BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 36 dtd 30 may 1998 (edited)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 07:21:03 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 36
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
May 30, 1998
(all rights reserved)

This edition of the newsletter contains articles on a Source of Immigrant
Ship Photos, Definition of "Staatsangehrigkeit" and "Zustndigkeit", A
Critque of Travel Guides, Another Burgenland Organization, More Transylvanian
Material-A Strange Itinerary, Reasons For Emigration and the Northampton, PA
Catholic Church.

IMMIGRANT SHIP PHOTOS (Anna Kresh)
I recently found the following web site and reported it as a new URL:
<http://home.att.net/~paul.petersen/ships.htm>; - provides photos and data on
our ancestors' passenger ships; fee: approx. $8.25 U.S.; site contains 100
print pages of passenger ship listings (see also Paul's home site at
<http://home.att.net/~paul.petersen/index.htm>; for other links.

On 3/30/98 I sent $8.25 to Paul Petersen at the "Ship of our Ancestors" web
site requesting a photo of the ship my father sailed on when he emigrated to
the U.S. Nine days later I received two glossy photos of the ship on which
my father emigrated from Kroatisch Tschantschendorf via Antwerp in 1906. They
are captioned "S.S. FINLAND, 1902 Red Star Line; Courtesy The Peabody Museum
of Salem". Also film negatives for 3 photos, a money-back guarantee, a copy
of an advertising flyer (circa 1890) for the North German Lloyd Line, with an
accompanying short story about the shipping line "boys" hanging around the
docks reporting the latest news on the incoming ships, a photocopy of 2 pages
from "Passenger Liners of the Western Ocean" with info on the FINLAND and a
7-page reprint from "The New York Times Marine Intelligence Column", December
23, 1866, entitled CASTLE GARDEN, with sub-headings: Experiences of an
English Emigrant; Description of the Emigrant Depot at Castle Garden; The
First Night There; Despondent Emigrants; Difficulty of Obtaining Situations;
Wreck of the Scotland.

He also listed for me all the Mxxx book codes, titles, and authors from which
he receives his material and stated that all of the books are held in
collection at Mary Cheney Public Library, Main St., Manchester, CT 06040 and
are available for inter-library loan. He also provided a list of the
abbreviations used in the web site. You will be amazed at the number of ships
listed. I am very pleased with the info I received from Mr. Peterson. Be
sure to see this special treat.

"BIRTHPLACE & BELONGING TO" - TWO IMPORTANT AND POSSIBLY CONTRADICTORY TERMS
FOR GENEALOGICAL RESEARCHERS
(Fritz Konigshofer)
Friends, the story (from Anna Tanczos Kresh et al.) in the last issue of the
newsletter about the passports and certificates touches upon the terms
Staatsangehrigkeit and Zustndigkeit. From my experience, there is more to
these concepts than the article suggests. I would even propose that we
combine our knowledge and do some research into the matter, as it would be
useful for genealogical research if we could gather the best possible
clarification of these terms. Let me start with the mostly anecdotical
knowledge I have.

The term "zustndig nach" (belonging to) extended nationality or citizenship
"Staatsangehrigkeit" down to the level of a specific parish,
market-community , or town. It was an important operational term since it
established the place that was obliged to take care of a person that had
become a public charge, e.g., a pauper without close relatives to take care
of the destitute person.

In many cases, belonging to a village indeed defined the village where one
was born or where one usually lived, but I believe the latter two
characteristics were incidental, not causal for the definition. As you will
see below, you could belong to a village where you never lived (and possibly
neither had been born).

When my greatgrandfather Adolf Knigshofer, an Austrian citizen born in and
belonging to the Neudau parish, sought to obtain his first teacher job in
then Hungary (now Burgenland), he not only needed to apply for and obtain
Hungarian citizenship ("Staatsangehrigkeit"), but also had to find a parish
that would accept him, not just as a teacher but for his new "Zustndigkeit"
(place of belonging). The new nationality was granted by the authorities of
Hungary (I believe the government of Vas county), while the "belonging-to"
was granted to him specifically by Olbendorf (br), the village that also
gave him his first job. The agreement by the village council of Olbendorf to
"accept" my great-grandfather into the village was needed to support his
application for Hungarian citizenship.

It is an interesting aspect that within the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy the
Austrian and Hungarian citizenships were so clearly separate and mutually
un-exchangeable at that time (1880s) except with an application supported by
reasons. However, I do not know whether the concepts of "belonging" differed
in meaning between the two halves of the empire. In fact, I believe the
concept of Zustndigkeit might have been very similar in the whole empire.
[One aspect I do not know about at all is whether it was possible to have
Austrian nationality while belonging to a parish or town in Hungary, and vice
versa.... probably not.]

It clearly appears to have been possible to obtain the "belonging" by making
an application and hoping it would be granted. On the other hand, the much
more normal way to obtain one's "belonging-to" was by birth, and as I
believe, specifically through the place of belonging of the legal parent
(normally the father). My other paternal great-grandfather Alois Koller, a
teacher, was born in Rechnitz and belonged to that market-town. As a
teacher, however, he never returned to his native place. While his many
children were born in the five villages he served in his career as a teacher,
none of them Rechnitz, the children all remained "zustndig nach" (officially
belonging to) Rechnitz (Rohonc).

One of his daughters (and obviously a sister of my grandmother) had a harsh
existence in Gssing, living single and giving birth, over time, to three
illegitimate children. At the end, she became unable to support herself and
transferred to Rechnitz which had to accept her in the poorhouse as a public
charge, thanks to her rights to such support stemming from her "belonging to"
the village. The concept of Zustndigkeit was still in force between the two
World Wars, but in the period after WW II (my time) it had lost its original
meaning as national level social security was taking its operational place.

I was able to establish a similar situation in another branch of my ancestors
from Rechnitz, namely the Tivalts who originally had run a carpenter master
business there. In the late 19th century, all descendents of my
g-g-g-grandfather had left Rechnitz with their families, but the mentally
deranged daughter of one of the branches (of the baker master Josef Tivalt)
had to be taken back by Rechnitz after the death of her parents, to provide
her a living in the poorhouse as a public charge (although she had been born
in Nagy Kanizsa, Zala county, far away from Rechnitz). By the way, the death
of this destitute and deranged woman was somewhat of a sensational story, as
she escaped the confined part of the poorhouse and jumped into the village
well. Her faint cries for help were heard after some hours, and she was
recovered alive, but died from her injuries soon afterwards. The story was
reported in Der Volksfreund.

When a village did not have a public poorhouse to take care of people who
were not able to fend for themselves (or be sustained by close family), the
pauper was allocated to a village family for a time, and then to the next
family, and so on, in rotation. The point was to give such poor
fellow-citizens a place to sleep and food, and they became a temporary part
of the household, as long as this was the village they belonged to and which
was, therefore, obliged to look after its poor. The German term used in
Austria was "Einlieger" (a "sleeper," somebody "laid by the public into the
household of a citizen"). One can occasionally find this term as the status
of, say, a deceased person in old church records. I do not know, however,
the Latin and Hungarian equivalent of the term, the corresponding words used
in Hungarian church or civil records.

For the genealogical researcher, the concept of "belonging-to" can sow some
confusion because the recordings sometimes did not distinguish between
birthplace and place of belonging. A further complication is, in my opinion,
created by the concept "gebrtig von." A dictionary will translate this term
as "born in" and this is indeed the usual meaning of the term. However, in
my experience, the term "gebrtig von" includes, at least in Austrian
parlance, the possibility of alternatively meaning the place one belonged to
at birth or soon thereafter, i.e., the place of original belonging-to in the
sense of the concept of Zustndigkeit. The semantics of "gebrtig (von)"
suggests a translation by "at birth, from..." In contrast, there would be no
ambiguity about the meaning of "geboren in," (born at) or "Geburtsort" (place
of birth), which both can only refer to the physical place of birth.

In the registration records of Graz (by which the police recorded the places
of living) I have found examples of relatives who were recorded as born in
Neudau, when they in fact had been born in Graz but were still "belonging to"
Neudau due to the father's belonging-to. The marriage entry of Gerry
Berghold's great-grandfather Emil Langasch in Heiligenkreuz lists Vienna as
Emil's place of origin, but since this was likely not factually true (in the
sense of his birthplace), it might have been a mix-up with Emil's "place of
belonging at birth" -- which could have been Vienna, thanks to Emil's
father's origin and still "belonging-to" at the time of Emil's birth.

If one pays attention to the meaning of birthplace versus place of
belonging, and considers any dubious single data item as potentially meaning
one or the other, the concept of belonging-to can convey additional
information, e.g., on the origin of the father, or about a successful attempt
by the ancestor to establish "Zustndigkeit" in a particular village. The
latter might indicate that the ancestor, or his parents, had at least
temporarily lived in that village and established a close relationship with
the local community. In the search for the origins of a parallel Knigshofer
line (no close relation), the living descendents were sure that their
greatgrandfather had been born in Stu"bing, a village northwest of Graz, and
this is also what his known later records purported. His children had
inherited the "belonging to" of the parish of Stbing, though they were born
and lived around Voitsberg. Closer search revealed that this man had, in
fact, been born in another parish, fortunately for the search, a neighbor
parish of Stbing. This result clarified the birthplace, and at the same
time opened the interesting new question of how and why he had obtained his
belonging to Stbing with its relatively long-lasting effect on at least two
generations.

TRAVEL GUIDES & GENEALOGY (Gerry Berghold)
I collect European travel guides. I never pass up a used Baedecker and I
often buy discounted outdated guides which can serve as a snapshot of a point
in time. The reason I like them is the encapsulated information they
contain. Often history and geography are presented in some detail. Each
guide; however, approaches the subject in a different way. Some are better
for our puposes than others. Recently American Express "Sign & Travel"
included a small "Guide to Guidebooks". A synopsis of that article follows to
which I've added comments and a few favorites of my own (note that some may
no longer be published):

Baedecker-150 year old classic-culture, history, architecture (both old and
new will often pinpoint elusive places-good modern city guides)-the GJB
"best" choice
Berlitz-good city and regional guides, detailed with language helps
Blue Guide-(old called Muirheads's)-encyclopedic guidebook-history, culture,
architecture, the arts, itineraries-often found for specific cities and
regions
Collins-"Traveller"-good larger city guides
Corvina-"Complete Guides"-Hungary, Lake Balaton & Budapest-lots of local
detail
Fieldings-general guide-rough it in luxury, upscale
Fodor's-"Gold Guides"- in depth itineraries, hotels and restaurants
Fodor's-"Modern Guide Series"-older editions are classics-lots of
everything-heavy on accomodations & eating
Fodor's-"Up Close"-top sights in depth
Frommer's-Complete Guide-traditional-off the beaten path, hotels, eating, maps
Frommer's-$-A-Day- economy version, B&B's, pensiones, ethnic eating
Let's Go-budget, student, quick tips-Harvard student publication
Lonely Planet-budget, politics, climate, general sights, history
Michelin-lots of information, history , culture, architecture-city & country
guides
Phaidon-Cultural Guides-superb coverage, photos, maps and ethnic treasures
The Rough Guide-budget, highlights what to avoid
Travel & Leisure-upscale, culture maven, the finer things
World Budget Guide-maps, tips, some history and geography

If you need a quick and ready introduction to Austria and Hungary, read a few
travel guides. If you see an old Austrian Baedecker, (particularly pre 1921)
buy it.

ANOTHER BURGENLAND ORGANIZATION (Tom Glatz)
Two years ago when the Edelserpentin group from Bernstein came to America, I
became friendly with some of the entourage. I learned that a new organization
had been founded in Bernstein called the Burgenlaendische Hianzische
Gesellschaft. I wrote to one of the group several months later asking for