BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 17, dtd. 15 Aug 1997 (edited)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:57:43 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 17
(issued bi-weekly by )
Ausust 15, 1997
(all rights reserved)

This edition of the newsletter contains articles concerning Burgenland
Peasant Land Transfers following 1848, more on food, translation software,
Donau Schwabian movement, McDonald's recent Austrian faux pas, Nazareth, PA
Cement mills.

A FAMILY MYSTERY MAY BE SOLVED!
Johann Berghold (Janos-the senior) was born 2 Jun. 1830 in Poppendorf. His
son and a grandson, who was my grandfather {GJB} were all named Janos. He was
baptized 3 Jun. 1830 , in the RC church in Knigsdorf (his mother Barbara
Gamler was Catholic, father Georg, b25 Jul. 1790, was Lutheran). Johann
married Terezia Krabath (Kroboth) 6 Mar. 1848 in Martin Luther Kirche,
Eltendorf. They had seven children. Johann was a big man, over 6 feet and
very strong. A daughter's marriage record shows his occupation as a
"Kovacsmueves", which translates blacksmith. According to family legend, on
or before 24 Jul. 1863, he had an argument with two soldiers (probably
Hungarian Panduren) who either tried to requisition a horse or were bothering
his wife. An argument developed. Janos over powered them (some think he used
a gun, but as big as he was, he probably used a blacksmith's hammer) and
locked them in a shed. He went to the pastor in Eltendorf (that would have
been Pastor Franz Unger, pastor of Martin Luther Kirche from 1843 to 1866),
and told him what he had done. He probably wanted advice or help. We don't
know what the pastor told him, but he came home, locked himself in the barn
and hung himself at nunber 44 Poppendorf when police came (summoned by the
Pastor?). The Eltendorf church record shows "ongyilkossag" (suicide) as
cause of death. He was buried in Poppendorf cemetery on 25 Jul. 1863. He was
33 years old. His son Johann must have continued the blacksmith business
since he too is later listed as a blacksmith. I have never seen any official
papers concerning this event, but the story was well known in Poppendorf and
all facts uncovered in church records appear to confirm it. Albert Schuch
recently came across some infirmation that may provide the answer as to why
this happened. The reason for the incident may be as follows and was probably
repeated in many villages throughout the Burgenland.

(from Albert Schuch)
The Gssinger Zeitung of 22nd Aug 1926 reports an incident related to the
"Kommassierung" in Urbersdorf in 1861. Definition of "Kommassierung": Due to
a law of 1848, the farmers were to become landowners.

Of the estimated value of the land, they had to pay one third (to the
Grundherrschaft as the former owner). One third was to be paid for by the
government. So the Herrschaft (nobility) received two thirds of the estimated
value of the land given to the peasants. (Large estates remained in the hands
of the aristocracy!) Now this whole process of land surveying and estimating
its value was called "Kommassierung".

In many cases the farmers were not at all happy with it or with the way it
was carried through. In Urbersdorf the "Kommassierung" started in 1860. It
must have caused some sort of small-scale revolution, because the "Panduren"
(a name for a military unit, maybe some kind of military police) were called
in. When they arrived on 27th Aug 1861, 17 year old Julianna MARTH rang the
church bells to warn the inhabitants. The soldiers shot her.

As for Poppendorf, a map of this village's "Hatar" (= "Hotter" in German,
meaning the whole Gemeinde area) with the individual possessions was drawn in
1863. This could mean that the "Kommassierung" was finished in this year. So
I thought, maybe there is some relation (between the survey, civil unrest and
my 2g-grandfather's death).

MORE ON FOOD
This special edition subject has almost become a thread. It generated more
comment than some of our more well researched and scholarly articles.
Following is some more interesting comment:

>> For feast days and holidays, goose was the first item of choice. Geese
were force fed with corn to enlarge their liver <<
Many geese meet their fate on 11th Nov, which is the feast of Saint Martin,
the "Schutzpatron" of Burgenland. These miserable creatures are called
"Martinigansl".
>> It's feathers would later stuff home made pillows. <<
Have you ever heard of the "Federnschleissen"? This is a kind of a village
ritual. A group of women meet on winter evenings to prepare the feathers for
further use (for pillows). The cover of the "Tondokumente" CD (a CD of
Burgenland folk music) carries a picture of this 'event'. Today fewer farmers
own fewer geese, so the "Federnschleissen" is getting less and less
common.(A. Schuch)

>>The one about the ethnic food was outstanding, as it brought back many
memories. <<
Yes we had the "ein-brandt" soup, "stetz" and many others. Thought I'd add
two other goodies that I didn't read about in the letter. My Mom would make
"Lindsen Groepfen" (Linzer Torte?) which were delicious, & generally made on
special occasions. They were a 2"x3" cookie made with many layers of very
thin dough, and always had a sprinkling of white powdered sugar on top. I
remember them being there at all weddings, anniverseries, etc. Another goodie
was the "Dubosh - Torte", which was a multi layer cake. Regular cake
diameter, but quite high depending on the number of layers. (Frank Teklits)

LANGUAGE TRANSLATOR ITEM (Anna Kresh)

TRANSLATE THIS!
>>At next week's Internet World here in Chicagoland, attendees are expecting
to see cool Internet applications, far and wide. One such cool
product--called TFS Translator from TenFour and Globalink Inc.--allows
multilingual translation for outgoing e-mail. Tres formidable, thus spake The
UberCrust. TFS Translator can handle French, German, Spanish, Portuguese,
Italian and English translations. Say you want to send an email in English to
someone in Germany who doesn't speak the Queen's E (ach du lieber!). You'd
send a command to the TFS Translator via the e-mail address field as E-G: (E
for English and G for German) followed by the recipient's Internet address.
The recipient will then receive the translated message in the e-mail body and
the original message, in its original language, as an attached text file. And
guess what? The darn thing works. The companies told Your Watery Wayfarer
that TFS Translator will be "available in third quarter 1997." "As both large
and small organizations expand on a global level, reliable message
translation is a vital tool," said John Hetzer, national sales manager for
TenFour US. "TFS Translator breaks down the language barriers and allows
businesses to communicate without limitations."<< Pricing will depend on the
languages you require.

DONAU SCHWABIANS IN THE BURGENLAND
If you think your people may have been part of the Danube Schwabian (DS)
migration, you will be interested in this atricle extacted by Albert Schuch.
Most DS migrated to the Banat of Yugoslovia, but some could have ended up in
the Burgenland as explained below.

Summary of an article by Fritz POSCH: "Schwabenzge in die Steiermark", in:
"Zeitschrift des historischen Vereins fr Steiermark", 1953, p.98-112

In 1706 Count Franz Karl KOTTULINSKY married Baroness Maria Antonia ROTTAL
and thus acquired the Styrian domains NEUDAU and UNTERMAYERHOFEN, both
situated at the Hungarian border (10 kms north west of Stegersbach). Most
villages of these two domains were looted and torched by the "Kuruzzen" in
1704, 1707 and 1708. The loss of population was not that heavy, for most
people were able to hide in the woods. Since this was the time of the first
large-scale German colonisation of Hungary (usually areas to the east and
south-east of Burgenland), Count Kottulinsky made - probably by chance -
contact with a group of emigrants mostly "Schwaben" from the Bodensee-area in
early Sep 1712. He met them in Vienna on their way to Hungary. (They were
traveling on the river Danube.)

It can be assumed that they had already signed contracts with a domain owner
in Hungary. Nonetheless Count K. managed to persuade 12 families (63 persons)
to settle in his Styrian domains. On foot they marched from Vienna (11th Sep)
to Neudau (16th Sep). They all came from the Bodensee-area, and they carried
documents and passports showing that they were heading for Hungary. These
documents were made out between 13 Jul and 12 Aug. Martin SCHERER from St.
Peter in the Schwarzwald described his journey: He had marched 20 miles to
the city of ULM, where they had boarded the ships that carried them 180 miles
down the river Danube, for which they were charged 5 Gulden and 4 Kreuzer per
person.

Most of these people left soon for Hungary, but some did stay, including the
Martin SCHERER mentioned above. He traveled to his home village in Dec 1712
and successfully persuaded others to come to Neudau too. By the end of April
1713 a group of emigrants left for Neudau, which they reached on 22 May.

In June 1713 Martin Scherer left for this homeland for the second time. He
left the Schwarzwald with new emigrants. They traveled via PASSAU (9 Aug),
GMUNDEN (14 Aug), BAD ISCHL (15 Aug), AUSSEE (16 Aug), ROTTENMANN (20 Aug),
LEOBEN (22 Aug),

WEIZBERG (26 Aug). On Aug 29 the 10 families (59 persons) arrived in NEUDAU.

The emigrants are described as decent and honest people who left their homes
because of high taxes and inflation (caused by war), also because of
overpopulation. In 1713 at least 24 families arrived in Neudau. But they did
not find the "promised land" and so by the spring of 1714 some of them had
already left again. Finally, only 12 families stayed. The settlers remained
in touch with their homeland (visits, letters).

In 1717 a group of the "Schwaben" left, all the remaining did so overnight in
1723. It is supposed that they went to Hungary, were they were expecting
better conditions.

A settlement of some of these "Schwaben" in southern Burgenland must be
considered possible for geographical reasons (though I think it is more
likely they went further to the (south) east). I add all the family names
mentioned. Details (age, origin) can be provided from the article:
Nagel, Gerer, Helbok, Schoblach, Grabher, Sandholzer, Rusch, Lorinser, Erner,
Krotz, Brechter, Fallenthor, Messmer, Mercklin, Reichart, Stiering, Schwarz,
Scherer, Heutz, Leibinger, Paumann, Lutzenberger, Fuchs; Dilger (Dillinger),
Hug, Pfaff, Hbding, Andres, Holtzmann, Scherzinger, Saumb, Teusch, Rohrer,
Werthmller, Lkhert, Kuenle, Waldvogel, Lffler, Dolt, Pfndler, Schwerer;
Drescher, Riether, Fehrnbach, Relly (Rely, Reily), Schuller, Werthmller,
Scherzinger, Andres.

MORE ON NAZARETH, PA & THE CEMENT MILLS
Just a note to tell members I recently visited Nazareth,Pa. with my father
and mother to see if we could find any information about the cement factories
which employed so many Austrian immigrants in the early 1900's.We followed
the street signs to the Nazareth Visitor Center which was a private dwelling
owned and now donated by the Martin family (still making acoustical guitars)
in Nazareth.They have a small booklet you can buy about the history of the
cement factories and the workers in early Nazareth.There is still an old
abandoned cement factory within 5 minutes of Main St. which can give you a
good idea of the conditions under which immigrants worked.

There is now one large cement company in Nazareth with a few locations
throughout town.Still seems to be the primary employer for Nazareth.They have
an operating factory and truck loading depot next to the abandoned site we
were looking at.Within 5 minutes we were all covered with a fine dust from
the trucks being loaded and my car had a cement overcoat.

Sure made me think about your last comment about lung diseases suffered by
workers! My father even remembers his dad telling him that during the summer
months the cement on their clothes would harden with their sweat and would
actually crack their clothes.No wonder so many workers such as my grandfather
went back home to Burgenland after WW I when travel was possible again.OSHA
obviously has missed this town in it's effort to make the workplace safe.Many
of the town's shops still have German and Austrian surnames and might be
worth a trip if you are in the area.One word of caution:Bring your
dustmask!.Sincerely, John J. Unger

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, For information
concerning the Burgenland Bunch, contact .

This thread: