BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 32 dtd 31 Mar 1998 (edited)
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:04:05 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 32
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND
GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
(all rights reserved)
March 31, 1998

This edition of the newsletter contains articles on
villages of Kroatisch Tschantschendorf and Tudersdorf
(continuation of the Father Leser series), Reasons For Emigration,
Some Offers of Genealogy Service, More on Definition of "Hold",
Names of Donors, Language Disputes, Comments From Australia,
Sister Cities, Northampton - Stegersbach and Eltendorf Visitors .

21) KROATISCH TSCHANTSCHENDORF (K. T.)
Situated west of Deutsch Tschantschendorf on the banks of the
river Strem. Probably founded by Croatian refugees in the early
16th century. First mentioned in a tax conscription of 1582 under
the name of "Beed Chench", Beed probably being the name of a
nobleman who owned the village. In 1605 already called "Horvath
Chench", the nobleman Franz FRANCICS paid tax for 2 houses.
Until 1788 part of the Croatian parish Sankt Nikolaus bei Gssing.
The Gssing baptism records of 1686-90 include the following
surnames of K.T.- inhabitants: CASZICZ, JELENCHICH,
RADOSTICZ, FABICZ / FABICH, GARDRESICH, GEORGSICH,
PUSTOBONACH, JANDRIZ, MIKOVICS, STANDISCH,
MARTINCSICS, JANDRISOVICH, IFKOVICH. In 1818 Paul
JANDRISOVITS paid 30 florins for a cross. A church bell dating
back to 1641 survived WW I. 186 inhabitants in 1745, 268 in
1850, today (1929) 216 in 45 houses, most people still speak
Croatian, but all speak German. About 25 people emigrated
to.(source: V+H Nr. 14/1957)

22) TUDERSDORF
Newly founded in the 16th century, the territory having belonged
to Deutsch Tschantschendorf before. First mentioned in 1582 as
"Radovan Chench", in 1750 also called "Totter Csencs" or "Torrod", in
1850 "Radvancsencs" or "Tarodcsencs". Inhabitants in 1750: Mikule,
Matthias, Paul, Jure and Ive PANY (Jure and Ive being brothers),
Matte JANDRISOVICH. Inhabitants in 1789 apart from the PANY
and JANDRISOVICH: Matthias UNGER, Franz BURKOVITS and Ive
KEGLOVITS. The dead were buried in Kroatisch Tschantschendorf
until 1867. Inhabitants: 1812: 76, 1832: 70, 1850: 82, 1920:
120. About 40 inhabitants emigrated to America.
(source: V+H Nr. 14/1957)

REASONS FOR EMIGRATION (from Fritz Konigshofer)
(Ed. note: at least through the second generation we have all heard
our immigrant ancestors tell why they left the "Heimat". The reasons
are many and varied. In addition they changed over time. Some
were as simple as wanting something better, others more
complicated. Frequently there was a host of reasons with one being
the trigger; the final straw as it were. This article, found and
translated by Fritz Knighofer furnishes an excellent summary of
reasons during one period of greatest emigration.)

Fritz writes:
The following article about the subject of emigration appeared in
the May 25, 1907 issue of "Der Volksfreund," a weekly German
language newspaper published in Szombathely. The author signed
his name "Veritas" (= truth) and his or her identity remains
unknown. The list of villages in the last paragraph of the article
suggests that the author might have lived in the area of Gssing,
Strem or Deutsch-Schtzen. Many of the correspondents of Der
Volksfreund were local teachers, and "Veritas" might well have also
been a teacher. Translation follows:

The Emigration and its Consequences-May 25.1907
"More than enough has already been written about this subject and,
as it looks, all the warnings, all the official measures against the
emigration, have had little or no effect, as the emigration troops
get ever larger, and more frequent too.Well, what is it that moves
our population that much toward emigrating? The motives and
reasons are very distinct.

There is the one who is too heavily indebted. As he finds it elusive,
despite hard work and thriftiness, to clear his debts, he sets out for
greener pastures. In another case, it is two hearts in love, who let
themselves be shipped to the other shore and, over there, marry
against the wish of their parents. There are others yet, and this
group constitutes the vast majority, who lead quite a comfortable
life in their home country: they have land and soil, a hard working
wife, good children, no or rather little debt, and still they don't want
to stay here. Encouraged and spurred on by the stories of their
neighbors, friends and acquaintances, who had already been in
America once, twice, or even three times, they also want to try it.

The interesting journey over the big ocean ( which, however, quickly
loses all its appeal), the large, beautiful cities, the good wages, the
inexpensive food, and especially the cheap beer...... who could resist
all these temptations? The reality naturally looks different because
the ones who have already been once or twice in America can
sometimes tell a lot, but then often can show little for it. The cases
are very few and far between, where - compared to the huge travel
expenses, life-threatening dangers and the like - one is able to gain
an adequate compensation.

Very rare is the case that one or the other manages to earn over
several years some hundreds, or perhaps thousands, and, let's say
he would have worked and saved during these times as
superhumanly here at home or in Austria as he did over there,
wouldn't he be likely quite well off too? Certainly.

Here at home, most people obviously spend most of their life with
criticizing, and consume most of their weekly earnings on Sunday in
the inn [Gasthaus], while grumbling about the bad times. This way,
nothing can be achieved anywhere. Aren't there very many among
our emigrated countrymen who, lacking the will to save, do also
extremely badly over there? In any case, it is true that the mass
emigration is bringing more misfortune than fortune upon many of
our countrymen.

Many family fathers have already been in America for years, live
there in concubinage, don't care the least about their wives and kids
at home. Due to the long separation, they become fully estranged
of each other, and, therefore, there are also many women here at
home who seek out a "comrade," and very soon the consequences
are there for all to see. For such couples, does any scope remain
for a happy life and reunion?

And lastly, how sadly looks the situation with the military draft.
Nearly not even the third part of the young men liable for service
are present when they are called. How bad for Hungary would it be,
if need were to emerge for an urgent mobilization. Indeed, even in
the birth records and in the number of children of school age, there
has been a significant reduction over the last 10 years in the areas
of the country where emigration has become prevalent.

And aren't there lots of emigrants who bid their old home country
goodbye forever, and make America their permanent residence?
Just in this very moment, there is an effort underway in
Northampton [Lehigh Valley (county), PA, later became Allentown
(ed. not so-Allentown has always been an independant city)] to
build a catholic church. The congregation there consists completely
of emigrated workers from Hungary and meanwhile counts 3,000
souls. Most of them are from our county [Vas], namely from the
villages: Szentpterfa [Postrum], Porn [Pernau], Nmethzas
[could this be misspelled and mean Nmethsos ... Deutsch
Ehrensdorf?], Lipcz [Steinfurt], Tobaj, and other places." (end of
translation)

HUNGARIAN GENEALOGY SERVICE OFFERED
From: (George Eotvos); Reply-to:familyt@
hungary.net
Dear Mr. Berghold, My name is George Eotvos and I am the partner
and research director of Family Tree Ltd., in Budapest. Our
company, Central Europe's largest genealogical and probate
research bureau, was established in Budapest in 1988. We
undertake work within the area of what was formerly the Austro-
Hungarian Empire, including: Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Rebublic,
Austria-Burgenland, Northern Italy, Transylvania, Croatia, Slovenia,
former Yugoslavia and the Ukraine. Please allow me to direct your
kind attention to our web page, located at http://www.familytree.hu
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions ! Thank you
! Best regards, George Eotvos , FAMILY TREE Ltd. Genealogical
Research Bureau - HUNGARY
Member of the National Genealogical Society (USA); Phone: (36 1)
331 3569 / Fax: (36 1) 302 7388; mailto:
http://www.familytree.hu

MORE ON HISTORICAL TERMS (from Joseph J Jarfas)
Hi Gerry, your news letters are enlightening - to say the least - and
very informative. Can't get too deep into some of the subjects you
bring up, but I just wanted to add my two cents' worth to land
measures. From what I know we have in Hungary (learned in
school!): Kataszter hold = 1600 'ngyszgl' or Quadratklafter;
Normal or small hold = 1200. On the the last measure I had a
discussion with a friend of mine not too long ago. He claims that
1200 was/is the norm, and small was 1000. The way I remember:
only 1200 and 1600 were counted for a hold. Will try and get some
better definitions.

NAMES OF 1920's DONORS TO PROJECTS IN LOIPERSDORF
DISTRICT
-Look for your ancestor! (from Albert Schuch)
This is an example of a list of donators as published in the
"Oberwarther Sonntags Zeitung" (these were advertisments paid for
by those who received the money). Here are two examples. I guess
Johann Glatz is Tom's grandfather, and Theresia Strock should be
Johann's cousin.
O.S.Z., 22 Aug 1923:
Spendenausweis. Fr das Kriegerdenkmal (war memorial) in
Loipersdorf haben folgende Landsleute in Amerika gespendet (have
the following countrymen donated-money): John ZISSER, John
GROSBAUER KUCHER, Josef RINGBAUER je 5 d, Frank TRIPAMER
4 d, John URBAUER 2.50 d, John GLATZ, Michael KRUTZLER,
Samuel URBAUER, Marie RINGBAUER geb. URBAUER, John KOCH,
Elisabeth HOFMAN geb. FEIDL, Therese STROCK geb. GLATZ,
Alois PRADL, Karl TRIPAMER je 2 d, John KRUTZLER, John GALL
je 1 d. Zusammen 41.50 Dollar. Fr diese Spenden dankt
herzlichst: Die Gemeindevertretung.

O.S.Z., 30 Sep 1923:
Spendenausweis und Danksagung.
Zur Anschaffung (for the purchase of) einer zweiten Glocke (
double church bell) in der evangelischen Gemeinde (Lutheran
District of) Loipersdorf kamen uns von unseren lieben Landsleuten
(received from our dear countrymen) in Amerika nachstehende
Spenden zu Hnden, wofr wir unseren innigsten Dank (official
thanks) zur Oeffentlichkeit bringen. Besonders danken wir Frau
Theresia STROCK, geborene GLATZ in Chicago und Herrn Josef
KOCH in St. Louis, fr ihre groe Mhe, mit welcher sie die
Sammlung einleiteten und durchfhrten. Aus Chicago kamen uns
folgende Spenden zu: Johann GROSZBAUER, Loipersdorf, 6 Dollar,
Nikolaus und Theresia STROCK, Loipersdorf, Theresia KERN,
Loipersdorf, John KOCH, Loipersdorf, Johann URBAUER,
Loipersdorf, Johann GLATZ, Loipersdorf, Herr und Frau GALL,
geb.(born) ZIRMANN, Theresia LEHNER, Loipersdorf, Maria
RINGBAUER, geb. URBAUER, Joff BHM, Kitzladen 22, Josef
BHM, Kitzladen 22, Samuel URBAUER, Loipersdorf, Maria
FEICHTINGER und Samuel URBAUER, Loipersdorf, je 5 Dollar,
Josef WELTLER, Kitzladen, 3 d, Samuel KERN, Allhau 226, Theresia
SONNENBERG, geb. RINGBAUER, Theresia KOCH, Loipersdorf,
Johann RINGBAUER, Buchschachen, M. KOCH, geb.BRUNNER,
Loipersdorf, John HASING, Chic. Ill., Elisabeth RITTER, geb. KERN,
Loipersdorf, Th. WELTLER, Kitzladen 3, Ccilie KRAUSZ,
Loipersdorf, John WELTLER, Kitzladen, Josef GROSZ, Wolfau 139,
je 2 d, Maria RITTER, Wolfau, Maria FEICHTINGER, Buchschachen,
Samuel HIRTZER, Allhau, Alexander HEIST, Pinkafeld, Samuel
HAGENAUER, Buchschachen, Frau DESTENHAUSER, Mi
VISPKOCIL, Chic. Ill., BLCKMANN, Chic. Ill., Samuel MARTH,
Buchschachen, Anna WELLES, geb. DANIEL, Herr und Frau
PFEILER, Allhau, Theresia SCHRANTZ, Schreibersdorf, Josef
GOGER, Kemethen, Johann WILFINGER, M. REHLING geb.
HERMANN, Kitzladen, Elisabeth BITERS, Kukmirn, Josef KUH,
Drumling, Michael RITTER, Wolfau, John REITTER, Chic. Ill., Josef
IGLER, Wolfau, Tobias ZAPFEL, Riedlingsdorf, Johanna PAUSZ,
Stuben, Frau MAYER, Chic. Ill., Maria WELTLER, Buchschachen,
Josef KERN, Allhau 276, Josef FLASCH, Wolfau, Josef GRASSEL,
Allhau 149, Josef HIRTZER, Allhau, Anton TITZ, Chic. Ill., Anna
RITTER, geb. BRUNNER, Buchschachen, Rosa IGLER, Wolfau,
Samuel MUSSER, Allhau, John BRUNNER, Buchschachen, Franz
PAUSS, Buchschachen, Josef PAUSS, Allhau, je 1 Dollar, Maria
KIRNBAUER, Wolfau, 0.60 d, Mi SCHREDER, Chic. Ill., Maria
URBAUER, Buchschachen, Karl BECK, Chic. Ill., Frau UIDL, Allhau,
Johann MLLER, Wolfau, John ZUMPF, Bernstein,
Elisabeth SEIBOLD, Allhau, Josef GROSZ, Wolfau, Th. BISCHOF,
Allhau, John SCHUH, Eberau, Maria HOLL, Allhau, Elise UIDL,
Allhau, Samuel FEICHTINGER, Buchschachen, Theresia ULREICH, je
0.50 d, Mi BECHER, Chic., Mi KRAUS, Chic., Frau KREITZ, Chic.,
Mi HAWLIK, Chic. Ill., Eduard KOHLHAUSER, Steiermark, je 0.25
d. Aus St. Louis kamen uns folgende Spenden zu: Josef KOCH,
Loipersdorf, Josef LEHNER, Loipersdorf, Josef PIFF sen.,
Loipersdorf, Johann GROSZBAUER, Loipersdorf, Alois WEBER,
Loipersdorf, je 5 d,
Josef PIFF jun., Loipersdorf, 3 d, Johann KURTZ, Buchschachen,
Johann WEBER, Loipersdorf, Josef RINGBAUER, Loipersdorf, Josef
LEHNER, Kitzladen, je 3 d, Adolf EBERSBACK, Deutschland, Karl
NADLER, Grafenschachen, je 1 d. Loipersdorf, 23. September
1923, Das evangelische Presbyterium A. B., Josef BHM, m.p.,
Kurator Ernst POLSTER, m.p. Lehrer.

Member Tom Glatz does a little searching and reports the following
re the above: "Albert-I brought the list of donors to the Jolly
Burgenlaender Fasching Dance on Friday evening. I was right. All of
these people were members of the Peace Evangelical Church in
Chicago. There are some descendants who always go to this dance.
One in particular, Willard Grassl, whose parents were from Allhau
was present. We have believed that we are related for some time.
He also has records that the pastor extracted. Unfortunately he
doesn't have a computer to join us. I wish he could. Perhaps he
needs a little encouragement to go farther than he has. He doesn't
know about things like the LDS archives, etc.. I am gradually trying
to explain all of this to him. We will be meeting at my home soon.
Anyway, he knew almost all of the people that were listed as
donors, including Theresia Strock. I gave him a copy of the list. He
said he would bring it to church today to show everyone. Thanks
again for sending me this info!"

QUESTION ABOUT LANGUAGE DISPUTES (Fritz Knigshofer to
Tom Grennes)
Language disputes might have contributed reasons for emigration,
but I do not think they were a main cause. It is true that the
Hungarians tightened the screws on official language use from the
late 19th century onwards. They insisted that children learn
Hungarian at elementary school, and insisted on the use of the
Hungarian village names; changed even the remaining purely
German village names, just to have a Hungarian official form for all
of them. There were also very lively politics (clerical-conservative,
pan-Germanistic, patriotic-Hungarian etc.). However, I was recently
able to browse through all issues of the Volksfreund from 1891 till
1909, a German weekly published in Szombathely, and found no
reference to the nationalization pressure contributing to
emigration. On the other hand, who would have dared writing
about such a subject? Probably nobody. I'll ask my father, who
lives in Austria, and has a lot of knowledge of the driving forces of
that time (though he was born only in 1915).

I do not think that a village's language changed. People continued
to use German or Croatian in daily life, and it remained also the
language at the village schools, besides the requirement to teach
the children Hungarian. There was a commission from Szombathely
that traveled one region of Western Vas county each year to check
how effective the teachers were in teaching the small children the
Hungarian language. After they returned to Szombathely, they
decided who would receive large to small monetary premiums for
success in teachingHungarian. My great-grandfather was never
among the receivers! I do not know whether there was a change in
the official language in 1903, and what this would have meant. I
could think that it meant that civil registration (birth, marriage,
death) had to be reported in Hungarian, but I doubt it.The writing
of the records was in Hungarian from the introduction of civil
registration in October 1895 onwards, at least the duplicates which
are in the archives in Budapest. The Hungarians also encouraged
Hungarian postmasters and notaries to fill the "official" positions in
the larger villages, and the catholic church did the same with the
priests. My grandfather Koloman Ko"nigshofer received his first
permanent teacher post in Rauchwart (in about 1913 or 14)
because the Hungarians wanted to retire the teacher Karl Beidl for
his lack of command of the Hungarian language, while my
grandfather, educated in Cakovec, spoke it better than German.
Ironically, a few years later he ended up in Austria and had to teach
in German. And during the Third Reich, he was moved to Upper
Styria, because the Nazis did not want bi-lingual teachers along the
borders.

My great-grandfather Adolf Ko"nigshofer wrote an article about the
reasons for emigration (he lists mostly economic or adventurous
ones), and I copied another article on the same subject. (Ed. Note-
see third article in this edition).

NEW MEMBER KEIRON RADO WRITES FROM DOWN UNDER
Libraries and Archives
I see the Austrian National Library is already online. They are
currently working on an English language (index) version. Similarly,
there is an excellent bi-lingual (index) Hungarian electronic library.
As an observation, at this infant stage of Internet development and
growing public awareness, the expansion of internet Libraries so
far is really quite remarkable given human nature. Eventually I
expect we'll see identical access to records available online as is
currently accessable in the libraries themselves, however (and
unfortunately for us) I am of the opinion this will take many years
yet (> 10), especially for the less contemporary 'stack' or archived
material to be made available.

I look forward to a day when we all have100 MBPS bandwidth
access with little or no limiting bottleneck elsewhere, & the
capability of using it in proportions other than as directed by a TEL
company as is proposed with the initial 10MBPS ethernet cable
modem system. (ie: 64k uplink and all the rest for downloading the
equivilent of what will be subtle telemarketing.)

LDS in Australia
For the information of BB members generally, if it is not already
known, the LDS records are available within Australia. Contacting
the Church of Latter Day Saints last week revealed each Australian
Capital city has several LDS Family Research Centres accessable to
the general public. Of couse, records to the extent held in Salt Lake
City are not immediately accessable. Records not available locally
are available from Sydney which usually takes a week, and those
unavailable within Australia as yet are sourced from Salt Lake City,
which unfortunately takes about 3 months. Nevertheless, the LDS
records are available from Australia.

Burgenland Bunch As An Aid To Research
I have had considerable success so far. I have established the
following since joining the BB.
1. That my father's birthplace, the village of Rohonc still exists, and
it's German name (Rechnitz).
2. That Rohonc changed name to Rechnitz in (approx) 1921 as a
consequence of Trianon and the newly formed Burgenland being
ceded to Austria.
3. That my grandmother's (previously unknown) maiden name was
Heissenberger. (Yet to be confirmed in writing, but probability
100%)
4. That she and her family most probably lived in Rechnitz or came
from the immediate surrounding farming region.
5. That she and my grandfather lived in Rechnitz from 1911
trhough 1919 after which they moved back with their young family
to Steinamanger (Szombathely) to remain within the borders of the
new Republic of Hungary.
6. Some other interesting information surrounding my
grandparents.
7. That many Heissenberger live in Rechnitz today. Leading to the
reasonable deduction that of the many Heissenberger still living in
Rechnitz today, some are almost certain to be direct descendents
(grandchildren) of my grandmother's siblings. (I'm unsure what
relationship term this makes them to me) -ed. note -mostly 2nd
cousins.

A check of the current (online) Austrian Telephone book revealed
many Heissenberger still living in Rechnitz today. Confirmed for me
by a local Rechnitzer <smile> (born Guessing, previously resident
Rechnitz, currently resident Wien, parents now reside in Rechnitz)
who I have befriended.

NORTHAMPTON, PA - STEGERSBACH, BURGENLAND (courtesy
Anna Kresh)
(Ed. note: immigrants clustered in various regions. After the first
intrepid emigrant found a congenial place to settle, the word went
out! Soon relatives and friends joined. Naturally many were from
the same village or region. One such combination is the subject of
this article. Newspaper syntax and content has been modified)

This article is The Morning Call Newspaper Company, Date:
Wednesday, February 28, 1990 Page: B03 , Edition: FOURTH ,
Section: BETHLEHEM
SISTER-CITY RELATIONSHIP ROCK SOLID
Northampton has a long-distance relationship with its sister city,
Stegersbach, Austria. But the communities have found ways to be
closer together. There is no ongoing program, but there are special
events that both towns observe. Last summer, for example,
Stegersbach celebrated its 700th anniversary. Observances were
held in Stegersbach and Northampton, including flag-raising
ceremonies on the same day. Now, Northampton officials are
planning a July dedication of a monument made of Pennsylvania
black granite and inscribed with the official seals of the
communities and noting their sister-city relationship. The
monument will be on a plot between trees south of the replica of
the Wilson Block House on Laubach Avenue near 15th Street. The
Block House, built in the mid 1700s, is the oldest building in the
borough and is on the borough seal. Borough council approved
plans for the monument and a surrounding mini-park in September.
Borough Manager Gene Zarayko recently introduced a rough draft
of the proposed monument and announced the July 15 dedication.
The monument will be 32 inches high and 4 feet wide. The finishing
work will being done by Northampton Memorial Co. Zarayko said
long-term plans for the mini-park call for two fountains near the
monument. There is a similar park, with a monument, in
Stegersbach. That monument also features the seals of both towns.

The two boroughs became sister cities in 1974, when the late
Anthony Pany was mayor of Northampton. In 1984, Mayor Paul
Kutzler and his wife, Irene, visited Stegersbach for the celebration
of the 10th anniversary of the sister-city relationship. That
celebration was held on the Northamptonplatz, the street where the
Austrian park is located.

Another way the towns stay in touch is an annual visit by the
Burgenlaendische Gemeinschaft representatives. Each year, the
young lady selected as Miss Burgenland makes an official visit to
Stegersbach. The Gemeinschaft, sponsor of the Queen's Ball,
provides the free trip to Austria. The Gemeinschaft is a world-wide
organization dedicated to fostering and preserving Austrian
traditions. (Article includes a PHOTO by FRAN KITTEK, The
Morning Call, CAPTION: The planned site of the sister-cities
monument, along Laubach Avenue.)

SOUTH BURGENLAND PICTURES & TEXT
Franz Koller from Burgenland has a great web site with pictures and
German text. Surfing it recently I found short histories of
Jennersdorf and Poppendorf with some very nice pictures in color
as well as a few older ones. Add this URL to your file.
From: (Koller Franz Michael)
http://members.aon.at/newspage/Sdbgld.html

VISITORS FROM ELTENDORF (from Bob Unger)
(Ed. note: When last in Eltendorf, I stayed at Rudi Mirth's
"Kirchenwirt" Gasthaus. When Bob Unger visited Eltendorf, he
stayed there also. He and Rudi's son Mathias became good friends.
A visit to the US was arranged. Following is Bob's email concerning
that visit-next issue will have a sequel).
" I thought you would be interested in an update on the visit by
Matthias Mirth and his friend Christian Webber. They arrived on
schedule here in San Diego at 9 pm on 6 March via Delta Airlines,
traveling from Vienna > Atlanta > San Diego. Renate Dolmanitis
(BG) helped them in getting tickets and making flight
arrangements. They are scheduled to leave at 9 am on 26 March.
We are thrilled in having them as our guests. The first thing that
Matthias did upon arriving at our house was to call his mother and
tell her that they had arrived safely. It appears that Mrs. Mirth is
understandably a little worried about having her youngest travel so
far from home. In preparation for their visit I had explored various
options for telephoning to Austria. I found that AT&T has a special
plan which costs $3.00/month, then 35 cents for each minute of
calls to Austria. Then my wife learned of another option, one that
has no monthly fee, and only costs 29 cents/minute for a call to
Austria. For those interested in this 29 cents/minute to Austria
service, AAA World Calling, just call 1-800-347-0222 and request
info. World Calling also has cheap rates to practically any country
in the world, for example 23 cents/minute for calls to Germany, 38
cents/minute for calls to Hungary, etc.

When we stayed with the Mirths in Elderdorf, we gave them a book,
written in German, illustrating and telling about the attractions
here in San Diego. So upon arrival they had somewhat of an idea of
what they wanted to see and do locally. Yesterday they rented a car
and are off on their own. Their first stop will be Las Vegas, with a
side trip to the Grand Canyon. Then they will drive through Death
Valley on their way to San Francisco. While in the San Francisco
area they plan to see some big redwoods, Alcatraz Island, some
wineries, etc. After that they plan to return to our home in the San
Diego area, stopping in Los Angeles for the sights there. When we
heard about their dream trip, I took them to the local AAA and got
them a stack of maps covering everything they wanted to see or
visit. I also went to our local library and got them videos on
specific areas of interest. They thought the video of the helicopter
ride of the Grand Canyon area was the best. It has been a
wonderful experience for my wife and me seeing them be so excited
about seeing and experiencing the places they have only heard
about and dreamed of visiting." (Ed.-just the reverse of a trip to the
Burgenland-it would be great to have their impressions!)

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, For information
concerning the Burgenland Bunch, contact .

This thread: