OFFECIUEM LANTIS -L-name of officiating (Lantis?-priest?)

AZ ESKETO NEVE ES HIVALALA-H-esketo means marry, neve is name, hivatal is
office-rest? (if you're going across the page, this would be the same as the
above)

NUM PROMILGIT VEL PESPENSATI EN BANUIS VEL ALIQUO IMPEDEMENTS-L-were the bans
(wedding) published (and was there) any impediment (to the marrige)

OBSERVATION-L-comment
ESZREBETELEK-H-observation

LDS microfilm no. 0700297 has Jennersdorf Civil marriage records 1895-1920.
You don't have to look at them unless they are in your research time frame.
Death and marriage records are most helpful if they show any of your people

ORDERING BURGENLAND MAPS (from Dale Knebel)
Earlier this year, the newsletter told of a map supplier, Omni Resources,
that I had found on the Net. I ordered two for the areas of Burgenland in
which I focus and am very pleased with them and recommend them. It took
since February to get mine but I have been assured that my experience is the
exception, not the rule. My original shipment was lost in the mail. The maps
are 1:50,000 topographical. The legend is in German but I can understand
that they show cities, roads, bridges, churches, castles, etc. They also
show smaller villages that are not on travel maps. The website for Omni
Resources is <http://www.omnimap.com>; and the e-mail address is
<>.

>From the homepage, go to the On-line Map Catalog. From there, go to
International Maps. Select Austria. Scroll down to Austria Topographic
Quadrangle Maps which has a catalog number of 16-1452. Check the Index Map
for your area. Add the map number to the catalog number when ordering. I
purchased 78 and 79. 78 covers as far as Sommerein on the north, a bit of
Podorsdorf on the east, Morbisch and Illmitz on the south and a bit of Hof on
the west, plus the bulk of the Neusiedler See. 79 covers as far as Purndorf
on the north, Nickelsdorf on the east, Tadten on the south, and Podorsdorf on
the west.

OBERWART SUNDAY NEWSPAPER 1926-27-28
Albert Schuch who supplies these delightful excerpts (I've found relatives
mentioned, how about you?) asked me if they'd be acceptable in German. He's
been laboriously translating them in addition to keying to computer. I told
him it wouldn't hurt to learn a little German, so in the future that's how
they'll be presented. We'll translate some of the words (in parens).

Oberwarther Sonntags-Zeitung 1926
- -------------------------------
Feb 31st-Danksagung: Ich unglcklicher Blinder, Stefan WEIS, 24 Jahre alt,
aus Aschau Nr. 17, in Sdamerika durch eine Explosion um das Augenlicht
gekommen danke auf diesem Wege allen meinen Brdern und Schwestern in
Nordamerika fr ihre Spenden.

Jun 6th-Unfall in Chicago: Der Magazinsarbeiter Alois SCHIPITZ (geboren
{born} in Sankt Michael) ist beim Abladen von Frucht aus einer Hhe von 8
Metern gestrzt, er war Protokoll- sekretr des Burgenlnder
Kranken-Untersttzungs-Vereins, hat Frau und Kind in der Heimat.
Aug 8th-(Markt) Allhau: Begraben (buried) wurde Franz UNGER. Er war vor 3
Jahren nach Amerika ausgewandert. Seine Witwe kam mit seiner Asche zurck.
(widow returned his ashes)

Sep 5th-25-Jahr-Jubilum (25th Anniversary) einer Ordensschwester in Amerika.
Schwester (sister) Maria Bertwina nahm den Schleier (viel) 1901 in
Philadelphia, wo sie mit 16 Jahren in den Konvent eintrat ... dann Easton,
Pa. ... dann als Oberin nach Bally, Pa. Sie wurde in Rudersdorf als Julianne
KNIG geboren, wanderte 1892 nach Amerika aus, hat 2 Schwestern in Allentown
(Mrs. Andrew FRANK, Mrs. John P. BRUCKER)

Oct 10th-Im Allentown Hospital ist Josef FLEISCHHACKER, Eigentmer des
American Hotel in Fogelsville, an den Folgen einer Schusswunde gestorben. Er
war 37 Jahre alt, stammte aus (came from) Inzenhof.

Oct 17th-Verschollen (Aufenthalt unbekannt) ist Johann HUBER: geboren 1882 in
Riedlingsdorf, 1906 nach Amerika ausgewandert.

Dec 5th-Louis UNGER, 40 Jahre alt, wurde in Allentown erschossen.

Oberwarther Sonntags-Zeitung 1927
- -------------------------------
Mar 13th-Am 23. Feber wanderten aus (emigrated from)Aschau 10 Burschen, aus
Buchschachen 4 Mnner und 2 Frauen nach Kanada aus. Unter Musik und
Glockengelute marschierten sie aus dem Dorf hinaus.(to the sound of music
and bells they marched out of the village)

Apr 17th-Ehrenerklrung: Ich, Matthias ZWITKOVICS von 5360 So. Wells St.
Chic. Ill., bedaure gegen Herrn Alois SCHIPITS von 5255 Princeton Ave. Chic.
Ill., ehrenrhrige Aeusserungen getan zu haben ...Chic., Ill., am 24.3.1927
M.Z. Zeugen: Frank KREMSNER, Ed. MATISCHOWITS

Sep 4th-Oberdorf: Verabschiedung eines Heimatbesuchers (Josef KONRATH,
Chicago) mit Fackelzug der Feuerwehr; die Musik spielte das Lied "So leb'
denn wohl du stilles Haus"

Sep 4th-Ehrenerklrung: Ich, Nikolaus KREMSNER (6052 Kenwood Ave, Chic.,
Ill.) erklre, dass die gegen meinen Bruder Franz KREMSNER (5351 So. Wells
St. Chic. Ill) im Jahre 1924 gemachte Beschuldigung, da er in
widerrechtlichen Beziehungen zu meiner Frau gestanden hat, nicht der Wahrheit
entspricht. Chic, Ill. am 13. August 1927; N.K. Zeugen: Konrad BERZKOVITS,
Ed. MATISCHOVITS

Oberwarther Sonntags-Zeitung 1928
- -------------------------------
Jan 15th-Der Burgenlnder Mnnerchor in Chicago veranstaltet am 7. Juli 1928
einen Ausflug ins Burgenland (Abfahrt in New York mit einem Dampfer
(steamship) der Hamburg-Amerika-Linien)

Mar 25th-Gestorben (died) in Allentown mit 44 Jahren: Franz OBERECKER,
geboren (born) in Heiligenkreuz, vor 27 Jahren ausgewandert; Er hinterlaesst
(leaves) seine Gattin, 2 Shne, 4 Tchter, 1 Bruder und 1 Schwester in
Allentown; seine Mutter und 1 Schwester in Heiligenkreuz.

Apr 1st-Die Hamburg-Amerika-Linie hat eines ihrer Schiffe Burgenland'
benannt (named one of their ships Burgenland)

Apr 29th-Gestorben in Passaic mit 21 Jahren: John FRHMANN, vor 3 Jahren von
Urbersdorf.

Jul 29th-Neumarkt im Tauchental: Heimatbesuch (journey home) von Johann
LIEBENTRITT; nach 26 Jahren in Pittsburg besuchte (visited) er seine
80jhrige Mutter.

Aug 5th-Gestorben (died) in Coplay Lena FEILER (44), geborene BODISCH aus
Neustift; sie hinterlaesst (leaves behind-is survived by) 9 Kinder, 8 davon
leben (of which live) in Amerika.

Aug 12th-Autounfall (auto accident) nahe Kirbyville, bei Reading: Gettet
(dead) wurde Anton PILLER, 47, aus Northampton; schwer verletzt John SIMON,
218 Spruce St., Allentown; unverletzt blieb John PREINSBERGER, der
Schwiegersohn von Anton PILLER, Lenker des Autos; alle 3 waren auf einer
Baustelle in Reading beschftigt, waren unterwegs dorthin.

Oct 21st-Todesfall in West Coplay: PAMMER, 15 Jahre alt, Eltern aus (parents
are from) Tschanigraben und Eltendorf.

Nov 25th-Gestorben in McKees Rocks mit 31 Jahren Alois MAYER aus Neustift (1
Bruder und 2 Schwestern in Allentown)

Dec 2nd-Gestorben sind in Amerika: auf einer Farm bei Beersville: Marie
FLAMISCH, geborene TAPLER, 71 Jahre als, aus Neustift bei Gssing (wohnte bei
ihrem Sohn Josef); in Allentown

Anna POELTL, 75, geboren in Rosenberg bei Gssing, seit 21 Jahren in
Allentown; in McKees Rocks: der Eigentmer des Zentral-Hotels, Louis MAYER,
42, vor 16 Jahren ausgewandert;
in Coplay: Rudolf STRANZL, 68; geboren in Rosenberg; seit ca. 29 Jahren in
Amerika; Tochter Theresia Holler in Allentown, 3 Kinder im Burgenland.

Dec 9th-Hochzeit (married) in McKees Rocks: John DEUTSCH aus Weichselbaum,
und Pauline LUSSER aus Eberau.

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, For information
concerning the Burgenland Bunch, contact .

This thread: