BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 33 dtd 15 April 1998 (edited)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 07:18:48 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 33
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
April 15, 1998
(all rights reserved)

DID YOU KNOW THAT THEIR ARE NOW OVER 2800 BURGENLAND HITS ON THE INTERNET-HAS
ANYONE SEEN THEM ALL?
SEE OUR NEW URL LIST-SENT AS NEWSLETTER 33A!

This edition of the newsletter contains articles on House Owners of
Kleinpetersdorf, Orphan's Book, Chicago Fasching, Early Pamhagen Emigrant,
Projected Heritage Quest Web Site, Amtlicher Ausweis Translation, "Mei
Hoamat" (My Homeland).

AN EDITOR'S OPINION-SOME ETHNIC SATIRE
One of the perquisites of being an editor is the opportunity to voice
personal opinions. An opinion of mine that clamors for release is one
concerning ethnic culture. It is triggered by recent news media comments
concerning the need for ethnic appologies and changes in our educational
system.

For years my view of my Burgenland ancestors was one of good Germanic /Magyar
family people, who were hard workers and courageous survivors. Much of their
history and culture was unknown to me. As a second generation descendant,
born in the United States, I was educated in the American/English culture.
Included were a few Austrian and Hungarian writers, artists and composers,
but no Burgenland ties. As I studied foreign history, it was from an English
viewpoint. Even when I studied German, it was German north of the Austrian
border. I'm not complaining, I received a very good education. By studying
the Burgenland on my own; however, I can now appreciate my ancestors'
culture. It's fascinating, almost as pleasant to the intellect as goulasch is
to the stomach. In our era of cultural diversity and concern for minorities,
I find this very fullfilling. After all, using today's politically correct
jargon, I'm not an English/American; I'm a Burgenland/American! Continuing
this politically correct philosophy, perhaps we Burgenlnders too need a
National Center for Burgenland/American Studies and courses in Burgenland
History at our universities. An estimated 40M Burgenlnders emigrated to the
United States during 1890-1914, many others before and after (Harvard
Encyclopedia of American Ethnic Groups). There are now millions of
Burgenland/American descendants in the United States. Shouldn't the history
of their "Auswanderung" (emigration) be included in our schools' texts? Why
not their contributions to the building of America-didn't they supply the
cement and steel? How about mention of their earlier enslavement by the
Ottoman Empire during the terrible time of the Turk (16th-18th centuries).
Shouldn't today's Turkish Government appologize? What about the attrocities
committed against our people during the Reformation and Counter Reformation
or the Thirty Years War (murder, rape and pillage on all sides)? Shouldn't
there be public appologies from both church and state? (Friends, I'm
smiling-tongue in cheek, all ethnic groups have had some form of
mistreatment-some more terrible than others; if we start appologizing for
history, we'll never stop)

I suggest that it is enough that we can study, enjoy and reflect on our
ancient ethnic cultures on our own, passing them on to succeeding generations
as part of our family responsibilities. They need not, nor should they,
supplant our modern American culture or achieve prominence in our educational
systems. Neither should we resurrect ancient animosities, there are more than
enough modern ones. (Still , it would be nice to have a Center for all
Ethnic/American Studies? Who knows what old genealogical documents would
finally be translated and maybe we'd have an occasional Burgenland television
documentary-oh well, until then, there's always the Burgenland Bunch!). We
should never forget the lessons of history, but it is time for our
government to stop all this ethnic appology and educational nonsence.

KLEINPETERSDORF HOUSE OWNERS-1858 (from Albert Schuch)
I have a list showing all house owners of Kleinpetersdorf from 1858, drawn up
in the process of the "Kommassierung", or land surveying. Similar lists
should be available for all Burgenland villages. I got it from the "Bundesamt
fr Eich- und Vermessungswesen" in Vienna, also a detailed copy of the map.
>From this list (no xeroxes allowed, I had to write all the names down myself)
you can also determine the individual land ownership. One can order copies of
the maps, but without the list of owners you can't get much information out
of them. Here is the list of owners, which is also a nice overview of the
surnames at that time:

Kleinpetersdorf 1858 (Nr. Name)
WASSITS Josef, 20WESSELY Johann, 19 GOLLATS Michael, 18
HAISANY Elisabeth, 17TISSINAY Georg, 16REICHER Josef, 15
REICHER Elisabeth, 14 SCHWAB Georg, 13SCHTTER Paul, 42HRITS
Johann, 12SCHNELLER Josef, 11WASSITS Katharina, 10WESSELY
Josef, 9KRISMANITS Johann, 8 SCHNELLER Theresia, 7KRISMANITS
Johann, 6KAMPER Johann, 5 KULLOVITS Josef, 4SCHUH Josef, 3
KAMPER Michael, 2WINKOWITS Georg, 1SCHCK Johann, 40
WASSITS Johann, 39REICHER Theresia, 38 REICHER Georg, 37SCHNELLER
Michael, 36REICHER Theresia, 35 DERKOVITS Josef, 34SCHTTER
Josef, 33PAUKOVITS Maria, 32Klein Petersdorf Gemeinde, 31
KAMPER Anton, 30Klein Petersdorf Gemeinde, 29 WASSITS Stefan, 28
PINTER Johann, 27REICHER Georg, 26SCHCK Michael, 25
WILLISITS Johann, 24TECHET Josef, 23KLEPITS Michael Erben, 22
LORENZ Maria, 41HORVART Johann (end of list).

WAISENBUCH (Orphan's Book)
Ed. note: In a previous newsletter we had some comments re orphan children
adopted by Burgenland families. Frank Teklits and I did some work for Albert
Schuch using LDS microfilm. In tracing some of his family we came upon the
following (comments are from Albert):
"Re: Eva Gollacz born 21 Feb 1847. The "Waisenbuch" (orphan's book) for
Kleinpetersdorf 1846-56, which is kept in the Landesarchiv in Eisenstadt,
shows orphans Juliana and ANNA GALLATZ (GOLLATZ), who have inherited about 97
florins from their deceased mother Eva in 1847. (The money came from her
clothing, which apparently had been sold after her death.) Their father Franz
withdrew the interest (about 4 florins) every year. The orphan girls are
always called Juliana and Anna, hence I conclude that Eva is a mistake of the
"Zweitschrift".

A little more on the Waisenbcher: These books are still in existence for
some villages. The money of orphans was entrusted to the "Waisenvater"
(orphan's father), who kind of acted in their interests (guardian or trustee)
until they reached a certain age or married.

CHICAGO FASCHING & GERMANFEST
Roving ambassador Tom Glatz continues to spread the Burgenland Bunch word in
Chicago. He sends the following: "I saw Walter Pomper & many others last
night. I gave Pomper all of the newsletters to read. He was quite impressed.
Perhaps he will mention the BB in one of his newsletters. (Ed.-he did) Many
of the others liked the BB newletters.You probably would have enjoyed the
Jolly Burgenlaender Fasching Dance.The "sweets table" - some of what they had
last evening was home baked: I had Mohn (Poppy Seed) Kuchen & Grundbirne
Strudl (this is dialect for apple strudel-maybe you know this). The G
(K)rapfen were really just bakery made Bismarks in disguise. They (had) the
Rosegger Steirer Club's Schuplattler group as entertainment.

I am sending a few things to you via regular mail. One interesting item is
the Milwaukee Austrian newsletter (Club Oesterreich, Austrian American
Society, Greater Milwaukee Area). I hope to have some of our (BB) newsletters
on the table for handouts at Germanfest. Germanfest in Milwaukee (July,
1997-July, 1998?) is the largest festival of its kind in North America. They
have a whole tent devoted to genealogy: Donau Schwaben, Schliesien, Sudeten,
Hessen, Bayerisch, etc.. If I only had the time, I am sure I could convince
Frank Schmitz (president), to create a real Austrian genealogical table like
the rest. Austria & Burgenland are little represented.

EARLY PAMHAGEN EMIGRANT (from Albert Schuch)
Johann RIESZNER (1856-1939), Pamhagen - Minneapolis - San Francisco
Johann Riener, son of Johann Riener and Justina ne Muth, was born on 7
April 1856 in the city of Gyr (Raab), Hungary. His family moved to Pamhagen
# 259 (now (1975) Rosengasse 3), were J.R. the elder worked as a locksmith.
J.R. the younger, after having served in the army in Sopron and Bosnia,
married Anna Bleich on 24 Oct 1879, he was already a "serarius magister"
(master locksmith) at that time. Daughters Magdalena (1879) and Maria (1881)
were born, and in May 1882 they all (four) emigrated to America. In Dec 1882
J.R.s brother Karl died in Pamhagen, aged 24. The Riener family settled in
Minneapolis, were Johann worked as a mechanic for the "International
Harvester-Works" until 1890, later on (until 1908) for the "Twin Cities Rapid
Transit Company". Throughout these years he wrote many poems, which were
published in the newspaper "Deutsch-Ungarischer Bote" in Minneapolis. Around
the turn of the century some of his poems are said to have been published in
a book called "Schweiperlen", and it also said that he wrote English poems
too. In 1908 the family moved to San Francisco, in 1914 to nearby Oakland.
In 1924 Anna Riener died and Johann moved to his daughter Harriet Mason. He
died on 31 Oct 1939 and was buried in Hayward, CA. One of his sons went to
Hollywood and worked for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. His obituary in the "Oakland
Tribune" (1962) says that Karl "Chuck"
Riener was friends with celebrities like Charly Chaplin, Clark Gable and
Spencer Tracy. He wrote a book for children ("Little Inch High People"), song
lyrics ("Goodbye Broadway - Hello France", "Happy days are here again",
"California, the garden of the earth") and film scripts ("Manhattan - Merry
Go Round"). On a trip to Vienna and Budapest (with his son Dean) he visited
Pamhagen. (source: Johann Pennauer: Johann Riener - ein Beitrag aus Pamhagen
zum "Jahr der Auslandsburgenlnder". In: Burgenlndische Heimatbltter 1975,
p. 145-162).

HERITAGE QUEST WEBSITE (courtesy Mary Montoya)
Ed. note: James A. Derheim, President, European Focus (and photographer of
European villages mentioned in a previous newsletter) is developing a section
of the Heritage Quest website called: "Ancestral Towns on the Web". Mary
Montoya provided him with data re Halbturn. She received this reply:

"I've finished the draft copy for the Heritage Quest website. I'll be
submitting Halbturn along with 51 other town and village "stories" in stages
starting with the first batch on Monday, Feb 23. The submission dealing with
your town will be submitted later, about March 5. The plan is to have H.Q.
put up a new town each week, going in no particular order, but sort of going
with a town in Germany, followed by a town in Italy, then Scandinavia, then
France, Poland, etc. A library will be built up, so that people can call up a
menu showing what towns are in the archives.

We're going to be linking this site with many others, including "Cyndi's List
of Genealogical Sites on the Internet," which is possibly the most widely
used source for genealogists around the world. Cyndi Howells is a frequent
Heritage Quest contributor with her own column. I'm proud that you're a part
of this brand new venture....Who knows? Maybe this will help add to your own
storehouse of knowledge and information. At the very least, it's a way for
you to be able to share your family information with far-flung members of
your own family tree. When possible, I plan to alert my clients when their
page is about to be put onto the web. This won't always be possible, as you
know how much time I spend in Europe. Perhaps the best thing to do would be
to add http://www.heritagequest.com to your bookmarks and visit often. This
new addition to the Heritage Quest website will premier about April 15. "
Mary's projected web page (draft of example) follows:
Subj: Halbturn, Austria. Working title of this section of the Heritage Quest
website: "Ancestral Towns on the Web" Text for the page follows:
Welcome to Halbturn, Austria. This town has special significance to
genealogist Mary Montoya, who visited the town during a private tour in the
summer of 1996.
ABOUT HALBTURN, AUSTRIA
This small town lies about 40 kilometers east of Vienna. The town has always
had its fortunes tied to the making of wine, and hundreds of acres of apricot
groves and vineyards surround the town on all sides. Located in lush,
rolling, fertile land, Halbturn is also known for the recently restored
residential castle dating back to the year 1714 that was once owned by the
Hapsburg ruling family and used as a hunting lodge. The town features a
statue dating back to the year 1747, featuring St. Floriani and a Roman
legionnaire. The Catholic Church of St. Joseph dates back to the early 1700s
and is decorated inside in the "baroque" style. The castle was ransacked by
Soviet troops in the Second World War. It now has a new lease on life as a
cultural center and museum.

SURNAMES THAT HAVE BEEN RESEARCHED -Thury and Gross. Some of Mary's relatives
still live in Halburn.

SAILING TO A NEW LIFE IN AMERICA-Ancestors left for America in 1893, leaving
behind their occupations as farmers and vineyard workers for a new life in
Parkston, South Dakota.

A PERSONAL DISCOVERY-Halbturn was part of Hungary in 1893. Some people spoke
Hungarian and some spoke German. This area was the scene of many wars and
population shifts.

MAKE THE CONNECTION-To reach Mary Montoya, e-mail her at
Derheim also has a large collection of pictures he has taken that he will
make available (for a fee) to others. He can be reached at
www.eurofocus.com. He is now also offering translation services through his
German speaking secretary. He moved from Sioux Falls to Bountiful, UT. about
a year ago. He has a toll-free number 1 - 800-401-7802.

AMTLICHER AUSWEIS (from Anna Kresh, GJB & Albert Schuch)
(Ed. note: like many of us Anna Kresh has some family documents in need of
translation. While waiting for your editor to help she uses Alta Vista and
almost completes her translation. She says:)
"This is the travel paper for my brother from Kr. T. to Germany on his way to
Hamburg and return to othe US. Re: the line beginning with "zustaendig nach"
and the one following it - I can't find any good translation for "zustaendig
nach" and "Staatsangeh" (angehen?) that makes any sense. The "Oesterr:" and
"Staatsangeh." might both be a 2-line response for "zustaendig nach". What
is "Passau"?
(ORIGINAL) Polizeidirektion in Wien
(Stamp) BUNDESMINISTERIUM FR INNERES UND UNTERRICHT
P. U. 109770 Gesehen Wien 14 Nov 1921
Amtlicher Ausweis
ausgestellt gem Punkt 3 der Ausfhrungsvorschriften zur Paordnung fr das
Deutsche Reich vom 24. Juni 1916 fr Ignatz Tanczos geboren am im August 1912
zu Northampton
politischer Bezirk___________________ Land _____________________
zustndig nach sterr: politischer Bezirk ______________
Land Staatsamgeh Wohnung Kroat Tschantendorf
zur Reise nach Deutschland und zurck.
Die vorgenannte Person reist mit Frau Maria Tanczos welche durch den
Reisepa der Polizeidirektion Wien vom 4. November 1921.
Nr. 10977 legitimiert ist.
Wien, am 4. November 1921
(stamp)POLIZEIDIREKTION (stamp) Oest. Grenzpolizei Austritt
IN WIEN Passau(?) 18 NOV 1921
Bay. Grenzpolizei
Eintritt
(TRANSLATION) Police Headquarters in Vienna
(Stamp) FEDERAL MINISTRY FOR INTERNAL (AFFAIRS?) AND EDUCATION
P. U. 109770 Seen at Vienna 14 November 1921
official document of identification issued in accordance with point 3 of
implementing provisions for pass order for the German Reich from 24 June 1916
-for Ignatz Tanczos
born on in August 1912 at Northampton
political district ______________ country ________________
zustndig nach(? responsibility for) Austr: political district
______________
country Staatsangeh (?) Residence Kroat Tschantschendorf -to travel to
Germany and back.
The aforementioned person travels with Mrs. Maria Tanczos which by the
passport of police headquarters Vienna from 4 November 1921.
No. 10977 is authorized. Vienna, on 4 November 1921
(Stamp) POLICE HEADQUARTERS IN VIENNA
(Stamp) Austrian Border Police - Exit Passau(?) 18 November 1921
Bavarian Border Police - Entrance

Anna also sends: ....(here is) another document my brother carried when he
traveled from Kr. T. to the US in 1921 at age 9. The Tarif number is 9 with
what looks like a combined x and c.
Nr. 9417 AUSWEIS (ORIGINAL)-fr das Kind Ignatz Tanczos -geboren am im
August 1912. -wohnhaft im (?) zum zeit im Wien?
Das Kind reist nach Amerika - in Begleitung der Frau Marie Tanczos
legitimiert durch Pa Nr. 109770-ausgestellt von ? Fed. ? am 4.11.21. im Wien

und Sichtvermerk Nr. J? 1350-Wien, den 16 November 1921
Gebhr nach Tarif 9x(?). K100.-Deutsche Pastelle
(Stamp) Deutsche Pastelle in Wien-(stamp) Oest. Grenzpolizei
Austritt-Passau(?) -18 NOV 1921-Bay. Grenzpolizei Eintritt
No. 9417 DOCUMENT OF IDENTIFICATION (TRANSLATION)
for the child Ignatz Tanczos -born on in August 1912. -resident in (?) for a
time in Vienna (?)
The child is traveling to America -in the company of Mrs. Marie Tanczos
-authorized by Pass No. 109770 -issued of ? Fed.? to 4.11.21. in Vienna -and
visa No. J? 1350 -Vienna, this 16 November 1921-fee after tariff 9x(?).
K100. -German Passport Office
(Stamp) German Passport Office in Vienna -(stamp) Austrian Border Police -
Exit-Passau(?) 18 November 1921 -Bavarian Border Police - Entrance

ANSWERS TO ABOVE QUESTIONS: (GJB & Albert)
Passau is Passau, Germany. The first city north of the Austrian German border
on the Danube. Was a border train stop with customs service. Maybe Albert can
tell us what the other words are. I'm forwarding your translation for his
comment.Gerry

Gerry, you are correct on Passau. The other words: "zustaendig nach" is old
bureaucratic German, today a similar document would include instead
"Heimatgemeinde" or "Hauptwohnsitz" (meaning were a person is regularly
living). I'd translate just as "living in" or "resident in". "Oesterr:" and
"Staatsangeh." are abbreviations for "sterreichische Staatsangehrigkeit"
(or "sterreichischer Staatsangehriger"), meaning that the person is an
Austrian citizen.

Re: Nr. 9417 AUSWEIS:
wohnhaft im (?) zum zeit im Wien?- more likely: wohnhaft in zur Zeit in
Wien
ausgestellt von ? Fed. ? am 4.11.21. im Wien - maybe: ... Beh. (=
"Behrde")
what looks like a combined x and c": - this letter is no longer used, it
means "etc."

HAMBURG PASSENGER LISTS
A reader of our newsletters offers the following information .
"From: (Robert Heiling) To: . I just read
the newsletter (#30) and can give you some tips. >> Grandfather left Hamburg
Germany on 4 February 1906 and arrived in the Port of New York on the ship
Pennsylvania on 2 March 1906<<

You already know what you need to know. The passenger lists for Hamburg are
available at your LDS-FHC. Check the website:
http://www.genealogy.com/gene/www/emig/ham_pass.html for the correct film to
order. Since he left on 4 Feb 1906 I would get the film# 0472984 Bd.
174-175 1906 Jan - 1906 Feb which is the complete list of passengers (as
opposed to an index). Look for the Pennsylvania and he should be there. If
grandma isn't with him then you could try some later indexes to look for her.
Incidentally - my experience has been that the Hamburg departure records give
a lot more information than the NYC arrivals. Hope this helps and Good luck

MORE ON HIANZISCH -"Mei Hoamat" (My Homeland); (from Albert Schuch)
I can speak "hianzisch" (this is the way it is mostly spelled today, the
first known spelling was"hienzisch", later "heanzisch" became more popular,
e.g. Josef Reichl used the "ea"-spelling), although only to a certain extent.
I have been away from hone too long. My parents still speak it. The older a
person and the less time he or she has spent outside the homeland, the more
authentic the dialect. One can say that the original Hianzisch area was the
western part of both the Eisenburg and denburg Komitats (the German parts of
that area, respectively). The Germans from the Komitat Wieselburg are known
as the "Heidebauern" (other spellings: Haidebauern, Haidbauern, Hadbauern),
they usually speak a very different dialect. Hianzisch is viewed as a
(Southern) Bavarian dialect. (Ed. Note; it can't be better exemplified than
in the following poem)

Gssing born poet Josef Reichl's "Mei Hoamat" (My Homeland)-free English
translation provided by Albert Schuch
> We sull i di nit hobn, (How should I not have thee,)
> We sull i di nit mgn, (How should I not love thee,)
> We sull i nit ins Herz grobn (How should I not dig into my heart)
> Di, dass da nix kao gschehgn. (Thee, so that nothing can harm thee)

> Af olle eck und Endn (Behind each and every corner)
> Laurn schlechte Leut af di, (Villains are waiting for thee,)
> Wer sull si va dir wendn, (How should turn away from thee,)
> Der di so liab wia i. (One who loves thee so much as me.)

> Dir biat mei gaonze Kroft i, (To thee I offer my whole strength,)
> Dir gi i Herz und Haond, (To thee I give my heart and hand,)
> Mei Hoamat, du mei schne, (My homeland, you my beautiful,)
> Mei teures Heanznlaond. (My precious Heanzenland.)

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, For information
concerning the Burgenland Bunch, contact .

This thread: