BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 45A dtd 31 Oct 1998 (edited)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:30:00 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 45A
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
October 31, 1998
(all rights reserved)

This second section of the 3 section newsletter features More on the Death of
Emil Langasch, Mail From Riedlingsdorf, US Immigrant Busy Work, Plea for
Genealogy Aids, New Austrian Genealogy Lists, Report From Chicago, Multiple
Marriages, Village of Rosenberg (Gssing), Hannersdorf - Burg Castle Ruins
and a Report from the Villages of Eltendorf and Rudersdorf.

A SHORT GERMAN LESSON-"BERG" MEANS "MOUNTAIN OR HILL"; "BURG" MEANS CASTLE OR
FORTRESS-SO BURGENLAND IS DEFINED AS CASTLE COUNTRY (We receive much email
addressed "Bergenland Bunch")

MORE ON THE DEATH OF EMIL LANGASCH-TEACHER FROM POPPENDORF
(from Fritz Knigshofer)
Ed. Note: In a previous newsletter we gave the solution to the mysterious
death of my great grandfather Emil Langasch, retired Catholic school teacher
from Poppendorf (Patafalva). Now Fritz has found another obituary. He writes:
Gerry, During my brief stay in Budapest last Friday/Saturday, I managed to
spend a few hours at the library. Among others, I called up the film of the
weekly "Szent-Gotthrd" of year 1903 to see whether it had carried an article
about the death of your great-grandfather Emil Langasch. Indeed, there was a
short article. Like most of the newspaper, it was in Hungarian, but a
Hungarian colleague provided me with a translation. This is the translated
excerpt from the issue of Szent-Gotthrd dated January 11, 1903. As you will
see, it adds some detail that did not come out in the article by my
great-grandfather Adolf Knigshofer in the Volksfreund:

"Accident. The retired teacher of Patafalva, Emil Langasch, disappeared from
home a few days ago. People were looking for him for a long time, to no
avail. Finally, on the 9th of this month, his body was picked out from the
river Raba [Raab]. It is likely that he had walked home from Szent-Gotthrd,
and on his way fell into the Lapincs [Lafnitz]. This is a reasonable
assumption, because a night guard of the silk-factory on one of those
days/nights had heard distant horrible cries for help, but was unable to
determine the direction from where the cries came from. Furthermore, the
guard could not leave his post, therefore was unable to come to the help of
the man. It is, therefore, most likely that it had been no other than
Langasch-bacsi ("uncle Langasch") who had then fallen into the water." It
appears the place of Emil's slip into the river was later found. What a
truly sad story!

MAIL FROM RIEDLINGSDORF, AUSTRIA (courtesy Barry Keippel)
From: BUNDSCHUH Heinz - KSI <>
To: "''" <>Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998.

Dear Mr.Keippel! A man from our village (Riedlingsdorf/AUSTRIA) read your
homepage a few days ago. He made copies and gave them to our family. My name
is Heinz BUNDSCHUH and Mrs.Karoline Kaipel Tunkl, the sister of your
grandfather Tobias Keippel, was my great grand mother, so we have the same
roots. My grandmother collected documents from her ancestors, so I am able to
provide you some new information about your family history:

Your great grand father Samuel Kaipel was born on 7-11-1851. His father was
Matthias Kaipel jun. (born on 11-14-1825). His mother was Elisabeth Schaden
(born on 6-25-1826). The parents of Matthias Kaipel jun. were Matthias Kaipel
sen. and Anna Steger. The parents of Elisbeth Schaden were Johann Schaden and
Sussana Unger.Your great grand mother Theresia Bruckner was born on 6-3-1855.
Her father was Johann Bruckner jun.. Her mother was Elisabeth Arthofer (born
on 3-8-1823). The parents of Johann Bruckner jun. were Johann Bruckner sen.
and Elisabeth (?). The parents of Elisabeth Arthofer were Michael Arthofer
and Anna Kaipel.

My great grand mother Karoline Kaipel Tunkl was born 1900. She died in 1982.
She and her husband Franz, who died in 1991, had eight children: Hermine, my
grandmother (died 1978 in Riedlingsdorf). Theresia (lives in
Salzburg/AUSTRIA). Franz (lives in Riedlingsdorf). Johann (died 1996 in
Riedlingsdorf). Berta (lives in Hanover/CANADA). Adolf (lives in
Hanover/CANADA). Helga (lives in Friedberg/ AUSTRIA). Paula (lives in
Riedlingsdorf Number 20, in the Kaipel residence).

I was born in 1965 in Riedlingsdorf. My family, that is my wife Martina and
my one year old son Stefan, lives in Vienna. We will go back near
Riedlingsdorf to Pinkafeld in the next year. Our new home will be finished at
that time, then my son will grow up in the neighbourhood of his grandparents.
I hope this mail includes some new information for you. If you need more
information about our country or our family, please send me a mail. Many
greetings from Austria Heinz Bundschuh. My E-mail:
Mit freundlichen Gren

US IMMIGRANT BUSY WORK (email Cameron to De Blasio)
Ed. Note: In newsletter number 44, Gertrude Schlener shared some Burgenland
memories with us. These included a description of social busy work. Now we
find that immigrants continued this work when they emigrated to the US.
Therese Cameron writes to Audrey DeBlasio: Hello Audrey. I just read the
Burgenland Bunch latest and was excited to read my e mail to you in it. Have
you read it? On the Knaus farm in Newington, Conn. I have a few more memories
to share that I remember as a kid. First, I remember the fall corn husking
in one of the barns. Family and friends came and had a great time. If you
got a red ear of corn, you could kiss anyone you wanted to kiss. For fall
harvest, many friends came, men and women, to harvest the grapes, apples,
corn, etc. It was like a big party and friends were eager to attend. When
Grossmama Knaus received a package from Austria, they were so happy to
receive a bottle of pumpkin seed oil to use in making a salad. It was green
and had a delicate flavor. Also a package of dried mushrooms to make soup.

I remember hearing about the "fedder schlichen" after dinner on cold winter
nights. Grossmama would bring a big bag of goose feathers to the kitchen
table for all her children to strip to make goose down quilts. The younger
boys would fake a sneeze and the feathers would go flying and the kids would
laugh. Grossmama would glare and continue Bible reading to them. I remember
a quilt on every bed in the five bedrooms. As a kid myself, I remember the
annual picnic we would have on the top of the hill near the apple orchard.
It would start after church and family and friends came to enjoy Uncle
Ewald's huge vat of clam chowder. We had hot dogs to roast over a fire. The
corn was in season and we roasted that too. Tony Zavez was the accordian
player and there was dancing until dark and everyone went home with very
dusty shoes. By copy of this e mail I want to say how much I enjoy the
newsletter.

A PLEA FOR MORE GENEALOGY AIDS (LISTS) (from Anna Kresh)
Ed. Note: Much material which can be of continuous value to others gets
buried in newsletter articles and email between contacts. The way to save it
and make it available to other members is to prepare lists and have someone
maintain them. Neither I nor the staff can do it all. Volunteers are
necessary. Some of the Burgenland Bunch lists already being maintained by
staff are BB Membership, BB Archives, Burgenland Villages, Burgenland Village
German-Hungarian Names, Village Districts, Moson Megye Villages, Burgenland
Emigrant Enclaves, Neusiedlersee Emigrants and Internet URL Addresses. Some
of this material is found and maintained in more than one place like the
homepage, staff FTP's and staff files. Now the staff has identified two more;
"list of occupations" and "list of causes of death". Any volunteers?

From:ARKRESH; To ; ;
CC:GBerghold, , ,

I want to thank you all for your assistance in defining these occupations.
Obviously, these meanings can change considerably over several generations.
I found the carnifex discussions particularly insteresting. How is the
compilation of a BB dictionary or glossary coming along? Has someone
accepted the task? I have now been asked for a translated list of causes of
death as listed on the various church death records. Such a list would help
me also, as I am just getting to that part of my research. Thanks, Anna

OTHER AUSTRIAN GENEALOGY LISTS & SITES
Member Charles Wardell (), host of WorldGenWeb's
Austrian Page reports the formation of a web site for Vienna. He writes:
Franz Hrazdira who will be setting up a site for Vienna. Franz lives in
Canada but he grew up in Vienna and emigrated in 1968 at the age of 23. Also,
I would like to let you know that Meinrad Pichler's Vorarlberg web site:
>http://bg-gallus.vol.at/vlbg-gen/index.htm<; is online. Try the following if
you are researching non-Burgenland Austrian villages.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~autwgw/ for Austrian Genealogy and

REPORT FROM CHICAGO (Tom Glatz)
I just thought I would write to give you an update on what is going on around
here. I rec'd a message from new member Bill Gigler with Heiligenkreuz,
Grossmuerbisch, & Pennsylvania roots. He lives in Du Page Co. of course. I
looked up these towns in the "Im Wandel Der Zeit" book and gave him some of
the details. I also sent Mr. Gigler information about the LDS. He is
fortunate to have a good LDS library where he lives.

Emma Wenzel invited me to the Austrian Day Celebration event last evening. It
was given by the Austrian Consulate by special invitation only. Austrian
Ambassador Helmut Tuerk from Washington DC & Julianna Belczak of the Austrian
American Council were there. Mrs. Belczak is also closely connected with Rot
Weiss Rot & the Oesterreicher im Ausland that I told you about previously.
They both gave very nice speeches. Emma was very kind enough to ask the
consul if she could bring me as a guest. The latest consul is of a completely
different sort than that of the previous ones. This consul also greeted
everyone at the door as they arrived. Emma right away told him about the
Burgenland Bunch & my connection to it. He seemed genuinely interested. He
asked me to send him some of the newsletters which I will do.

The best part of the evening was when I spotted Frank Schmitz from the Klub
Oesterreich in Milwaukee. You might remember me telling about how he was was
very interested in promoting more genealogy in their organization. I wrote to
him last spring offering to bring the newsletters to his home so that their
organization could display them at their table in the culture tent at
Germanfest in Milwaukee. Then he immediately proceeded to ask me if I would
be interested in manning the culture table for them! I said yes of course.
This would be wonderful for us & for the other provinces in Austria. I
haven't looked on that international web site in a while, so I don't know if
any of the other provinces are yet organized. I am certain I want to do this,
but I have to see how things go in the next year before I make a definite
commitment. It will take a lot of preparation. I will have to stay in
Milwaukee for 3 days. Thousands of people view the various organization's
tables in the culture tent. The other organizations have wonderful things
about their German speaking areas in Europe: eg, Germans from Russia, Donau
Schwaben. Klub Oesterreich's table for Austria was pitiful. Germanfest in
Milwaukee is the oldest & largest fest of this type in the world outside of
Germany.

MULTIPLE MARRIAGES (suggested by Theresa-Betty Jean Horrum)
Ed. Note: Burgenland researchers should remain alert to multiple marriges.
The incidence of death at childbirth was very high. Most births during the
period we are researching (pre 1921) took place at home, accompanied at best
by a midwife. Sanitary conditions were not good and much puerperal fever
resulted. My own Sorger great-grandfather married three times-the first two
wives died in childbirth (as did the chlid) after previous successful births.
With small children to care for, it was imperative that a new mother be found
and he soon remarried. The following question could well be one of those
cases. Betty Jean writes: "Gerry, Ron Baxter and I are trying to straighten
out a record on people that are connected to Larry Zierhut's people. We have
done this, but have found a glitsch that we need expert help on. Larry had a
number of children born to Mathias Gruidl and Barbara Unger
(Monsonszentpeter), who are the same people belonging to Ron's family and
indirectly to mine. I found all the records Larry had on his family group
sheet. About 3 of the 10 children list the mother as Barbara Sadtler instead
of Barbara Unger. All the dates of their births fit. I had a chance to go
over all this with Ron a few days ago, but, we are trying to find out if
"Sadtler" is another spelling for Unger, or perhaps it stands for "mother"?
What would the reason be for writing the mother's name on these three births
differently from the other 7 births? Ron bought a dictionary in Hungarian but
wasn't satisfied.Your help is greatly appreciated."

My Reply: Betty Jean, I'm sure that Sadtler differs from Unger. No similarity
in either German or Hungarian. Unger means "Hungarian". Sadtler comes from
Sattler (Saddler)-one who makes saddles. What comes to mind is that Mathias
may have had two wives, Barbara Sadtler dying in childbirth and Mathias
remarrying Barbara Unger. Look for the death of Sadtler around the birth of
her third child. Also look for a new marriage. Not at all uncommon. Lots of
childbirth deaths. Another possibility is that Barbara was married before and
that her husband's name was Sadtler (look for the word "witwe" or widow), but
I doubt it if Unger is shown as the father.

ROSENBERG (GSSING) -by G. Berghold
This is one of the smaller villages; too small to be listed, it has been
considered part of Gssing (ausser -Stadt) for many years. Called Rosahegy
(rose hill) in Hungarian, it is located on a hill southwest of Gssing
(across the "fischteich" or fish farm). Mentioned as early as the 17th
century (Urbar of 1635) , it is described as "ausserhalb der Mauer-outside
the walls". A small road leads from Rosenberg north to the Steingraben
-Krottendorf road and south to old route 57 at Langzeil (another Gssing
appendage). A well traveled path once descended the hill and entered Gssing
on the south side of the castle near the fish pond. In 1750, the inhabitants
were Jacob ETLER, Leutenant, Georg DES, Stallungen und Meirhoff, Georg
WEINHOFER, Hans WEBER, Hans TASCHNER, Hans NIKISCHER, Georg DRAXLER, Hans
JANDRISEVICS, Georg KUPONICS, Georg RAMWALTER, Michael WEBER, Georg
SCHREINER, Georg WALDHOFER. The "Landesaufname" (military census) of 1853
lists 28 houses and 20 barns; providing 26 men and 24 horses.

The inhabitants were "Sllner" or people without land (farms). Mostly
Germans, they were mainly craftsmen or day laborers. Some had vinyards in
what is known as the "Langzeiler Weingebirge" which stretches east to the
fields of Kleinmrbisch and west to Neustift. The Batthyany Herrschaft
Weingrten was also in this region. My own maternal grandfather's family
(SORGER) had a vinyard at Langzeil. They were also potters for at least four
generations, making roofing tiles, jugs, etc.and having a pottery which
worked into the 1920's. It has been replaced with a millwork business. Not
mentioned as 1750 inhabitants, the SORGERS moved there shortly thereafter
from Langzeil. Stephan and Georg SORGER (my 4g-grandfather) were inhabitants
of Langzeil in 1750. Their home at 225 Rosenberg was a former Gasthaus and
the pottery was in a separate building. Rosenberg has only a small chapel,
built in recent years; for worship and the inhabitants go to church in
Gssing. The first US emigrant from Rosenberg was a Pltl (POELTL), a cousin
to the Sorgers by marriage. A large family, there were many PLTLS.

Mid 1800's inhabitants & house number (taken from LDS church and civil
records):
REICHL-175, PFEIFER-178, OSEL-214, WIENHOFER-214, PLTL(POELTL)-215, 217,
KOLLER-218, MUIK-218, OSEL-219, SCHUSTER-221, HORVATH-222, TRAUCH-222,
DEUTSCH-224, WOLF-224, SORGER-225, WEBER-226, BEITL-227, DAX-228,
WEINHOFFER-229, MHL (MUEHL)-230, ROTTENSTUMER-230, WIENHOFER-230,
VUKITS-231, GERGER-232, PLTL-232, VUKITS-233, PLTL-234, BERKOVITZ-235,
PLTL-236, BAUER-270, KROBOTH, NIKLES, NIKISCHER, SCHLEDER, TRETTER.(source-
Stadterhebung Gssing-1973, Festschrift; LDS microfilm 0700699-701,
0700420-430)

HANNERSDORF - BURG CASTLE RUINS (question from John Kornfeind)
<< You mention the ruins of a castle in Hannersdorf vicinity in your response
to Gary Saurer of Fort Francis, Ontario. Do you have more information? Where
located? >>

Reply: Translating from "Der Bezirk Oberwart im Wandel der Zeit" (Kersner &
Peternell): "first mention of the village is in an Urkunde (census of
property) from the year 1406 as 'Samfolua' (Hungarian). German name
Hannersdorf comes from von 'Heinrichsdorf'...

"the catholic parish church dates from the 13th Century, part of the building
walls mixed with Roman building stones and later Gothic from the 15th
Century. About 1522 there was much damage by the Turks. During the
Reformation the church was used by Lutherans. From this period are two grave
stones of the Lutheran Counts von Rindtsmaul from the years 1649 and 1654. On
the north side of the church one finds the remains of the walls of a fortress
castle incorporating marble lions from the second Christian century (des
zweiten nach-christlichen Jahrhunderts). "
Roman ruins were frequently used for later building purposes. Much easier
than quarrying stone. I assume this "fortress castle" was a defensive work
other than the one mentioned for the village of Burg which information
follows.

The village of Burg, which along with Woppendorf is part of Katastralgemeinde
Hannersdorf obviously takes its name from fortress or castle. Burg is first
mentioned in 1244. The text used in Burgenland high school history classes
shows Burg as an "old" defensive work during the Mongol invasion. Called
"Ovar" (old fortress). The history of this village is tied in with a
fortress. Not known when they were built. There was even a late Bronze age
(1000 BC) earthen wall fort. During Roman times there was a watch tower. In
the 10th and 11th centuries a wood-earth defensive wall was built in which
remains of a settlement have been found. Various owners (Counts of Chem,
Andreas Baumkirchner, Batthyany) added to the defensive nature of the
village. Much destruction in 1489. Today only a few ground works remain. I
would guess from this that all three villages were part of a defensive border
network, although my source is silent re any "burg" in Woppendorf, speaking
only of a an earlier "villa corradi".What I'm saying is that you won't find a
castle like Gssing or some of the other prominent buildings, merely traces
of walls, etc. This region is very rich in ruins which really haven't been
studied from an archeological perspective.

REPORT FROM ELTENDORF-RUDERSDORF (by Bob Unger)
Sorry about the delay in writing. About three days before our stay in Europe
ended I came down with the flu. That, coupled with that long return flight,
plus the jet lag, made my recovery period a little longer than normal.

While in Eltendorf I did more genealogical research at the church. This time
we had a retired pastor, who could understand the old Hungarian script, help
us. During this research I found that my great, great-grandfather, Johann
Unger (1797-1857, married Theresia Winter (1794-1855). Theresia's Father was
Adam Winter, and her Mother was Maria Berghold (1769-?) I just knew that we
were related. It just took a little time to find the connection. We had such
a wonderful time in Burgenland. The high point was meeting 12 newly found
relatives. During September Burgenland celebrates the coming of the new
wine, "Heurigen," a short period when the farmers can sell wine and food
without any taxes being imposed. They call this new wine "Strum." Strum
tastes like grape juice when it goes down, but shortly thereafter it's
alcohol content gives you a real wake-up call! We celebrated our family
reunion by going to a Heurigen; a grand time was had by all.

We were truly blessed during this visit by the presence of one of my
relatives, Christine, who married one of my blood relatives. Christine was
born in New Zealand, so English is her native language. She is such a
loving, caring person. She was by our side practically all the time we were
in the Rudersdorf area. She was so proficient at translating, the
conversations just flowed. It was almost like the United Nations, immediate
translations. As a consequence we each talked freely while Christine did the
translations. That made for very friendly, free flowing conversations. What
a difference from last year, when at times we tried to communicate by
stopping after each spoken sentence, and using the dictionary for some
measure of understanding.

Things are changing in Burgenland. They now have a stop light in Rudersdorf.
They said the light was necessary because of the increased traffic to and
from Hungary. Many in the area are very much concerned about current
discussions about extending the autobahn to the Hungarian border. The new
autobahn would either go through, or be at the outskirts of Rudersdorf and
Eltendorf. Therefore if you want to see the true "old country," you had
better get there before all the pending changes.

There is also much concern about the European Union. It appears that by
Austria's participation in that group a number of new regulations are being
imposed. One consequence already is that the butcher shop in Rudersdorf
recently closed, because they either could not, or did not want to implement
new regulations.

Also, the Mirth's (Rudy Mirth-prop.Gasthaus Kirchenwirt, Eltendorf-also
Eltendorf Brgemeister) are now in the process of adding a new larger dining
section to the north side of their Gasthaus. We were told that they needed a
larger area to accommodate bigger crowds for weddings etc. We spent five days
in the Eltendorf and Rudersdorf area. Then we were off to Munich, then on to
the coast of France. My brother, who was traveling with us, served much of
his US Army military duty in La Rochelle, France, and therefore wanted to
revisit that area. Thanks for all the BB email. Wiedersehen Cousin
(continued as Newsletter No.-45B)

This thread: