BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 26A dtd 31 Dec 1997 (edited)
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 12:44:04 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 26A
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
December 31, 1997
(all rights reserved)
Glckliches Neujahr!
Glckliches Neujahr!

This is another Holiday Special issue. We hope it improves any possible New
Year's Day condition, which might stem from an over indulgent New Year's Eve!
Some good things are in the offing for the Burgenland Bunch in the new year
so be sure to stay with us. Also make a resolution to write and send us your
articles and/or ancestors' "Auswandererschicksal" (Immigrant Story) in 1998.
Our Austrian members who may not have an immigrant story may consider telling
us what they know of their family's Burgenland history. We would read that
with considerable interest!

I am both amazed and gratified at how our membership has grown during this
first year of publication. I always knew there were a lot of "Burgenla"nders"
out there, but I had no idea so many would be researching family. If we have
another ten fold increase in membership some changes will have to be made,
but we'll see what the future brings.

This special edition of the newsletter contains articles on Robert Unger's
Genealogical Experiences, Village of Pamhagen (number 1 of the northern
Village Series), Questions on Data Sources & Taxes, and Items from Burgenland
Editor Albert Schuch,

A PERSONAL APPROACH TO BURGENLAND GENEALOGY (by Robert F. Unger)
I recently wrote Gerry Berghold to share my joy in actually finding living
Unger blood relatives in Burgenland. The discovery was the culmination of
more than 10 years of genealogical research. Gerry's response was: "Can I
use this email as an article "as is" - probably calling it "A Personal
Approach to Burgenland Genealogy?"

When I sent the email message to Gerry, my text focused mainly on the results
achieved from my three-week trip to Austria in May-June 1997, including the
preparation and subsequent events, which covered only about 10% of my total
genealogical effort. However I reasoned that a reader of the article might
be interested in the sequence of events that lead to the discovery - the
culmination of ten years of research.

A number of steps led to finding my Unger relatives now living in Austria.
Had only one link been missing, possibly I still would be searching in vain.
This is truly an example of synergism at its finest; synergism being defined
here as: "The action of two or more efforts to achieve an effect of which
each is individually incapable." I am therefore sincerely grateful to each
of the individuals who helped me in my search. Success in genealogical
research truly depends on the generous response of many when asked for
information. The result of this research also proves how loving, caring, and
helpful are the people of Burgenland. A synopsis of the events that led to
my success follows.
I started my genealogical research knowing only that my paternal grandparents
spoke German. I therefore initially concluded that they came from Germany,
but I had no clue as to from what area, what town, or what village. I first
wrote to each of my living relatives, pleading for information. I was
fortunate in that a cousin had started gathering genealogical information
and shared her results with me. Essentially the information was regarding
relatives currently living in USA. Responses from other relatives
unfortunately revealed nothing about the Unger family origins in Europe. The
census records data listed both Austria and Germany for places of birth of
individuals. One relative suggested that my best hope for information would
be to locate descendants of my Grandfather's brother who had a son named Earl
Unger, but no one knew where he was.

In desperation I purchased a copy of "The Complete Registry of the Ungers in
America" from an organization that essentially scans telephone directories
and then publishes surname listings indexed by city and state. I searched
that complete telephone listing and fortunately found a few "Earl Ungers" and
called each. When I called Earl Unger of New Mexico, he told me that he was
the Earl Unger that I was seeking. Fortunately Earl's mother had left some
genealogical records, listing Rudersdorf as the village where my Grandfather,
Janos Unger, was born. Fortunately that record also mentioned other towns
and villages in the area of Rudersdorf. The mention of those places was
extremely fortunate, since later I found that Austria, at one time, had at
least six villages called Rudersdorf. The information that the "Rudersdorf"
of my ancestors was located near Furstenfeld, helped immensely in finding the
correct Rudersdorf.

I next joined the German Research Association of San Diego, an organization
whose charter gives as an association goal "to share and help others in
their genealogical research." There I met a very kind and helpful lady who
guided me through the vast amount of material available in the genealogical
library at the San Diego Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Knowing that my Unger ancestors were Lutherans prompted me to write to the
Lutheran Church of Austria, asking for help in locating records about the
Unger family from Rudersdorf. Ultimately in May 1993, I received in response
a letter from the Lutheran Pastor from Eltendorf, Austria. Her letter
included copies of the actual church birth and wedding records, dating back
to 1836 to 1872. Unfortunately those documents were in a foreign language, a
script - later found to be Hungarian - the official language of the area
during that period. Finding someone to translate
those documents from Hungarian to English was my next task. Fortunately here
in the San Diego area we have a large group of active ethnic groups, each
having a hospitality cottage in our Balboa Park. A visit to the Hungarian
House of Hospitality led me to a lady who is fluent in Hungarian. Her
translation of the church records revealed a great deal about my ancestors.
It is important to note that reading old Hungarian script can be a difficult
task.

Receiving the Unger family records for the time period 1836 -1872 prompted me
to seek records further back in time. The Pastor informed me that the church
had records into the 1770's, but to research them would require that I visit
the church and undertake the time consuming task of going through them. I
was very fortunate in that she added one other bit of info. She informed me
in November 93 that another person in the USA was also doing the same type
of research in the Burgenland area, Gerry Berghold of Winchester, Virginia
who very kindly shared much information with me - the same type of
information that he has made available on the Burgenland Bunch Web Site. From
1993 to 1997 Gerry and I communicated via telephone and mail. Then for
Christmas of 97 my sons gave me a period of paid-up, unlimited time, on the
Internet. Being on the Internet opened a whole new world of opportunity -
including the ability to communicate with Gerry on line. All of us in the
Burgenland Bunch owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude for organizing and
establishing the group!

The prior text provides the background leading up to the planning stage for
the trip to Burgenland in May-June 97. What follows is essentially the text
that I initially emailed to Gerry regarding the trip. After recovering from
major health problems, I was ready for my long awaited trip to Burgenland.
Gerry stressed the importance of planning and helped immeasurably by sharing
his experiences from his trips to Burgenland. At that juncture neither Gerry
nor I had any contacts in Rudersdorf. But by searching the Web, I found a
dentist in Rudersdorf and I contacted him. The dentist and I subsequently
exchanged email messages for several months,
planning my visit to Rudersdorf. Unfortunately the gentleman had made prior
travel plans and would not be in Rudersdorf during the time of my visit, but
he did provide me with a wealth of information and contacts.

Another part of my planning process was to obtain a copy of the Rudersdorf
telephone directory from AT&T here in the USA. (Now in 1997 the complete
Austrian telephone directory is on the Web <http://www.etb.at/>;.) From that
directory I found that there were six Ungers listed for Rudersdorf. I
subsequently wrote to each of the six Ungers, and ultimately received one
response. Unfortunately the English of the lady who responded was as bad as
is my German, so we struggled with our communications, using my
English/German software translator.

Upon arrival for our one week stay in the Rudersdorf, Austria area, we used
Gerry's suggestion and checked in at the Mirth's Gasthof in Eltendorf (the
"Kirchenwirt"). Shortly after our arrival we asked Matthias Mirth, the son of
the Gasthof owner, and the only person at the Gasthof who spoke English, to
try to arrange a visit for us with someone in the Rudersdorf Village office.
Matthias talked with his father, Rudy, who subsequently called and scheduled
a meeting with Franz Tauss, now the newly elected (October 97) Brgermeister
of Rudersdorf. (I learned of this from the Rudersdorf Newspaper, which is
now on the Web.) Herr Tauss was most cooperative and spoke quite good
English. While there, he gave us a Xerox copy of my Grandparents' death
records. He also gave us information about house #58 and #177 - the houses
identified as the (Unger family) places of residence in the church records.
He also told us the names of the current owner of house #58 and #177. The
current owner of house #58 happened to be the lady I found through the
telephone directory. Herr Tauss suggested that we contact the current owner
of house #177 for any additional info. At that time Herr Tauss could only
find the telephone number for that owner, who lived in Eisenstadt. We had no
idea at that time that we would have a problem locating #177. It appeared at
the time that Rudersdorf had one long main street, and therefore all we
needed to do was go along the street until we came to #177. Wrong.
Apparently during the time period when house #177 was built, the house
numbering system really meant it was the next house in sequence to be built
in Rudersdorf, without any consideration as to its location. So we had to
search for the location of old house #177. Many of the houses in Rudersdorf
currently display both the old and the new number, but we could not find old
house number 177.

We visited with the lady who currently owns house #58. She was most friendly
and gracious, giving us tours of Rudersdorf, while trying to find old house
#177. The Rudersdorf dentist had suggested that I contact the editor of the
newspaper in Rudersdorf for information about the history of Rudersdorf. In
preparation for the trip I wrote to the editor and alerted him of my pending
visit. A subsequent visit with the editor at his home proved to be very
enlightening. During that visit I remarked that my ancestors lived in house
number 58 and 177, but unfortunately we could not find house number 177. The
editor immediately searched his files and found a conversion chart which gave
both the old and new house numbers for Rudersdorf.

After our visit with the editor we immediately went to the location of the
old Rudersdorf #177. There we were fortunate to find the current owner and
his wife. Lucky for us the gentleman spoke some English, enough for us to
understood each other fairly well. After returning to the USA, and
reflecting on our recent trip, I thought of many questions that I had failed
to ask about old house #177 and my ancestors. Armed with only his name,
telephone number, and the fact that he resided in Eisenstadt, I wrote to him,
addressing the letter only by his name and the city, Eisenstadt, Austria, and
listed his telephone number, asking that the letter be forwarded.

Several months later I received a response from the owner of house #177. He
wrote in German, telling me that he had considerable difficulty finding
information about my relatives. He said that he remembered my ancestors. He
also took the time to research information for me. He told me that he was
born in 1915, so that makes him 82 years old. He said that his research for
information included inquiries with individuals in Rudersdorf, some now being
90 or older. Through those inquiries he found that my Grandfather's sister's
family's descendants still lived in Rudersdorf and gave me their names.

Shortly thereafter I received an email message from the editor of the
Rudersdorf newspaper, telling me a relative of mine lives only two houses
away from him. He subsequently sent me an email with an attachment - a
colored picture of my relative - a very good quality picture. To shorten
this long story, I ultimately received an email message from that relative's
grandson's wife. She was born in New Zealand, so English is her native
tongue. So now at last we can exchange email messages in English, and I can
share information with my newly found relatives in Rudersdorf. Wunderbar!
The above tells of my "Personal Approach To Burgenland". It taught me to be
very patient and to be extremely diligent. Again, I give my heartfelt thanks
to all who helped in this effort. For questions/comments, contact me at
<>.

NORTHERN VILLAGE SERIES-PAMHAGEN
(note, after providing data for 12 villages from southern Burgenland, Albert
Schuch decided to give northern Burgenland researchers a break and furnish
some northern village data. This fine extract dealing with Pamhagen is the
result. Note the possible Styrian or Swiss connection!)

(1) PAMHAGEN (source: Josef Loibersbeck: Am Waasen. In: Volk und Heimat
17-19/1966, 1/1967). Called "Pomog" in 1268, "Pammaggen" in 1653 (in the
Lutheran church records). The Urbarium of 1589 counts 65 houses (including
the vicarage) in "Pommagen". Surnames of 1589: 8 MUTH; 3 PFANN, SCHNEIDL,
LANG, KIEREIN; 2 KRIEGLER (KRNGLER), KLEINDL, PAUER, GABRIEL, GRAF, KRAMER,
OBRECHT, KAINZ, WALLOSCH (BALOS), RABA (RABOLT); 1 TITSCH, WEIDENHOFER,
JCKL, DRNFELDER, PLDL, FRST, AUGUSTIN, ANDOCK, PLANK, FLEISCHHACKER,
AUSSENSCHMIED, PLATTEIS, GREUSS, ANDRE, HDL, WETTL, KOWITSCH (KOVACZ),
ORGOTSCHI (ORGOCSI), FRASS (FRESZ), MCKHUSCH (MAKKOS), ANNOTSCH (ANYOS),
ERDESCH (ERDS), RUDITSCH.

>From 1596 legal documents are known concerning the inheritance of a
Margarethe BINDER, Thomas FRIES, Thomas ANOTSCH and Simon FLEISCHHACKER. In
the middle of the 16th century Pamhagen annexed the (area of the) former
village Micheldorf, which had been destroyed in 1529 by the Turks. The
Pamhagen inhabitants subsequently became Lutherans. Lutheran church records
for 1653-1660 have been used to (try to) prove Lutheran immigration from
Styria and the Bodensee area in 1606-1620. PATSCH, PHILIPP, MUHR, GRAISY,
GUTSCHI and DENK have been said to be Styrian names, WUNDERLE (WUNDERLICH,
WUNDERLE) has been said to be a Bodensee area name. The Urbarium for 1675
gives the following surnames: 6 ANDERT; 4 RAUHORT, MUT, LENTSCH; 3
KOHLNDORFER, WUNDERELE (WUNDERLE, WUNDERLICH), KOTZENMACHER, OBRECHT; 2
WEISS, SCHNEIDER, FLACKER, KRAMMER, SCHUSTER, SCHERER (SCHIER), IRMITZ,
FRONAUER, LANG, BAUMGARTNER, PERICH, HOLZBAUER; 1 HALBBAUER, WENIGER,
DNNAGL, NERMANZ (NEMAC ?), DACHS, GRAF, ROTH, KLENGER, GUTENDINGER,
BIERBAUER, FROMM, GRNBERGER, PFANN, PREINER, GELBMANN, RAHMKS, KHRAIN,
PLANK, REINHARDT, BUSCH, ECKER (EGGER), TURKER, MANNER, HEISS, MAURER, RIEPL,
WORTA (BERTA ?), WIEGER, KOPPA (KAPI), KAINZ, WEINER, SCHEDL, RIECHEL, GROSS,
DENK, GREISY, MNZENEDER, SPRENZL, FLEISCHHACKER, KLINGER, SCHAFFER, TATEN,
MUHR; additional Sllner surnames: FUCHS, WAGNER, WEIDINGER, PFAIDL,
SAGENMEISTER, KEGL, KAMITZ, HOFER.

Catholic church records started in 1681 by a priest named Gregor STANITZ,
stopped in 1683, restarted in 1686; seems that the Turks burned down village
and church during the 2nd siege of Vienna (1683). 1734 Wallern became an
independent parish, having belonged to Pamhagen until then. Teachers: Paul
STUPPACHER (1726-1728); Josef HALLER (1800-1808; married to a STUPPACHER);
the "praeceptores" (assisting teachers) Johann NEUKAM (1807) and Franz
WESSELY (1819); Michael GRAIL (1810-1825); Georg OPITZ (1825; praeceptor);
Johann NABINGER (1830-59); Franz KIRCHKNOPF (1860-1902); assisting teachers
Franz SCHNTAG and Stefan MATTASCHITZ; Johann KRAJASCHITZ (KEMENY)
(1902-1921) ...(end of extract).

QUESTIONS ON SOURCES & TAXES (from Bob Schatz )
Questions: << do you know how I might be able to obtain copies of the
original article from VOLK UND HEIMAT, nr. 17-20/1956? The earliest ancestor
of my paternal line, Johann Schatz, is listed as a resident of Urbersdorf in
1750, and I'd like to find the source of that information >>

Answer by Albert Schuch: I have copies of these. If you give me your address,
I can send them any time. Unfortunately, the text does not give the source.
But I presume that this will be an Urbar stored in the "Batthyanisches
Herrschaftsarchiv Gu"ssing" (located in Gu"ssing). For the text reads as
follows (excerpt):

"1750 war Reilimann Georg Richter, Unger Michael, Kedl Hans, Astl Michl und
Gro"ller Matthias Geschworene. Ausser diesen wohnten von den dort noch heute
ansa"ssigen Familien Stranzl Michl und Georg, Sakacsics Georg und Schatz
Hans. Nennenswert ist noch Magyori Georg, der als 'Rechnitzer kroatischer
Schulmeister' bezeichnet wird. Im genannten Jahre gab es in Urbersdorf 23
Herrschaftsha"user, 6 Pferde, 49 Ochsen, 31 Ku"he, 27 Ka"lber." (I use the "
to indicate the 'Umlaut', since I do not know if your system is capable of
showing it.)

Question:<< Do you know if the Neuntl (ninth of crops and bred cattle) was
paid instead of serving Robot, or were both owed to the Grundherr? The
sources I have read here are not clear, but one book by a Hungarian author
(Bela Kiralyi) stated that they were interchangeable. <<

Answer: As far as I know, the system was as follows: The "Zehent" (tenth) was
owed to the church, although payment was usually carried out via the feudal
lord. The "Neunt(l)" (ninth) was the ninth part of the rest, that is in fact
the second tenth of the whole amount. This was owed to the feudal lord. It is
not to be mixed up with the Robot. It is a separate debt. Alas, both the
Neuntl and the Robot could be replaced by the payment of money, in case both
parties did agree.

<<One other question: do you know what the monetary equivalent of a "dica"
was? I don't have that information anywhere in my notes from my reading back
in 1990-91. I know that in 1828 my forefather Michael Schatz owed 3 dica
(one for him, one for his wife, and one because there were at least four men
between 18 and 60 in his household), but I have no idea what that meant in
terms of actual florins/forints paid as tax. "Dica" was a kind of point used
for assessing tax to be paid to the royal government (as opposed to any fees
due to the landlord). Hence "dicalis conscriptio" - the Latin designation
for the Hungarian "censuses" found in the LDS microfilms.

A head of household was assessed one dica for himself, one for his wife, and
one for every four males between 18-60 in his household. If you have copies
of the LDS films for the 1828 "census", you will see the tally marks in the
first part of the tables. I'll have to check my notes, but I believe this
information comes from Bela Kiraly: A HISTORY OF HUNGARY.

NEW CROATIAN BOOK (from Yvonne Lockwood)
I just received a new book that should interest at least those with Croatian
ties to the Burgenland: Tomislav Jelic, Gradiscanski Hrvati u Austriji
(Burgenland Croats in Austria). Zagreb (Croatia): Multigraf, 1997. In
Croatian. The subtitle is An Analysis of Croatian settlements in the
Burgenland. Best wishes for a happy and healthy 1998!

HOLIDAY GREETINGS FROM: (Giles Gerken)
Have immensly enjoyed association with B. Bunch, met very nice people
including distant relative. (M. Winkler). Hope new year will bring more
members & information for everyone.
ED. Note: There have been so many nice comments and wishes like the above
from so many of you that I wish space would permit me to publish them all.
I've even had some graphic and musical greetings. I often wonder if everyone
is getting their newsletters and finding something of interest. This season's
email has put my mind at rest! Gerry

POSTCARDS & OTHER COMMENTS
(Ed. note: It appears that Albert Schuch does occasionally take some time off
from his university work as well as his genealogical and historical research.
When he does, he still keeps us in mind!):

Gerry, I did some shopping today in various Antiquariats and bought a couple
of used books. One is called: "Burgenland in alten Ansichtskarten (= picture
postcards)", was published in Eisenstadt 1981. Included is one card dated
1922 showing Heiligenkreuz. The upper half shows a view from the church to
the west, with the Gasthaus GIBISER in the background. The lower half shows
the "Gemischtwarenhandlung" (=grocer) BERGHOLD (today Nr. 233) and the house
and workshop of the "Tapezierer" (= decorator, upholsterer) GIBISER. Both
houses are said to be still in family property today (=1981).

A book review (in the monthly "Wiener Journal") says a psychologist and
historian named Josef Berghold has written a book called "Italien -Austria.
Von der Erbfeindschaft zur europischen ffnung." Published in 1997 (Werner
Eichbauer Verlag, Wien). No details on the author given, but I presume that
he will be an Austrian. (Does anyone know an easy way to find which Josef
Berghold this is? There are a number in Austria.) Also wanted to tell you
about the existence of a Styrian "Landesrat" (member of the provincial
government) named Erich Pltl. (there were Allentown immigrant families by
that name related to your editor).
If I don't get a chance to write again, Have a Happy New Year! (end of
email).
Home page editor Hap Anderson and I join Albert in this wish!

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, For information
concerning the Burgenland Bunch, contact .

This thread: