BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 45B dtd 31 Oct 1998 (edited)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:30:14 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 45B
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
October 31, 1998
(all rights reserved)

This third section of the 3 section newsletter features some Procedural
Matters, Query From Non-Burgenland Researcher and Notes From Albert Schuch,
Anna Kresh, and Your Editor.

PROCEDURAL MATTERS
Ed. Note: The following email received from a new member is self explanatory
and indicates that there is some confusion as to how we operate. Let me
repeat that our internet homepage and archives are available for use and that
it is a courtesy to the staff to use those sources before requesting basic
help. I'm sorry to restrict personal contact but it's necessary with an
enlarged membership.

Our new member writes: "Thank you for the info about the county of Moson and
the history of that region. The reason that we ask these questions is that if
you already know the info, we thought that it would not be necessary for us
to learn it by looking it up in the records. Are we wrong in our thinking?
And the same thing applies to obtaining family history from other persons who
have already researched the family. Can we expect them to share whatever they
have researched with others who are also interested in the same or related
families? ....

My Reply: The entire idea of the BB is sharing and research. We furnish much
more genealogical information than we receive and have done so through the BB
for over two years and via "e" and surface mail for many years prior to that.
There is rarely "quid pro quo" as it were. The fact that the BB has grown
from 8 email correspondents to over 250 in this short period is indicative
that we're doing something right. We differ however, about "How to Share".
With over 250 members it becomes a personal task to answer basic questions
posed by each new member, repeating such data endlessly. We had hoped that
this was explained in our welcome message where we direct one to our homepage
on the net. We hope new members will avail themselves of the material we make
availble via our homepage and archives, just like going to a library, prior
to asking basic questions. We go to a lot of trouble to maintain these
internet sources for this very purpose and for those outside our group who
might have occasional reference. We're only too happy to entertain questions
if you have trouble with this approach.

When someone asks for selected member addresses it's necessary to scan
multi-page lists, cut and paste and prepare email. This can soon become old
hat. The alternative is for the inquirer to do a little work, go to our
homepage and do a little clicking looking for the data we've placed there.
Members who are researching the same areas are also copied as indicated on
the "welcome" email furnished initially. New members were formerly furnished
a member list but now that it comprises three maximum size emails, it's
mailed twice a year. This precludes overwhelming new members and cluttering
band width and archive files. It also reduces new member signup time which
still averages one hour per query. A member list was mailed to you yesterday
and you'll see the problem as you wait for it to download.

I'm puzzled by your not having access to the internet. If you're connected to
Juno as a server I believe you have automatic access to the net (albeit by
downloading software) and it's then a simple matter to query the sites in the
signature attached to the index you received. Here you can scan or download
things like member addresses, village data, etc. or read archived material.
Perhaps you do not know how to use your internet access which is almost as
simple as using email. Try it, most of our other members do. I understand
there are those who do not wish to use the net for other than email and we do
try to accomodate them within reason as has been done for you. Perhaps you
should reserve further judgement until you've had some membership experience
and the opportunity to peruse some of our newsletters and archived material.

By the way, we differ from some genealogical sites in that we do not and will
not maintain a genealogical database of names (family history). We will only
list Burgenland family names and origins where known. It is up to our members
to contact those researching similar family names and establish
communication. It is strictly up to the person contacted to determine the
family history response. I hope this clarifies our procedures. Regards, G.
Berghold

QUERY FROM NON-BURGENLAND RESEARCHER
Ed. Note: I get a number of requests from researchers who think their
villages may be in or near the Burgenland and thus hope to join our group. I
always hate to turn them away but when I do, I try to help. This one is
particularly interesting.

QUERY: From: Mike Kostiz (); Subject: Request to Join.
<< I have been doing genealogy work on my grandfather and namesake for the
last couple of years. From what I have gathered to date, I believe his
mother and father came from Austria. He and his family emigrated to this
country from Hungary, but on passenger lists they indicate that they were
German and from Austria. The spellings of the surname I have seen on
passenger lists are as follows: Kostica, Kosztica and Kosticza. The
spelling of the surname today is Kostiz. I don't know how or when it was
Americanized. The family left Barcs, Hungary in 1912 and arrived in New
York. From there they went to Easton, Pa. >>

REPLY: Barcs, Hungary is located south west of Szigetvar which is sw of Pecs,
Hungary. It is located on the former Yugoslavian border (now Serbia) just
north of Virovitica. It's a good distance east of the Burgenland which means
joining us wouldn't help you. Your area is too far from our members' areas of
research. Sorry.

I wouldn't worry about the family name changes. The "C", "Z" substitutions
occur all the time. Your name may even be a variation of Kostits (son of
Kos) which is Croatian. Barcs was part of the Austro/Hungarian Empire which
is why your data (census?) says Austrian. If your ancestors spoke German they
were colonists from Styria, Bavaria, Franconia, Schwabia or Lower Austria.
Many german speakers came to this region in the 17th and 18th centuries.
Could have been part of the large Donau-Schwabian migration started by Maria
Theresia and son Josef II to populate the border regions following the
Turkish Wars. These people rafted down the Danube and settled along the
Yugoslav border (the Banat). Your ancestor may also have spoken German as
well as Hungarian or Croatian. I'd look under Hungary-Barcs in the LDS
(Mormon) geographical index, it will give you the county name (Megye) for
Barcs. You can then look under Hungary-County Name-Barcs-Church Records and
you'll find the microfilm numbers for the Barcs baptism, marriage and death
records to find your ancestors. Barcs today has over 12000 inhabitants and a
RK church built in 1814. I have no further information. If you have trouble
reading the church records, let me know, I can help. Look in the year of your
ancestor's birth for the family name and find his parents. You can then
follow from there. Easton, PA was home to many immigrants from this area.
They worked in the cement mills. Hope this helps and good luck. Gerry Berghold

A THANK YOU FOLLOWED: Thanks for all the info! Your precise information will
give me some new leads to follow. I forwarded this info to another
individual who shares the same surname as I do. We both thank you for the
time you spent on our behalf. I have really enjoyed reading your newsletters
on the internet.

NOTE FROM BURGENLAND EDITOR ALBERT SCHUCH
Hi all! Just a short note to let you know how I am doing: 3 out of 7 weeks of
basic training are behind me, including several days "out in the countryside"
(with nice rainy weather) and some shooting. A large part of next week will
be dedicated to the preparations for the "Angelobung" (oath of allegiance;
Gerry: thanks for the translation!), which will take place on 26th October
(Austrian National Holiday) on the Heldenplatz in Vienna. I am in an infantry
unit and hope to be out of it after the basic training ends (on 13th
November), for if I have to stay, I will have to leave Vienna and serve as a
border guard for two 5-week terms (Dec-Jan and Feb-March). But this decision
is not up to me, so I'll have to wait and see. Best wishes, Albert.

NOTE FROM INTERNET EDITOR ANNA KRESH
Hi All, We got back from our 16 days in Ireland on Sunday night 10/18. It
was our 3rd trip there and as usual Rudy did a great job. He specializes in
setting up custom trips to Ireland and Scotland (he's a S.C.O.T.S. agent),
but does it as a retirement hobby - he certainly doesn't make any money at
it. :-) The trip was primarily to take good friends of ours who had never
been there before. This time we spent several days in Northern Ireland, and
since Rudy reads the Irish Times online every morning and also gets several
Irish magazines, etc., he knew what areas to avoid. We saw the Giant's
Causeway, and visited the Moravian settlement in Gracehilll (several of our
family members and our traveling companion graduated from Moravian College in
Bethlehem, PA). We breathed a sigh of relief when we crossed the border back
into the Republic of Ireland, though. It was a little disconcerting to see
the barbed wire on top of the walls around some buildings, such as the R.U.C.
(Royal Ulster Constabulary) police stations. Actually, the people were very
nice there and the scenery is absolutely beautiful. We also took a ferry out
to the Aran Islands for the first time. Mostly, we stayed at bed and
breakfast homes, but splurged with 2 days at Renvyle House Hotel, a converted
manor home which was really a treat. I would highly recommend it.

So now I'm sorting through about 250 email messages. I've sent out the URL
listings to the new members that joined since we left (Wow, are we
growing!!), but in 3 weeks I'll bet lots are no longer valid. Oh well...My
laptop (for genealogy) is now successfully networked to my desktop. It was a
real chore, but will be worth it. We got a Gateway Solo Pentium II 266 Mhz,
with 129 Mb memory, and 8 Gb hard drive, a DVD drive, 56K modem, and
infra-red color printer. So now we'll be eating hot dogs for a while...Back
to work...

NOTE FROM YOUR EDITOR
Vacation is over! Time to return to work! Had a great time in Tuscany, but 22
hours portal to portal is just too much of a trip for an old retiree like me.
My body doesn't know what time it is. No lost luggage however and the 767 is
a little more comfortable than the 747. The hotel in Pienza was a little
jewel, family owned and operated with a kitchen serving Tuscan specialties.
Located a short walk from the 15th Century town gate. The 1998 Tuscan vintage
is supposed to be the best of the century. Big powerful wines. Will need five
years or more to be drinkable, many more to mature. The Brunello from the
Pienza area and the Vino Nobile from Montepulciano are wines to look for. Dry
summer with recent rain. Olives are small.

Italy is doing just fine albeit the government fell again. Florence is wall
to wall people and Rome is auto gridlock. Perugia, Sienna and Assisi are
little gems sitting on their Etruscan ruins. I'm full of good wine, peccorino
cheese, bread, pastry, expresso, pasta, grappa, truffles, chocolate, olives,
pears, grapes, gellato and other, but we walked enough to keep the weight
down.

Saw some genealogical murals in churches going back to Adam. Also a palace
library (Piccolomini-Pope Pio II) with leather bound genealogical family
histories that covered a whole wall! Some churches had lists of parishioners
dating to the 1700's framed and hung. Nice to be home and much email to be
answered. The BB office is open for business.

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, Contact
for information about the Burgenland Bunch.

This thread: