BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 41B dtd 15 Aug 1998 (edited)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 08:00:05 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 41B
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
August 15, 1998
All Rights Reserved. Permission To Copy Granted If Credit Is Given.

This third section of the 3 section newsletter features articles on
Emigration Papers, Hamburg Ship List Search, Alexander Berghold's "Land und
Leute", Bremen Port of Departure, Mail From Eisenstadt, Metric Conversions,
Germanfest 1998, Dialect Geography, and Mail From a New Member.

EMIGRATION PAPERS (from Roman Paul Weber & Albert Schuch)
Roman writes: << When my grandfather, Paul Weber left Steinbach and
Burgenland with his wife Katalin and my father, Ferenez and daughters, in
1903, could he just pack up and leave? Or, did the Hungarian government
require that he had to fill out documents or otherwise inform them, in
writing, that he and listed dependents were leaving to emigrate to America,
when going, property owned and how disposed of, and such? If they had to
register when they were departing the country, would such a register record
exist today someplace? Budapest? >>

Albert answers: This is a good question.There is no doubt that some emigrants
indeed did just pack up and leave. But this was illegal and they would have
had to have had special reasons to do so, like avoiding the draft (military
service lasted for 3 years, had lasted for 12 years until some time in the
19th century), imprisonment, paying for children etc.

I know that they had to apply for permission to emigrate at the k.u.k.
Bezirkskommissariat in the 1850ies (see an article written by Hans PAUL which
I translated for a previous BB newsletter). Later on probably they had to
register at the Bezirkshauptmannschaft. (both meaning district
administration). After the "creation" of Burgenland our territory belonged to
Austria. Emigration was then observed and registered by the "Wanderungsamt"
(migration office) in Vienna. They compiled and published monthly emigration
statistics. I think that the Wanderungsamt received all ship passenger lists.

I don't know whether the Hungarian archives still keep material on the
registration of emigrants for the time ca. 1860-1920 (the PAUL-article proves
existence for the 1850' s; source is the archive in Sopron) but it is
possible. If so, I'd guess that the documents are in the Comitat-archives
(would be in Sopron for Bubendorf area).

HAMBURG SHIP LIST SEARCH (from Giles Gerken)
Wanted to remark that even tho I paid $35 back in '70s to have search made
for May-July 1875 ship list from Hamburg was told names were not there. So I
looked for years at all other possibilities. Finally in exasperation
decided to search Hamburg lists myself. After only 15 minutes, I found all
the ancestors listed plainly. So don't take the word of some of these
search places is what I want to pass on to members. My ancestors left
Hamburg 26 May 1875 for New York on Ship (Schiffe) GELLERT sailing under
"Deutscher" flag. I was quite elated with the find & made copies. Only
problem now is to decipher village name in "Ungarn" (Hungary) from which they
left. Seems to have about 14 letters looks something like -lll-enemerein.
If anyone has any idea I would appreciate, otherwise will send copy to some
Hungarian friends.

ALEXANDER BERGHOLD, "LAND und LEUTE"; BREMEN PORT OF DEPARTURE (by Gerry
Berghold)
Previous newsletters have mentioned Father Alexander Berghold, missionary to
Minnesota in the 1880's. He built a number of Catholic parishes and was an
author and poet of some note. He came from Styria in the vicinity of Graz and
returned there when he retired. He died at the end of WWI. While I have yet
to link to this particular Berghold (since he comes from the region from
which I believe my people migrated to the Burgenland pre 1690, I'm certain
we're from the same tree), I'm fascinated by his life. A correspondent (James
Seifert, DDS) is involved with raising a memorial to him in his former parish
in New Ulm and Fritz Knigshofer and Albert Schuch have helped to uncover
more facts concerning his life. I recently received a copy of Berghold's book
"Land & Leute" written in 1891. It's a compilation of his travels in the US,
Europe and the Near East. A lengthy vacation after, as he writes, "Finally,
after sixteen years of unbroken toil, I am able to take a vacation journey".

Included with the book is a table of "Short Travel Routes". It appears to be
an advertisement for the North German Lloyd Steamship Line. It advertises "a
little less than nine (possibly six or seven days) Bremen to New York
leaving every Wednesday and Sunday evening (1890-91). It mentions that
passengers from Austria can travel as quickly from Bremen as they can from
Hamburg (obviously a shot at their competitor HAPAG (Hamburg American Packet
AG). It also lists the travel time from Bremen to Wien as 27 hours, and the
mileage from New York to various American cities.

NEWSLETTER COMMENT (from Edward Wolf)
Just finished "printing" my copy of BB News #39B. I was really pleased that
Tom Glatz sent you a copy of the cookbook compiled by the Jolly Burgenlander
Social Club (Chicago). This cookbook project was undertaken by the club
while my wife, Sharon Wolf was president of the group. I still remember how
we talked about the wonderful recipes that would be lost forever once the
emigrants from Burgenland passed on and what a great idea it would be to
compile some of the recipes in book form. All the members worked together
and we eventually placed an order for 500 copies of the book. I might add
that some of the members were certain that we could never sell that many, but
we prevailed and the 500 copies went so fast that we had to place another
order. We ended up selling over 2,000 copies and the project was a great
success. Keep up the good work.

MAIL FROM EISENSTADT (from Gerhard Lang)
All the best greetings from Austria. A lot of my ancestral studies went to
sleep at the moment due to other urgent jobs which I have to do. At the
moment I'm working on the annual newspaper of my "Musikverein Freistadt
Rust". Each year in July and August we have "Gaestekonzerte" every Friday,
where we play entertainment music for the visitors of Rust - marches, polkas,
waltzes and parodies on famous music-groups (as the "Zillertaler
Schuerzenjaeger" or last year I made a parody-text on the famous "Wolgalied"
out of the operetta "The Zarewitsch" and acted as Ivan Rebroff, a famous
German singer of Russian folk-songs; this year we plan to make a parody on
"The three Tenors" - Pavarotti, Domingo and Carreras).

A lot of people come to see the show and hear our music, often visitors plan
their holidays at the time of the concerts. At Rust's "Seehof", a beautiful
yard with arcades and chestnut-trees in, we put up tables and benches to sit
and visitors can enjoy "Spritzer" (wine mixed with soda- or mineral-water),
"Jubilaeumswein" (a special wine, which has been harvested in the year of the
celebration of our 20th anniversary) and bread with different sorts of
"Aufstrich", various spreads (e.g. "Liptauer" - made of sheep-curd, red
paprika, caraway, salt, filets of anchovies).

For these concerts we're going to look for sponsors - because there's nothing
to pay for entrance by the visitors - and therefore we try to get some extra
money for our efforts. For these sponsors we created our Newspaper, called
"Noti's News", a few years ago and it's my job to do the layout and to write
a few stories for this paper.

But I have to send a big "HOORAY" in the case of my genealogical studies: Two
months ago I found the descendants of my grand-uncle Charles Beilschmidt in
the U.S.!!! About at Easter I visited my parents at Rust and talked with my
mother about my studies, her uncle who migrated to the U.S. and that there
was no success in finding his children and grand-children. She took out an
album with old photos and an old newspaper-article telling about the 40th
wedding-anniversary of her uncle and his wife. I found out that they had a
party at their home and a list of names of the invited people was added to
that article. Once more I looked through the white pages at the Internet and
I found one name and one village which were the same as in the article. I
found a PC-programm called "Net2Phone" which allows you to make phone calls
with the Internet (don't ask me how it works, but it does!) for about the
quarter price of a "normal" call. I dialed the number I found out and had
been connected to a nice elder lady and - what shall I say - she told me that
she is not the person mentioned in the article, that was her cousin; but she
knows a nephew of my uncle and that he has an e-mail adress. A few days later
I received an e-mail from him and he told me a lot of the family of my
grand-uncle. In the meanwhile I have a lot of data concerning the U.S.-line
of our family. A daughter of my grand-uncle is still alive and I'm in contact
with a daughter of their son. Both promised to send more detailed data on
their families. So I'm happy to say that a two-year, almost hopeless search
came to a lucky end. So: don't give up, maybe due to a lucky chance you too
can cut the Gordian knot!

....I have always been looking for the BB-Newsletters and reading them. I'm
going to plan an addition to the music CD's and the Burgenland Folk-music out
of one of the last Newsletters. I hope you had a nice Fourth of July with
your family and that you found the correct mixture between beer and wine
(grin!). At the moment the "Ruster Goldene Weinwoche" takes place at my
home-town from July 24th until August 2nd. This year they have their 30'th
fest and I take part with the wind-orchestra of Rust, playing the opening
evening and two "Fruehschoppen" at the both Sundays. During the week me and
my family visit the Weinwoche as guest and enjoy the "Grillhendl" (grilled
chicken), "Bratwrste" (grilled sausages), cheese in different variations and
most of all the famous Ruster wines. Every day a music-band is playing for
enterainment and the people enjoy listening to the music, taste the famous
Rust wines at the "Rathausplatz". Maureen visited the Rathausplatz during
her vistit at Austria.

Albert told me in his last e-mail that he has to go serve the Austrian army.
I hope he'll enjoy (grin!). I'll be on Holidays from Aug. 8 to Aug. 25. For
one week I'll go to Altenmarkt (Salzburg-county) with the youth of our
wind-orchestra to spend a week of training and studying and to prepare them
for a concert where they are allowed to play with the orchestra..... The 2nd
week I'll spend at home, looking after the house in Rust, maybe there's some
time left to go to the pond of our fishing-club. I hope to hear from you
soon, best regards
--
Gerhard H. & Martina Lang ; A-7001 Eisenstadt, Austria
e-mail: ; web-site:

METRIC CONVERSIONS (from Lewis Tanzos)
(Ed. Note: -now you'll know why I changed my college major from Chemistry to
Business!) Lewis writes: Just a heads up on the cooking issue from the July
15 Burgenland Bunch news: The note from Anna Kresh (who is a relative of
mine, on the Tanczos side) mentions needing a conversion for cubic
centimetres. By definition, 1 cubic centimetre is 1 mililitre. That's how
the mililetre is defined. There's a calculator at
http://calc.entisoft.com/scripts/unitscgi.exe You start there, there's a box
that says "Convert From" above it. I entered 1cc. In "Convert To", I put
"US fl oz". It responds: Conversion Result: cubic centimeters =
0.033814022701843 fluid ounce.
It also gives: (further down, in "Sample Conversions") 1 cc = .00002565
amphora (Greek amphora), .00000101 displacement ton, .27051218 dram fluid
(fluid dram), .00002522 ephah (Israeli ephah), 8.83E-07 freight ton,
.00845351 gill, .0002097 hekat (Israeli hekat),.02254268 jigger, .00013209
methuselah, .00845351 noggin, .00007957 oil arroba (Spanish oil arroba),
.00017611 rehoboam, .00001419 strike, .06762805 tablespoon, .00563567 tea
cup, .20288414 teaspoon, .00000105 tun (English tun), .0000275 UK bushel
(British bushel), .00021997 UK gallon (British gallon), .00175975 UK pint
(British pint).

REPORT ON GERMANFEST (MINNESOTA) 1998 (from Tom Glatz)
Germanfest had wonderful food as usual. I picked up an obscure recording of
Robert Stolz conducting all Johann & Josef Strass music. It is distinctly
Stolz. It was only 10 dollars. The entertainment was disappointing because
the construction delays made a 1 1/2 hour trip from Chicago over 3 hours. We
missed a lot of the string music, which is what I was mostly interested in.
Next year we are going to look for alternative transportation, perhaps I
might even drive. The DANK bus that we took was late in picking us up. There
were 2 music groups from Austria, one from Land Salzburg, a Musikkapelle.
They were excellent, genuine, & very professional. The other from
Niederoesterreich was rather boring. We didn't hang around to hear them. The
food was good as usual. This year as Nachspeise I had Schaumtorte, which is
baked egg white on the bottom with ice cream. This is topped with lots of
whip cream & strawberries! It was delicious. Of course they had lots of other
tortes, the usual funnel cake, etc.. The Klub Oesterreich always serves our
Gulasch. Sometimes I do get this. There are great microbrewries in Milwaukee.
A good one is Sprecher. This outfit makes a lot of typical German beers like
pilsen. I indulged in one.

DIALECT GEOGRAPHY (from Tom Glatz)
Bob Strauch & I were talking not too long ago about how far into Hungary the
Heanzisch & Heideboden dialects extend. He told me the Heideboden went almost
all the way to the Donau. But the Heanzisch was really confined to the Pinka
& Raab (river) valleys. He sent me a list of all of these towns which I will
eventually forward copies to you.

NEW MEMBER WRITES (from Marlene Thuringer Bennett; )
As a new member of the Burgenland Bunch I am totally impressed & very
appreciative of all the work you and others have done in researching our
families in Austria and the former Austria- Hungary. Two of my 1st cousins &
I are taking a trip to Austria this Fall. We plan to research in Pamhagen &
Eisenstadt and will also enjoy a 10 day escorted tour of this beautiful
country, home of our grandparents who came to Iowa in 1903 and 1904, and
then eventually settled in Murray County, Minnesota. My grandparents were
Joseph Thuringer & Mary Agnes Ketter Thuringer. They were born and raised in
Pamhagen. Joseph Thuringer came to the U.S. in 1903. Mary Agnes Ketter came
one year later and they married in West Bend, Iowa. Later they moved to
Currie, Murray County, Minnesota, then to Lake Wilson, Murray County where
they lived for most of the remainder of their lives. I was born and raised
in Lake Wilson, only a few blocks from where my grandparents lived. I had a
loving, close relationship with my grandparents. Visiting their place of
birth,walking where they walked, and viewing the same scenes they saw as they
grew up promises to be one of the biggest thrills of my lifetime. Attending
the Burgenland bunch Picnic in St. Paul would be a lot of fun. I am sorry
that I am unable to attend this year. Perhaps if another is held next year I
will have an opportunity to be there. I shall make plans. I hope I will be
able to contribute new information to our Burgenland Bunch as I learn more
about how to do genealogical research. I am only beginning. Thank you for
assisting each of us in researching our family lines.

This thread: