BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 39 dtd 15 July 1998 (edited)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 07:57:02 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS No.-39
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
July 15, 1998
(all rights reserved)

We may have come over on different ships, but were all in the same boat
now.
Source: Whitney Young Jr. (1991) Quoted in S. Thiederman (Ed.) Bridging
cultural barriers for corporate success. (p. 1) New York: Lexington Books

This edition of the newsletter is in three sections. Print all 27 pages (or
copy to your lap top computer), take it out on the front porch or patio, prop
up your feet and enjoy some summer time ethnic reading! This first section
articles on the villages of Heugraben, Rohr, and Olbendorf, Church Records,
German Terms, and Available Burgenland Books & Publications.

CONTINUATION OF THE FATHER LESER VILLAGE SERIES (from Albert Schuch)
30) Heugraben-Situated in a valley south of Bocksdorf. The 1693-Urbarium
calls the village "Sirovnicza oder [= or] Heygraben", and gives the following
information: Richter: ZLOKLIKOVITS Mikula, Geschworene: VUKOVITS Mate,
STOLICS Peter; other inhabitants: PILICSARICS Ivan, PILICSARICS Martin,
BELLASICS, NOVASEL Mate, CSETICS Gyurika, SZLADOVICS Mate and Miklos,
VUKICSEVICS Mate, Mihaly, Ive, Steipan, Jure, Mikula and Peter,
KLANACSKI Mate, ORSOLICS Mihol, PISOLICS Ivan, CZVITOSICS Mate and
Mihaly, POPOVCSICS Jure, JELENCSICS Peter, SZIDARICS Ivan, POHMANOVICS Mikula
and Pal, ZLOKLIKOVICS Peter and Mihaly, BARBARICS Peter and Jure, SZLARARICS
Mate, JANTALICS Gregor.

>From the Urbarium of 1750: Richter: VUKISOVICH Jure, Geschworene: SZOKLOVICH
Ive, VUKISOVICH Miko and Mikula, ORSOLICH Mathe; families: VUKISOVICS (15),
ORSOLICH (4), SLOKLIKOVICH (4), BARBARICS (4), PLASKOVICH (2), BESLANOVICH,
KOMANOVICH. Number of inhabitants: 268 in 1812, 315 in 1832, 370 in 1850, 595
in 1930; 24 casualties in WW I; about 30 emigrants to America (until 1930);
in 1930 about 100 inhabitants work in Vienna and Lower Austria; Heugraben has
always been a part of Bocksdorf parish. A wooden chapel (Trinity) built in
1724, the church was built in 1834.
Teachers: ca. 1850-1870 Georg WUKISEVITS, 1871-87 Johan ILLETITS, 1887-1900
Stefan ZADROVITS, 1900-1909 Josef BENTSITS, 1909-13 Julius SZENTGYRGYI,
1913-15 Josef BRESITS, 1915-17 Stefanie FUX, 1917-30 Hermine SCHMAL. (source:
V+H Nr. 1-2/1958)

31) Rohr- Situated west of Heugraben. The 1750-Urbar for "Rohr anders [=
otherwise] Nadasd" gives the following information: Richter: Michael HIMLER,
Geschworene: Adam LAGLER, Martin SCHABHTTL, Hans STROBEL; families: PEISCHL
(7), STROBL (6), SCHABHTTL (5), LAGLER (4), ANDER (4), HABITZAN (4), KNOR
(KNARR) (3), FLECK (3), HIRSCHBCK (3), KRCHER (3), TOMANDL (2), DRNTALLER
(2), HERMAN (2), LUIBENBCKER, LOIBERSBECK, HIMMLER, ERNST, WORSING, THONIN,
ERTLER.
Inhabitants: 389 in 1812, 473 in 1832, 510 in 1850, 602 in 1930 (95 houses).
In 1930 ca. 30 emigrants living in America. 27 casualties in WW I. Part of
Bocksdorf parish. Church built 1811-13. Teachers: BARTL (ca.1820), Anton
KUBIK, Michael BASKOVITS, Paul MARX (1879-1909, from LIMBACH), Michael
STEIGERWALD (1909-30), since 1927 also Ada NOGLER.(source: V+H Nr. 2/1958)

32) Olbendorf- North of Rauchwart. The 1750-Urbar for "Szent Lrincz
otherwise Olbendorf" names the following families: GRAFF (11), PAULL (9),
POMPER (6), WAGNER (5), WEISZ (4), GRASMANN (3), PALISCH (6), TAUSZ (3),
GARTNER (3), CSAR (3), KRANTZ (2), WEBER (2), STROBL (2), HASIBAR (2),
PEISCHL (2), STUBER (2), PILTZ (2), HARPFER (2), IVANTSITS (2), TURI (2),
KRAMMER, SAMBSTAG, JANISCH, HALTZER, OSWALD, POTZMANN, REIGER, PELZMANN,
HOANZL, SCHREINER, LEBERSORGER, LAGLER, LAKINGER, MUIK, SPILLMANN,
BAUMGARTNER, PIMPERL, OFFNER. Two mills owned by the Counts BATTHYANY, one of
them sold to Michael ERNST in 1862. Inhabitants: 724 Catholics and 16
Lutherans in 1812, 797 C. and 18 L. in1832, 1000 inhabitants in 1865, 1526 in
1930 (254 houses). 66 casualtiesin WW I. Part of Bocksdorf parish until
1788. A new church built in 1794, enlarged in 1873. Three crosses in 1812,
built by Johann GRAF, Lorenz MINK and Michael HANZL. Priests: LUTZ (1789-96),
Novellus Primus (1796-99), both from Lockenhaus Abbey, 1799-Jordan 1822
Donatus PISSL, 1822-46 Michael PLANK, 1846-47 Paul HERMANN, 1847-81 Georg
PEHAM (wrote a village chronicle),1881-1914 Emmerich KOVATS, 1914-27 Otto
WENZEL, since 1927 Franz MAGYAR. Teachers: Martin GROFF (GRAF) ca. 1757-1771,
Georg SAYER ca. 1788-1801, Andreas SCHWARZ ca. 1812-32, Jo. FREITZ 1838,
Josef SZATKOVITS 1840-47, Franz GRAF 1847-89, Josef BAUER 1889-1914, since
1914 Emmerich BAUER (son of Josef B.), also since 1914 Katharina LOEW, since
1928 Franz BAUMGARTNER and Friedrich WINNA (i.e. 4 teachers in 1930, for 251
pupils).(source: V+H Nr. 2-4/1958)

CHURCH RECORDS, AMBO & OTHER TERMS (from Fritz Knigshofer)
I would suppose that the Hungarian r.c. church records were fully filmed by
LDS because the church or the Government cooperated with them. The Austrian
dioceses never cooperated (perhaps with the exception of the Linz diocese),
therefore the only recourse LDS had was to film the duplicates covering the
area of the Burgenland which were in Budapest. The duplicates started in
1827/28.

In the diocese Graz-Seckau (my home area), the churches had to produce
duplicates from about 1835. Therefore, the diocesan archives in Graz hold
the records of all their parishes from 1835, but only in duplicate. This
means, you normally cannot find the important additional marginal entries in
them about a later marriage or death of a baptized person. Anyway, the
diocese Graz-Seckau did not permit the Mormons to even film the duplicates,
let alone the originals. On the other hand, over time the diocesan archive
has received the original records for safekeeping from more and more
parishes. This is an ongoing process, i.e., it is good to always ask them
whether they have the "Erstschriften."

About the meaning of "ambo" as for the status of a person, I never knew what
it really means. My assumption was it means itinerant (in the church entries
it was applied to many gypsies), perhaps the absence of a village or town to
which you formally belonged ("Zustndigkeit"). The Latin word "ambulare"
stands, I believe, for walking around. I don't recall if I have discussed
this with you, but "Zustndigkeit" (see BB news no. 37) was an important
concept in the monarchy and extended into the time between the two world
wars; important, as it gave a person the right to return to the place of
your Zustndigkeit as a pauper and then get a bed and food until the end of
your days. Villages would pass these "Gemeindearmen" (parish paupers) from
house to house, and they were called (in German) "Einlieger" (the one who has
a temporary bed and subsistence at a family/ house). (ED. Albert Schuch
adds: "Old people in my native village still remember these miserable people.
When they speak about them in dialect they say that he or she "is va Haus za
Haus gaunga" (went from house to house)."

As you know from Emil Langasch's marriage record, he probably belonged to
Vienna, and if so, this had been established by the "Zustndigkeit" of his
father. My great-grandfather Alois Koller had been born in Rechnitz, but as
a teacher did not live in Rechnitz ever from the time he attended high
school. His wife (Maria Frsatz) originated from Unterbildein, but since her
father had been a teacher as well, I don't know her "Zustndigkeit,"
certainly not Rechnitz. Anyway, after their marriage, the couple and all
children (of which not one was born in Rechnitz) were zustndig in Rechnitz!

I am copying Albert on this e-m, because he might be able to enlighten the
meaning of the term "ambo." I am more than uncertain about my interpretation
offered above (i.e., the lack of "Zustndigkeit" for a person).

By the way, the term "molitor sodalis" means flour miller craftsman (Geselle)
to me. The next higher step in the profession would be molitor magister, a
master miller. In the middle european system of the trades, one starts as an
apprentice ("Lehrling"), followed by Geselle (craftsman), then Meister
(master craftsman). I don't think the Anglo-Saxons had this kind of rigid
system, (ED-yes-they used apprentice, journeyman, master) therefore the
translation "craftsman" may not truly be able to nail the meaning of the term.

TRANLATIONS OF TERMS (Frank Teklits & Albert Schuch)
ED.-This is a continuation of terms which Teklits has encountered in his
translation of Croatian history:
Erstochenen-stabbed, Amtsperson-an official, "1563. Repositorium 12, Number
555:-not to be translated; this refers to where this document can be found in
the archives, Nutzgenuss-same as "Nutzniessung" = usufruct, benefit,
Nutzniessungsrecht- the right/title to have the usufruct/benefit of ...
Patronatsherrin-patroness, "Acta University Thubengensis...." not to be
translated -(this is the title of a book), Fakturen - invoice?-yes, plural
though (invoices), ".........., yedes ain Eremplar" "..., one copy of each
(one)" you should leave the whole sentence "Meinem Bruder ... Exemplar"
untranslated, because Dobrovich is quoting it only to prove that this
sentence has been wrongly interpreted/translated in the above mentioned book
(Acta Univ. Thu"bengensi...); Gregoriancz- this is the surname of the bishop
of Raab (Gyo"r, in Hungary), Rittsteuer -surname of the priest of the town of
Eisenstadt (he is still living, now in his eighties, has written books and
articles on Burgenland church history), Wiedemann - a reference to an
individual not in the book's personnel register?-see page 152: Wiedemann is
the author of a book; Hofrichterin - judge of the court ?-just "judge",
Kollektur- leave untranslated and add explanation: "money owed to the parish"
(in Burgenland, the inhabitants of a parish hat to pay this kind of "tax"
until 1938; I am not exactly sure if this money was used for the priest's
salary or for the cost of the schools, which were until then run by the
church in most cases), "ohne fueg"-without a title, without a right; "Fug" is
an old word for "right", it has been conserved in the phrase "mit Fug und
Recht".

BURGENLAND BOOKS & PUBLICATIONS (from Albert Schuch)
New member John J. Kornfeind recently asked me to name works of history which
go into detail about the Central to South Burgenland, and subsequently for
information on where to order them. Based on my answers I have written the
following article. You may wish to publish it in a future edition of the
newsletter. (ED.-Readers may also wish to see previous newsletters,
particularly no.-25A which displays much of the contents of my Burgenland
library. Most, if not all of Albert's list are still available in Austria.)

Reference to publications on Burgenland history:
All of the publications listed below are written in GERMAN, unless it is
stated otherwise. Prices are given to the best of my knowledge (schilling has
a value of about 10 cents US) and do not include postage and possible extra
costs for packaging and bank fees. If you write for information only (not
ordering) it is recommended to include an International Reply Coupon. Since
they have been published recently, it is assumed that most of the material is
still available.

1) Burgenland History In General
A good choice is: "Geschichte des Burgenlandes. Lehrbuch fr die Oberstufe"
by Michael FLOIGER, Oswald GRUBER and Hugo HUBER; published in Eisenstadt
1996 (celebrating 75 years Burgenland); 256 pages; includes many pictures;
cost 200 ATS (= Austrian Schillings) and cannot be bought in book shops, has
to be ordered from: Landesschulrat fr das Burgenland, Kernausteig 3, A-7000
Eisenstadt, Austria. (ED. I've ordered this text and find it to be as
stated-one of the best general texts, good maps, pictures, etc.).

The "Landesschulrat" also maintains a website at
<http://www.bnet.co.at/brg_ei1/lsr_bgld.htm>;

2) Regional (Bezirk; district) Histories
Books called "Der Bezirk ... im Wandel der Zeiten" have been published for
the districts Jennersdorf, Gssing, Oberwart and Operpullendorf. Short
information on all communities of the respective district, a little on
history, many nice pictures (some old, most new). Each volume costs 396 ATS.
Also see review in BB-news # 28. Can be ordered from: Kirsner & Peternell,
Kapellenweg 14,A-8502 Lannach, Austria. (ED.-I have the first three and use
them all the time to answer queries and BB correspondence. Tom Glatz, Anna
Kresh and other BB members have also ordered them).

For the northern districts (Neusiedl am See, Eisenstadt, Mattersburg) the
"Burgenlndisches Landesarchiv" (Provincial archives of Burgenland) has
published a series called "Allgemeine Landestopographie des Burgenlandes",
where you get historical (& cultural, geographic and geological) information
on a scientific level. Neusiedl is out of print. Eisenstadt (2 volumes;
including the free towns Eisenstadt and Rust) can be ordered for 380 ATS,
Mattersburg (3 volumes) costs 1000 ATS (hard cover 1200 ATS). These books
include overviews of the whole area as well as articles on all villages
situated in these districts. Can be ordered from:
Amt der Burgenlndischen Landesregierung, Landesarchiv, A-7001 Eisenstadt,
Austria. Fax: + 43 (02682) 600 2058

3) Books Including Many Old (16th century) Lists of Surnames
Two books written by Dr. Robert Hajszan focus on the immigration of the
Croats and contain Urbaria from the 16th century (land registers listing the
names of the house owners) for many Southern Burgenland villages. Both books
include brief abstracts in Hungarian, Croatian and English (about 1 page
each). The first book has the title "Die Kroaten der Herrschaft Gssing".
Details: published in 1991, Literas-Verlag Wien, ISBN 3-85429-115-9; I bought
this book for 175 ATS a few years ago; 149 pages; topics: the emigration of
the Croats in the 16th century; related letters written by Count Franz
BATTHYANY 1533-1547; possible areas of origin (based on linguistic studies);
Croatian surnames from 16th century Urbars; 16th century historical data for
the following villages: St. Nikolaus, Punitz, Rehgraben, Steingraben, Sankt
Michael, Neuberg, Gttenbach, Stinatz, Heugraben, Eisenhttl, Gromrbisch,
Kleinmrbisch, Gamischdorf, Rauchwart, Bocksdorf, Hasendorf, Krottendorf,
Sulz, Kroatisch Tschantschendorf, Tudersdorf,
Reinersdorf, Schallendorf, Steinfurt, Stegersbach.

The second book is called "Die Bevlkerung der Herrschaft Rechnitz-Schlaining
im 16. Jahrhundert". Details: published in 1992, Literas-Verlag Wien, ISBN
3/85429-123-X; don't remember the price, it should be about 200 ATS; 200
pages; contents: Urbarium for 1540 (surnames before the Croatian
immigration); Urbaria and tax files from the 2nd half of the 16th century
(including the Croatian immigrants); meanings of Croatian and some Hungarian
names; studies in dialect relationships to find the area of origin of the
Croatian immigrants; 16th century historical data (Urbaria) for the following
villages: Rechnitz, Perenye (Hungary), Velem (Hungary), Ck (Hungary),
Schandorf, Schachendorf, Hodis, Drnbach, Nagynarda (Hungary), Felscsatr
(Hungary), Zuberbach, Allersdorf, Neumarkt, Altschlaining, Stadt Schlaining,
Drumling, Grafenschachen, Loipersdorf, Kitzladen, Buchschachen, Markt Allhau,
Wolfau, Kemeten, Gropetersdorf, Miedlingsdorf, Welgersdorf, Hannersdorf,
Burg, Eisenberg (old name:Schauka), Badersdorf, Bachselten, Neustift an der
Lafnitz, Mnchmeierhof, Kleinpetersdorf, Allersgraben, Podler, Rauhriegel.

To find out if these two books are still available I'd recommend to write to:
Pannonisches Institut, Mag. Dr. Robert HAJSZAN, A-7535 Gttenbach 27,
Austria; Fax: + 43 (03327) 2266 14

A new book written by historians Harald and Leonhard Prickler covers Croatian
villages of all districts (except Jennersdorf). The title is "Hoheitszeichen
der kroatischen Gemeinden des Burgenlandes. Petschaften, Siegel, Wappen,
Gemeindefarben"; published in 1997 by the "Kroatisches Kultur- und
Dokumentationszentrum" (address: J. Permayerstrae 3/3, A-7000 Eisenstadt,
Austria); ISBN 3-85374-280-7; 292 pages; includes a 9 page Croatian article;
short historical abstracts for each village on a scientific level (usually
2-3 pages), plus coats of arms (full page size & in color); the abstracts
include the oldest available lists of surnames (mostly 16th century, in some
cases 17th or 18th); villages included: Gattendorf, Kittsee, Neudorf, Pama,
Parndorf, Potzneusiedl (all in Bezirk Neusiedl); Hornstein, Klingenbach,
Oslip, Siegendorf, Steinbrunn (old name: Stinkenbrunn), Trausdorf,
Wulkaprodersdorf, Zagersdorf, Zillingtal (all in Bezirk Eisenstadt); Antau,
Baumgarten, Draburg, Sigle (all in Bezirk Mattersburg); Frankenau,
Gromutschen, Growarasdorf, Kaisersdorf, Kleinmutschen, Kleinwarasdorf,
Kroatisch Geresdorf, Kroatisch Minihof, Nebersdorf, Nikitsch,
Unterpullendorf, Weingraben (all in Bezirk Oberpullendorf); Allersdorf,
Althodis, Drnbach, Harmisch, Miedlingsdorf, Mnchmeierhof, Podgoria, Podler,
Rauhriegel, Rumpersdorf, St. Kathrein, Schachendorf, Schandorf, Spitzzicken,
Weiden bei Rechnitz, Zuberbach (all in Bezirk Oberwart); Eisenhttl,
Gromrbisch, Gttenbach, Hackerberg, Hasendorf, Heugraben, Kroatisch
Ehrensdorf, Kroatisch Tschantschendorf, Neuberg, Rehgraben, Reinersdorf,
Stegersbach, Stinatz, Sulz. I don't know the price, as I was lucky to receive
a free copy.

4) Local (village) History
The best buy is always - if one exists - an "Ortschronik" (village history).
To find out if a book of this kind does exist and is available, write to the
local "Gemeindeamt" or school. (ED.-I can provide address if you can't find
it on your own)

5) History of Emigration to America
The book "Die Amerikawanderung der Burgenlnder" was written by Dr. Walter
Dujmovits. It is based on his dissertation, has been published (2nd edition)
in 1992; 220 pages text plus more than 120 pictures; Can be ordered from the
office of the "Burgenlndische Gemeinschaft" for 285ATS. The address is:
Burgenlndische Gemeinschaft, Hauptplatz 7, A-7540 Gssing, Austria.

The author is also president of the "Burgenlndische Gemeinschaft", a
worldwide Burgenlnder organization founded in the 1950ies. Membership is 150
ATS or 15 Dollars, they publish a printed newsletter (mostly German, with
some English sections; contents: Burgenland (village) news, news from
emigrants in Pennsylvania, New York, Chicago, etc., old photos, immigrant's
stories, local recipes, etc.; the newsletter is mailed bimonthly to all
members (cost is included in membership fee). You can also order via e-mail,
the address is <> (the office is run by Frau Renate
Dolmanits; as Dr. Dujmovits has written in his recent editorial, they are
receiving many e-mails and are not always able to answer immediately)
(ED.-for the "umpteenth time"-buy this book if you buy no other!)

Another book on this topic is the "... nach Amerika" catalogue. See under 7)

6) Periodicals on Burgenland History & Culture
Two quarterlies write about the history of Burgenland, both available for 100
ATS per year: The "Burgenlndische Heimatbltter" is a scientific journal
dedicated to Burgenland research, published by the Landesarchiv in Eisenstadt
since the 1930ies. Each issue ca. 50 pages, which makes ca. 200 pages or the
whole year. 2 or 3 long articles in each issue, plus a few short ones and an
occasional book review. Can be ordered from: Amt der Burgenlndischen
Landesregierung, Landesarchiv, A-7001 Eisenstadt, Austria. Fax: + 43 (02682)
600 2058

The quarterly "Volk und Heimat" (with less and shorter historical articles)
is published by the "Volksbildungswerk fr das Burgenland" in Eisenstadt. To
find out more about this organization, have a look at their website at
<http://www.bukeb.at:81/vbw/vbw.htm>;. There you will also find a table of
contents for the most recent edition, with a few articles included in full
length. The Leser-series (source of the translated abstracts in the
BB-newsletters) has been printed in "Volk und Heimat" in the 1950ies and
1960ies, when it had still been a biweekly. You can try to order via e-mail
or write to: Volksbildungswerk fr das Burgenland, Joseph-Haydn-Gasse 11,
A-7000 Eisenstadt, Austria.

6) Books on Various Topics Published by the Landesarchiv
>From the Landesarchiv you can also order scientific books that have been
published in the series "Burgenlndische Forschungen" (BF). A few examples:
BF # 44 - Otto GUGLIA: Das Werden des Burgenlandes (1961) - 40 ATS
BF # 47 - Johann DOBROVICH: Volk an der Grenze. Schicksal und Auftrag. Zur
Geschichte der burgenlndischen Kroaten (1963) - 66 ATS
BF # 52,53,54,55 - Josef BUZS: Kanonische Visitationen der Dizese Raab aus
dem 17. Jahrhundert (1966-69) (Latin) - 140, 180, 156 and 275 ATS
BF # 56 - Tibor KOVCS: Das sdliche Burgenland in den Konskriptionen aus der
1. Hlfte des 19. Jahrhunderts (1967) (statistical data) - 42 ATS
BF # 63 - Tibor KOVCS: Das sdliche Burgenland in den Volkszhlungen der
Jahre 1857 und 1869 (1792) (statistical data) - 214 ATS
BF # 65 - Fritz P. HODIK: Beitrge zur Geschichte der Mattersdorfer
Judengemeinde im 18. und in der ersten Hlfte des 19. Jahrhunderts (1975) -
420 ATS
BF # 69 - Jzsef BUZS: Kanonische Visitationen der Dizese Raab aus dem
Jahre 1713 (1980) (Latin) - 480 ATS
BF # 71 - Jzsef BUZS: Kanonische Visitation 1757 Sdburgenland (1982)
(Latin) - 575 ATS
BF # 74 - Hans PAUL: Die Volksschule im burgenlndisch-westungarischen Raum
1849-1860 (1992) - 490 ATS

BF Sonderband IX: "... nach Amerika", Katalog der Landesausstellung (1992)
(on the history of the emigration of Burgenlnders to America) - 198 ATS
(ED.-an excellent publication covering the full spectrum of Burgenland
emigration. Features Gssing Castle Museum program of 1992). You can order
from: Amt der Burgenlndischen Landesregierung, Landesarchiv, A-7001
Eisenstadt, Austria Fax: + 43 (02682) 600 2058--- end of article; prepared by
Albert Schuch 19th May 1998 ---(end of first section-newsletter 39 is
continued as no. 39A)

This thread: