BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 40A dtd 30 July 1998 (edited)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 07:58:40 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 40A
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
July 30, 1998

This second section of newsletter 40 features Stegerbach's twin city
Northampton, PA and contains Some Old Lehigh Valley Clippings, A Catasauqua,
PA History, Northampton, PA-Sister City to Stegersbach-Burgenland, The Coal
Chute, Mhl Family-Schoolteaching Tradition(?), Memories From Northampton
Immigrant Days, Nemet Csenc (Deutsch Tschantschendorf ) and Research, and
Tombstone Names from Our Lady of Hungary Cemetery in Northampton. This is
almost an Anna Kresh edition. Anna sends us much material as well as serving
as Internet Editor.

SOME OLD LEHIGH VALLEY NEWS CLIPPINGS (from Anna Kresh)
I have a couple of columns from an old German newspaper which also contains
my brother and sister-in-law's wedding notice. I tried my hand at
translating the other items on the same page and wonder if anyone in the BB
can use any of it. The paper was probably from Bath, Nazareth or
Northampton, (my sister-in-law and our church was in Bath) and judging from
my brother's anniversary it was probably from an unknown Lehigh Valley
newspaper dated approx. 9/22/1927:

o Rudolf Gmoser of Los Angeles, Calif., is here visiting with his ill brother
Julius, who got sick some months ago with typhoid fever. This illness has
been at epidemic stage for some time and many humans here are contaminated.
It is reported how Mr. Gmoser wants to bring his brother to California, since
he is of the opinion that the mild climate is more beneficial for ailments
and causes a more rapid convalescence. The Gmosers originate from Zahling,
Burgenland.

o John Feichtl of Front Street in Coplay, Pa, is steaming to a happier
region, on the 25th of September, i.e. to the old homeland. He will pay more
(than) a weekly visit to Burgenland and then return again. We wish him a
joyful arrival celebration over there.

A HISTORY OF CATASAUQUA, PA
(Ed.)-Just north of Allentown, PA and contiguous with it is the borough of
Catasauqua. At its nothern limit it joins Northampton. This area was also
heavily populated by Burgenlanders and is still home to many descendants.
Recently I beacame aware that a History of Catasauqua written by Lambert and
Reinhard exists. There is also a book with Catasauqua history comemorating
"Old Home Week 1914". The books are out of print but available in the local
library. I understand you can read a little about Catasauqua at
www.HCPA.org. If any member has access to either of these publications, I'd
be interested if there are any references to Burgenland immigrants.

NORTHAMTON, PA - STEGERSBACH, BURGENLAND; SISTER CITIES
(Ed.-The following article is The Morning Call Newspaper Company, extracted
and shortened: Date: Thursday, July 19, 1990, Page: N20 , Edition: Z3
Section: NEIGHBORS, courtesy Anna Kresh)

NORTHAMPTON UNVEILS SISTER CITY MONUMENT AUSTRIAN HERITAGE IS EMPHASIZED by
SONIA CSENCSITS, The Morning Call
"Two communities came closer together Sunday and opened what both hope will
be the door to friendships. Northampton unveiled a black granite monument in
a new minipark dedicated to its sister city, Stegersbach, Austria.

Mayor Walter Fabics of Stegersbach brought with him the names and addresses
of 107 young people from the Stegersbach area who are seeking American pen
friends. Fabics gave the letters to Northampton Mayor Paul Kutzler, who has
already begun to work to establish a pen friend program through German
classes at Northampton High School. More than 120 people gathered at the
park, on Laubach Avenue.

Tessie Teklits of the Burgenlaendische Gemeinschaft spoke of the July 15
ceremony 15 years ago in the Austrian town when the sister city program was
born. She said the two came together because many of the immigrants from
there came to this area. The late Mayor Anthony Pany, who initiated the
program, was from Burgenland, the town's area in Austria. Fabics said this
year marks the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the Austrian emigration
to this country.

Teklits noted the dedication of a similar park in Stegersbach in July 1975.
Last year the Austrian town of 2,500 celebrated its 700th anniversary. The
papers formalizing the sister city agreement were signed in the Northampton
library in 1974, Teklits said. Northampton Borough Council President Thomas
Reenock in his official welcome said, "Today we are dedicating a stone, and a
more fitting place could not be found. This symbolizes Northampton's roots.
This symbolizes the roots of Stegersbach and the unity of the two."

Edward Pany, son of the late mayor, recalled the migration that brought 25
million to America from Europe from 1890 to the 1930s. "They embarked on the
arduous journey and didn't sail the Carnival line. There was no buffet, no
sauna. Many rode steerage. Not all Americans welcomed foreigners. Henry Cabot
Lodge said, `I fear the tradition of America will be altered because of new
people, new beliefs.' They came and had to prove themselves, and the way to
prove themselves was with hard work," Pany said. The immigrants worked in
cigar, apparel and cement factories, and they proved themselves and made life
better for their children.

The monument "is more than a stone; it is a feeling, an emotion, a memory of
the people who came here and worked hard," he continued. Fabics presented
officials with silver medallions and a proclamation declaring Sunday
Northampton Day in his home town. He received a framed photograph from
Councilman Joseph Leitgeb.

About the emigration, Fabics noted, "America took people in when work was
hard to find. They came to make a better living for their families." He said
his wish is for "all of you to pray for peace, so there are no wars and only
friendship." He said he did not want children here to ever go through a war
like those in Europe. Wilhelme Kiernbichler, a councilman in Stegersbach,
read a letter from the children about the bonds that tie the two. He thanked
everyone for the hospitality his group has been shown and invited everyone to
visit Austria. Ernst Friedl, Stegersbach secretary, presented photographs of
the Austrian park to officials. It was the first visit to this country for
the three officials. They laid a wreath at Pany's grave yesterday and
expressed their gratitude for the friendship they have been shown.

Lisa Yany of Bath, Miss Burgenland 1990, spoke in German and English. She
welcomed the visitors and said the park is very special because of the many
people who hold family ties to Austria. "Even though an ocean separates us,
there is a very special link that binds the people of Northampton and
Austria," she said. Taking part in the program were Julius Dragovits, Anthony
Spitzer, Frank Spitzer and Augie Maurek, all of the local Gemeinschaft
chapter; Joe Baumann, vice president of the organization;the Rev. Francis
Straka of Our Lady of Hungary Catholic Church, Northampton, and Northampton
Borough Manager Gene Zarayko. Several councilman attended the ceremony.
Musicians who regularly appear at the Edelweis Haus, Northampton, performed."
-end of extract.

THE OLD COAL CHUTE
(Ed.)-Many members enliven my day by forwarding bits of humor. I'm always
tempted to use them in the newsletter but never seem to have the space. Here
is one that I've been saving because it ties in with my childhood. I'm sorry
I've lost the name of the member who sent it to me, My apologies for not
being able to give recognition.

COAL -Here is that little joke I promised to send you, that my mother told
me when I was about 8 or 9. As you know, coal was delivered to people's
houses by chute through a small window that usually opened up into the coal
bin in the basement. There were two neighbors whose houses were fairly close
to each other. One neighbor had just ordered coal but was not home when the
coal delivery man came. Problem was that the coal man went to the wrong
house.

He knocked on the door of the house next door, but nobody was home at this
house either. However there was a parrot in this house, so when the coal man
shouted: "Hello - the coal is here. Shall I dump the coal", the parrot, being
well versed in the language shouted out: "Dump the coal! Dump the coal!" The
coal man took this as his OK to deliver the coal, so he opened the little
basement window and dumped the coal.

That night when the people came home, the husband went to the basement for
something, and saw the coal piled all over his benches and tools. He rushed
upstairs and asked his wife if she had ordered the coal. She said no, but the
parrot hearing that shouted out: "Dump the coal! Dump the coal!" The husband
said: "Ah ha! Your stupid parrot ordered the coal." At that he grabbed the
parrot and slung it across the floor and under the bed. The wife got mad and
said: "You can't do that to my parrot," so she grabbed his cat by the neck
and slung it across the floor too, and as the
cat went sliding past the parrot, the parrot said: "Did you order coal too?"

(Ed.) -In Allentown, PA on Jordan Street in the early 1900's, the Sorger
family had a house with a coal window with a fancy iron gate, under the front
porch. My grandmother even put a lace curtain on it! It opened to a small
coal storage room in the front of the cellar. The coal truck had an elevating
mechanism that raised the body of the truck. In the back was a gate to which
telescoping metal chutes were attached. They were extended from the street,
across the sidewalk and small lawn and into the open window; the truck gate
was raised and a ton or more of coal went sliding into the bin. It was all
very exciting. My coal-dealer 2nd cousin (John Berghold, now 91, last head of
"Berghold & Eder Coal Co.") is still living in a nursing home in A'town. He
still smokes big cigars and is a first generation fount of immigrant
information. He told me that Burgenland immigrants always paid cash on
delivery. He never lost any money on them even during the Depression when he
staked some who were broke and needed coal. He says the PA-Dutch (Germans)
were just the opposite. They would always try to get away without paying and
were always on his bad debt list. He is also famous for saying "Oil and gas
will never replace coal for home heating". He had a franchise with "Old
Company-Lehigh", a large coal yard on Sumner Avenue with a coal car railroad
siding and a business office in Allentown. Berghold & Eder were the coal
dealers of choice among Allentown Burgenland immigrant families.

MHL FAMILY-BURGENLAND SCHOOL TEACHER TRADITION?
(Ed.-one thing I can't help noticing is how occupations tend to repeat among
Burgenland families. I sometimes use this to try and link families. Nowhere
is this more apparent than in the teaching profession. They were (are) an
honored and respected group, particularly in the early days when schooling
was rudimentary. Next to the village pastor and "Richter" they filled the
slot between the general inhabitants and the aristocracy. I have at least two
among my ancestors, one from each side of the family. Previous newsletters
have portrayed the death of great grandfather Emil Langasch, teacher in
Poppendorf and another contained a letter by great-great grandfather Mihaly
Mhl asking to have the Urbersdorf school house refurbished (indications are
that his brother also may have been a teacher). I know of at least two other
Mhl families who had several teachers and I've tried to link them with no
succcess. Not that uncommon a name, but not that prevalent in southern
Burgenland although the village of Kemeten (where I have no links) is full of
Mhls. The following email exchange mentions others.

Karen Barnard writes: " The only other information I have on Johann Mu"hl
was that he was a school teacher in Grodnau."

Reply: There is indication that many Mhls were school teachers. My
2g-grandfather Mihaly (1797-1873) was a teacher for many years. In addition
the Gottlieb Mhl clan (from Knigsdorf) had at least 3 generations of
teachers. I feel because of this association that they all could be related
as well as Johann, but I've not been able to link them . If there is a link
it's probably the generation pre 1797.

Karen: I just noticed in the section on Grodnau that Otto Mu"hl was the son
of the Grodnau "wirkenden" teacher Gottlieb Mu"hl and his second wife and
came in 1922 to Grodnau. I don't know if they are related to my Johann Mu"hl
or not. Oh, I just found another paragraph on Gottlieb Mu"hl. He was the son
of a farmer in Oberschu"tzen. Three of his sons from his first marriage were
teachers.The above Otto's brother was Reinhold. Reinhold was a teacher in
Graz. Are these your Mu"hls?

Reply: No, not that I'm aware. They are part of the Knigsdorf clan. These
people are Lutherans (could have changed). Were your Mhls Lutherans? Mine
were Catholics.

Karen: I believe my Mu"hls were Lutherans. Our Austrian relatives got the
records from the church in Schlaining. Otto and Reinhold Mu"hl were the sons
of Gottlieb's second marriage. He had four sons and two daughters by his
first marriage, it doesn't give their names. The only dates here are for
Reinhold, a teacher in Graz around 1955; Otto taught in Grodnau 1922-1929.

MEMORIES FROM NORTHAMPTON IMMIGRANT DAYS (from Anna Kresh)
After receiving mail from Frank Teklits, (mentioning I should comment re
Northampton as a former "Konkrete Kid") I realized you may be interested in
part of the mail I sent to several of my family members who are tracking my
research into the Tanczos family history.

"Actually, I did not live in Northampton, though I might as well have. My
parent's first five children were born there, but I was born in Danielsville
(a little further north) after my parents moved from Northampton (where they
met and married - in Our Lady of Hungary Church-OLH) to the farm, but our
lives always centered around Northampton. Most of our relatives live/lived
there, as my sister Emma Farkas still does, and we spent much time visiting
or having visitors from there. We always had so much company on the farm
from Northampton on a Sunday afternoon that we ate in shifts -- our kitchen
(and china supply) couldn't accommodate everyone at one time. My father made
wine from grapes, dandelion, elderberries, and I don't know what else. Our
neighbor would bring and play his accordion and the men would play pinochle.
Dandelion wine was particularly potent. My father stopped making it after
one of the happy card players actually proposed marriage -- to my mother!
Pinochle is still a tradition in the family and prospective spouses of our
children amost have to pass the pinochle test before the marriage can
proceed. And, of course, all those weddings at the Hunky Hall, St. Joe's,
and the Liederkranz. My life's unfulfilled dream was to play the accordion.

Three of my siblings, who died in and around the 1918 flu epidemic, are
buried in the OLH cemetery at the end of lower Main Street in Northampton and
we spent each Nov.1st Holy Day there all day, especially the evening
ceremonies when lighted candles on all the graves and monuments lit up lower
Northampton as everyone joined in prayers and rosaries for the dead. My
Mom's summers, just like all the other Burgenlnder mothers', were spent
trying to raise the biggest and best yellow and white chrysanthemums she
could for her childrens' graves on All Saints' Day. My mother's sister,
Katharine (Schuch) Sipics of 1370 Newport Ave., just died in 1995, 3 days shy
of her 96th birthday, just a few doors up from OLH.

In Danielsville our first 8 years of schooling were in a one-room country
school with one teacher for all subjects in all 8 grades. It was actually a
rather good education, because of the constant review of what we had learned
before, and the preview of things to come, as the upper and lower grades
recited their lessons. And it couldn't have been too bad, because it spawned
my older brother, Frank, who was graduated from 8th grade at age 10 (you
could skip grades then), and Moravian College at 18 and is a retired nuclear
physicist who worked with Admiral Hyman Rickover and knew Werner von Braun.

Northampton High School days were somewhat bittersweet for me. I had a very
long commute, with the nearest bus stop being in Klecknersville, where I
caught the Bethlehem Steel workers' bus to Bath. There I met the NHS school
bus. My children claim I told them I had to walk 5 miles to school -- uphill
- both ways. I actually prayed for rain so my father couldn't work in the
fields and would be able to come pick me up.

But our childhood in the country was very Burgenland-like, with the wine
barrel setting in the cool spring in the cellar of our farmhouse where the
salami hung from the rafter; the hams and bacon smoking in the smoke house;
the accordion music under my father's grape arbor in our front yard every
weekend; my Mom making three kinds of meat for the Sunday dinner when it
seemed (at least to us who washed the dishes) like all of Northampton came to
visit; butchering-day when all my brothers came home to help and were sent
home with most of the pork or beef; cutting up the fat into cubes to make
lard; the big black iron pot of scrapple cooking over the fire in the
wash-house; the intestines my Mom cleaned and scraped for the fresh sausage
because the rest of us always cut holes into the casings; the best scrapple
in the world (into which my father used to sneak last year's wine - my
brother Robert still occasionally makes some); homemade noodles in the
chicken soup (the thinnest, finest noodles any mother ever made); crisp,
golden roast goose instead of turkey at holiday time; the apfel and kraut
strudels stretched out until it hung down over the sides of the white
tablecloth; my father's bees swarming as the hives divided; the new honey
dripping out of the honeycomb; the praying of the family Rosary -- and the
greeting of each new visitor with "Gelobt sei Jesus Christus".

And my father's profound sadness (and tears) as he took my brothers off to
the train station to fight in a war where they might face their own cousins
across the battlefield. What sad and wonderful memories! How could we feel
so Austrian and still feel so American?

The old farmhouse is now gone, but my brother Ed has built a new home in the
same spot on my parents' farm and everyone comes 'home' for a summer reunion
with as many Burgenlnder relatives as he can gather -- and we all remember
our loved ones who took that long, awful journey....Now all we need is that
button-box accordion..." Anna Tanczos Kresh.

NEMET CSENCS CHURCH RECORDS (also from Anna Kresh)
Hi All, Don't know to whom I've told what, so here's the update so far on my
study of the microfilm of Hungarian church records for Kroatisch and Deutsch
Tschantschendorf (the Tanczos, Pani, Ifkovits, Jandrisevits branches). If
I'm repeating myself, forgive me, it's either senility or fatigue from
looking at Hungarian and Latin microfilm.

The Latter Day Saints microfilm (0700693) covers the Nemet Csencs (Deutsch
Tschantschendorf) church records from 1828 to 1895 for the St. Nikolaus (Szt.
Miklos) R.C. Church where Kroatisch Tschantschendorf residents attended. I
am starting with 1895 and working my way back in time so that I can pick up
relationships better. Also the later records are on Hungarian/Latin forms
(some pre-printed) with Latin hand-written entries. Earlier years change to
Hungarian only with the earliest in a Hung. script that is going to be really
difficult. Since KT is in the district of Tobaj, along with Tudersdorf,
Punitz, and Hasendorf, we should pick up some of those folks also.

The local LDS Family History Center is keeping the film for me until 6/24,
but with renewals I may be able to keep it here for about a year. I have
been told that LDS will not sell me a copy because of their commitment at the
time of filming in Budapest on July 25,1966. Our FHC charges me 25 cents per
page to print the microfilm records and I've spent over $40 so far, so that
method may soon come to a screeching halt. It takes a lot to decipher some
of them, so it's helpful to study them at home when I have more time.

I discovered that my father had 10 brothers and sisters instead of the 4 or 5
we knew about - they were John, Joseph, Francis, Theresa, Aloysius (Louis),
Agnes, Magdalena, Maria, Gustav, Ignatius (our father), and Eleanor, in that
order (spanning 1871 through 1893. Gustav and Magdalena each lived only one
month. I haven't had a chance to get death dates on any of the others yet.
Discovered something else very interesting, though. My grandmother Anna Pani
(now the Panny branch) married John Tanczos (my grandfather) in 1870 at the
age of 21, but at that time she was listed as the widow Anna Jandrisevits.
Then I found an earlier marriage in 1865 at age 17 to Paul Jandrisevits. We
never knew about that first marriage, but it now explains the Jandrisevits
link with our family. Now I need to check for children born to the first
marriage. It may be that the Anna Tanczos, who we believe married Ignatz
Malits, was really Anna Jandrisevits, not a sister to my father, but a
half-sister. I have not yet found her baptismal record. Also, I need to
double check the above marriages to make sure I am transcribing correctly.
Another interesting note -- Joannes Tanczos was from Rehgraben, not KT as
we've always believed, and Anna Pani was from Tobajbergen. It was Paul
Jandrisevits who lived at Nr. 14 in Kroatisch Tschantschendorf (Horvat
Csencs), where Anna Pani Jandrisevits Tanczos continued to live after Paul's
death, and where the current resident Eduard Tanczos lives today. The 1992
Burgenland telephone book that I have lists 14 Tanczos in Rehgraben and only
2 in KT, and Tanzoschberg (the mountain) is closer to Rehgraben than to KT,
so it may be that future family searches will be in Rehgraben. This is all
very intriguing, to say the least.

Gerry Berghold gave me a copy of a Burgenlndische Gemeinschaft newsletter
dated May/June 1995, written by Frank J. Frey, Nutley, NJ. It is about the
1927 emigration from Deutsch Tschan. and life in the US of Franz and Theresia
(Panny?) Frey. It also contains photos of 3 Panny sisters (1923 probably in
D.T.), Franz Frey and Gustav Pany (1924 in Gssing), Franz and Theresia Frey
(1930 in Bronx), plus a 1947 Weihnachten holiday photo (5 people). My
microfilm is too early to contain their births, but should contain their
parents'. It will be challenging to get them properly connected. It appears
the Pani name was changed to Panny by the priest of Our Lady of Hungary
Church on Newport Ave. in Northampton. The earliest Pani emigrations I have
so far, as listed on the 1920 Census, are Mr/Mrs Frank Ifkovits (c. 22) and
Ida Panny (c. 19) in 1905, with Adolph Panny (21) in 1911 and his wife Anna
(18) in 1913, (age 21). Thank you, Gerry and Frank, for sharing this info
with us.

I will try to get a lot of the microfilm data transcribed onto Family Group
Sheets and maybe some of us can get together during the Bethlehem Musikfest
to sort it all out. I will concentrate on transcribing the following:
Ifkovits, Jandrisevits, Malits, Pani, Tanczos, and their spouses/children.
More later. Anna Tanczos Kresh.

TOMBSTONE NAMES OF BURGENLAND IMMIGRANT FAMILIES FROM OUR LADY OF HUNGARY
CEMETERY IN NORTHAMPTON (from Anna Kresh)
I have transcribed into an alphabetical ASCII text listing, the names and
birth/death dates that I collected during my recent day-long visit to the Our
Lady of Hungary Church cemetery in Northampton, PA. The list covers a
majority of the following 58 surnames for a total of 323 gravesites. There
are some omissions because I did not record the newer section of the
cemetery which contains the gravesites of those who were born and died in
the more recent years.
BAHNICK, BENDEKOVITS (BENDEKOVITZ), BLAUKOVITCH, DERKITS, DRAGOVITS,
DREISBACH, EBERHARDT, FARKAS, GARGER, HANDLER, HORVATH, IFKOVITS (IFKOVITZ),
JANDRISEVITS (JANDRISAVITS, JANDRISOVITS), KEGLOVITS (KEGLOWITS, KEGLOWITZ),
KERBACHER, KLUCHARICH (KLUCSARITS, KLUCSARITZ, KLUSARITS, KLUTSARITS),
KOSITS, LANG, MAIKITS, MALITS, MARAKOVITS (MIRAKOVITS), MAZUR, MIKSITS,
MILISITS, MILKOVITS (MILKOWITZ), PANY, PUSKARITZ, SCHATZ, SCHUCH, SIPICS,
SERENSITS (SZERENCSITS, SZERENSITS), STUBITS, SZOKE, TAKACS, TANCZOS,
TANZOSH, TRENKL, TRINKLE, UNGER, WINDISCH, YANDRASITZ, YANDRISEVITS
(YANDRISOVITS, YANDRISVITZ(?))

I would be happy to make data available to anyone doing research into these
names.
(newsletter continues as no.-40B)

This thread: