BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 34 dtd 30 April 1998 (edited)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 07:19:32 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 34
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
April 30, 1998
(all rights reserved)

This edition of the newsletter contains articles on Museum of Remembrances-an
Invitation to Join, Kitchen Food, Wends & Slovenes, Naturalization Question,
Northampton, PA Census, Schwabian Migration to the Styrian-Hungarian Border,
and Early Emigrants From Sopron Megye.

Museum of Remembrances-an Invitation to Join Photo-stories of Burgenland
(a project by members Eva Brunner-Szabo & Gert Tschoegl)

Millions of photographs can be found at flea-markets, in garrets and
shoe-boxes. A photographic universe of private histories and biographies. The
pictures give evidence of a time which has passed by. It seems to be an act
of a collective enterprise - a complete work and total ethnographic inquiry.

With the enormous number of pictures, photographs lose their remembrances.
The narratives to the pictures, passed from generation to generation, are
sinking into oblivion. Innumerable pictures lose their captions - they dont
tell us where, when and from whom they are. But nevertheless these old
anonymous photographs trigger our memory about our own experiences or those
of our parents and grandparents. They are remembrances of happy and sad
events, funny and serious.

The project Museum of Remembrances shows old photographs and collects the
memories of their spectators. The spectators' remembrances are sources for
historians to determine the anonymous photographs. Collecting these
narratives in context with the pictures, the silent world of anonymous
photographs gets back a history narrated by the collective.

But this project can also be seen in the tradition of the "Spurensicherung"
(e.g. Christian Boltanski). It means a concept of art, which deals with
fragments and traces of the history. The purpose of the "Spurensicherung"
(securing traces) is to reconstruct the memories of historical events.

"Museum of Remembrances searches also for memories of families from
Burgenland who emigrated to the USA, Canada, Australia or South America.
These emigrants are an important part of our history. We invite special all
people of Burgenland and their descendants who live abroad to participate in
this project.

How can you participate?
In the March/April and May/June 1998 issues of " the Burgenlaendische
Gemeinschaft newsletter and at our homepage:
http://www.user.xpoint.at/g.tschoegl/museum/index.htm
we publish 24 photographs. What do you remember when you see these
photographs? Tell us your story. Write us your memories in German or English
in few words or in a short story. Together with the photographs we will show
selected memories in 5 exhibitions in galleries in Burgenland and also in the
Internet (starting in October of 1998). We are looking forward to all
replies. All memories received will be published.

The photographs can be seen at:
http://www.user.xpoint.at/g.tschoegl/museum/index.htm (starting April 30,
1998)
Mail your memories to
Museum of Remembrances, Postfach 280, A-7400 Oberwart, Austria
(or use the form in our homepage.)

Closing date is 31-8-1998. Dont forget to write the referring numbers of the
photos for which you send us your remembrances and remarks. As a thank for
responding, we will enter your name in a drawing to win 10 books about
Burgenland. For the drawing we need your name, address and age. If you dont
want your name and address mentioned in the exhibition, please let us know.

Museum of Remembrances, Postfach 280, A-7400 Oberwart, Austria
http://www.user.xpoint.at/g.tschoegl/museum/index.htm
email:

this project is supported by: Bundeskuratorin fuer Kunst Lioba Reddeker
(Federal Curator of Art) in cooperation with: Die Burgenland-Woche "BF"
(Weekly Newspaper); further support: Burgenlaendische Volkshochschulen,
Burgenlaendische Gemeinschaft, Amt der Burgenlaendischen Landesregierung -
Abteilung Kultur und Wissenschaft.

KITCHEN FOOD (your editor)
Some time ago, pre-retirement, in the never never land of the corporate east
coast, the wife and I belonged to a prestigious Austrian-American Society.
Their functions were very sophisticated to say the least and I believe most
members were of Viennese extraction and included a Baron or two. Like
Burgenlnders however, they loved to eat and their Jausen, picnics, dinner
parties and their annual Viennese Ball were very memorable. I once asked
another member if they ever made things like cabbage strudel, potato
biscuits (pogatchel) or cabbage noodles (kraut nockerln). The reply was, "oh
yes, but that's kitchen food!" I never did find out if by that remark they
meant food to be eaten in the kitchen, never served to guests or something
the Baron's servants made for themselves.

When I remember my immigrant grandparents' ethnic meals, I always think of
this so called kitchen food. My favorite and often repeated remark at table
when savoring something like cabbage strudel or a bowl of goulasch soup is
"makes the belly feel good" (gives one a warm glow like a glass of schnapps).
One favorite is Lentel soup. Anna Kresh sends me the following via the Erich
Kumbusch kitchen:

"Here is the recipe. I made a double batch because that matched the package
of lentils we got, and we had it for several days. It's a strange color, but
is truly wonderful. Reminds me of Rudy's black bean soup, which is
outstanding but looks like you rinsed out your crankcase. ;-) I've
'translated' the recipe somewhat.
---------
Lentil Soup (from the Vienese kitchen of BB members Erich and Margit Kumbusch)

250 grams lentils (1/2 lb.), 1 bacon rind, 80 grams smoked bacon (1/8
lb.), 1 bouillon cube, dissolved in 1.25 liters water (5 1/4 cup), salt,
caraway, marjoram (to taste), 1 garlic clove, minced,
2 tbls oil (tablespoons?), 2 tbls flour, 1 glass (250 ccm) dry white wine
1. Soak lentils in water overnight.
2. Boil in 1.25 liters water the lentils, bacon rind, 1/3 of the caraway,
and bouillon cube until the lentils are very soft. Set broth aside.
3. Cut the smoked bacon in small cubes and saute with the minced garlic in
oil in a hot pan. Add the flour, caraway and marjoram and saute til bright
brown (einbrenn).
4. Add to broth and cook gently 10 minutes. Salt to taste.
5.. Add wine to taste-
and the original Croatian Burgenlaender soup is finished ! Guten Appetit!
(ED. I'd be happy to feature any other recipes for "kitchen food"!). I'm also
planning a "Great Goulasch Cook-off" one of these days, so dust off your
recipes. Anything goes but you must use paprika.

WENDS, "WINDISH" & SLOVENES (sugested by Tom Glatz)
In an earlier newsletter we had a question concerning another south
Burgenland-western Hungarian minority group called Wends. I believe I
identified them as a a tribe of the Slovenes. Member Tom Glatz sends me an
article written by one Stephen Antalich writing in the publication
"slovenija" (we don't have the issue number or date-but it was post 1992)
which may further clarify the issue. Paraphrasing and condensing Mr.
Antalich's three page article:

"In ....Illinois they are called "Slovene".....and in other towns in America
they are called "Slovene". But in Bethlehem, PA they ....(are called)
Windish. Why do these people who are truly Slovene persist in calling
themselves Windish?

.....when and why did the Hungarian government first call the Slavs in the
area of Vas and Zala Megye who spoke a dialect similar to the Austrian Slavs,
the present-day Slovenes, by the name "Wend? The Hungarian word prior to that
time was 'Tot', a term in use dating back to 1100 A. D., as in the name
'Rabatotfalu' (the village of the Slavs by the Raba River)....The German
equivalent (of Tot) was 'Wend'. The same village of Rabatotfalu was called
'Windischdorf' (village of the Wends) by German-speaking people, while today
road signs in the area offer the name 'Slovenska Ves' along with Rabatotfalu.
....according to Hungarian archives, the first actual appearance of the word
'Wend' in reference to the Slavic people of this region in any printed form
was in 1627. Most slavic peoples within Hungarian borders at that time were
disignated as 'Tot'....the origin of 'Wend' as best I understand is that
during the Counter Reformation, the only place where Evangelicals
(Lurtherans) were allowed....was in the the area of Vas and Zala Megye....to
differentiate these 'Tot' from other 'Tots' (Slavs)...(the German word 'Wend'
was added to 'Tot' giving 'Vendustot'. Historians today speak of the peoples
living in this area prior to the arrival of the Magyars as 'Wends'. The
problem I have with this is how can a word first used in 1627 be used to
describe people living in the region over 600 years earlier?
The term 'Wend' then appears to have been dormant for approximately 200
years.....in the year 1828, Count Sigmond Szogyenyi (writes)....a lengthy
dissertation on the habits and customs of (a minority) called the 'Vendustot'
of the Vas Magye region." (end of paraphrase)

(Ed. Note-at this point, the article goes on to discuss early Slovene
Nationalist movement and Magyarization of same, during which the word
"Slav"-Slovene was changed to Wend and then to Magyar. Followimg WWI, a
Hungarian treatise submitted to the Triple Entente implied that Wends, the
new term for those Slovenes in Hungary were not (no longer) Slavs and their
region should remain in Hungary as opposed to becoming part of the new
Yugoslavia. Magyarization extended even to American immigrant communities
with some parish names being changed from Slovene to "Windish" during the
period immediately following WWI and including some parishes formed after
WWI. However; following the Treaty of Trianon, this Magyarization activity
seemed to abate and by 1991, a document of the Hungarian government in 1991
speaks of 13,000 Slovenes as being an ethnic minority in Hungary, but is
silent re Wends.

Those Wends who emigrated however (particularly to Bethlehem, PA) , never
having heard of their ethnicity as Slovenes, still considered themselves
Wends and the Prekmurje/Slovene dialect they spoke was further called
Windisch. So, it would appear from this, that the Wends or Windisch are truly
Slovenes and that the words should only be used to further identify those
Slovenes who remained Evangelical Lutherans at the time of the Reformation or
emigrated from Hungary during the time Slovene Nationalism was
suppressed(1850-1918?) or the small group of Slovene-speaking Hungarians
still living along today's Slovenian border with Hungary.

As Stephen Antalich states "it is my opinion that the terms 'Wend', 'Vendus',
and 'Vendustot' have always appeared as a political expedient rather than as
an historical reality." Mr. Antalich also states that it is erroneous to
connect Prekmurje Slovenes to the Wends or Northern Slavs in the Saxony area
of Germany. He states these people are Lusatian Sorbs with a different
language.

NATURALIZATION RECORDS-MINNESOTA
Member Barbara Raabe has a problem with naturalization records. She writes:
I ordered the Minnesota Naturalization Records for Minnesota with correct
county and year and was disappointed to find that they did not contain my
ancestor in them. In fact, they contained very few listings. The tape I
ordered was #1737820 Minn. No records St. Paul (Ramsey Co.) 1875-1906. Has
anyone else been successful in finding their ancestor in these records and
if so how? Thank you.

NORTHAMPTON, PA CENSUS & FAMILY RESIDENCES (from Anna Kresh)
Following is some email between Edward Ifkovits of South Carolina and me. Ed
is a cousin of BB member Ed Ifkovits (Ifkyel) of Connecticut and a former
classmate of mine in the 1949 class at Northampton H.S. The three of us have
been corresponding a lot recently on our commonfamily ties. I thought you
might like to read Ed's recollection of his g-parents' stories.

The homes we were discussing were dual homes and very crowded. I took
external photos during my last visit home and the houses are in excellent
condition. They look like 3-bedroom homes, but I am not sure. The main
families represented were many spelling variations of: KEGLOVITS, IFKOVITS,
TANCZOS, MALITS, WEBER, MARAKOVITS, CSENCSITS, MILKOVITS, DRAGOVITS,
JANDRISOVITS, KLUCSERITS, and more. Some statistics:
1910 - 1394 Newport Ave. - 12 residents - 1392 Newport Ave. - 11
residents
- 1390 Newport Ave. - 18 residents- 1336 DeLong's Court - 16
residents
1920 - 1394 Newport Ave. - 9 residents - 1392 Newport Ave. - 19
residents
- 1350 Vienna St. - 13 residents

> From: (EDWARD IFKOVITS)
Anna, you may forward all or part. This is information I remember hearing
from my Grandparents as a child. I received the 1910 and 1920 census records
yesterday. They were quite fascinating. The 1910 census represented 3
households and the 1920 census 4 -- a lot of people in each household. I'm
still confused by the 2 Joseph Ifkovits, age 20 and 22. in 1910. I never
heard of 2 Joseph's of that age.

I suspect these households were part of the row homes behind Our Lady of
Hungary Church on Newport Avenue. My father was born in one of them. As I
remember, my grandmother spoke of having boarders in the house. They actually
shared beds. Some would get off work and get into the beds that others
vacated to go to work. My grandfather worked for 10 cents an hour at the
Atlas Cement Mill, 12 hours a day 7 days a week. To get a day off, he worked
24 hours on Sunday every other week, allowing a Sunday off in the alternate
week. I was also fascinated with the phonetic spellings of the
Austrian/German language. Only those who know the Austrian dialect can
appreciate it.

I can't remember if I gave you the name of Frank Teklits (BB charter member)
regarding his genealogy efforts. Frank is a close friend of mine. We grew up
together in Northampton. He now lives outside of Philadelphia. His mother
immigated from Moschendorf and his father from across the border in Hungary.

EARLY MIGRATION TO STYRIAN-BURGENLAND (HUNGARIAN) BORDER
>From article by Fritz POSCH: "Schwabenzge in die Steiermark", in:
"Zeitschrift des historischen Vereins fr Steiermark", 1953, p. 98-112 (from
Albert Schuch)

In 1706 Count Franz Karl KOTTULINSKY married Baroness Maria Antonia ROTTAL
and thus acquired the Styrian domains Neudau (just west of Stegersbach,
Burgenland) and Unter Mayerhofen, both situated at the Hungarian border. Most
villages of these two domains were looted and torched by the "Kuruzzen" in
1704, 1707 and 1708. The loss of population was not that heavy, for most
people were able to hide in the woods.

Since this was the time of the first large-scale German colonization of
Hungary (usually areas to the east and south-east of Burgenland), Count
Kottulinsky made - probably by chance - contact with a group of emigrants
mostly "Schwaben" (Swabians) from the Bodensee-area in early Sep 1712. He met
them in Vienna on their way to Hungary. (They were traveling on the Danube.)

It can be assumed that they had already signed contracts with a domain owner
in Hungary. Nonetheless Count K. managed to persuade 12 families (63 persons)
to settle in his Styrian domains instead. On foot they marched from Vienna
(11th Sep) to Neudau (16th Sep 1712).

They all came from the Bodensee-area, and they carried documents and
passports showing that they were heading for Hungary. These documents were
made out between 13 Jul and 12 Aug. Martin SCHERER from St. Peter in the
Schwarzwald described his journey: He had marched 20 miles to the city of
ULM, where they had boarded the ships that carried them 180 miles down the
river Danube, for which they were charged 5 Gulden and 4 Kreuzer per person.

Most of these people soon left Naudau for Hungary, but some did stay,
including the Martin SCHERER mentioned above. He traveled to his home village
on the Bodensee in Dec 1712 and successfully persuaded others to come to
Neudau too. By the end of April 1713 a group of emigrants left for Neudau,
which they reached on 22 May.

In June 1713 Martin Scherer left for this homeland for the second time. He
left the Schwarzwald with new emigrants. They traveled via PASSAU (9 Aug),
GMUNDEN (14 Aug), BAD ISCHL (15 Aug), AUSSEE (16 Aug), ROTTENMANN (20 Aug),
LEOBEN (22 Aug), WEIZBERG (26 Aug). On Aug 29 the 10 families (59 persons)
arrived in NEUDAU.

The emigrants are described as decent and honest people who left their homes
because of high taxes and inflation (caused by war), also because of
overpopulation. In 1713 at least 24 families arrived in Neudau. But they did
not find the "promised land" and so by the spring of 1714 some of them had
already left again. Finally, only 12 families stayed. The settlers remained
in touch with their homeland (visits, letters).

In 1717 a group of the "Schwaben" left, all the remaining did so overnight in
1723. It is supposed that they went to Hungary, were they were expecting
better conditions.

A settlement of some of these "Schwaben" in southern Burgenland must be
considered possible for geographical reasons (though I think it is more
likely they went further to the (south) east). I add all the family names
mentioned. Details (age, origin) can be provided from the article:
Nagel, Gerer, Helbok, Schoblach, Grabher, Sandholzer, Rusch, Lorinser, Erner,
Krotz, Brechter, Fallenthor, Messmer, Mercklin, Reichart, Stiering, Schwarz,
Scherer, Heutz, Leibinger, Paumann, Lutzenberger, Fuchs; Dilger (Dillinger),
Hug, Pfaff, Hbding, Andres, Holtzmann, Scherzinger, Saumb, Teusch, Rohrer,
Werthmller, Lkhert, Kuenle, Waldvogel, Lffler, Dolt, Pfndler, Schwerer;
Drescher, Riether, Fehrnbach, Relly (Rely, Reily), Schuller,Werthmller,
Scherzinger, Andres.

EMIGRANTS FROM SOPRON MEGYE (from Albert Schuch)
I have been planning to send this translated extract for some time. It shows
that material on emigrants can be found in the Sopron Archives.
Emigration period 1851-55: Some time ago, Hans PAUL, retired teacher and well
known Burgenland historian, has found material on early emigrants in the
Gyr-Sopron Archives (Gyr-Sopronmegyei levltar) in Sopron:

On 9 Aug 1850 Franz PAYER of Balf (Wolfs, near Sopron), Hungary, 26 y old son
of the Lutheran pastor, wrote to the k.k. Bezirkskommissariat in Sopron
(denburg) for permission to emigrate to America, where his brother already
owned a farm with 160 acres land. The k.k. (kaiserlich-knigliches)
Bezirkskommissariat gave the permission, because:
- Franz P. has already served in the army- his home village Wolfs has no
objections- his father has no objections, on the contrary, will provide
financial support
- he has two younger brothers, so in case the army would need soldiers in the
future, one of them could replace him.
Based on this information the k.k. Distriktsregierung (district government)
in Sopron gave permission to emigrate and provided Franz P. with an
emigration passport.

>From 1851 onwards (until ????), those who wish to emigrate have to appear in
person at the k.k. Regierungskommissariat in Sopron, where they have to prove
their ability to cover the emigration costs by themselves. (ship passage cost
Bremen - New York in 1855: 65 silver florins per person, children younger
than 10 years pay 57 silver florins, babies younger than one year pay
nothing) Before they receive the emigration passport, they have to renounce
the Austrian citizenship as well as the right to return to Austria.

In spring 1855 Johann MARILITSCH, 43 year old bricklayer from Grohflein,
asks for and gets permission to emigrate to America. He is married and has 8
children (aged 5 - 17 years, partly from earlier marriages of the couple, so
some have the surname ROSENITSCH).

In March 1852 Franz WALTER, watchmaker from Eisenstadt asks for permission to
emigrate with his wife, 1 year old foster-child Samuel FRIEBE and 11 year old
adopted child Elisabeth KOPF. His parents and his brothers and sisters have
emigrated in 1851. In September 1852 Magdalena KISS from Eisenstadt asks for
permission to emigrate to New York. She wants to marry a cabinet maker from
Vienna who has settled there.

Emigrants from Purbach: in 1854: Josef TURKOVITS (1854); in 1855: Franz
SCHWARZ; Michael HACKSTOCK, 56 years, his wife Elisabeth, 46 years, son
Franz, 20, daughter Maria, 10; Paul SCHLLER, 33 years, his wife Maria, 30,
and their daughter Theresia, 3 years; Paul HUBER, 39 years, his wife (36 y),
and 7 children aged 1 - 17 years; Stefan SANDHOFER, 44, his wife Johanna, 41,
children Paul (19), Franz (4) and Maria (1).

Emigrants from Breitenbrunn in 1855: Josef RESCH, 57 years, his wife
Elisabeth, 40 years, their 10 children (3 - 21 years), and one grandchild;
Anton HNDLER, 26 years, his wife Theresia, 30, and their 3 children (2-6
years); Gregor JANISCH, his wife Kunigunde and their 5 children (5-20 years).

Further emigrants in 1855: Matthias STROMER, weaver from Schwendgraben; Josef
BAUER from Eisenstadt, 34 years, with wife Veronika; Josef HAIDER from
Walbersdorf (his 53 years old brother is already living in America, where he
owns 2 houses, 160 Joch farming land and 80 Joch forests; his brother has no
heirs), 40 years old; Andreas PILLER, bricklayer from Grohflein, 14 year
old son Franz and 10 year old daughter Theresia; Paul REINER from Purbach,
his wife and two children (his brother already in America); (source: Hans
PAUL: Frhe Amerikawanderer unserer Heimat. In: Burgenlndische Forschungen.
Sonderheft VI. (Festschrift fr Karl SEMMELWEIS). Eisenstadt 1981,
p.133-151)

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, For information
concerning the Burgenland Bunch, contact .

This thread: