BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 40B dtd 30 July 1998 (edited)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 07:58:59 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 40B
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
July 30, 1998

This third section of newsletter 40 contains articles on the Presseller Name,
Charter Member Gary Portsche Trip To Burgenland, Confusing Status Terms, Two
Well Known US Burgenlanders, Riedlingsdorf & Hannersdorf War Memorial Donors,
Eltendorf War Memorial Names, Demise of Regi Magyororzag.

PRESSELLER NAME (from Betty Mische)
It appears I stirred up some interest in the Kapeller name, so now I am
taking another stab at Presseller. From 1770 it showed up in the LDS films
as Blasseller, Plasseller, Preseler etc. I find them in the Zanegg/Szolnok
area from 1770 on. I try to imagine what the name would have been at some
time before then. I know there are Presseller's in Austria, but as I do not
speak anything but English ( and sometimes that is not too good!) I cannot
communicate well with them. (Ed.- Anyone have any thoughts on this name?)

MEMBERS LEAVE FOR BURGENLAND (from Gary L. Portsche)
Well, friends, soon we leave for Europe. Son Doug, cousin Richard Mann and I
are flying to Munich where we have arranged for a car and then we'll head
straightaway for Gols, Austria. Have spoken with cousins Margaretha
Heinrich, Helga Gyorik and Maria Schrammel and have things pretty much
arranged. We will be staying at the Brunner's Pension and through Maria have
arranged with the Evangelical Pastor to copy all of the church records from
1783 up to about 1830. The LDS has the rest. Plan to make day trips to old
Ragendorf which is now in Hungary and Karlburg which is now in the Slovak
Republic. We then will head to Budapest then north to Cracow and Warsaw,
Poland thence Berlin and Dresden, Germany, Prague and back to Munich where we
plan on visiting the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial. Dachau was the
first camp established by the Nazi's. Hopefully, we will be able to pull a
lot of the records together with the additional information we glean. Have
been working on my German and am going to try to interview Frau Allacher in
Gols, she being the person who seems to know the most about the genealogy of
the area. Will Email you a report of our trip when we arrive back in the U.
S. A.

MORE ON THOSE CONFUSING STATUS TERMS (from Albert Schuch)
(Ed.-While it may seem that we're belaboring the point, I find a great deal
of interest among our members as to "just what kind of a farmer" was my
ancestor? How much land did he work, was he well off, comfortable or a
pauper? Burgenland society was very structured and the German and Hungarian
terms for status are very revealing. As a result, we continue to research the
status terms found in church and civil records).
Fritz Konigshofer writes: " the priest distinguishes between colonus
(farmer?), octavalista (farmer with or of an eights of ... a sessio?), and
operarius (day-)worker?). Anyway, the interpretation pulled from the Internet
by Joe makes very good sense."

Joseph J Jarfas writes: reply [from Hungarian news group] says: "any settler
who worked 1/8th of a basic area of land, before and around 1848, was called
that (octavalista). The writer claims the basic area was sort of undetermined
at that time."

Albert writes "with much delay, let me add my comment: I also have not read
this word before, but in view of the above information I think an
"octavalista" will have been a person with LESS than 1/8th of a sessio, hence
the word "octavalista" would be synonymous with the term "Sllner". The
territory of a village in those days was divided into the "Intravillaneum"
(areas "within the village", whereby the word village refers to the area
where the houses are built) and the "Extravillaneum" (areas "outside the
village", again, meaning outside the village "as such" (the area of the
houses)).

The "Extravillaneum" consisted of the following areas: 1) the "Urbarialwald",
the forest collectively owned by the "Urbarialgemeinde"; only as a farmer
("colonus"; owner of 1/8th of a "sessio" or more) you were a member of the
Urbarial community; 2) the "Hutweide", the pasture collectively owned by the
farmers; 3) the "Sllnerhutweide", the pasture collectively owned by the
Sllners (inhabitants who own "Extravillaneum" land, but less than 1/8th
sessio); 4) the fields and meadows owned by the individual farmers and
Sllners. As regards the term "Sllner", I have not been that clear in my
answers to Frank Teklits' questions, one of which was published in BB
Newsletter #27A (January 15, 1998): "Holden" are "So"llner", people who do
not own farming land...When I wrote that a Sllner doesn't own "farming
land", I should have added that only land amounting to a minimum of 1/8th
sessio was termed "farm" in the documents. My best regards.

TWO WELL KNOWN US BURGENLANDERS (from Albert Schuch)
--- Johnny WEISSMLLER ---
The weekly "Das Burgenland" writes on 16th Dec 1928: Is American master
swimmer Johnny WEISSMLLER a Burgenlnder? The "Vossische Zeitung" in Berlin
calls him a Swabian child from the Austrian Burgenland. Maybe his parents
emigrated before WW I from the Seewinkel.

--- Gisella LOEFFLER (Wrtherberg born artist in St. Louis) ---
The weekly "Das Burgenland" writes on 2nd June 1929: Drawings by Gisella
LOEFFLER are published in a German newspaper in St. Louis (Sunday Magazine of
the St. Louis Post Dispatch). She was born in 1900 in Wrtherberg, emigrated
to the USA with her parents at the age of 6, has graduated from a university
and already had many exhibitions. Her husband Edgar LACHER works in the
"staff of the Western Post", they have two children aged 3 and 7. [this
information already e-mailed to member Bob Loeffler]

VILLAGE WAR MEMORIALS (Gerry Berghold & Albert Schuch)
While both we in America and those in other countries honor our war dead,
Burgenlanders in every village have erected war memorials in prominent spots,
generally a small park near the Gemeinde Amt or local cemetery. These
memorials are of stone or concrete, often with metal plaques listing the dead
and missing from the two world wars. They also include the names of civilians
who died as a result of battles fought near the villages in World War II.
Showing birth and death dates they are a poignant reminder of the large
numbers of families who suffered loss. I was struck by the many family names
appearing on the memorials in my family villages. So many young men! I took
photos of each memorial and was able to link some names to my genealogy.
(I'll be publishing names and dates from some of these photos-the first from
Eltendorf is included in this section.) I was particularly moved by the name
of a distant civilian cousin who died from a Russian grenade, probably thrown
by mistake. My mental image of a terrified old man hiding in a small building
from the combat all around him while an equally terrified Russian soldier
thinks he hears an enemy soldier and lobs a grenade, is not a pretty picture.
When visiting Burgenland, look for these war memorials. They are as important
as cemeteries in locating family. Of added interest is the fact that in the
same plot with war memorials may be found tablets commemorating villagers who
emigrated during the period of greatest "Auswanderung"-emigration. These
tablets (memorials) are often the work of the Burgenlndische Gemeinschaft
and are dedicated with much pomp and ceremony. I attended one such in Kukmirn
in 1993 and was very impressed.

Frequently emigrants and villagers donated money for the erection of
memorials and their gifts were recognized in local newspapers of the period.
Albert Schuch has found some of these, has translated them and we will be
printing some in these newsletters. Notice house numbers, your families may
be listed. The first follows:

--- Riedlingsdorf War Memorial Donors ---
The weekly "Oberwarther Sonntags-Zeitung" of 8th June 1924 includes an
advertisment from the community of Riedlingsdorf, thanking their countrymen
in America for their donations for the war memorial in Riedlingsdorf. The
donors are:
Johann BRUCKNER 5127 Barriart 2 Dollar, Tobias SCHUH 6156 2 Dollar, Johann
KURTZ, Johann SCHUH, Samuel SCHADEN, Michael und Fr. KIRNBAUER 1 D. each,
Tobias SCHUH 144, Samuel WAGNER, Samuel WOMACKA 2 D. each; Michael WAGNER, 3
D.; Tobias REHBERGER # 131, Johann NEID # 82, Johann ZAPFEL # 130, Franz
ZAPFEL # 130, M. SCHMITT from Wiesfleck 2 D. each; Maria SCHADEN 0.50 D.;
Johann REHBERGER # 117, Johann und Paulina KEIPPEL 20 2 D. each; Tob. und
Ros. BAUER # 86, 5 D.; An. WETH 2 D.; Sam. HERMANN from Tauchen 1 D; Josef
KLUG from Bernstein 0.50 D.; Tobias SPIEGEL # 55, Elisabeth PIFF # 92,
Michael SCHUH # 144, HEILEMANN, Samuel FLECK # 88, 2 D. each; John ZAPFEL 1
D.; Franz KEIPPEL # 20, 2 D.; John BHM # 20, 5 D.; Tobias ZAPFEL # 21, 5 D.;
Johann HACKER 1 D.; Samuel FLECK # 126, 2 D.; Samuel HEROLD # 163, 5 D.;
Samuel ZIERMANN # 112, 2 D.; Charles FLECK, Samuel KEIPPEL # 20, Johann
PRISCHING # 88, Tobias STEGER # 54, Pauline BEIER, Johann KARNER 1 D. each;
Samuel
STEGER 2 D.; Franz BRUCKNER # 211, Johann GABRIEL # 132, Mike SCHIEBINGER 1
D. each.[already e-mailed to member Barry Keippel]

HANNERSDORF WAR MEMORIAL DONORS
This is a list of American donors for the war memorial of Hannersdorf. It was
published on 12 July 1925 in the weekly "Oberwarther Sonntags Zeitung".
The donors were living in Chicago, collectors were Adolf UNGER and Josef
HORVATH. Numbers following surnames are house numbers in Hannersdorf (showing
the house they had emigrated from, note: "geb." means "geborn" or the maiden
name). 15 Dollars: Adolf UNGER 35, Josef HORVATH 155; 10 D: Franz KORNFEIND
jun. 59, Bernhard GOSZY 22, Johann HORVATH 35, Alois KLEPITS 135, Maria
ROSIWORTH geb. REIGER 105, Theresia UNGER geb. WIEDNER 68, Georg WERDERITS
104, Anna OSWALD geb. REIGER 4, Johann GOSZY 84; 5 D: Michael WERDERITS 30,
Ferdinand JOSEF 55, Alois WERDERITS 52, Josef PERL 83, Georg JOSEF 91, Josef
GOSZY 33, Stephan HRIST 133, Theodor BESENHOFER 42, Franz KOTZ 118, Thomas
KAINZ, Johann GABRIEL 124, Franz KORNFEIND 59, Georg REIGER 79, Johann GOSZY
15, Franz REIGER 69, Josef KERGITSCH aus Neuberg, Maria TOTH geb. WIEDNER 68,
Franz GOSZY 15, Josef SCHMALZER 147, Franz HRIST 64, Johann TOMISSER 70,
Franz KORNFEIND 45, Johann KORNFEIND 87, Anna KRUTSCH geb. WERDERITS 89,
Theresia WERDERITS 89, Johann SZALAY 28, Josef SZALAY 28, Johann KORNFEIND
108, Johann WERDERITS 74, Franz WERDERITS 13, Fany GLASNER geb. WERDERITS 74,
Johann WERDERITS 74, Anna MABLING geb. KORNFEIND 87, Franz MLLNER 27, Johann
PAHR jun., Franz GOSZY 111, Jakob LOIBL, Johann ADORYAN, Johann WERDERITS
112, Johann WERDERITS 153, Alois WERDERITS 156, Josef HASZLER 100; 4 D:
Johann KLEPITS 113, Franz UNGER 101; 3 D: Alois WUKOWITS 107, Adolf JOSEF 55,
Josef WAGNER 24, Adolf KLEPITS 150, Johann HRIST 21, Josef HRIST 152, Adolf
TITZ 136, Josef BAUMGARTNER 31, Gabriel WUKITS 149, Michael SCHMALZER 147,
Johann VARGA 127, Josef STEURER 72, Theresia WERDERITS 145, Alois HRISZT 52,
Johann KLEPITS 135, Adolf DEVAY 54, Johann KORNFEIND 14, Michael WERDERITS
89, Maria STEINER geb. KLEPITSCH 113, Franz PETRAKOWITS 148, Rosina SCHOMOGYI
geb. STEURER 72, Alois SCHMALZER 147, Maria TEIFLER geb. WERDERITS 156,
Karoline JOSEF geb. SOMOGYI, Andreas WERDERITS 82; 2 D: Ccilie FRHWALD,
Andreas WERDERITS 131, Elisabeth MUHR geb. TITZ 136, Josef AUGUSTIN,
Elisabeth BAUMGARTNER geb. REIGER 69, Josef HEIDEN aus Badersdorf, Maria
GALOVITS geb. SCHMALZER 147, Franz KAPPEL 92,Josef WERDERITS 82, Franz
KORNFEIND 36, Johann UNGER 134, Franz HASZLER100, Johann SCHUCH 7, Theresia
OSWALD geb. REIGER 119, Theresia KARNER geb. WERDERITS 74, Karl HRIST 64,
Johann JUSZT, Michael KORNFEIND 148, Leo PADGASEK, Michael TAUBER 4, Anna
WERDERITS geb. OSWALD, Franz WIEDNER 70, Maria HASZLER 100, Fany HORVATH 160,
Johann WERDERITS 76, Franz WERDERITS 85, Rosa WIGGOLD geb. UNGER 125; 1 D:
Franz TRESCHLER, Peter TRESCHLER aus Miedlingsdorf, Maria SCHRANZ geb. REIGER
79, Johann KORNFEIND 36, Josef MASCHEK, Richard TTERER, Johann KUMMER, Maria
KOLLARITS geb. STEURER, Johann SCHMALZER 147, Hermann SCHOMOGYI, August
SIROLIKA (?), Maria, Josef TOTH; total: 486 Dollars.

ELTENDORF WWII MEMORIAL NAMES & DATES (District of Jennersdorf)
GEFALLENE DES 2. WELTKRIEGES
BERGHOLD Andreas 1903-1944, BERGHOLD Rudolf 1917-1944, BEUTL Eduard
1925-1944, ERNST August 1923-1944, FIEDLER Franz 1927-1945, FLAMISCH Gustave
1913-1944, GIBISER Franz 1922-1944, GIBISER Josef 1908-1943, GIGLER Franz
1903-1945, GIGLER Franz 1909-1943, GIGLER Franz 1922-1944, GIGLER Josef
1918-1940, GIGLER Josef 1924-1944, GILLY August 1918-1941, GOLLINGER Franz
1906-1944, GOLLINGER Johann 1899-1946, GRO"LLER Franz 1922-1942, GRUBER
Eduard 1923-1945, HARTL Anton 1915-1942, HEMMER Gustav 1912-1945, HEMMER
Hermann 1923-1945, HOLLER Franz 1920-1942, HOLLER Gustav 1911-1945, HOLZER
Rudolf 1913-1943, JAINDL Rudolf 1921-1941, KA"FER Gustav 1908-1944, KA"FER
Johann 1906-1944, KROPF Josef 19018-1941, LANG Josef 1918-1942, LEITGEB
Johann 1924-1944, MAYER Johann 1921-1944, NEUBAUER Josef 1920-1942,
NIKITSCHER Franz 1914-1942, NIKITSCHER Gustav 1912-1944, NIKITSCHER Johann
1914-1944, PERL Gustav 1914-1944, PETER Johann 1924-1943, PFEIFFER Julius
1904-1944, PREGLER Rudolf 1895-1942, RABEL Gustav 1905-1944, SOMMER Johann
1913-1944, STRINY Anton 1905-1945, SUPPER Franz 1909-1943, UNGER Julius
1022-1942, WEINHOFER August 1919-1944, WEINHOFER Franz 1911-1944, WEINHOFER
Franz 1920-1944, WOLKOWITSCH Josef 1921-1945, ZIEGER Josef 1901-1945.

DEMISE OF REGI MAGYORORZAG (courtesy of Gerard Stifter)
(Ed.-If like me you subscribed to the above publication and wondered whatever
happened to your subscription, you'll be interested in the following. My
apologies for the recommendation in the BB newsletter. All I can say is that
RM showed great initial promise.)

Gerard Stifter wrote: "Doug (Holmes), I would like to begin subscribing to
Regi Magyarorzag. I am a member of the Burgenland Bunch and saw a
recommendation of your publication in one of the newsletters....Also would
like to receive all back issues prior to 1998 if still available. Let me
know."

Holmes replied: " Here's the status of the newsletter and memberships. Feel
free to give this message to any in your group, too. There are currently 15
issues of the newsletter "Regi Magarorszag" (Old Hungary). The most recent
issue was sent to members who subscribed for the 1997 membership year. They
received it in March 1997. There hasn't been another issue since. Because no
one ever received the final 3 issues of 1997, I have written a final big
issue of the newsletter, with the help of several others, and am close to
completion of it. In fact, I hope to send it out this month. But I've been
saying that since November!, so if past history is any way to judge it, I
won't meet my goal. For your purposes, you can receive the 15 issues (though
#5 and #8 are out right now and must be reprinted soon - by August, I hope)
and for that you would pay $45. I would send the 13 in stock and the other
two when reprinted. Also, you can decide to receive the final issue and if
so, cost would be $10. They will all be in manila envelopes since it will be
big.That's about it.You can decide and let me know if you're still
interested. My explanation for discontinuing it will be in the final issue.
Basically, no longer the time for it. Sincerely, Doug Holmes, www.dholmes.com.

My reply: Gerard, many, many thanks for copying me although I'm very annoyed
with Doug's handling of this. I've been wondering what happened to my
subscription (like you were considering, I purchased all old issues and paid
for future ones). Many of our BB members took out subscriptions on my say so.
His first few issues had great promise. I'll be including his comments in the
next newsletter with an apology of my own. Looks like he ran out of steam!
Another instance where someone took too big a genealogical (geographical)
bite. This is the reason why I try to keep the BB confined to the Burgenland
and immediate border villages. Microcosym genealogy is what's needed -not
Macrocosym-there are enough genealogical organizations (and books) out there
that feel "German Genealogy" covers everything from St. Louis to Russia and
from Denmark to Romania! An abysmal ignorance of history and geography
coupled with monolithic detail.

This thread: