BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 26 dtd 31 Dec 1997 (edited)
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 12:43:40 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 26
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
December 31, 1997
(all rights reserved)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
This edition of the newsletter contains articles on Tschanigraben (the Father
Leser Series), Burgenland Featured on TV, Folk Customs and Tales, Burgenland
Dwellings, Urbersdorf Research, Neustift Records, Home of a Burgenland
Schoolteacher and other interesting items from members.

BURGENLAND VILLAGE DATA FROM THE PATER GRATIAN ANTON LESER, O. F. M.
(1873-1949) EXCERPTS (continued from letters nos. 21-25; by Albert Schuch)

12) TSCHANIGRABEN (inhabitants: 1812 - 151; 1929 - 189). Was a part of
Inzenhof until ca. 1800. Spelling of the village name in the church records:
1736 Schonagraben, 1765 Chanigram, 1789-1802 Sandorhegy gewo"hnlich (usually
(called)) Sconagraben, then Tsonagraben, Csanagraben and Tsanagraben. Very
rarely mentioned pre-1789, therefore early surnames can be located only from
that time forward:
Surnames of Tschanigraben 1789-1802: NEUBAUER, ARTINGER, STUIBER, KROBATH,
SVETALICS, KO"PPEL (KEPPEL), PAMER, BRUNER, JOST, MULZET, NIKLES, MEHLMAUER,
FALUSI, TAKERER, KONRATH (KONRAD), ZIMITZ. The FALUSI are known to have lived
in Gu"ssing throughout the 17th century. The dead, like those of Inzenhof,
were originally buried near the St. Emerich church, and children went to
school in St. Emerich (Szent Imre). Since 1893 Tschanigraben has its own
cemetery. At that time, the school had already been established in house nr.
6. First teacher was Godefried LOTH, who died 28 Apr 1858 aged 65. Further
teachers: 1858-62 Michael NEUBAUER (teacher of Tsch. and Inzenhof), around
1864 Michael GLU"CKSHOFER (only in Inzenhof). His successors were Ida
KERSCHBAUM, Franz JOST (after 1870), Johann SCHREDNER (in the 1880ies),
MAYER, Andreas LOIKITS (until 1895). From 1895 onwards the children went to
school in Inzenhof.
(source: V+H Nr. 3/1957).

BURGENLAND ON TV & MORE ON THE HAPSBURG MARRIAGE
Very good friend (Dr. Conrad Christianson) writes: Home at last after a long
tour of Germany/Austria/Italy/Switzerland. Among the high points was a
couple of days in Dresden. We stayed near Innsbruck, (Schwaz). Our hostess
mentioned she had just recently viewed on Austrian TV a program about
American Burgenlaenders and commented on what a fine one it was. An American
Burgenlaender from Chicago was interviewed to the effect that he preferred
the USA but loved a couple of months 'home' every now and then.

Noted the comments (BB News) relative to the Habsburg/Oldenburg nuptials in
Budapest. My trusty Burke's Peerage leads me to believe the following:
Eilika Helene Jutta Clementine is the granddaughter of the Hereditary Grand
Duke of Oldenburg, Nikkolaus (Duke from `1931-1970) and his wife Helene,
Princess of Waldeck and Pyrmont. Her father is the sixth son of Duke
Nikolaus and her mother is Ilka, daughter of Count Alfred-Friedrich Franz
Otto Hugo Amelung of Ortenburgh. The House of Oldenburg is really the overall
name for the reigning families of Norway, Denmark, Greece, and in the next
generation, England, by way of Phillip Mountbatten who is really of the House
of Oldenburg, the family Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Gluecksburg.
Oldeburgers are mainly Lutheran, Habsburgs Catholic. But in those rarefied
circles ecumenism is of long practice. Other members of the Oldenburg family
include Tsars of Russia, Kings of Sweden, Grand Dukes of Oldenburg, Dukes of
Holstein. The family traces its origins to a Egilmar I, Count of Aldenburg
(notice the vowel shift) who is recorded as living in 1108. It is a fairly
respectable family.

BURGENLAND FOLK CUSTOM, SONG & TALE
(suggested by "The Book of Austria", E. Marboe, Austrian State Printing
Office, 1948)

Many events and facts are kept alive via oral repetition and song (including
some of those lengthy aristocratic genealogies). This becomes part of custom,
tradition and folklore. Below are a few from the Burgenland. Perhaps you have
some to share.

Burgenland Customs-If the new baby is a girl, violets are put in the oven so
the child may never get freckles. The first actions of a new born are very
important. If a male and he stretches his hand toward money, he will become a
thief, if he tries to grasp a whip, he will make a good farmer. Bread, meat
and eggs, carried in a basket and blessed at the church at Easter will bring
good fortune. Sauerkraut and pork, left by the door and eaten on New Year's
day will bring good luck. (The latter may have been borrowed by my people
from PA-German neighbors).

Croatian Village Song-"When Croatian girls are singing, To the tamburizza'a
sound, You hear ancient lays a-ringing, Every eye casts smiles around. For
they're singing of Junaken, Their love's rapture and distress. Of the king's
descendant, Marko*, And his wife, the proud princess."

* ed. note: Marko the Prince (Marko Kraljevich), son of Serbian, King
Vukashin, who became a vassal of the Turks. A popular and controversial
Serbian epic hero, he died at the Battle of Rovine in Romania in 1395. Among
others, Petar Hektorovich (Croatian literary nobleman from the Island of
Hvar) wrote an early epic poem in 1555.That it became part of Burgenland
culture is indicative of racial mixing of customs and traditions, similar to
Germans and Croatians adopting Magyar "Gulyas" as a favorite.

Seewinkle Tale-Legend of the "Wasserstoffel"
A fish like human creature lived in the Neusiedler See and was often seen by
fishermen. He was fond of a beautiful young peasant girl who lived near by.
When he heard she was to be married, he collected a large sack of frogs,
snails and water snakes. He brought them to the wedding and dumped them on
the banquet table, since this seemed to him to be a fine gift. The wedding
gift was not well received and caused much shouting, confusion and disorder.
The poor Wasserstoffel fled howling in despair and was never again seen by
humans (but he can still be heard sometimes, splashing in the tall reeds on
the edge of the lake, as he hunts for his dinner).

A definitive book of Hungarian folktales, including some from the western
border is "Folktales of Hungary", Linda De'gh, trans. by J. Hala'sz, Univ.of
Chicago Press, 1965.

QUESTION CONCERNING DWELLINGS
"I also note that in most cases, brides and grooms resided in the groom's
parents household. Does anyone know if each house number is really for a
particular building or does it represent something else? At times, it seems
to me that the house must have been truly filled to the walls with
residents." (from Margaret Kaiser)

Margaret, this question has been posed by others as well, so you have the
benefit of getting an answer which I'll later use for an article in the
newsletter. The data stems from various books and microfilms I've seen as
well my memory and pictures of 23 family villages we've visited.

The houses were filled to the walls. A roof and a place for a bed was all
that was necessary for sleeping, but infant mortality was appalling. There
were large families, but many children did not reach adulthood. Also
primogeniture forced younger children to go elsewhere early (about age 12-14
for apprenticeship or servant jobs). The average house (dwelling) consisted
of 3 rooms (Maria-Theresianische Kolonistenhaus)-sometimes four (Josefinische
Kolonistenhaus), (1) a bedroom(father-mother-baby-younger children)-one main
bed, crib, truckle (trundle) bed(s), chests, table, chair, wardrobe, lamp;
(2) a kitchen- was often main room (warmest), (grandparents slept
here-truckle bed(s) plus more young children or just the girls), wall
benches, table, wood stove, dry sink, chairs, chests, cabinets; (3) a pantry
or workroom (don't know if anyone slept there, but why not?) and (4) on
occasion, another chamber. In German, "Stube", "Ku"che", "Kammer". Of course
there were variations on these themes. There were other buildings often
attached to the main house-a barn (even in the village), for hay &
animals-which could contain a bedroom for adolescent boys. (My grandfather
Sorger spoke of sleeping in a room in their barn in Rosenberg with his
brothers and two uncles). Covered front porch often ran the length of the
main house (sleeping place for boys in summer) connecting kitchen entrance
with barn. Peppers and onions would be strung and braided and hung up to dry
there. There were outer sheds (wagon shed, work shop, outhouse,
etc.)-possible sleeping places for servants, if any. Often a wine and root
cellar-probably too cold for sleeping. Even in the middle of a village, the
houses were often more of a "farmstead" than just a house as we know it.
House numbers (introduced in the 1840's) were assigned to individual
farmsteads (house plus barn plus outbuildings, there may also be a wall and a
large carriage gate. Buildings often enclosed a small court yard, (many paved
today, but dirt years ago), the wagon was brought in at night and the gate
locked. Wood would be bundled and stacked against an inner wall near the
kitchen or under a roof overhang. The house number will often be found
affixed to the upper right of the wall near the gate or on the upper right
hand of the wall of the most prominent building facing the street). It is
often white on blue or green. Many numbers remain the same today (150 years
later) in the smaller places. Larger villages have changed numbers somewhat.
When looking for a particular older house number, try the center of the
village (near the old village well or pre WWII water source-water is now
piped). During the time of governmental solicitation of settlers (reign of
Maria Theresa and Josef II), the government drew up house and village plans
to be used for new construction. These plans show basically what I've just
described. The LDS has a microfiche of them (LDS 6001514, German Settlement
in Transdanubia, "Die Siedlungen des 18. Jahrhunderts im mittleren Donautal-
Siedlungsgeschichtlichte Grundlagen", Prof. T. Miller, Weimar, 1947).

There are a number of period "museum" homes open to tourists in the
Burgenland for a small fee. One that is especially nice is in Mrbisch on the
Neuseidler See. Many of these former "peasant" dwellings are being
modernized, some into weekend or vacation homes. I was told they can be
bought for around $30M if derelict and modernized for about $100M! The main
beams in one home I visited in Poppendorf were blackened and 14 inches
square. Wood of this size is scarce today, indicating great age although most
villages in that region were burned in 1605.

Some dwelling statistics: (from History of Vas County, 1898; Magyarorszag
Varmegye'i e's Va'rosai Vasvarmegye, Sziklay e's Borovszky -LDS1045430)

Poppendorf-108 dwellings; 805 German inhabitants (average 7.5/dwelling);
Muhlgraben-91; 632 German inhabitants (7); Ko"nigsdorf-204; 1373 German
inhabitants (6.7); Eltendorf-136; 934; German inhabitants (6.9); Szt.
Miklos-45; 310 Germans (6.9).

NEW MEMBER RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
Some of our new members have had considerable genealogical experience which I
like to share. The following (edited slightly for content) is from Bob Schatz
and concerns his ancestors in Urbersdorf . It's almost a primer on how to
proceed with Burgenland genealogy (although Bob says he would have used the
LDS records sooner had he known about them):

"In college at the University of Scranton I majored in history and philosophy
(and studied German and Latin as well - did I know I would be needing these
in the future?), and managed to hire a very good genealogist in Vienna, Herr
Kohler (a member of Gesellschaft Adler but now deceased) who didn't charge me
very much because I was a student. He did actual research at the Kloster in
Gu"ssing and provided me with birth, marriage and death certificates of
everyone he found on my "Ahnentafel". His research took the Schatz line back
to Michael Schatz and Margaretha Rosner of Urbersdorf in the late 1700s, but
he became very ill and was never able to resume his work for me in Gu"ssing.
After college I moved to Boston and attempted to round out the research by
writing the Pfarramt (parish office) in Gu"ssing requesting certificates
based on conjectured dates. The Pfarramt (parish office) was helpful when it
could be, but of course was not able to conduct out and out research. I also
joined the Burgenla"ndische Gemeinschaft at that time, through which I
eventually discovered my distant relatives in Graz. In 1984 I travelled to
Austria and stayed for a month visiting with the family in Graz and their
relatives in Strem. My "uncle" Andreas Schatz had been the agricultural
minister for the province of Styria and was very generous to me while I was
there. His nephew took me to Burgenland and we travelled around the vicinity
of Gu"ssing. It was sad to discover that there were no more Schatz families
in Urbersdorf; The Schatzes of Strem and Glasing were branches that had moved
to those villages from Urbersdorf at various times in the 19th century.

I moved to NYC about 11 years ago and somehow discovered the LDS films from
the Hungarian National Archives around 1990. I became obsessed! For about a
year I think I was at the LDS Center almost 3 or 4 nights a week! (This
caused a great setback in my career and social life!) But I was able to fill
out my Ahnentafel and that was very rewarding. Being in Manhattan I also had
access to the Central Research Library on 42nd Street and read as many of
their monographs on Burgenland as I could. It is a shame to be stuck with the
research. I think this is why I stopped back in '91. The records of Parish
Gu"ssing go back to the 1660s, but I believe the Pfarramt once informed me
that the earlier volumes are now all in the Diocesan Archive in Eisenstadt.
I have often thought of hiring a genealogist there, and I think that I will
probably do that eventually.

The "dicalis conscriptio" (census) and urbariums helped me get a sense of the
material life of my forefathers, and from a note appended to the 1828
conscriptio I learned that my ancestor Michael Schatz was an assistant
bailiff (eskutek: "juror") of Urbersdorf in 1828. If not already aware of
this, BB members should note that ancestors may have served as bailiffs
(Biro) or assistant bailiffs, and that this information was noted on the
dicalis conscriptio.

Andreas Schatz provided me with a copy of his certified Ahnentafel and that
added more information to my records. Because Andreas was a government
official at the time of the Anschluss, he was required by German law to prove
his Aryan ancestry, and the pastor of Gu"ssing researched this for him in the
1930s. As historically unappetizing as these documents might be (because
they were prepared for the Nazi regime), they do provide many generations of
ancestry. If any of the Bunch's ancestors or relatives held even minor
positions in their villages at that time, they would have been required to
prove their ancestry, and these Ahnentafeln might still be in the possession
of those families. I have been provided with another by another relative
whose grandfather was the mayor of Glasing in the '30s. (end of email
extract).

BOOK COCERNING LOCKENHAUS (from Tom Glatz)
Geschichte Von Lockenhaus (History of Lockenhaus), by P. Dr. Aegid Schermann,
Benediktiner Von Panonhalma (Martinsberg) Ordentl. Mitglied Der St.
Stephans-Akademie, Panonhalma 1936 (Printed in Budapest).
I'll be happy to eventually start translating this for the newsletter.
Perhaps when the weather gets cold. I could translate a portion at a time and
send it to you. I had completely forgotten about it. My relatives gave it to
me. I will try to get one of the immigrants to help me. Translating is not my
best attribute! I have yet to find any of the family names in the book. I
think most of my Lockenhaus & Hammerteich people came after 1700. I'll never
know until I exhaust the records.

EXTRACT OF EMAIL CONCERNING NEUSTIFT RECORDS (Bob Schatz to Joe Gilly)
(ed. note: portions of the urbarial records for Neustift were received from
Albert Schuch and printed in newsletter number 25, NOTE-some are available on
LDS film):

<<You asked whether I knew if urbarial tables exist for Neustift bei
Gu"ssing. I believe Neustift belonged to the Batthyany, and was not a royal
free town, and therefore urbarial tables should exist. The 1767 urbarial
survey was conducted throughout the Habsburg lands (initiated by Imperial
Patent of Maria Theresa dated 23 January 1767) as a result of the "Farmers'
Unrest" of 1765-66. The table for Urbersdorf is found on LDS film #152978:
Records of the Vice-Regal Council, Urbarial Tables for Vas County, Letters
L-O" (Helytartotanacs Levtara, Urberi Tabellak, Vas Megye/Tabellae Urbariales
Comitatus Castriferrei). The villages are all recorded under their Magyar
names, so I suspect that Neustift might be on the next LDS film, because it
would have been listed as Ujtelep. (That is the Magyar variant, right?) The
format for the Urbersdorf table was printed in German and is therefore
legible; the individual names and notations are in the script. I suspect
that German-speaking agents were responsible for the tables, since the
surnames I found were all in their standard German spellings.

The last time I did research in the LDS records was in 1991, and my notes
from that time indicate that urbarial tables from 1720 had also been filmed.
I have not yet looked into those, however. The urbarial tables list only
the heads of households, so if your direct Gilly/Gilli/Gu"lli ancestor isn't
found listed, it doesn't mean he didn't exist in Neustift. It simply means
that he was an unlisted member of the extended family (a household could
include uncles, aunts, cousins, as well as the immediate family of the head).
Let me know if I can help again, and if you come across any listings with a
Schatz, Stranzl, Fu"rst, Keppl or Feigl in your 18th century research, I'd
sure appreciate a holler! >>(end of extract)

PHOTOS MAY HIDE A CLUE
In newsletter no. 24, Giles Gurken asked a question re some printing on the
reverse of an old photo (he's trying to find where an ancestor relocated).
(grandmother) was found to contain name ... ----ette M. Ovarot. ...

> Ed. reply: I think you have a name of a person, probably the photographer
or a town. I find no current Hungarian town by that name but it is listed as
the old Hungarian name (Pinka) Ovar for "Burg" (also Purg) which is located
just east of Gross Petersdorf ...... >A. Schuch's reply: I don't think Burg
is the place. "M. Ovar" will rather be "Magyar Ovar" (Ungarisch Altenburg),
today including the former "Moson" (Wieselburg) and called "Mosonmagyarovar".
This town is located just a few miles east of Halbturn. "----ette" may be the
name of a photographer in Magyar Ovar.

HOME OF A BURGENLAND SCHOOL TEACHER
Your editor's g-g-grandfather (grandfather of immigrant Hedwig Mu"hl Sorger
from Gu"ssing) was one Mihaly Mu"hl, born 1797, died Rosenberg 1873. He had a
large family (9), taught in many villages around Gu"ssing, before settling in
Urbersdorf where he taught from about 1837-1860's. Albert Schuch recently
found the following interesting information concerning him:

"Have also looked into the book "Die Volksschulen im burgenlndisch
-westungarischen Raum 1849-1860" by Hans Paul (= Burgenlndische Forschungen
74). As you already know, a new school house was built in Urbersdorf in 1856.
The BF 74 tells about a letter written by the Urbersdorf teacher Michael
Mller (Mihaly Mhl) on 20 May 1854, sent to the "Stuhlrichteramt" in
Gssing, in which he complains about the conditions he has to live and teach
in. He writes:
"1) the classroom is about 6,85 meters long and 3,78 meters wide, which is
too small for 50-60 pupils. 2) the living room is about 4,88 meters long and
4,06 meters wide, which is also too small. 3) the kitchen is inflammable; the
(wooden) floor already has several holes; the chimney is made out of wood. 4)
the larder is too small, the ceiling is partly broken, so one cannot go in
with open light (probably there was the danger that a torch might inflame the
"Schab" (straw) roof) 5) the "so called" barn is about to break down; it is
so bad, that the animals almost froze to death 6) the whole building is made
out of wood, and in very bad condition; several repairs and mendings have
already been necessary to avoid a collapse." He may have overdone it a bit,
but one still can see that he didn't live in luxury.

We know a little more about this third (Urbersdorf) "Ludimagister" Michael
(Mihaly) MLL (Mhl): He wrote a "Rechenbuch" (mathematics book) in Neustift
on 9 July 1824; from 1824-1829 three of his children were born there; in 1832
he was teacher in Inzenhof, then in Urbersdorf, where from 1837-1843 four
(more) of his children were born. In 1854 when he wrote his letter he was
teaching 25 boys and 17 girls in apparently one room with holes in roof and
floor!

OBITUARY- GOLS PASTOR (from Gary Portsch)
Pfarrer Gunther Nussgruber, minister of the Evangelical Church in Gols died
of a heart attack in Jordan on October 5th. He was a good friend and had
spent a great deal of time with my family on our trips to Gols. A memory
fund was established in his name at the Bank of Austria in Gols.

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, For information
concerning the Burgenland Bunch, contact .

This thread: