BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L ArchivesArchiver > BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER > 1999-06 > 0930578328
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 19, dtd 15 Sept 1997 (edited)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:58:48 EDT
THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 19
(issued bi-weekly by )
Septemebr 15, 1997
(all rights reserved)
This edition of the newsletter features an Austrian-Hungarian listing of
Moson village names, article to the Oberwart News, , early Lutheran family
migration, notes concerning Moson county and some Unter Bildein family
MOSON MEGYE (COUNTY) , HUNGARY VILLAGES CEDED TO THE BURGENLAND (compiled by
Dale Knebel & Gerry Berghold)
Most of Burgenland (about 80%) was separated from Vas Megye (County),
Hungary. Some communities: however, were in Moson or Sopron Megye. Since LDS
microfilm, gazetteers and other records are listed by county (Megye), it is
necessary to know exactly in which Megye your particular village was located.
The following is a list of villages which were in Moson County as opposed to
Vas County. They were ceded to Austrian Burgenland in 1921 along with those
from Vas and Sopron. Most are in the north, in the SeeWinkel (near the
Neuseidler See). Hungarian names are shown followed by present day German
names. Spellings may differ slightly. Diacritical marks have not been used.
At the very end of the list are villages which are still in Hungary, near the
Austrian border. Because of close proximity you may also encounter them when
researching Burgenland records. You can also find most of these village names
in Albert Schuch's four part village series (June 11 special mailing). (IT
CAN BE FOUND AS A ADDENDUM TO THIS BOOK)
Also Illmitz -Illmitz-unter
Felso Illmitz -Illmitz-ober
Horvath Jarfalu -Jarndorf (Kroatisch)
Kortvelyes -Pama (do not confuse with Okortvelyes-
Nemet Jarfalu -Deutsch Jahrndorf
Nezsider -Neusiedl am See
Pathfalu -Podersdorf am See
Szent Andras -St. Andra
Szent Janos -St. Johann
Szent Miklos -St. Miklos (also one near Gussing
Ujfalu -Neudorf bei Parndorf
Vedeny -Weiden am See
Moson Villages Which Are In Hungary Today, (near the Burgenland border):
Albertkazmerpuszta-east of Halbturn
Arak -east of Mosonmagyarovar
Bezenye -east of Nickelsdorf
Halaszi -east of Arak
Hegyeshalom-north of Mosonmagyarovar
Horvath Kimle-south west of Mosonmagyarovar
Lebeny -south of Mosonmagyarovar
Level -north of Mosonmagyarovar
Puszta Somorja -east of Andau
Rajka -north of Mosonmagyarovar
TRANSLATION OF A GERMAN ARTICLE SENT TO OZ (OBERWART ZEITUNG)
OZ Article of 1923 "Revived" (by Albert Schuch)
"On 18 Feb 1923 the OZ reported an incident in America which had cost the
lives of several Burgenland/Western Hungarian immigrants: An explosion had
torn to pieces the coal house of the cement mill in Nazareth (in the valley
of the river Lehigh in PA) and five workers were thrown in all directions.
Among the three men were killed on the spot was John Frankel, 38, from
Gerersdorf, whose wife had died 4 years earlier during an influenza-epidemic.
Remaining were 3 orphan children, of whom the oldest was 11.
On Jan 25 1997 the homepage of the "Burgenland Bunch" (in the Heanzen-dialect
"Burnglaund Schippl") could be viewed under the address
for the first time. This is a group of Americans (with Burgenland ancestors)
interested in genealogy and history, founded in Summer 1996 by Gerry Berghold
(Winchester, VA). Like so many others his grandparents emigrated from the
Lafnitz valley to America around the turn of the century. The ancestors of
the now 32 members originate from all parts of Burgenland and neighbouring
Western Hungary. So homepage-administrator Hap Anderson (Minneapolis, MN) has
ancestors in the area around Pilgersdorf and Kogl, and Mike Spahitz (Staten
Island, NY), who contributed some of the graphics, in Unterbildein and
Some members have already visited the home of their ancestors - and
contributed interesting travel reports for the "Burgenland Bunch News"
transmitted via e-mail by Gerry Berghold. Many B.B.-members are also part of
the "Burgenlndische Gemeinschaft". It remains to be said that messages and
new members from Burgenland are most welcome. But let us now return to our
OZ-article of 1923: the author of these lines has sent it - as an example of
how intensly the OZ covered American affairs - to Gerry Berghold, who passed
it on to the B.B.-members. Joseph Tanzos (Nazareth, PA) showed it to his
neighbour, who identified the explosion victim John Frankel as his uncle. Two
of the orphans, Tony and Mary, have died around 20 years ago, but Louie is
still alive and has by now received a copy ot this article."
MORE ON LUTHERAN FAMILY MIGRATION (courtesy of Albert Schuch)
Those following my efforts to find a link to early (pre 1690) migrations of
Lutherans to the south of Burgenland will be interested in the following.
Radkersburg is in Styria on the border between Slovenia and Austria. It is
about 35 kms south of Jennersdorf.
If you have Lutheran ancestors who settled in the Lutheran villages of the
Districts of Jennersdorf or Gu"ssing (Kukmirn, Zahling, Ko"nigsdorf,
Heiligenkreuz, Eltendorf, Rudersdorf, Poppendorf, Minihof-Liebau) or in the
Hungarian villages nearby, it's possible they migrated north from the
Yugoslav border (for the same reasons the Bergholds did) or east from
>From "Otto Grieb: Radkersburg. Ein Heimatbuch. Radkersburg 1953": page
24-25: On 17th Dec. 1599 the "faith commission" headed by Bishop Martin
BRENNER entered Radkersburg. 500 soldiers (infantry) gave him the power to
remove the city council, to sack the teacher and other officials. On 28th
Dec. all citizens had to attend a Catholic service. Then all citizens were
questioned by the commission: Those who wanted to stick to their Lutheran
religion had to leave the country (Radkersburg was in Austria at this time;
the previously mentioned villages were in Hungary which was still allowed
Protestants). They had to sell their property and give one tenth of the money
to the authorities. Some people had fled the city in fear of the advancing
faith commission - their property was confiscated. On 4th Jan.1600, all
Lutheran books and writings were burned. The city council and the citizens
had to swear an oath in front of the commission. Afterwards the commission
left the city for its next destination - leaving 150 soldiers behind (who had
to be paid by the citizens). In May 1600, a new faith commission came to
Radkersburg. A few more rich citzizens and 40 craftsmen had to leave the
town. On 2nd Jun. 1600, the Lutheran church and school building were
destroyed (blown up). page 70: from 1930-1948 Konrad BERGHOLD (a house owner)
was "Stadtamtsvorstand" in Radkersburg.
From: "Emanuel Otto: Reformation und Gegenreformation in der Ost-Steiermark.
In: Zeitschrift des historischen Vereins fr Steiermark. Jahrgang 11" ; On
14th Apr 1628 Georg BERGGOLD (not BERGHOLD!), "Pfleger" (= kind of a manager
of the estates) of the nobleman Ehrenreich von Trautmannsdorf the elder, was
accused of being a Lutheran. This article also says that Lutherans from
Frstenfeld moved to Kaltenbrunn, Rudersdorf, Dobersdorf, Eltendorf and other
(unnamed) Hungarian villages.
PICTURE OF GU"SSING CASTLE
Some tine ago I mentioned that Austria had a homepage called "BNET". If you
go to >
http://www.bnet.co.at/ < you'll come to the main page. The upper right hand
icon are the arms of Burgenland. Double click on them or on the link
Burgenland. Then click on "Schau Burg". A picture of the castle will appear.
You may wish to click on some of the other interesting pages.
SOME EARLY UNTER BILDEIN FAMILY NAMES (Copy of email from A. Schuch)
Names mentioned in the 1697 Visitation of Unterbildein (these are neighbours
of church owned land): MITTL, SCHRAMMEL, STANGL, WINDISCH, HUTTER, RABOLD.
Names mentioned in the Unterbildein church records 1692-1707: ROSNER, UNGER,
FISCHER, KAGER, LAKOWITSCH, POMPER, LUKA, KOLLER, HAFNER, REITER,
MILISCHITSCH, SEYER, EBERHARD, KRAXNER, WUSCHER, STEIRER, KNOPF. Names of the
49 farmers of Unterbildein in 1804: 10 SCHRAMMEL, 8 STANGL, 5 MITTL, 2
EBERHARD, KAGER, HAFNER, MILISCHITSCH, POMPER, 1 MOSER, REITER, WUSCHER,
UNGER, LUKA, SEIER, KRAXNER, FISCHER, STEIRER, PRAGER, LAKOWITSCH, KNOPF,
WINDISCH, ROSNER, KOLLER, SCHMALZL. The Urbar of 1576 of Grossmrbisch
includes the name KLWCHYARYTH. (W=U)."
END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, For information
concerning the Burgenland Bunch, contact .