BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 27A dtd 15 Jan 1998 (edited)
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:00:46 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 27A
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
January 15, 1998
(all rights reserved)

This edition contains the Glatz Emigration from Loipersdorf, More on
Burgenland Music, More Little Known Historical Terms Encountered in
Genealogical Documents, Greetings from Charter Member Joe Gilly, an Omaha,
Nebraska Burgenland enclave and More on Maps & Wine.

AUSWANDERERSCHICKSAL (this "emigrant story" first appeared in the
Burgenlndische Gemeinschaft-BG- newsletter-furnished here by the author. It
is the second BG article of this type to appear in these newsletters {first
was the "Sorgers of Rosenberg"}. We hope all members will eventually furnish
similar articles, both to us and the BG. Taken together they provide a
marvelous and invaluable record of Burgenland emigration and receive world
wide attention. My Sorger story has already triggered a number of responses).

Loipersdorf and Hammerteich bei Lockenhaus (by Tom Glatz)
I always enjoy reading about the Burgenland emigration to America. The story
of my emigrant ancestors begins with my quest to find out about the places my
Burgenland grandparents came from and try to re-establish ties with lost
relatives. My grandparents were simple people but they contributed to the
great diversity of America. They always remained proud of their heritage and
were grateful to be American citizens. My grandfather John Glatz, was born in
Loipersdorf, June 14th, 1884. He was the youngest of three children. He had a
sister Maria, and a brother Samuel. Samuel went to Venezuela and was never
heard from again. My grandfather left in 1910, and sailed from Bremen on the
George Washington. He arrived at Ellis Island on February 10th of that year
with only twenty-five dollars. This was less than what was usually allowed to
enter America by the American immigration authorities. I had often heard how
poor the people were back home and how some people did anything they could to
come to America to better their lives. He first made his way to East St.
Louis, to work in the coal mines of southern Illinois. Working underground
was not for him. After a few hours he had enough! He then joined an earlier
immigrant in the family in Chicago, his cousin Teresa Glatz Strock. She was
to be his daughter's godmother, but we all called her Goudl and Rositant. I
guess she went by the name Rose because there were so many Teresas in the
family. My grandfather learned to be a blacksmith back home and was able to
support his family here doing so by working for the railroads as many
Burgenlaender did. He was hard working and family oriented. He championed the
working class and was a strong supporter of the labor unions. He suffered
like most people in America did during the depression by losing his life
savings as well as his job. Then he had to live through the humiliation that
many immigrants in America from German speaking areas of Europe did in the
1930s and 1940s because of Hitler and the second world war. Teresa was the
one to keep contact with the relatives in Loipersdorf. She did all of the
writing to the relatives. For years he had no desire to ever return home. But
in 1960, he decided he wanted to see his native land once more before his
death. Unfortunately he died that year after he had made his travel plans. In
his family his sister Maria was the only one in the family to stay in
Loipersdorf. My grandfather's cousin Teresa came from a large family, most of
which stayed in Loipersdorf. She married a man from Luxembourg, Nicholas
Strock. A brother Leopold came to Chicago around 1925. He married Mildred
from Lockenhaus. Teresa left Loipersdorf before her youngest brother Johann
was born. Luckily she always kept in touch with him. He was the first one in
Austria that I had made contact with. I'll never forget how excited I was
when I first received a letter from him. In 1977, I was able to locate many
of my Glatz relatives in Austria through Johann. It was never a bother for
him to ask the schoolmaster to translate letters from his newly found
relatives in America. Unfortunately my grandfathers nephew who was his
sister Marias son Johann had passed away before my first trip. But I was
able to meet his sister, my grandfathers niece also named Teresa who lived
in Breitenbrunn. I have been very fortunate that Marias grandchildren Josef
Glatz of Vienna, and Adolf Weber of Breitenbrunn and their families have
taken a lot of interest in me and my family in America. Thanks to the Glatz
and Weber families I have seen a lot of Austria and experienced many Austrian
home cooked meals! I can never thank them enough for their kindness and
hospitality! The Lutheran pastor in Markt Allhau was also very kind to spend
hours searching the names and dates of my ancestors back to the beginning of
the record keeping in 1787.

My grandmother Maria Schloegl was born into a Catholic family in Hammerteich
near Lockenhaus, December 18, 1890. She arrived with her friend Mrs. Binder
(we never did know her maiden name) at Ellis Island on the ship Rochambeau in
1912. I spoke with one of her best friends who was from Raiding, Teresa Bauer
Flasch, before she died. We called her Flasch Goudl since she was my fathers
godmother. She told me my grandmother worked as a cook in the Tivoli
Restaurant in Vienna for a time to save money for the trip to America. My
grandmother had intentions of only staying in America temporarily. She
desired to return to Austria to marry her friend Hans from Tirol. But she
stayed in Chicago and married my grandfather. My grandmother had a difficult
life in America and could only find work doing house-cleaning in the large
hotels and for Chicagos wealthy and famous who lived in mansions on the
citys lake front. She died December 25, 1934. In 1938, my grandfather
married another Burgenlaenderin. This time he married the widow Paulina Behof
Sinkovits from Oberpullendorf. We called her Grandma. She was the only
grandmother I ever knew. She treated my father as her own son and us as her
very own grandchildren. She lived until 1974 and gave me the greatest
impression about Burgenland. She told me a lot about her life. She told me
how she made a rendezvous with her brother to meet in France to come to
America. He left trying to avoid being conscripted into the Austro-Hungarian
army right before the first world war. I always thought she was so
intelligent to fluently speak German, Hungarian, and Croatian. During the war
years and after, the Grandma sent packages not only to her family in
Oberpullendorf, but also to my real grandmothers family in Hammerteich. My
relatives remembered this and seemed grateful. I was surprised to see the
family pictures that I brought with on my first trip were identical to the
pictures my relatives had. My father had made them and gave Grandma copies to
send to Lockenhaus in the 1940s and 1950s.

My father had frequently told me about his two cousins, the Janisch sisters:
Maria and Helene. They were born in his house in Chicago. His aunt Theresa
Schloegl came to Chicago after the first World War and married Louis Janisch
April 21, 1923, in Chicago. He was also from Lockenhaus. They lived for a
short time in Union Mills, near Laporte, Indiana, a mostly farming community
with some Burgenlaender. Louis died soon after Helene was born. Aunt Theresa
developed cancer and decided to take the children back to Lockenhaus. She
believed that there would be more people to take care of her children there
than in America. She then passed away and the children were raised by Janisch
relatives. He also told me about his uncle Ludwig Schloegl, who lost his arm
in the first world war. I had never forgotten any of this. Ties hadnt been
re-established with the Lockenhaus relatives until just before my trip in
1980. I think they were shocked that there was a relative on their mothers
side of the family that remembered them. I was lucky that the daughter of the
woman that came with my grandmother from Lockenhaus or really Hammerteich,
Dorothy Binder, was able to put me in touch with Mrs. Schuch (nee Wally).
Mrs. Schuch who was from Lockenhaus and related to Maria and Helene, knew my
grandmother. I remember my anxious but joyful first day in Lockenhaus. It
seemed like half of the town was there to greet me! The wonderful kindness
and hospitality of my relatives help quickly put me at ease. I have become
close with the families of Maria and Helene. Thanks to the Fuchs and Lackners
of Lockenhaus I have seen much of middle and southern Burgenland and parts of
Hungary. I have also tasted some of the best Burgenland cuisine in Maria and
Helenes kitchens. Lockenhaus is small, but one of my favorite places. The
restored castle is magnificent. The baroque church is beautifully renovated.
The hilly terrain of the Guenser Gebirge along with these monuments and
quaint old and new houses make Lockenhaus a truly nice place to visit. It is
one of Burgenlands and Austrias best kept secrets. I hope some day to
experience the famous Lockenhauser Kammermusikfest.

My grandparents first lived in the Burgenland part of the of the Back of the
Yards area in Chicago. Their children Mary was born here in 1914, and my
father John was born here in 1916. Later the family lived in Fuller Park and
in a few other smaller Burgenland, German or Hungarian settlements depending
upon which railroad my grandfather worked for at the time. There were many
labor struggles in the railroads during this period in America. Grandma
always shopped at Uidls butchers to make Wiener Schnitzel for our Sunday
dinner at her house. Later when Grandma was older and didnt bake so much, we
would go to Urbauers for Mohn and Nuss Strudl. My grandparents were married
in this neighborhood at the German Evangelical Church of Peace by the pastor
Ludwig Kohlman, February 21st, 1914. This was one of the many churches in the
area that were founded by the previous Germans and that the evangelisch
Burgenlaender felt comfortable attending. I was present at many weddings and
funerals at this church at various addresses. I often heard too about the
good times to be had at Ringbauers and Kollaritschs halls in Fuller Park!

Im fortunate that my father never let me forget about the towns his parents
came from. It is a different reality for some of us Burgenland descendants
who live outside of Burgenland and that are second, third or more generation.
The emigrants have lived the culture, traditions, and way of life that is
different from ours. Some of us of the later generations outside of
Burgenland are curious and want to know about their ancestors and their
culture. I didnt know much about my grandparents lives before they reached
America. But I was a very fortunate having them around me growing up. Now
fate seems to have given me the responsibility to keep the ties alive with
relatives in Austria. The fate of my emigrant ancestors has led me to learn
and treasure the culture of Burgenland!

MORE ON AUSTRIAN (BURGENLAND) MUSIC (also from Tom Glatz)
(ed. note: Both Tom and Albert Schuch have made me aware of these ethnic
pieces. We'll continue to seek a source, a price and ordering information, if
still available. What may be of genealogical value is that some may date
before the migrations to the Burgenland and thus may provide a clue as to
family origin.)

There are supposed to be cassettes from each Province in the series
"Tondokumente Zur Volksmusik in Oesterreich." As far as I know only
Burgenland (vol. 1), Niederoesterreich (vol. 2), and Steiermark (vol. 3) have
been issued. I have all 3. RST Records, Rudolf Staeger, A-1052 Wien was
selling them. Who knows what the price is now with the dollar fluctuation. I
actually sent much more than what was required because I couldn't get an
answer from them on how much to send to include postage. (They kept it all
too!) I first received a very fancy notice, almost like an invitation to
purchase the first 2. Then (friend) Bob Strauch told me that the 3rd one was
out. Soon afterwards I saw it minus the information booklet at Tower Records
in Chicago. Luckily Bob had an extra copy of the booklet. I keep checking to
see if they get the next one in (I don't know what province it will be). Bob
will probably tell me when it is available. RST records can probably help
anyone find music from Austria. The Tanzgeiger also has put out CD's & tapes.
They are good. Rudi Pietsch & wife Franciska are wonderful musicians. His
address is Institut Fuer Volksmusik Forschung, Ungargasse 14, A-1170, Wien. I
have several recordings by Robert Payer. He was one of those expelled from
the Hungarian side of the border after the war (town of Agendorf near
Oedenburg in the north). Many record companies have produced his recordings.
I bought some here and some out there. A lot of Burgenlaender here (Chicago)
have given me copies of recordings they have of Kapelle from different towns
in Burgenland. Bob Strauch recently sent me: Harald Dreo/Sepp Gmasz,
Volksmusik im Burgenland, Burgenlaendische Volksballaden. This is a notice of
a cd or cd's for sale from Boehlau Verlag, Ges. m.b.H. & Co. KG, Sachsenplatz
4-6, A-1201 Wien. There is a Viennese series of which Tower Records had some
of: It included Fritz Matauschek, "Blinde Resi" aus Ottakring Therese
Sprung-Hafenscher, Successors of the Schrammel Brothers, etc. I look for the
obscure and the reasonable at Tower Records, Germanfest in Milwaukee every
summer, and other places. I have a real find on the Naxos label of Schrammel
music: Music from Old Vienna, Wiener Schrammel Music by the Thalia
Schrammeln. I think it was only $4.00. I like Naxos for classical music. They
are so reasonable! Toni Stricker is the famous Viennese violinist (although I
think he or his parents were born in southern Burgenland). The record company
for this is OK-Musica, 1060 Wien. Besides Burgenlaender, we have a lot of
Austrians from other provinces in Chicago. It is a very influential
community. We have an Austrian trade commission and a consulate here. We have
a famous Viennese baker who spends a lot of his time organizing things. His
name is Gerhard Kaes. He is very influential in the Austrian-American Council
of the Midwest. His picture (but name was not mentioned) in the last Austrian
Information from Washington. He was extremely influential in promoting this
new Austrian Day in America. He has from time to time hosted groups from
Austria. I was fortunate to attend the Toni Stricker concert as well as a
Schubert mass which was a singing group from Austria. The summer before last
was a big one for us here. Since it was the millennium (of Austria), many
groups were here and I saw them all and bought CD's when possible. Two other
Austrian American council members have a small store called Austrian Station
in Chicago. I have been able to pick up a lot of CD's and tapes there. There
was a series 1000 Jahre Oesterreich Volksmusik, Blasmusik, and Werke grosser
Komponisten. The address on these is GESA Musikproduktion Wiesenstrasse 8,
A-3261, Steinakirchen. I like Robert Stolz Operetten a lot! When Tower
Records bought out Rose Records here, I found Venus In Seide and
Fruehjahrsparade. The producer of these is in Germany. Unfortunately there
was no address listed: BMG Music Group in Germany.

Here are two new sources for Austrian music that might interest you: Naxos of
America Inc. 8440 Remington Ave. Pennsauken, NJ 08110 609-751-4744 url
http://www.hnh.com
and for the Robert Stolz cd's: BMG Classics U S A, 1540 Broadway NY
10036-4098 fax 212-930-1640. Naxos has a nice cd & very inexpensive Schrammel
Quartet. Both of these places will probably send you their catalogs for free.
I got them from Tower Records in Chicago.

Albert Schuch Also Sends The Following:
I recently bought a fine folk music record: "Spielmusik Scho"nfeldinger-
Bernstein" from Lotus records / Salzburg <http://www.lotusrecords.at>; It
comes with a nice booklet (German / English) with a few photos (one taken in
Chicago ca. 1915, showing emigrants Rudolf and Josef Scho"nfeldinger).
Quoting from the booklet (text by Dr. Sepp Gmasz, translated by Lynne
Donaldson): The musician, bandmaster and composer of numerous pieces of folk
music Karl Scho"nfeldinger was born in Bernstein on 7th Aug 1897. His
ancestors came from Harkau near O"denburg in the 18th century to build new
lives as small holders, crafts people and as musicians.
Music-making in small circles and at village festivals was an unbroken family
tradition for many generations. Grandfather went on foot with his two sons
from Bernstein to Harkau and Agendorf for the major village festivities, like
"Kirtag" and "Fasching", where in a week they could earn enough with their
music to buy a cow. They achieved their greatest public recognition in the
region around Harkau, where good musicians were anything but rare due to the
proximity of O"denburg, the provincial capital. "The Hianzers blow the best!"
was the popular verdict regarding the family of musicians from the Hianzei,
as the central and southern areas of the Burgenland were then known.
Inevitably, young Karl began to learn the violin from his father. Of the nine
children in his generation three died of diphtheria, and two brothers and a
sister emigrated to America. The family's ensemble was comprised of clarinet,
violin, viola and double bass. At age fourteen, Karl received his first
flugelhorn - it was the usual practice at that time for gifted musicians to
learn to play a wind instrument as well as a stringed one. Apprenticeship to
a tailor, to whom the puny lad was sent by his father, was not much to his
taste, but at least the master tailor was also a passionate clarinetist. He
quickly recognized his apprentice's musical talent and took him along to the
local balls. By the age of 16 Karl was the front man for his family's band,
playing lead violin.... The recordings are from 1966 - 1979. Karl died in
1979, but the family band plays on. I had the opportunity to hear his son and
granddaughter (and a third man who I believe was a friend, not a family
member) play on the 10th Dec in a Gasthaus in Vienna. It was there that I
bought the CD.

MORE LITTLE KNOWN HISTORICAL TERMS
The Frank Teklits translation of a Croatian History (which we eagerly await)
continues to require an explanation of obscure and obsolete terms provided by
Albert Schuch:

Page 87 P7S2 Halterhaus
"Halter" is a slang term for "shepherd"; so the "Halterhaus" is "the
shepherd's house"; it was owned by the community / village and inhabited by
the current sheperd(s); in almost every village you still find a
"Gemeindehaus" today: this will be the former "Halterhaus" in most cases

Page 88 P2S2 Rittmeister= captain of cavalry (since this is a military
rank, you might leave it untranslated with translation added in parenthesis)

Page 88 P4S3 Bergbuchern and Bergregistern
What the "Urbar" is for the farming land, the "Bergbuch" and "Bergregister"
are for the vineyards. I don't know if there is a difference between
"Bergbuch" and "Bergregister". I think they both are conscriptions
(registrations) of vineyards (including size and owners) of a certain area.
Note that in slang the word "Berg" is often used as a synonym for "Weinberg"
which is "vineyard"!

Page 89 P6S3 Neustifter - ... a person from a town by that name? no, not
in this case; here Neustifter are (new) settlers

Page 89 P6S4 Bauernhaushaltungen- ... farmhouse owner? the term
"Haushaltung" always refers to a family (headed by the
"Haushaltungsvorstand", the head of the family; translate as "farmer
families"

Page 89 P7S2 Pfarrhof - rectory, vicarage (house owned by the parish, the
priest lives there)

Page 90 P1S6 Joch Aecker - "Joch" is an old square measure (1 Joch = ca.
5755 square meters), I don't think you should translate it as yoke (although
this is also a meaning of the word "Joch"); "Aecker" = fields, arable land

<< The term Lehen is in the dictionaries as fief, but it can also refer to a
parcel of land. How does one distinguish between these two widely varying
meanings other than in the context of the sentence including the term?
>>Sorry, the context is the only way I know: the term "Lehen" can refer to a
person's (legal) title to a property (which may be the whole county or just
one farm (sessio)), on the other hand it is (even more) often also used for
the property itself. As for the term "parcel of land" in your question (which
I translate as singular piece of land): the term "Lehen" usually does not
refer to a singular piece of land.

Page 90 P3S5 Edelhof - noble farmstead/noble farm/noble courtyard ? I do
think that this is something like a "Meierhof", a big farm. But unlike the
Meierhof, which was usually a part of the domain, the Edelhof seems to have
been sort of a small domain inside the domain. The feudal lord will have
given it to an important servant (officer) as a means of payment.

Page 90 P3S5 Holden-"Holden" are "So"llner", people who do not own farming
land; in this context, these "Holden" are kind of 'attached' to the
"Edelhof": they have to do their "Robot" on the land belonging to the Edelhof
etc. (the owner of the Edelhof is their feudal lord) (You can still find the
term "Holde" in surnames like "Berghold")

Page 90 P3S5 Pfarrholden-the "Pfarrholden" have their houses on land owned
by the church (parish); so the parish, that is in fact the priest, is their
feudal lord

Page 91 P2S2 What is meant by the phrase 1/4 and 1/16th fiefs? here we
have "Lehen" used as a synonym for farm (or more correctly: a certain fixed
amount of the farming land belonging to a village). The older a village gets,
the more divided fiefs. As stated earlier, the main reason for this was the
increase in population. (Theoretically, one could even say that the term
"Lehen" was also used as a kind of a square measure that was valid only in
one village!)

Page 91 P2S6 Wiesen = meadows, I also spot the word "Tagwerk" in this
context: Maybe you do not know this: this term was also used as a square
measure. This refers to the area a single worker can mow in one day.

> >The other reason for contacting you is to let you know of my concern as to
properly translate whenever I see the term Lehen. You advised me that it can
be interpreted as either a fief, or sessio, I am now concerned that I may not
be using those two meanings properly. Is there any general guideline that you
know of I can use? For example, since an Urbar is basically a listing of land
registrations, if a sentence in German says, according to an Urbar from any
given locality, would the word Lehen in that context be used exclusively to
mean a sessio, or fraction thereof?>>
Yes, this is the basic meaning in such a case. It refers to the property
(sessio) in the first place, but it also tells us about the legal title that
is involved.

>> If an Urbar contains both uses of the word, how would I distinguish a
reference to a fief from a sessio in that sentence? << All I know about that
word "fief" is that my dictionary gives it as the translation for "Lehen",
meaning I have no English explanation. (Perhaps you could provide one?) So I
am always assuming that the word "fief" also has the same two uses.

Page 94 P4S2 metzen -a "Metzen" is a measure of capacity

Page 94 P5S3 Schmeide-wrong spelling; Schmiede = a forge (where a
blacksmith works)

CHARTER MEMBER SENDS GREETINGS (from Joe Gilly)
It's been about a year since I made the comment that wouldn't it be great if
the BB could go worldwide. Well here we are thanks to you and all of your
hard work. I've learned a great deal from you and your wonderful newsletters,
as well as from the other members. All of you certainly have my thanks and
gratitude. Congratulations on a very productive genealogical year. I've had
some very interesting e-mail exchanges with some of the other BB members. One
of them was from Bob Schatz who told me about a GYILI (another spelling
variant) that he noticed on the Urbarial tables (1767) for Urbersdorf.
Another interesting exchange was with Fritz Konigshofer. Apparently, his
family in Graz had a friendship with a GILLY in Graz. He's going to quiz his
family for details. Especially interesting was his revelation that the
village of Wallendorf was founded by French speaking Belgian Wallons who
remained there after the battle of St. Gotthard-Mogersdorf in 1664. This
information has me more and more convinced that my elusive Irish ancestor
might have arrived at that time. I already have confirmation that there were
both Scot and Irish Imperial staff officers (remnants of Wallenstein's
"So"ldnerarmee") at Mogersdorf in 1664. The possibility is further
underscored by the GILI listed in the baptismal records between 1669 and 1699
as reported in your BB newsletter #25. The timing certainly fits and makes
this a strong possibility. I'll probably contact the Austrian Military
Archives again and ask if they have any lists of officers serving in this
battle. I struck out with them the first time, but maybe my questions weren't
specific enough.

MORE MAPS (from Bob Loerzel)
Several times, the newsletter has mentioned maps. I didn't see any references
to the Austria-Hungary topographic maps from 1881 and 1882, which are
available on microfiche at the Newberry Library in Chicago. Are you aware of
these? They are quite detailed, showing even the small mini-villages,
streets, and even tiny black rectangles to represent each house. And they
include both the German and Hungarian names for many places. In case you've
never seen these maps, I've attached a sample of the Grosspetersdorf area
that I scanned from a photocopy of the microfiche. I also picked up an
excellent map in a Vienna bookstore a few years ago. It's published by Haupka
& Co. The map I have is called "Auto-Wander-und Freizeitkarte: Steiermark,
Graz, Su"dl. Burgenland." There is a separate map that includes northern
Burgenland. This map is on a scale of 1 to 100,000, and it includes many of
the smaller villages. For example, around the town of Mischendorf where my
family is from, it also shows such tiny places as Kleinbachselten and
Perlmu"hle. It also shows forests in a fair amount of detail and has symbols
for churches.

A SOUTH OMAHA, NE ENCLAVE (from B. J. Horrum)
I have copied so many records and have done as you suggested, looking
forward for clearer spellings of names. How I wish I knew German. I would
scoop up all those books in your newsletter and read and read. We too, have a
Burgenland of sorts in South Omaha in St. Joseph Parish, where my mother,
Elizabeth Theiler was born and married. Many people who descend from the
Burgenland immigrants (especially St. John and St. Peter) live in this
parish. The Franciscan Fathers and Brothers ran the parish. Ron Baxter, who
is working on his September Trip to Burgenland, went to school there. I know
Ron hopes to get everything to you probably after Christmas. His son, Father
Greg Baxter will be coming home from Rome (where he is studying) for
Christmas. Ron's paper on his trip will be well worth the reading. (A lovely
Xmas greeting was also included.)

MORE ON WINE -from Jim Reumann ()
Re your comments in Burgenland Bunch no. 24 about Austrian wines, just a
comment for what it is worth. My family in Deutschkreutz is in the wine
business; has small vineyards and winery. But, Deutschkreutz is almost all
vineyards and wineries. Having said that, I have tasted many of the wines
produced in Deutschkreutz and they are as good as I have tasted from any
region. This past June [1997] my cousin, Gunther Glockl, who is the
Bezirksgeschaftsfuhrer for that region of the Burgenland, took me [and his
brother-in-law] to the local wine shop which is run by the town of
Deutschkreutz to promote the regions' wines. It is on the web
at:http://www.bnet.co.at/mb-tourism.

My cousin Gunther, ever the consummate politician, is in want of finding a
way to distribute the wines of Deutschkreutz in America and has asked me to
help him in this endeavor. Not being in the business, I find that A] Austrian
wines are not sold in this area and B] the laws almost prohibit someone like
me from importing for sale. I have brought wines back; had no problem going
through customs either in Cincinnati or Atlanta. If you would like, I will
obtain further info from Gunther.

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, For information
concerning the Burgenland Bunch, contact .

This thread: