BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 42B dtd 31 Aug 1998 (edited)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:26:55 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 42B
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
August 31, 1998
(all rights reserved)

This third section of the 3 section newsletter features a preliminary Report
of the BB Minneapolis Picnic, Health & Southern Burgenland Immigrants,
Austrian Schilling Exchange, Hannersdorf War Memorial, More Croatian
Movement, a Book About Zahling (Bezirk Jennersdorf), BB World Expansion and
Church Records.

BB PICNIC A SUCCESS (Gerry Berghold)
Hap Anderson tells us that the picnic was an unqualified success with over
forty people attending and that plans are already being considered for the
next one. A full report will be coming later. Following is the address which
I asked be delivered to those in attendance.

GREETINGS TO THE MINNEAPOLIS BRANCH OF THE BURGENLAND BUNCH!
While I'm very sorry I couldn't attend this picnic, the first Burgenland
Bunch (BB) social function, I'd like to say how pleased I am that Hap and
Susan have arranged it. The BB has grown from 8 email correspondents less
than two years ago to over 170 today. Our membership has had very little
turnover, we have lost maybe seven or eight members in our brief existence. I
like to think that we must be doing something right and filling a need. One
question that keeps popping up is "why the name Burgenland Bunch?" The
"Burgenland" is obvious, but "Bunch" in the connotation being used is poor
English at best, particularly confusing to our Austrian members. They think
in terms of a "bunch of flowers"-I won't go into that since it also implies
weeds, thorns, flower children and the like! The best I can say is that the
name had a harmonious ring to it and I'm partial to a western movie called
"The Wild Bunch". A group of people, helping themselves, helping others.

Our members are found all over the United States as well as in Canada,
Austria, Hungary, Australia and the UK. Our Burgenland research breaks into
definite patterns of north (the Seewinkel to Eisenstadt), middle (above
Oberwart-below Eisenstadt) and south (below Oberwart). Our US researchers
tend to follow the patterns of eastern US (descendants of south Burgenland
emigrants) and central US (north and middle Burgenland emigrants) and western
US (all Burgenland areas). Seems like the western descendants just continued
our ancestors' migration-so far I know of none that have ended up in the
Orient! If the migration continues maybe all of our descendants will end up
back in the Burgenland!

>From the above research patterns, it makes sense that the BB should break
into regional groups which can hold regional functions. I hope it will become
a trend. We now need an eastern and a western region. Without this sort of
growth, the BB could become unwieldy. As we get bigger, I hope to see some
more regional groups and leaders emerge. As the work load builds you may have
noticed that BB "staff" calls for help have been increasing.

I began this organization because I remembered how difficult it was for me to
get started in Burgenland genealogical research. It was a morass of
German-Hungarian village names, little geographical and historical data in
English, many archaic German, Hungarian and Latin language problems and
virtually no English speaking Austrian contacts. The LDS, the Burgenlndische
Gemeinschaft and a few visits to the homeland got me moving in the right
direction. I was also fortunate in being raised in that Burgenland
enclave-the Lehigh Valley (Allentown) of Pennsylvania. As a result, I was
very successful with my own genealogy, which also caused me to want to share
what I had found. Postings to America On Line and other server bulletin
boards then found some kindred spirits. We all owe these BB pioneers a world
of thanks. People like Hap Anderson who started and maintains the homepage
and who now, with Susan Peters' help, founds the first BB region and Albert
Schuch who solved the historical-geographical and language problems and who
finds and translates all those old records. I view both of these men as
valued personal friends although I have yet to meet them in person. There is
also Anna Kresh, who has visited with my family and has taken on the internet
URL load. Her continuous moral support has been most encouraging. Then there
are people like Mike Spahitz, Joe Gilly, Frank Teklits, Dale Knebel, Gary
Portsche, Bob Unger, Tom Glatz, Bob Schatz, Fritz Knigshofer and many others
who correspond frequently and make significant contributions to our growth.
If I haven't mentioned your name it's not because I'm not grateful for your
efforts. I just don't have the space to append the names of most of our
membership! Some of you add to our knowledge without even realizing it. Many
times, when a new member contacts me I have to dig in my files for answers
or query others-as a result my knowledge of matters Burgenlndische increases
tremendously. When it does, everyone gets copied. Sometimes copies of your
email come my way and another fact gets filed away for future reference.
Other members just lurk in the background, reading our newsletters, scanning
the homepage, sharing with relatives and friends, adding a name or note to
their genealogy on occasion and that's all right too. By their support they
enourage the more active among us to bigger and better things.

Our internet links continue to spread our message among other interested
parties. We have recently linked with WorldGenWeb and through them, with the
magnificent Roots-L genealogical organization. The Burgenlndische
Gemeinschaft and other Austrian cultural organizations are aware of our work
and speak well of it. In fact, I can safely say that we are probably now
known throughout the Burgenland, having appeared on ORF (Austrian Radio) and
having been mentioned in some Austrian publications. As more and more
Austrians and Hungarians join the net, we can expect even more foreign
exposure. We have some links with academia and some of our historical work is
helping others who are involved in pure Burgenlndische research. This is
something in which we can take great pride as it signifies the professional
quality of our work. Our message in the US has been spread both through the
internet, Heritage Quest Magazine and some evangelical work among
ethnic-American clubs. I've asked Hap and Susan to send an article about this
picnic along with a few pictures to the Burgenlndische Gemeinschaft for
inclusion in their newsletter. The BG again mentioned us in their most recent
edition.

I like to think that our courageous immigrant ancestors would have been as
proud of our efforts as we are of theirs and that our links with the
"Heimat" will continue to grow and pay dividends as we search for our
origins. I'm sure the entire organization joins me in wishing you all the
best and hoping you have a great picnic and a safe trip home. Perhaps someday
I'll be able to meet many of you. After all, we're probably cousins to some
degree! Please continue to spread the Burgenland Bunch word, alert other
Burgenland descendants of our existence and share research. A toast to all of
you "Grss Gott und sehr danke for your interest in the Burgenland Bunch".

IF YOU"RE A DESCENDANT OF A SOUTHERN BURGENLANDER YOU MAY LIVE LONGER!
(received from Fritz Knigshofer)
Fritz writes: If you receive the Washington Post, I must point you to an
op-ed that was printed in today's (Sunday Aug. 16)) edition.... The title is
"Deadly Disparities -- Americans' Widening Gap in Incomes May Be Narrowing
Our Lifespans." The op-ed is written by a James Lardner who is a writer for
U.S. News and World Report.

The story reports of research originally started in Great Britain but
meanwhile picked up in the US which has established a correlation between the
width of the gap in incomes and the average life expectancy of a community or
area. The finding is that the wider the gaps, i.e., income inequalities, the
earlier the people die, and this earlier death hits basically all classes.
The focus of the current research is to identify more direct correlations,
i.e., what particular factors in an unequal society prompt the worse
individual health in it.

I picked up the story for you because after identifying Biloxi, Miss., Las
Cruces, N.M. and Steubenville, Ohio as the nation's top samples for high
inequality/high mortality, it lists Allentown, Pa., Pittsfield, Mass., and
Milwaukee, Wis. as the other end, the good end, of the scale, with low
inequality and low mortality. You find two favorite emigration places of
South Burgenlanders among these, Milwaukee and Allentown! My own family
provided one emigrant each from Poppendorf to these two places, respectively.
I have to admit, I liked the story very much!

AUSTRIAN SCHILLING EXCHANGE (from Albert Schuch)
As an aside, a little something on Austrian banks: Today's newspaper has a
report from an Austrian who traveled to the USA. He changed 10000 Austrian
Schillings (ATS) in Vienna at an Austrian bank ("Die Erste") and received 762
Dollars. Immediately upon his arrival in New York he went to an American bank
("Chase") and again changed 10000 ATS into Dollars. Here he received 833
Dollars, that is 71 Dollars more than in Austria! Later on he did the same
thing at a small provincial bank and still received 784 Dollars! (22 Dollars
more) In case this also applies to exchanging Dollars to ATS, anyone
traveling to Austria from the USA will be better off if he changes his money
in the USA.

HANNERSDORF WAR MEMORIAL (from John J. Kornfeind)
Gerry, Thank you for your most recent set of articles. The one on the
Hannersdorf War Memorial was especially meaningful. Since I last wrote to
you I have had contact with a number of BB members. Members Pat Jahn and
Keiron Rado and I have discovered that we have common threads in our family
fabrics. With Pat and myself it is our Kornfeind ties and with Keiron and
myself it is our Haramy connection out of Markt Neuhodis. With the Article #
40B, I noted my Grandfather's Brothers Frank and John out of Haus # 36. For
Pat, she noted her grandmother Maria Kollarits geb. Steurer. I thank both
you and Albert Schuch for your efforts. They are very meaningful to us. At
the end I will place a photo taken in 1993 of the Hannersdorf War Memorial.
My Father, John L. Kornfeind is pointing and my Mother Helen E. (nee
Pospischil) Kornfeind is the photographer. The War Memorial sits at the
bottom of a bluff along the main route through Hannersdorf. At the top of
the bluff sits the Catholic Church (a portion of which you can note in the
picture) along with its cemetary. I guess I had all of these things on the
surface of my mind this weekend as my Family and I went to see Speilberg's
"Saving Private Ryan". This includes the the sacrifices of so many so we can
sit here today and have the freedoms we have!

MORE ON CROATIAN IMMIGRATION (from Frank Teklits)
The issues surrounding the Croatian immigration to Burgenland/West Hungary
are very interesting to me. Based on my research up to this point and from
what I have read from others, the mid 1500s seems to be the most likely
period, but exactly which part of Croatia they came from, where they first
settled, and their patterns of future movement and settlement in succeeding
generations is very poorly documented. This is a very interesting subject to
many people I know.

Based on my 16 month effort translating Dr. Dobrovich's text "Burgenland
Research", I'd put the Croat Migration in the late 1500's and early 1600's.
The more I read, the more I see references to the fact that the Croats from
Eberau, Szentpeterfa, etc most probably stem from the area surrounding the
Croatian city of Kostainica and or the region of Moslavina. I have a few
feelers out testing this with some folks, but no comments as yet.

AND A FINAL COMMENT (from Yvonne Lockwood)
Gerry, one note regarding "contact with Croatia" after migration. I was told
that there was horse (and cattle?) trading with southern Burgenlanders and
Croatians of today's Croatia in the 1800s, but I don't know how early this
exchange began. Oral tradition--told by 80 year olds in the 1970s who told
legends they heard about their ancestors--is my source. I'm at work without
my sources and since I don't know the villages of southern Burgenland real
well, I can't help with Croatian names. Hope others do; if not give me
another message.

ZAHLING 300 YEAR ANNIVERSARY HISTORY (editor)
BB Member Vicki Wenninger advised me of a book concerning Zahling's 300 year
anniversary which just became available. I ordered one and I'm well pleased
with it. You won't find better coverage of Zahling. I'm passing the
information on to BB members with an interest in the immediate area. Zahling,
for those who may not know is now part of Gemeinde Eltendorf, just north west
of Poppendorf (Bezirk Jennersdorf) in southern Burgenland. While it began in
1346 under the name Zollal, it became known as Zahling in 1698.

The book (150 pages, 8 1/2 X 12) which is loaded with pictures and names is
in German and is hard back with glossy paper. It can be ordered for $40 US
which includes surface mail postage. (Figure on a month for delivery).You can
airmail your order and check for 60 cents postage to: Frau Anneliese Boandl,
Zahling Nr. 1, A-7562 Zahling, Austria

While I've only given it a cursory look, I think you'll be very pleased. Lots
of current data plus a brief history. Many names, including a "then and now"
village census by house number. About 170 houses (population is now about
450. Also a number of pictures of houses "then and now". There is mention of
an older "walled city" where Zahling is now located. Destroyed 1400's(?). May
explain why Zahling was once head of the parish. Also mention of extant
Urbars, Visitations and Grundbuchs.

BB WORLD EXPANDS (from Bruce Klemens)
Here's an interesting story for you. As you'll recall, you printed the
history of Oslip that my second cousin Anna Odorfer sent me. Anyway, BEFORE
it appeared in the BB News, I get an E-mail from Burgenland. It's from
someone named Walter Leeb. Turns out that Walter is the boyfriend of Anna's
daughter Maria and he has access to E-mail at work. He says they have heard
that Anna is mentioned on the Internet somewhere but he can't find it so he
is writing me: perhaps I know. No mention is made of the BB at all.

Well, I wasn't really sure what Walter was talking about. I assumed it had
something to do with Anna's Oslip history, but since it had not yet appeared
in the BB News, how did they know about it? So I told Walter that according
to you it would appear in a couple weeks and I would send it to him when it
did. To make a long story short, a while later, Walter sends me another
E-mail written by Anna. She said her husband Alfred Odorfer (Fredi) was
doing business at his bank in Eisenstadt, and the banker asked, "Are you
related to Anna Odorfer?" Fredi replied, "She's my wife." It turns out that
the banker is Gerhard Lang who belongs to the BB, and I believe you sent him
an E-mail of the article before it appeared in the BB News. Small World! (Ed.
note: When listing new members, I copy others researching the same material.
These copies may include attachments used in subsequent newsletters. Gerhard
Lang, by the way, is a frequent Burgenland (Eisenstadt) correspondent. Story
shows the BB is being noticed in Burgenland.)

CHURCH RECORDS (Anna Kresh & Deanne Malloy)
(Ed. Note: 9 of the 34 Poll respondents received todate have never used LDS
Family History copies of Burgenland Church Records. The following my help.)
Deanne writes:> How did you get your hands on the church records? This may
really help my research. I would love to find similar records for other
churches nearby. The Gssing and Zahling areas, in particular.

Anna replies: I got the number of the microfilm from Gerry Berghold and then
I went to our local Latter Day Saints - Family History Center (LDS - FHC)
which is located at our local Mormon Church. The LDS had microfilmed the
duplicate church records at Budapest. Civil authorities permit the
Zweitschriften records (duplicates) to be microfilmed, but the Catholic
Church does not permit LDS copying of its Erstschriften (originals). See
Burgenland Bunch Newsletter No. 41A for a very good explanation of LDS COPIES
OF CATHOLIC CHURCH RECORDS by Bob Schatz. The local FHC ordered the film
from Salt Lake City for me to loan at a fee of $3.50 for the first month.
The FHC has equipment to view (and print) microfilm and fiche records, in
addition to many other resources, including computer surname searches from
their Family Search database, other software and CDs, reference books, some
census records, etc. At the end of the first month I renewed the loan - $3.50
for the second period -- but this time the loan period was for 2 months. At
the end of those 2 mos. I again renewed ($3.50- limit is 2 renewals), but the
second renewal is for an unlimited time period. I now will tell them when I
am finished with it. I think this is standard procedure for LDS film and
fiche loans. If someone else would try to loan the same film during the time
that I have it, then the LDS in Salt Lake City would simply make another copy
for the 2nd person to loan, and the copy I have would become the permanent
property of our local FHC. For example, microfilm #0700693 is for the St.
Miklos/Nikolaus Church Records (Gssing) 1828-1895 in Deutsch Tschan., which
was the parish for Catholics living in Kr. Tschan., Deutsch Tschan., Tobaj
and Tudorsdorf -- so you get 4 villages for the price of one! I got the film
number from Gerry Berghold, but your local Family History Center (FHC) can
get the number for you. (Ed.-You must know what parish your village was in).
It can also be obtained from their Family Search computer database which you
can use for surname lookups. I hope someone else is interested in one of the
villages on my film, because if they were to order this film for viewing at
their nearest FHC while I have it, my local FHC will get to keep my copy. ;-)

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, Contact
for information about the Burgenland Bunch.

This thread: