BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 41 dtd 15 Aug 1998 (edited)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 07:59:27 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 41
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
August 15, 1998
All Rights Reserved. Permission To Copy Granted If Credit Is Given.

NORTH CENTRAL BB PICNIC TODAY AT MINNEHAHA FALLS STATE PARK, MINNEAPOLIS, MN!
GREETINGS TO ALL ATTENDEES!

This first section of the 3 section newsletter features the village of
Ollersdorf (continuing the Father Leser series), articles on Sulz Bottling
Plant, Saint Elizabeth, Location of Property Records, Comment on Styrian and
Swabian Migration to Burgenland, Reasons For Migration (Parts I & II),
Austrian Flag, and a new Book Concerning German Emigration.

34) OLLERSDORF (translated by Albert Schuch) -North of Stegersbach. Consists
of the core village plus places called "Anger", "Bergen" and "Hocheck". First
mentioned in 1428 as "Araand", the village was donated to Gssing Abbey by
Count Lorenz UJLAKY in 1519. Became property of Count Franz BATTHYANY in
1524, like all villages of the Gssing domain. The Urbarium of 1693 mentions
the following families living in "Ollerstorff": STROBL (7), CSAR (4),
SAKMASTER (4), KRANCZ (4), PAISSL (BEISCHL) (4), GROFF (GRAF) (4), HOLPER
(3), MANDLER (3), PEBER (3), FENCZ (2), PAOR (BAUER) (2), PANGARTNER
(PAUMGARTNER), SINKOVICZ, HASL, BIBER, KAPPL, GARTNER, POPOFSICS, OZBALT
(OSWALD), HOANCZL, HAMER, AMUNGER. The BATTHYANY-mill is rented by Mattecz
STROBL. The Urbarium of 1750 mentions in "Baratfalva anders [= otherwise]
Ollerstorff": STROBL (8), PEISCHL (5), CSAR (3), GRAF (3), KRANTZ (3), PIBER
(2), FENCZ (2), HOLPER (2), STIMPFL, OSWALD, SAGMEISTER. All these families
live in 29 houses and own 40 horses, 14 oxen, 47 cows, 22 calfs, 39 pigs
etc., whereas the Sllner-widows: STROBL (3), HOLPER (2), GRAF, HAMER,
PEISCHL own 4 cows. Number of inhabitants: 1812: 710; 1832: 547; 1870: 772;
1930: 935 (167 houses); ca. 60 Ollersdorf-natives in America (in 1930).
Belonged to Stegersbach parish until 1870. Priests: 1871-78 Franz
BAUMGARTNER; 1878-1909 Georg PLANKY; 1909-14 Karl ECKER; 1915-16 Wilhelm KUN;
1916 Karl BRAUN; 1917-19 Aloys WALLNER; 1919-23 Lorenz TELL; 1923-26 Franz
SCHNECK; 1926-27 Franz TRANZ; 1927-28 Josef HAETINGER; 1928- Franz TRANZ
(priest in Litzelsdorf). Teachers: Matthias SVETICS (1798-1808, from
Rehgraben); Paul PLAJER (1812-18), Peter LOIBITS (1832), Josef MOLNAR (1840),
Josef WEBER (1841-42), Matthias HOBL (1849), Anton BAUER and Karl BISCHOF
(1855-57), Johann JANISCH (1866-1905), Franz SAM (1905-13), Alexander REMENYI
(1913-15), no teacher 1915-16, Aloys HAM (1916-25), Johann KAROLLUS (1925-).
Second teacher in 1930: Emmerich MATHAUSER, 117 pupils. (source: V+H Nr.
8-9/1958)

SULZ BOTTLING PLANT (from Andrew Burghardt)
Dear Hauptmann des B.B-es! Last week Steve Klucharich asked about the large
building across from the water bottling plant in Sulz: In March 1957 (!),
while I was doing my research on Bgld. I stopped in Sulz. There I met Herr
Meissinger, the owner of the spring and the estate. I presume that he was a
"lesser" member of the land-holding nobility. He had just returned from 28
years in Argentina, to take over the place, the manor house (small palace)
and spa. He was the head of a company that wanted to bottle the water and
sell it in Wien, and elsewwhere. This became "Gussinger Mineralwasser", as
some of you may know.

The manor house had been ruined by the Russian troops (who had left only a
few months before), and he believed that whatever was left was then cleaned
out by the locals! He wanted to build a resort spa out of the manor house,
but he was very short of capital. He had sold off all the estate, except for
10 joch, which was to form a kind of park around the renovated, rebuilt manor
house. That house (palace) must be what Steve saw. I'm afraid that I don't
know how far Herr Meissinger got with his plans; perhaps it IS a resort spa
now....

Ed. Note: In the recent book "Gssing im Wandel der Zeit", the manor house is
called Kastell Sulz. It was built on the ruins of an older castle in 1800 by
Count Festetic(z). It later (1857) belonged to Karl von Talosy, and then
Alfred Stein. In 1973 it was declared a national monument. It was renovated
in 1980 and was adapted for "cultural uses". The mineral water is exported to
many places under the name Gssinger Mineralwasser (GesmbH.). Production is
about 35 Million liters per year. In the past it was also called "Vitaquelle"
and "Severinquelle-Mineralwasser".

ST. ELIZABETH (ELIZABETH OF HUNGARY (from Andrew Burghardt)
A couple of weeks ago someone mentioned a church of St. Elizabeth, but didn't
know much about the saint. She was a princess, the daughter of the King of
Hungary, and is usually called Elizabeth of Hungary. At the age of 4 (!) she
was betrothed to the son of the ruler of Thuringia, Germany. She was sent to
the Wartburg, to be brought up for the position.In Germany she is usually
called Elizabeth of Thuringia.

She was a very popular countess, who organized the singing competition,
immortalized by Wagner in his opera, Tannhauser. She became most famous for
her works of charity; she was forever taking food to the poor. A legend has
it that once she was stopped on her way out of the castle, but when her
basket was uncovered it was found to contain not bread but roses. That's why
she is often shown with a basket of roses. Unfortunately, her husband died
young, and she and her children were driven out of the Wartburg by the former
count's brother. She moved to Marburg in Hesse, where she continued her
charitable work and founded a hospital. She died in Marburg, and a
magnificent Gothic church was built over her tomb, which became a center for
pilgrimages. The tomb and church are still there. (By the way, the Wartburg
is also the castle where Luther began to translate the Bible.

LOCATION OF PROPERTY RECORDS (Ed. & Albert Schuch)
<Question: Am I correct in assuming that land records (deeds and titles to
land) are kept in the village Gemeindeamt? Are some in the Bezirkamt? I had a
question and told them to write the Brgermeister c/o the village
gemeindeamt. They wanted to know if there was any record of when their
ancestor had a hotel. (I told them that kind of information might not be
released to just anyone).>

Answer: No, the land records are kept at the Bezirksgericht (in the
"Grundbuch"). Old records may have been transferred to the Landesarchiv. But
it is always a good choice to write to the Brgermeister or to the
Gemeindeamt. As far as I know, "Grundbuch"-information is open to everybody.
In this case, the Gemeindeamt may even be the better place to ask, because if
the ancestor had a hotel, he may not have owned the land (just rented the
house) and thus not be listed in the Grundbuch.

ANOTHER ORIGIN OF "TOBAJ" VILLAGE NAME (from Fritz Konigshofer)
By the way, I remember a story someone told me when I visited Burgenland at a
young age, namely, that Tobaj is derived from the shout (connected with the
appearance of an attractive woman): "Do woar a wei" (Da war ein Weib...
There, there was a woman!), leading over the years/centuries to .... tobaj. I
don't think it is a very credible story.

RESPONSE TO ALLENTOWN ARTICLE (from Frank Teklits)
I read with considerable interest your article about Allentown in the most
recent BB newsletter. Your memory is outstanding as I had long forgotten some
of the places you mentioned. My wife enjoyed reading the article as much as I
did, and she lived in the 500 block of Jordan Street. She also complimented
you on your memory. We were up visiting relatives in Stiles recently, and
they mentioned that the Saengerbund is now closed, and that the entire
neighborhood is now virtually all Hispanic. Both my wife and her sister
recalled singing and playing their violins at the 'Bund. Your comment
concerning the "Pennsylvania Dutch" was right on the money, as I recall many
a scrap with them. We were the "fordammten Krobots" to them, and there was no
love lost between us." (Frank also mentions that his translation of the
Croatian History is nearing completion.)

RESPONSE AFTER RECEIVING URL LIST (from Don Beringer)
"Dear Anna, Thanks for the information. It's going to take time to ingest
and analyze, but it should prove invaluable...thank you! After WWII our home
in Waukesha, WI. was a Mecca for arriving D.P.s: Germans, Hungarians,
Slovaks, Bohemians because my parents were products of the Austro-Hungarian
Empire, and to them all of these people were one folk sharing (if not a
common language) common food and sensibilities. Most of those that came to
our home were incredibly brave, resourceful people. In a way it is sad that
so many Americans missed experiencing these fine people who had the guts and
the vision to start all over...that so many of us hadn't the time or
inclination to listen to them...that the lessons from their experience seem
to pass on to the new waves of immigration but not to us. Perhaps what I am
trying to say is that I am grateful there are organizations such as your own
that maintain that collective consciousness so essential to a sense of
identity."

STYRIAN & SWABIAN MIGRATION TO BURGENLAND (Ed. & Albert Schuch)
Question:Your most recent Leser series in which he mentions Lutheran refugees
from Styria (Frstenfeld to Rudersdorf, Eltendorf) is the first I've seen in
print although we've always felt this to the case for the Berghold Lutheran
immigrants. Some of your other Berghold material also points this way. I
wonder if there are any other references?

Answer: Whenever I have seen this migration mentioned, the text was very
vague and very short. This subject just hasn't been researched thoroughly.
Same with Swabian immigration to villages like Hagensdorf and Luising: in a
new chronical ("Chronik zur 800 Jahrfeier (1198-1998) Heiligenbrunn, mit den
Ortsteilen Deutsch-Bieling, Hagensdorf, Heiligenbrunn, Luising und
Reinersdorf", published 1998 by the Gemeinde Heiligenbrunn, 400 Schilling) it
is mentioned that dialect and some oral history or old folk songs point in
that direction - but no attempt has been made to prove it.

Every now and then chronicals like the one I just mentioned are published. Do
you want me to send short announcements for the newsletter whenever I read of
a new one? Problem is that the books are mentioned in the local papers, but
without information on where to order them (but this will be the Gemeindeamt
in most cases) and what the cost is (varies from ca. 200 to ca. 500 Schilling
-$20-$50 each).

Once again back to the Styrian immigration to Burgenland (Hungary): one
simply has to look into the phonebooks for the villages on either side of the
border to see the relations. So many names are the same! Question is how much
of this migration was caused by the counter-reformation and how much by
"simple" economic reasons. I personally think that the latter were by far
more important.

REASONS FOR MIGRATION -PARTS I & II OF A IV PART SERIES
Adolf Knigshofer on Emigration from Poppendorf from
(Fritz Konigshofer). Gerry, I am sending you some
translations of emigration articles from Der Volksfreund. I have divided the
material into 4 e-mails. In this first installment, you find the translation
of a generic article on the reasons for emigration written by my
greatgrandfather Adolf in 1904. He got the job as teacher of the r-c school
of Poppendorf in 1898, and started to write for Der Volksfreund in 1900. His
articles provide a chronicle of life in Poppendorf and surrounding villages,
but emigration clearly was the dominant theme. This article can be placed
side by side to the one printed in an earlier BBunch newsletter, and dated
May 25, 1907. Some readers of the newsletter have attributed that latter
article to Adolf K., but as stated in the article's editorial, no such thing
can be ascertained. Indeed, my guess is that the 1907 article, signed
"Veritas" (the truth), had been written by somebody from the Strem/Gssing
area, though perhaps also a teacher by profession. Here now is the 1904
article on emigration by Adolf:

DVF, October 22, 1904 -Some Aspects about the Emigration (by Adolf
Knigshofer)
PART I
Who emigrates? Just like matters are arranged in human life, where one ranks
low, the other higher, one higher still, and yet another the highest, there
are also several classes among the emigrants, namely: those who have nothing
to lose back at home; on the other hand those, who go far away in order to
save their possessions at home from ruin; yet others who are driven by
curiosity and by the craving for more [wealth]; and lastly those who have
reason to feel unsafe on home territory and who see an enemy in every
ordinary fellow human being.

The ones in the first of these classes are people, whether male or female,
who have no future in their homeland, who have no chance to establish their
own hearth and home, and if they manage to do so, then their home is built
upon plight and sorrow. Overseas, on foreign soil, they manage much earlier
to establish a dear home. Back at home, how many of them would otherwise
have become old bachelors or spinsters! Over there in America, where one can
create, so-to-speak, something even out of nothing, they have achieved a
pleasant prosperity for themselves, and consider us back in Europe as poor
and hungry relations.

The second class of emigrants is driven by sheer necessity; they have no
choice but to go. If they stay at home, than they face the certainty of
seeing their house or farm on the auction block. They have inherited an
already heavily burdened patrimony, have married, seen their families grow
ever larger, faced increasing expenses and a doubling of their debts, while
the savings bank, this blessed institute of the new age, knows no mercy;
mortgages and high interest rates weigh like lead on their chests and suck
the marrow out from these sorrowful men. Help is nowhere to be found; they
have to go, and leave behind their dear nexts of kin with the hope, to assist
them as much as they honestly would be able to help. Over there in the New
World, there is no work which they will shun, and they will even work at the
risk of losing their lives, whether it is over or under the ground.

At last they have managed to save their little bit, return home, but don't
know what to do first with the money; they darn and mend like a cobbler,
plugging holes here and there, and sooner than one can think, one sees them
leave home again, because their savings proved to be too little.Therefore, we
find men who went to America 1, 2, 3, 4 times before they at last achieved a
more untroubled life; however, their bodies are living proof that the
Americans have no room for loafers.

With regard to the third class of emigrants, these are the ones who indeed
have no pressing need to roam about in far away lands; however, the money
lures; the good and well-to-do parents believe if this one or that one can
earn something overseas, then why not also our boy or girl. And rightly,
Hans or Mitzi are soon ready and eager to leave, because they know that they
would arrive in the land of the golden freedom and don't need to fear
father's and mother's stick there. They go, initially write back a lot, send
once a few hundred Crowns, and then nothing gets heard from them for a long,
long time. At last a letter arrives! What does it say:

"Dear parents, Please accept my many apologies, but I couldn't do otherwise
and have married. This and that guy and gal did the same thing as well. My
little boy, Andy, is already 3 months old and looks just like you, dear
father. Mother might have much pleasure, if she could see him, etc."

A few in this class of emigrants stay just long enough until they have earned
the money for the travel back, and then return with the remark that they did
not need to work so very hard in America, as they anyway had enough for a
living at home as well. The last class of emigrants usually comprises those
who have no right concept for distinguishing between their and others'
property, and who establish a home in the wide world at others' cost. They
usually arrive abroad with a good deal of cash in their pocket.

However, love also drives many a couple over the ocean. [End of article I]

PART II
While this article was triggered by a large wave of emigrations, it contains
sentiments on general reasons for emigration.

DVF of March 16, 1907 - "Emigration," by Adolf Knigshofer

No sooner have the (most) recent emigrants from Patafalva arrived in America
than once again 10 (more) completely healthy and good men and women have set
out, without much thought and unafraid of the dangers of the far away trip,
and followed in the footsteps of the previous ones. Among them, there is
one who is leaving his home soil already for the 6th time. How come?

Nobody cares about us; always we hear that we should not emigrate, and that
we should stay here at home. Alright, we stay at home; but for God's sake,
what are we supposed to do here? Live in poverty, go hungry? Give us work
(and) food, and we shall never leave our homeland.

Hungary is rich, they say, could have many factories and thus employ many
thousand workers, but nobody does anything, and we bear no fault for having
been born poor. Most of the counts, magnates and the likes, who do have the
money and could help, instead do nothing, spend their time in Vienna, Paris,
London; the American millionaire works with us and is our friend. Here,
where we live, however, it would be necessary when you go somewhere, that you
lay down your hat already in front of the door, or don't even carry any
headgear in the first place. The most ordinary scribe deems us nonentities.
Yes indeed, we are not being helped by anybody, and, therefore, nobody should
be surprised when we often leave our homeland with sadness. The misery
drives us away, the wish to avoid seeing one's few belongings come under the
hammer.

That's how it is. How many existences (lives) would already have been ruined
in Patafalva (Poppendorf) alone, if there were no America. Many a neighbor
has extricated him or herself with bloodily earned Dollars, after their
properties had already been hanging by a hair. And the borderpolice -- they
apprehend one or the other here and there, but bring back with the caught
ones only new worries for the village; the severest measures are good for
nothing. The password is food, and again food -- which the borderpolice
cannot provide to them. In earlier times, the people worked in the harvest,
in the threshing, but machines have replaced this line of work. Previously,
people earned money with hauling; today, the railway goes into all
directions. Hence, from where are we supposed to get out bread? How to manage
the many payments, when plight and misery are daily guests at the table?

Well, this is a wake-up call to all those who amass capital upon capital, but
do not help their next (door neighbor), do not give them a leg up. Under
such circumstances, the richest country must perish. Therefore, all of you
who are sitting on your wallets, get off of them and speculate like the
American who already ventures into an enterprise with (only) a few hundred
Dollars; you can stem the emigration, save the dear homeland for the ones
tired of it; be a united people of brothers, lend your hands to the needy,
and thus allow them to reach their grave on the same piece of soil on which
their cradle once stood. This way, you will establish monuments for yourself
in the hearts of the people, which will last longer than any image cast from
metal or stone.

Only then will it be possible to change the saying of the great patriot Franz
Dek (The Sage of Hungary) from "Magyarorszg nem volt, hanem lesz" [Hungary
has not been, but will be] to "Magyarorszg nem lesz, hanem van" [Hungary
will not be, it already is]. [end of II article]

AUSTRIAN FLAG (Susan Peters and Albert Schuch)
Susan Peters recently asked: << Maybe you can answer a question for me. Hap
and I went shopping last night for Austrian and Hungarian flags. They had
two kinds of Austrian flags. One had a bird on it and one didn't. Why two?
Which is the official flag? >>

Albert Schuch writes: <<Thought you'd be interested in my answer: The one
with the bird (eagle) in it is the official flag of the Austrian government
and all its representatives (like embassies etc.). You will probably be
surprised to hear that Austrian law forbids private usage of this type of
flag! But very few Austrians know of this law, and those who know usually do
not care. It is a strange law after all, isn't it?. (This eagle is the
Austrian national coat of arms.) The flag without the eagle is the standard
Austrian flag (Ed. note: three equal horizontal stripes-red-white-red. The
eagle on the coat of arms in the center of the flag faces left, one claw
holds a sickle, the other a hammer. Broken chains are attached to the claws.
The eagle's head bears a crown of three pediments and his chest contains a
shield of horizontal stripes same as the flag. This heraldic eagle has one
head, the Habsburg has two looking left and right as does the Russian
Romanov. The Prussian Hohenzollerns also use a one headed eagle which has
empty claws. I personally fly the eagle flag on Austrian holidays, as well as
the American, Hungarian and Burgenland flags at other times).

BOOK CONCERNING GERMAN EMIGRATION (from Bob Schatz)
(Ed. Note: many of us, myself included, also have an interest in Pennsylvaia
German genealogy, having married into eastern Pennsylvania families who stem
from the so called Pennsylvania Dutch. These people migrated mostly from the
Palatinate (Rhein-Hesse-Bavaria) through the port of Philadelphia during the
period 1715-1815. It's also interesting that this was about the same time
other Germanic peoples were migrating to Hungary. I guess it's the luck of
the draw as to whether your ancestors are Burgenlnders or Pennylvania German
or both!) Bob Schatz writes:

"I'm writing today because of a book I've just started to read which may be
of some interest to you also. The title is Hopeful Journeys: German
Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America, 1717-1775
by Aaron S. Fogleman, published by the University of Pennsylvania Press in
1996.

I started reading it because of my research in Pennsylvania-German genealogy,
but discovered that the first few chapters of the book deal primarily with
the European conditions which sparked German migration from the southwest
(Rhineland, Baden, Schwabia, Wurttemburg) in the 18th century. These
conditions sparked simultaneous immigration to America AND to Eastern Europe.
The author claims that in fact there was more migration to Eastern Europe
than to America, and often mentions Hungary. I thought of you because I
remember you writing that you believe that your Burgenland ancestors may have
come from the southwest area of Germany in the 18th century. The
bibliography is extensive, and contains a few sources which seem to be
complete compilations of immigration papers from the territories in the
southwest. Perhaps if you can access these compilations, you just might find
papers for a Berghold family moving to Hungary sometime in the 18th century.

The author explores a bit of the psychology involved in the choice of
destination, but it seems that moving to Eastern Europe was less expensive
and a more "known" commodity, even though America promised much greater
personal freedom. Interestingly, the author quotes an immigrant's letter
saying that the settlers "in this country live like nobles" (which is
someting I had written in one of my early emails to you!). I hope this may be
of use to you!"
(end of section one, BB news continued as no. 41A)

This thread: