BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 30 dtd 28 feb 1998 (edited)
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:02:27 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 30
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
February 28, 1998
(all rights reserved)

This edition of the newsletter contains articles on the Village of Wallern,
some Andau Emigrants, INS Records, More on Books, Burgenland on TV, New Issue
of "The Bankerlsitzer", More on Burgenland Houses, A Poppendorf Obituary and
member comments, questions and answers.

***SPECIAL*****SPECIAL*****SPECIAL*****SPECIAL*****SPECIAL*****SPECIAL***
Good News! I've just been informed that my magazine article "The Burgenland
Bunch" has been accepted for publication by Heritage Quest Magazine. This
article covers the formation of our group. It is scheduled for a special
"Germanic" issue- HQ#77, Sept/Oct 1998. You may wish to subscribe to Heritage
Quest in time for the release. HQ has first rights so I can't publish the
article in our newsletter at this time. Subscription is available @ $28.00
/yr (6 copies) from Heritage Quest Magazine, P. O. Box 329, Bountiful, Utah
84011-0329. While heavy on US genealogy, a Germanic column by genealogist
Horst Reshke is one of the magazine's many great features.
*SPECIAL*****SPECIAL*****SPECIAL*****SPECIAL*****SPECIAL*****SPECIAL*

BURGENLAND VILLAGE DATA (NORTHERN SERIES NO. 2)
I have translated another article for the Northern Burgenland researchers.
Thought Wallern to be the best choice, because of the vicinity to Pamhagen
(of the first article). Wallern also belonged to Pamhagen parish for a long
time. I recently copied a list of all surnames mentioned in the Lutheran
baptism records of Pamhagen and Wallern 1653-1660, which I plan to send
later. - Albert Schuch

Wallern (Northern Article 2)
Called "villa Bala" in 1269. In 1464 already part of the domain
Forchtenstein. Probably destroyed by Turks in 1529 and rebuilt on a different
location. Part of the village fields are still called "Altdorf" (old
village). Other sources say a flood made the inhabitants move their houses.

In 1589 24 families farmed in Wallern, 22 on whole sessios, and 2 on half
sessios. The surnames of these farmers were: 4 UNGER; 2 KOHLNU"BER, LANG,
SCHMIED; 1 LENTSCH, RENNER, FU"RNS, RO"SNER, RATH, HAUER, FRONAUER, WIRNSNER,
KOTZENMACHER, JA"NNDL, RISCHL, HUETFLU"SS, LENTSCHITZ, KIEREIN POLTINGER.
Wallern became a Lutheran village by the end of the 16th century. When the
Lutheran bishop Gregor MUZSAY visited the maternal parish Pamhagen, Wallern
was represented by the Richter (village headman) Ambros KU"RAIN, who was
accompanied by August UNGER (48 y) and Martin SCHNEIDER (30 y). The catholic
"visitatio" of 1663 says that the inhabitants of Wallern are newly reformed
Catholics. In 1674 Wallern already had a school. In 1680 Matthias HARING from
Donnerskirchen (44 y) was teacher, in 1696 Michael DA"CHEL (46 y). The
Urbarium for 1675 shows 9 farmers with a whole sessio and 30 with a half
sessio. Their surnames are: 10 UNGER; 6 SCHNEIDER; 3 DENK; 2 FLEISCHHACKER,
RAUHBORTER; 1 STROMMER, PAUER, AUER, OPITZ, RAINER, NITSCH, WOLKENDORFER,
ZECHMEISTER, HISSMANN, RUPOLD, MUER, KRIEHMANN (KRIEGMANN), ALTENBURGER,
ZAGENSCHMIED, DA"CHEL, HALBBAUER. The surnames of the 20 So"llners are: 2
JANDL, ROTH; 1 HAUER, HAIDER, FUHRMANN, PFEIFFER, STADTMU"LLER, MAGL, WEIGL,
RENNER, MARTINGER, BINDER, BAUMGARTNER, LIDY (LIDITSCH). Apart from the
farmer's and So"llner's houses the village has a school house, an inn, a
sheperd's house and a butcher's house.

The baptism records of Pamhagen parish (starting 1681) show the following
additional surnames for Wallern 1681-1715: LANG, STEINER, HOHMANN, WUNDERLER,
KOPPA (KAPI), GELLES (GO"LLO"S, KU"LLO"S), LEITNER, KANITSCH, KLESCHITZ,
KRUPITSCH.

The visitatio of 1713 still shows Michael DA"CHEL as teacher, the inhabitants
are Catholics, but their religious conduct is described as "cold". In 1720
Georg KLEMENS was teacher. (In 1713 he had been teacher in Tadten, then aged
25.) Stayed until about 1729. In 1730 a small church was built (St. Matthew),
Georg GREISI was Richter. In 1734 Wallern became a parish, Johann JANKOWITSCH
was the first priest. He started church records in the same year. He writes
that the people of Wallern keep singing their Lutheran songs. Further
priests: Georg HO"FER (1738-43), Anton NEMETHY (1743-48), Matthias FLITSCH
(1758-79), Michael REINPRECHT (1779-1812), Georg SENTNER (1812-53), Josef
WITTMANN (1853-72), Johann WAYAN (1872-87), Stefan SU"TO" (1887-1902), Martin
GRAF (1902-06), Josef HEURIGS (1906-26), Paul LANG (1927-38), Johann ETTL
(1940-54), Hanns HEIDER (1954-?). Teachers were Johann Adam RAUHOFER
(1760-69), Josef WESTERMEIER (1776-84), Johann GLATZ (1787-1814), Georg UNGER
(1822-34), Ignaz HO"NIG (1825; "praeceptor", that is assisting teacher),
Josef KIRCHKNOPF (1837-42; from O"denburg), Josef JAROSCH (1846-53), Anton
HACKL (1861-73; from Sieggraben), Josef JAROSCH (1873; assisting teacher;
probably son of the above mentioned), Georg BOGNER (died 1871), Johann
KAMPITSCH (1890ies), Georg FORSTNER (around 1900), Franz VERTES (1902-14),
Josef ZECHMEISTER (1914-19), Josef PILLES (1919-23), Geysa HAIDER (1923-38),
Josef HOFSTA"DTER (1938-44), Ladislaus MOLLAY (1950-?).

Before the draining of the swamps, large quantities of hay were sold to
Vienna. 1894-97 the swamps (part of the large swamp area called "Waasen" or
"Hansag") were drained and the farmers started to raise corn and sugar beets
on the new fields.

Surnames in 1952: 27 MICHLITSCH, 17 SCHNEIDER, 16 UNGER, 14 KRIEHMANN; 10
HALBBAUER, SCHWARZBAUER; 9 DENK, THU"RINGER; 8 MU"LLER; 7 SOMMER; 5 GRAISY; 4
KANDELSDORFER, LANG, HAIDER; 3 FLEISCHHACKER, TSCHIDA. (source: Josef
LOIBERSBECK: Am Waasen. In: Volk und Heimat 13-17/1966)

ANDAU EMIGRANTS (from pre 1997 BB email)
Some emigrants from Andau in Northern Burgenland (extracted from the
"Chronik der Marktgemeinde Andau", published in 1993-numbers following names
are ages):
1888: Josef GELBMANN, 28 y, plus wife and 2 children; Johann SATTLER, 46,
farmer, + w. + 5 ch.; Peter STIPL, 42, + w. + 4 ch.; Martin SATTLER, 42, + w.
+ 1 ch.; Johann PECK, 32, + w. + 5 ch.; Michael RIESCHL, 44, + w. + 7 ch.;
Martin WEIDINGER, 25; Gregorius HAHN, 26, + w. + 1 ch.; Theresia PECK, 22;
Mathias RECH, 27, farmer, + w. + 3 ch.; Lorenz PECK, 26, + w.; Angelika ADAM,
33; Andreas POLREISS, 45, + w. + 5 ch.; Florian ENGELBERT, 27, + w.; Borbalya
BECK, 19; Michael WOLFSBAUER, 24, + w. + 2 ch.; Johann GRUBER, 24.
1889: Borbalya ENGELBERT, 23; Michael FANGL, 35, + w. + 2 ch.; Maria PECK,
20; Susanna PECK 24; Borbalya BECK, 28; Lorenz WAHRMANN, 30, + w. + 2 ch.;
Martin SATTLER, 26; Maria SATTLER, 20. 1890: Georg BOHNENSTINGL, 20; Maria
BOHENSTINGL, 19; Michael SPIELMANN, 60, + w. + 4 ch.; Michael PECK, 21.1892:
Martin SATTLER, 58, + w.; Anna PERLINGER, 19; Anna ROSANITS, 45. 1893: Josef
WAHRMANN, 22. 1894: Maria PECK, 18; Maria THELL, 19.

IMMIGRATION & NATURALIZATION SERVICE (INS) RECORDS
Geri Hartmann from Arnold, Mo. needs some help with ship manifests. This is
not one of my better areas of expertise. Maybe someone can provide more help.
She writes:

<< First, let me say Happy New Year. Thank you for all the time and energy
you have given me on my family research. Without your help and the
assistance of your other members I would still be in square one wondering
what to do next. PERSISTENCE PREVAILS!!!!! Here is some good news. One of
the very best presents I received was the news received Xmas Eve. Received a
letter from Washington DC with a copy of my grandfathers Letter of Intention
and the application for naturalization. It contained some very interesting
news. Grandfather left Hamburg Germany on 4 February 1906 and arrived in the
Port of New York on the ship Pennsylvania on 2 March 1906. Imagine my
excitement. This news was so wonderful I had to shout it to everyone I knew.
I now know that both gmother and gfather lived in GrossPetersdorf. The
letter of intention was applied for in 1910 and gfather acknowledges gmother
as wife. We know that they were married in 1909 here in the US and that
gfather was not actually naturalized until 1917. I don't know if this was
common length of time (1910 - 1917) but I suppose this is not really
important. I have been on a hunt to find out gmothers immigration info but
have been unable to get any info. When I received gfathers info it only
stood to reason that gmother didn't need to file paperwork because it was
automatic with gfather's paperwork. This now leaves me with another task. I
am stuck on how to get the US arrival info on gmother. So here are some
questions. I hope you can help. >> (my answers follow each question)
<< 1. Is it possible that gmother came over with gfather? >>
Sure, but if they came together the landing card would mention it.
<< 2. How old could you be in order to travel to US alone? >>
I don't know if there was an age limit. I've seen them as young as 12.
As long as they were healthy, had money and a destination, I don't think age
was a problem.
<<3. How can I get a copy of ships log to see if any other relatives
accompanied gfather on trip >
I'm not an expert on this. There are two sources of information. There is the
landing card prepared by the Immigration & Naturalization Service. These are
available through The AGL (American Genealogical Lending Library whose
microfilm copies are available at many libraries-maybe the LDS) or the
National Archives (various locations). You must know year and port of entry.
Name of ship helps. You supply your Family Name Soundex code and port and
year. You get a microfilm with the landing cards for that Soundex. Then you
scan till you find your person. Card has lots of information like money,
where from, description, traveling with, age, sex, name, port left, arrival
date, ship, etc. Also gives you the volume and page nos. for the ships'
manifests. Then there are the ships logs (manifests) as such. I believe they
are also available at the National Archives. I believe you can write to them
and pay a fee and they'll send you photo copies. There are also lists which
tell you by date the names of ships that arrived in various ports. This is
not easy searching and the records are often handwritten, faded and stained.
Some have been copied via typewriter.

<< 4. Did sponsors have to be US citizens? I don't know but I doubt it.>>
They went to the city (county?) clerk and there was a government form they
filled out promising the immigrant wouldn't be a charge on the government and
that they would be responsible. They had to have a residence and a job. I
don't know when this started but I think it was late, like after WWI.

<< 5. Assuming that gmother came at a different time, maybe between 1906 -
1909, how can I find out arrival info on gmother?>> Tough if you don't know
the year. You'd have to Soundex search all four years. I'd go to 1910 US
census for her county of residence and try to find her listing. This will
tell you the year she emigrated. 1920 Census will also. If it's correct you
can order film for that year. I'll publish this in a future newsletter and
maybe someone near where you live can tell you the nearest INS facility and
how to write to them. I don't have that information. Believe there is one in
St. Louis. Course you can always take a trip to Washington! Gerry Berghold

MORE ON BOOKS
Dale Knebel sends me information about another worthwhile Austro-Hungarian
immigrant reference work. "American Immigrant Cultures"- Builders of a Nation
-in two volumes edited by Levinson and Ember, MacMillan Reference USA, Simon
& Schuster Macmillan, New York. Contains 6 pages on Austrians, Early
Immigration History, Immigration, Cultural Exodus, Post World War II
Immigration and a bibliography of 8 books, some of which we've already
mentioned. The Hungarian Section goes to 10 pages. Slight mention of the
Burgenland but good general coverage. Look for it in the reference section of
your local library.

New member Dean Wagner, lists a book, "Ships of Our Ancestors", by Michael J.
Anuta, published 1983, by Ships of Our Ancestors, Menominee, Michigan. It
contains pictures of the ships of the era of heavy immigration and also
connects them to the shipping lines that owned them, useful for scanning them
into the family genealogy. Dean also has a Website where he has his
genealogy.

KOGL BOOK AVAILABLE (from Albert Schuch)
Hap, the day has come: the Kogl history book has been published. It costs 190
Austrian Schilling, can be ordered from the parish Kogl. Guess you would have
to add something for postage. I think I'll order one for me, then I can also
tell you if it is worth the 190 Schillings.

BURGENLAND ON US TELEVISION (from Frank Teklits)
I described a nice show to Albert Schuch that my wife saw in late December on
the TV show, "Food Network", which had some nice scenes of Burgenland, within
a show on Austria. Albert asked me to provide a description for the BB
newsletter, but since I saw only a portion of the show, I said that I'd
request a re run from the Network. Roughly 3 weeks after the request, it was
rerun yesterday, and my comments follow:

An interesting show was rerun by request recently on the TV Show, FOOD
Network, which devoted a very enjoyable 10 to 12 minutes to Burgenland, as
part of a trip to Austria. Robin Leech, and Sally Jesse Raphael, of talk show
fame host the show. Prior to the scenes about Burgenland, the show centers on
Vienna, its scenic, and cuisine attractions. There are very attractive views
of St. Stephens Cathedral, Schonbrunn Castle, Sacher Hotel (and its famous
Torte with apricot jam), the Pastry Shop, Hotel Imperial, and the Spanish
Riding school. Some enjoyable portions of the show were those devoted to the
Pastry Shop and Vienna Culinary Institute particularly those devoted to the
making of an apple strudel. It was said that the best strudels are made of
dough so thin that one can read newspaper print through it, (ed. note: place
dough made from high gluten flour in middle of table, roll as thin as
possible and then making like a cat kneading its claws, reach underneath and
pull & pull & pull!), which was subsequently demonstrated. Comments made by
the master chef to Robin Leech were particularly enjoyable.

The Coffee shop dialogue was interesting as both Hosts mused over the word
Gemutlichkeit, (a Dictionary states it is a cozy atmosphere/leisureliness)
which was described on the show by an Austrian "as a way of living", "a state
of mind", and that it would be "just lovely for the States".

The portion on Burgenland begins with beautiful scenic pastoral views, of
gentle rolling hills, and tidy cottages. Scenes followed of the village of
Rust (SE of Eisenstadt), and the Burgenland Wine institute, which is located
there. Robin Leech stated that the 1995 vintage from Burgenland was
particularly good. A large portion of this segment is devoted to Eisenstadt,
the capital of the Province of Burgenland, which was the home of the world
famous music composer, Joseph Haydn. Scenes depict the beautiful interior of
the Esterhazy Palace, which was described by the Hosts as one of Austria's
premier concert halls, and a view is shown of the ornate interior of the
concert hall within the palace, replete with a wooden floor. The floor was
reported to have been the result of Haydn's insistence of replacing a
beautiful marble floor with wood to improve the acoustic qualities of the
chamber.

Scenes were shown of a chef, Walter Eiselbach, who was described as one of
the best chefs in Austria, and his restaurant "Taubenkobel" located in the
village of Schutzen, which is NE of Eisenstadt. Among his amusing comments
was "Americans have finally learned to eat". The transplanted Austrian in
California, Chef Wolfgang Puck, recommended his restaurant. (Some of the name
spellings are a best guess of what was heard on the show)

Perhaps the show will be rerun again, but it may be a suggestion for the
group to consider providing inputs on shows the BB may be interested in
seeing. I'm not implying that the Network reran the show in response to my
request alone, as I personally think that Austria has a certain allure to
many of us, and other more influential parties may have asked for it. These
shows are sensitive to viewers comments.

By the way as Albert already knows, my better half treated me to a delicacy,
"pogatchels" (potato biscuits), which were terrific. After reading BB
Newsletter #27, I introduced a new member, Edward Ifkovits from CT, to his
namesake, a lifelong friend of mine now living in SC. Have a good day, and
a great week.

BANKERLSITZLER (from Albert Schuch)
The Rudersdorf Bankerlsitzer by Peter Sattler has a new URL:
<http://www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/bzotter/bs>;
A new issue is ready and is available on the web. (I have heard that the
Burgenland Bunch has been given some coverage, but I have not yet seen it
myself.)

MORE ON BURGENLAND HOUSES (from Albert Schuch)
(Ed.), Albert sent me some aerial photos of Kleinzicken and Kleinpetersdorf ,
plus a photo of the Sauerzopf home in Stegersbach. The villages are typical
"Strassendorf", with the houses positioned along a north-south secondary road
connecting Grosspetersdorf (which is on route 63) and Kohfidisch and then
extending to route 57 at St. Michael, with the fields in farm strips behind
the houses. The Sauerzopf house is one of the main types found in the
Burgenland. Albert answers my questions:

> When would you say the Sauerzopf house was built (early 1800's ?).
I'd rather say late 1800's, although a Sauerzopf house has been there
centuries earlier (at least since the 16th century), it just has been rebuilt
or renovated constantly.

> Does that large (centered on outer wall) door open to a courtyard? I notice
the chimney in the rear which must mean the kitchen is there. Could you
describe the floor plan for me? <

Yes, there is a courtyard. This house is what is called a "Dreiseithof"
(three side), meaning it has a front, rear, and left hand side, whereas the
courtyard is open to the right hand side. It has not always been this way:
the oldest part of the building is the left hand side. Originally there was
just this side, the building was what is called a "Streckhof" (built in a
straight line). Most old Burgenland houses were built this way, all with the
same floor plan: "Vorderstuben" (front room), "Kuchl" (kitchen),
"Hinterstuben" (rear room), stable, barn. When my mother grew up (she was
born 1932) the house was already a Dreiseithof. The front consisted (apart
from the "Vorderstuben") of the entrance and one room at the right hand side
of the entrance. The rear included stables for hens and pigs etc., was mainly
timber construction. My mother, her sister and mother slept in the
Vorderstuben, father in the Hinterstuben, and the (4) brothers in the room at
the right hand side of the entrance. The attic was used to store corn, flour
etc.

> Do I see a beehive in the picture of the garden?
No, but there was one some 25 years ago. A brother of my mother's used to
raise bees. (ed. note-bees are frequently kept in orchards for pollination
purposes)

> The aerial view of Kleinpetersdorf ... Do you know the significance of the
tree line in the left of the picture? Is this some kind of "fence" separating
property or is it a "bach" (the Zickenbach perhaps?). Since there is also
one to the right, it may be the Tauchenbach. <

These are the Zicken(bach) and the Pinka. The Zicken flows into the Pinka
south of Kleinzicken, just before reaching the village Kotezicken.

A GREAT POPPENDORF OBITUARY (translation from Fritz Knigshofer)
(ed. note: compared to our current terse and lifeless obituaries, this is a
most moving one. Combining a memorial with an impassioned plea for justice,
it evokes the tenure of the times. You can't ignore the fact that although
you'd imagine the German speaking residents of Poppendorf as siding with the
Germanic Austrians, in fact they supported the Hungarians in the 1848
Revolution. How we'd like to have an obit like this for all of our Burgenland
ancestors!). Translation follows:

Dear A. J., Here is the translation of the obit of Andreas Medl. It appeared
in the issue of Der Volksfreund dated March 23, 1907, and was written by my
great-grandfather Adolf Ko"nigshofer, the village teacher in the Catholic
primary school of Poppendorf.

"Andreas Medl +. On the 17th of this month [March 17, 1907], the far and
widely known, modest countryman Andreas Medl was buried in Patafalva
[Poppendorf]; his good friends and acquaintances came in crowds from the
nearby villages, as well as from Nmetujvr [Gssing] and Inzenhof, to pay
him, the good, honorably grey haired , man, the last honors. He was born in
the year 1829, saw the significant year 1848 (Hungarian Revolution) set in,
heard the lamentations, saw the dear homeland bleed, and was also forced to
witness the shameful injustice inflicted upon the loved home country. He
knew to tell many, many stories, and how often did he say: "While we are
Germans here, if we would only have had the power in those times, we would
have beaten these Austrians out of our lands, so that they would have arrived
back home without stockings and shoes. How mad we all were with rage, when
they [the Austrians] hanged our people, one by one, in Arad; but believe me,
this will once get paid back to them. While I myself am already quite old,
our children will not forget the year 1848 and they will pick up their
rifles if and when necessary. Then nobody will help the Austrians, just as
nobody helped the English with the Boers, and nobody will help the Russians
either."

>From his early manhood, he was elected into the village council, and almost
all his life he served as judge and as school chairman. The whole parish
admired him like a father, and children as well as grownups drew their hats
in respect before him.

At his grave, the parish priest Reverend Anton Martin held a deeply moving
memorial speech.

Thus has he left us, but his good works and deeds will tell future
generations what a magnanimous, brave man, full of character, he had been.
Piece to his ashes! "

It is quite an (unexpected) challenge to translate this relatively archaic
language. I hope you like it. Best regards, Fritz

SOME MEMBER COMMENTS

NORTH-SOUTH BURGENLAND EMIGRANTS
New member Maureen Tighe-Brown asks the following: << < I'm curious: why are
most of your members looking for relatives from the southern Burgenland
region, instead of the more densely populated northern region, what do you
think? >>

The bulk of northern region migrations (Seewinkle) took place earlier
(1870-90) while the southern regions took place later (1890-1914),
(1919-1930), 1950's. There is thus a greater generation gap. In addition
you'll find that there was more emigration from the south. It was a poorer
region. What I'm saying is that there are more descendants of southern
families and they are looking for g-grandparents, etc. whom they know came
from Burgenland, as opposed to people looking for g-g-g-grandparents and not
knowing their origin. Most new genealogists begin to have serious problems
when they get beyond the 5th generation or try to find that first foreign
link.

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, For information
concerning the Burgenland Bunch, contact .

This thread: