BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 28A dtd 31 Jan 1998 (edited)
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:01:33 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 28A
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
January 31, 1998
(all rights reserved)

This edition of the newsletter contains a list of German language newspapers
in Western Hungary.

Editor's Introduction:
When we've exhausted the more fertile sources of genealogical information
like church and civil records, local newspapers are among others that come to
mind. I've often wondered how many there were in the Burgenland region and
pondered the availability of their archives. Fritz Knigshofer helps answer
these questions by providing the following. Our thanks for sharing the
results of his important work.

Author's Preface:
To: Editor, Burgenland Bunch Newsletter. Please find below an edited and
sorted listing of former German papers published in Western Hungary which
cover the area of today's Burgenland. As you will see, the write-up uses
excerpts from a book by Heinrich Rz published in 1935. I hope you find it
helpful.

GERMAN NEWSPAPERS and JOURNALS COVERING WESTERN HUNGARY
(Today's Burgenland) From the Beginning Until 1918.
Prepared for the Burgenland Bunch and its Friends
by Fritz Knigshofer, () Bethesda, MD
January, 1998

The following collection is excerpted from the book "Deutsche Zeitungen und
Zeitschriften in Ungarn von Beginn bis 1918" by author Heinrich Rz which was
published in Munich in 1935. A helpful librarian at the Hungarian National
Library (i.e., the Szchny Library located in the Buda Castle, Budapest,
Hungary) advised me of this little book. It can be found on a shelf in the
Historical Reading Room. Its much worn-out reference number appeared to be
2.352,1.

The book lists about 1,300 German newspapers and journals, and about 400 more
bilingual (Hungarian/German) ones. My excerpt focused on papers covering
Western Hungary, today's Burgenland. I was less rigid in my search regarding
the far north (especially Pozsony, Pressburg, Bratislava county) and
obviously may have missed some entries altogether. Therefore, the
authoritative recourse has to remain the book by Rz itself. One needs to
also keep in mind that there were newspapers and journals in the Hungarian
language which covered events in Western Hungary, especially official papers
of government, churches, and trades. So far, I have managed to identify
those only in a very limited fashion.

For some of the German and bilingual papers listed below, I have tried to
establish whether the Hungarian National Library has any holdings. In the
cases where I have already checked this question, the following entries list
the microfilm (FM) or paper (H or "signature") catalog numbers. I am not
sure whether there is general public access to the paper copies. There are
ample numbers of microfilm reading stations at the library which is open
Mondays through Saturdays, 9AM to 9PM. In 1997, a one day visiting pass was
HUF200 (about $1), and a yearly pass HUF2,000. Besides the newspaper
holdings, the library has many German books about and from the Western
Hungary region, and has continued to collect such books after 1918 (e.g.,
books published in Austria), until relatively recent times. Ordering a book
or film from the stacks to the reception desk takes up to one hour, but one
may reserve unfinished material overnight and resume work on it within up to
one week without any pickup delay.

In some cases, archives of the same newspapers may also exist at, e.g., the
Austrian National Library and the University Library in Vienna, the
Burgenland County Archives in Eisenstadt and, possibly, the separate Archives
of the Diocese Eisenstadt/Burgenland. Since the archives of the Burgenland
were created after 1918, I heard that they suffer from a dearth of earlier
material. However, the county archives of Szombathely, Sopron/Moson/Gyr and
Bratislava may have holdings, as well as the Diocesan Archives in
Szombathely, Gyr and/or Bratislava. I do not know about possible holding in
Reformist, Lutheran or Jewish archives, but these might also exist. My
knowledge is only from the Szchny Library in Budapest.

PART I
Southern Burgenland (Former Vas/Eisenburg County)

Oberwarther Sonntagzeitung, weekly, Oberwarth 1879-1918; FM
3/9954; signature 18911. This newspaper continued after 1918,
and the Szchny Library holds issues up to 1921. There are also
holdings at the Burgenland Archives in Eisenstadt, and of
post-WWI issues in Vienna.

Der Vereinsbote, monthly, Oberwart, 1899-1903.

Gssinger Zeitung, weekly, Gssing 1913-18; was continued after
1918.

Szent-Gotthrd, bilingual weekly, Sankt Gotthard 1895-1914; FM
3/966;
H 835.

Der Volksfreund, weekly, Steinamanger 1883-1916; FM 3/4038; H 1.486.

Eisenburger Nachrichten, weekly, Steinamanger 1873-77.

Eisenburg, weekly, Steinamanger, 1897-1901.

Anzeiger, Szombathely, before 1898?

Jenseits der Donau, weekly, Steinamanger, ?

Gnser Anzeiger, weekly, Gns 1874-1918; FM 3/3851; H 1.381.
This newspaper apparently continued after 1918 since the holdings
of the Szchny Library include also years 1921-1938. According
to Albert Schuch, there may also be holdings of the paper in the
Burgenland County Archives in Eisenstadt.

Gnser Zeitung, weekly, Gns 1882-1918; FM 3/5987; H 10.686.
Might also have continued after 1918 as there exists a holding of
1933-38 under signature 10.686/Z.

Evangelische Glocken, twice weekly, Pressburg-Gns 1889-1918.

Ungarische Volksschule, Oberschtzen 1879-80; FM 3/4077; H 1.593;
continued as Npiskola - Volksschule, see next.

Npiskola - Volksschule, bilingual, Oberschtzen 1884-89; FM
3/3452; successor of Ungarische Volksschule.

Westungarischer Landwirt - Nyugatmagyarorszgi Gazda, bilingual,
Steinamanger 1906-13.

Vasvrmegyi Tzrendszeti Kzlny (Vas County Firefighters'
Gazette), monthly, Hungarian with German supplement; Steinamanger
1894- 1903.
PART II
Middle and Northwestern Burgenland (Former Sopron/Oedenburg County)
Eisenstdter Zeitung, weekly, Eisenstadt 1882-82, 1886-98; merged
with Kismartoner Zeitung, see next.

Kismartoner Zeitung, weekly, Eisenstadt 1896-1908; absorbed the
Eisenstdter Zeitung in 1898.

Kismartoner Wochenschrift, weekly, Eisenstadt 1903-04.

Sauerbrunner Kur- und Localzeitung, bilingual, weekly, Sauerbrunn
1913-14.

Nezsider-Ruszter Seeuferbote, see under Northeastern Burgenland
below.

Oedenburger Nachrichten, twice weekly, Oedenburg 1868-7/1875; FM
3/2517; H 2.423/2517; continued as Oedenburger Zeitung, see next.

Oedenburger Zeitung, daily, Oedenburg 1875-1918; later continued
till 1944; FM 3/2517; H 10.441/2517; successor to
Oedenburger Nachrichten.

Oedenburger Rundschau, every two weeks (or: twice weekly?),
Oedenburg 1895-1900; FM 3/2655 (not sure); continued as Radikal,
see next.

Radikal, twice weekly, Oedenburg 1900-13; FM 3/2655; H
2.902/2655; successor to Oedenburger Rundschau; continued
as Grenzpost, see next.

Grenzpost, weekly, Oedenburg 1913-18; successor to Radikal.

Oedenburger Volksblatt, weekly, Oedenburg 1893-94; FM 3/1209; H
3.218; continued as Westungarisches Volksblatt, see next.

Westungarisches Volksblatt, three times per week, Pressburg-
Oedenburg 1894-1918; FM 3/1209; H.308/1209; successor to
Oedenburger Volksblatt.

Amtsblatt des Komitats Oedenburg, Oedenburg 1901-18, FM 3/5615
(1920 holdings only).

Oedenburger Intelligenz- und Anzeigeblatt, Oedenburg 1855-62; FM
3/4825; signature 2616.

Oedenburger Bote fr Stadt und Land, weekly, Oedenburg 1881-83(?);
H 2.558.

Oedenburger Post, Oedenburg 1892-93; FM 3/4544; H 3.057.

Express, weekly, Oedenburg 1896-1901.

Volksblatt, weekly supplement to the Oedenburger Zeitung, see
above, Oedenburg 1897; FM 3/3979.

Neue Zeitung, twice weekly, Oedenburg 11/1898-1904; FM 3/2399;
H 982/2399.

Oedenburger Volksfreund, weekly, Oedenburg 1898.

Allgemeiner Anzeiger, weekly, Oedenburg 1902-03.

Allgemeine Wochenschrift, Oedenburg 1903.

Der Freie Brger, weekly, Oedenburg 1906-09.

Westungarischer Volksfreund, weekly, Oedenburg 1910-17; FM 3/3462;
H 1.201.

Millenium Gedenkblatt, Oedenburg 1896, one issue only.

Oedenburger Nachtblatt, Oedenburg 1896, one issue only, FM 3/10602.

Wochenschrift fr die Liebhaber der Geschichte, Erdbeschreibung,
Naturkunde, etc., Oedenburg 1779-87 (yes, 18th century).

Journal des Freistdtischen Theaters Oedenburg, Oedenburg 1846.

Oedenburger Lokalblatt, previously Harmonia, belletristic paper,
Oedenburg 1864-67; FM 3/4685; signature 3631; 3632.

Der Morgenstern, twice monthly, Oedenburg 1869-70.

Das Variet, weekly, Oedenburg 1902-03.

Illustrierte Sonntagszeitung, Oedenburg 1899-1900; supplement to
Oedenburger Rundschau, see above.

Der Reisekromer, quarterly, Oedenburg 1908-09.
Evangelische Bltter aus Ungarn, monthly, Budapest-Oedenburg
1898-1914.

Soproni Kereskedk Lapja (Oedenburg's Business Paper), bilingual,
every two weeks, Sopron 1903-05.

Handelsanzeiger, monthly, Oedenburg 1906-07; previously (1891-1905)
published in Vienna.

Npiskolai Lapok (Newspaper for Schools), bilingual?, Sopron
1881-90;
FM 3/1969.

Landwirtschaftlicher Anzeiger, Oedenburg 1880-88.

Landwirtschaftlicher Anzeiger - Gazdasgi rtesit, bilingual,
Oedenburg 1880-90; could this be the same paper as the entry before?

Erste Ungarische Bauernzeitung, Oedenburg 1892-95.

Nachrichten des Oedenburger Comitats-Agricultur-Vereins, Oedenburg
1900-07.

A Gazda - Der Landwirt, bilingual, Oedenburg 1908-18.

Westungarischer Weinbergsbote, every two weeks, Oedenburg-
Pressburg 1897-1908; FM 3/4128; H 1.203.

Aesculap, twice weekly, Oedenburg 1903-06.

Die Militrische Welt, monthly, Oedenburg 1906-08.

PART III
Northeastern Burgenland and Further North (Former Moson/Wieselburg and
Pozsony/Pressburg Counties)

Nezsider-Ruszter Seeuferbote, weekly, Nezsider (Neusiedl am See)
1910.

Wieselburger Zeitung, weekly, Wieselburg 1901-04.

Mosonmegye - Mosoner Komitat, bilingual, Ungarisch Altenburg
(Magyar vr) 1902-10.

Westungarischer Grenzbote, daily, Pressburg 1872-1918; FM 3/4017;
H 1.338.

Westungarische Volkszeitung, weekly, Pressburg 1896-1902; FM
3/1639; H 2.351/1639; continued as Reform, see next.

Reform, weekly, Pressburg 1902-13; successor to
Westungarische Volkszeitung.

Westungarische Volksstimme, weekly, Pressburg 1902-18; FM 3.1301;
H 2.907/1301.

Albert Schuch (BB Burgenland Editor-see email address in signature) knows of
a Pressburger Zeitung of which there are holdings in Vienna. Please also
refer to Evangelische Glocken under Southern Burgenland above, and to
Westungarisches Volksblatt and Westungarischer Weinbergsbote under Middle and
Northwestern Burgenland above, which all had Pressburg as their co-location
of publishing.

PART IV
National Papers of Possible Regional Interest

Volksschullehrer Blatt, weekly, published by the Ministry of
Education, Budapest 1868-73; FM 3/8311; H 8.415; H 1.534.

Neue Ungarische Schulzeitung, Budapest (?) 1886-89; FM 3/3513.

Post-Zeitung, weekly, Budapest 1875-90; FM 3/2610; H 3.073/2610.

Postmeister, Fachblatt des Ungarisch-Kroatischen Post- und
Telegraphenwesens, Budapest 1879.

(Many other trades such as bakers, chimney cleaners, beekeepers,
had their own papers as well.)

Landesgesetz- und Regierungsblatt fr das Knigreich Ungarn,
1850-59.
(end of list)

A few appropriate remarks from Albert Schuch concerning availablity:
Gssinger Zeitung: 1911-1938 (not published 4/2/1922-2/8/1923); vol.1923-1938
are in Vienna (National Library). In the 1920's the priest of
Tschantschendorf was the editor; featuring many historical articles written
by Father G. Leser. Stopped in 1938, probably because the Nazis didn't like
this Catholic paper. Occasionally included information on emigrants, but not
as much as the "Oberwarther Sonntags-Zeitung".

Gnser Anzeiger: Hans Hahnenkamp quoted from a few volumes in his book "Die
burgenlndische Industrie 1885-1921", so I thought maybe he was able to use
them in Eisenstadt (Landesbibliothek/Landesarchiv).

Eisenstdter/Kismartoner Zeitung: at least partly available in Eisenstadt
(reason I think so same as above); was - according to the
"Landesbibliographie" - published until 1917

Pressburger Zeitung: started towards the end of the 18th century. Available
in Vienna (National Library). Owners/editors and contents changed very often.
I have looked at some of the 1840's (issued 2-3 times a week) and the 1860's
(daily). Occasionally included obituaries of the city of Pressburg (name,
age, occupation), also lists of promoted/moved civil servants (one can find
names of customs officials at the Austro-Hungarian border here, I spotted
names for Rudersdorf, Kukmirn, Pinkafeld, etc.). These civil servants lists
can also be found in other papers.

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, For information
concerning the Burgenland Bunch, contact .

This thread: