BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 46A dtd 15 Nov 1998 (edited)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 07:37:50 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 46A
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
November 15, 1998
(all rights reserved)

"Wenn Sie die Familie Namen zu dein Enkel-Kindern geben, Denn wollen Sie und
dein Vorfahren im Herz und Errinerung leben."
(translation shown on last page)

This second section of the 3 section newsletter features Names from the War
Memorial in Pamhagen and My Guide to Publishing a Burgenland Genealogy.

PAMHAGEN WAR MEMORIALS (from James Weinzatl)
James Weinzatl writes: "Here are the Pamhagen (northern Burgenland) names
from the war memorials, thanks to Marlene Thuringer-Bennett who completed the
list that I had started. Some of the names we had to guess the spelling of,
as through the years they have worn off and moss has over taken them.
Perhaps you can use them for future BB newsletters. " (Ed. Note-So many
casualties from a village of less than 2000 people! On this Veteran's Day I
can not help but wonder how many of their immigrant relatives or descendants
are listed on memorials here in the United States. The total Pamhagen
butcher's bill as it were.)

WAR MEMORIAL IN PAMHAGEN
WW II 1939-1945 GEFALLENE (Killed in action)
ANDERT, ANDREAS 1920-1942
ANDERT, JOHANN1922-1945
ANDERT, LEOPOLD1921-1942
ANDERT, MATTHIAS1920-1942
ANDERT, MICHAEL 1895-1945
ANDERT, NICOLAUS1907-1943
CSIDA, JOHANN1902-1944
CSIDA, JOSEPH1924-1944
CZITHEI? STEFAN1914-1943
DEUTSCH, ANTON1913-1941
DEUTSCH, JOSEPH1922-1941
FLEISHHAKER, JOSEPH1924-1944
GAZIS, KARL 1923-1943
GOPFRICH, GOTTFRIED1922-1943
GROTH, JOHANN1921-1943
GYURIE, JOSEF1914-1939
HAUSER, HEINREICH1924-1944
HAUSER, JOSEF1918-1941
HORVATH, GERHARD1918-1943
HORVATH, MATHAIS1919-1945
KANDELSDORFER, JOHANN1922-1945
KIERIEN, JOHANN1924-1943
KOLENDORFER, NIKOL1913-1942
KOPPI, JOHANN1901-1944
KOPPI, JOSEPH1926-1944
KURITKA, KARL1919-1945
LEIER, GEORGE1914-1942
LEIER, MATTHIAS1921-1945
LEYER, STEFAN1917-1941
LUTMANSSBERGER, ANT1924-1943
LUTMANNSBERGER, LEOPOLD1921-1945
MICHLITS, FRANZ1927-1944
ANDERT, FRANZ1909-1944
ANDERT, FRANZ1921-1945
ANDERT, JOHANN1917-1944
BALSI, MICHAEL1923-1942
BAUER, JOHANN1923-1942
BIRSCHITZHY, GEORGE1919-1941
BIRSCHITZKY, ANTON M.1923-1943
CSIDA, KARL 1908-1943
DEUTSCH, JOSEF1917-1944
EFFENBERGER, STEF.1915-1944
FLEISCHHACKER, JOHN1924-1943
GELBMANN, MATTHIAS1908-1943
GROTH, ADOLF1899-1945
HAUSER, LEOPOLD1922-1942
HESCH, JOHANN1911-1945
HESCH, JOSEF1915-1942
HESCH, GEORGES1921-1944
HORVATH, JULUIS1907-1944
KANDELSDORFER, ANT.1926-1945
KAINZ, JOSEF 1920-1944
KOPPI, ANTON 1924-1945
KOPPI, JOHANN1912-1944
KIERIEN, MICHAEL1921-1945
MEINZENRIEDEC, MICHAEL1911-1945
NEMITH, JOSEF1911-1945
NEMITH, MICHAEL1921-1942
NORVARMJOISKY, FRANTZ1924-1943
OPITZ, GEORGE1915-1944
OSZE, JOHANN1922-1944
PATSCH, JOHANN1910-1945
PFALZ, ALOIS 1921-1941
PINGITZER, GEORGE1924-1943
POETL, FRANZ 1929-1943
PREISZ, MICHAEL1906-1947
SZALAI, GEORGE1918-1942
SCHNEIDER, JOSEF1907-1944
STEINHOFFER, JOHANN1924-1943
STEINHOFFER, JOHANN1924-1944
STEINHOFFER, MICHAEL1920-1941
STEINHOFFER, STEFAN1910-1943
STROMAYER, KARNELUIS 1919-1943
THELL, PETER 1918-1944
THUERINGER, FRANZ1912-1944
THUERINGER, JOHANN1909-1945
THUERINGER, JOSEPH1911-1944
THUERINGER, MICHAEL1923-1942
THOTH, MICHAEL1910-1941
THOTH, JULUIS 1920-1944
THOTH, JOHANN1924-1944
TSCHIDA, MICHAEL1919-1941
UNGER, JOSEF1920-1943
UNGER, MICHAEL1912-1943
VARGA, ANDREAS1912-1944
WEINZETL, GEORGE1910-1945
WEINZETL, JOSEPH1910-1945
WEINZETL, JOSEPH1924-1945

VERMISSTE: (Missing in Action)
KATZENMACHER, ANT.1911-1945
KIESTICH, JOSEF1905-1945
LEIER, ANTON 1921-1943
LEIER, JOSEF 1911-1944
LEIER, MICHAEL1920-1942
LENTSCH, STEFAN1926-1945
MICHLETS, JOSEF1910-1942
MIKOLECH, WENZEL1916-1945
PATSCH, MICHAEL1919-1943
SEPATZ, ANTON1907-1945
SUPPER, STEFAN1914-1943
SZALAI, JOSEF1907-1945
SCHWARZ, MICHAEL1921-1943
STERGY? FRANZ1921-1946
STEINER, JOSEF1908-1945
STEINHOFFER, FRANZ1926-1945
THUERINGER, JOHANN1909-1945
THUERINGER, MATH1920-1944
TSCHIDA, STEFFAN1915-1942
VARGA, JOSEF1910-1944
WEISZ, JOHANN1923-1943
TROTH, JOSEF 1924-1944

IN DER HEIMAT VERSTORBEN (Died at home-civilian casualties or of war related
wounds, etc.)
CSIDA, MICHAEL1874-1945
FRANEK, STEFAN1920-1947
GELBMANN, FRANZ1934-1945
GOPFRICH, MATTH.1926-1947
HODASCH, FRANZ1914-1940
JANISCH, JOHANN1902-1956
KLEIN, MICHAEL1903-1944
LUTMANNSBERGER, LEOPOLD1899-1953
MICHLITS, NIKOLAUS1904-1940
MOLNAR, MATTHIAS1905-1956
PATSCH, JOSEF1911-1954
STEINER, MICHAEL1918-1951
STRANTZ, NIKOLAUS1931-1949
THUERINGER, ELISAB1925-1945
UNGER, MICHAEL1903-1949

WAR MEMORIAL IN PAMHAGEN AUSTRIA - WORLD WAR I 1914-1918
Georg Lutmannsberger, Michael Patriach, Anton Unger, Josef Unger, Rudolf
Wagner, Brothers Anton & Johann Bleick, Anton Ratiemacher, Anton Bauer,
Joseph Lentsch, Nicolaus Bauer, Brothers Martin II -Michael Bauer, Franz
Tschida, Johann Unger, Johann Leier, Martin Andert, Michael Unger, Johann
Sialay, Franz Muth, Johann Koppi, Julius Fleischhacker, George Kierien,
Joseph Gopfrich, Jolef Horwath, George Horwath, Michael Bleick, Johann
Kanitz, Alexander Troth, Franz Klein, Jolef Troth, Brothers Anton & Johanne
Egger, Franz Kierien, J? Finder (unable to read), Jolif Kanitz, Frans
Steiner, Mathais Steinhofer, Johann Thell, Anton Lentsch, Frans Molnar, Franz
Koppi, Michael Klein, Johann Thueringer, Johann Andert

Missing:
Franz Andert, Jolef Unger, Johann Strantz
Erected - 1923 (Listed in the same order as they appear on the monument)

MY GUIDE TO PUBLISHING A BURGENLAND GENEALOGY (G. Berghold)
After you collect a good amount of data concerning your family you're going
to want to publish it in some manner. There are numerous "how to" books on
the subject and the genealogy magazines are full of ads from people who'll be
only too happy to take your data and money and send you a book in return.
That's the easy way, but the results might not be what you really want and
the cost may be more than you're willing to pay.

When I decided it was time to put my family data into some sort of media that
my grandchildren would keep and pass on to their descendants, I realized that
I had a cat by the tail. Lists of names and dates alone were no good,
pictures were a problem, a history book would turn some people off, computers
and software are not available to all, etc. While I felt a book was the
answer, I didn't want to spend the money to produce a hard copy book for a
limited group of people (about 200).

I decided the best approach was to produce a desk top computer manuscript to
be published at my local quick-copy shop. The end result would be as I wanted
it and reflect my personality. I'd have complete control of the format and
cost. The end product would be a more or less permanent record and I wouldn't
have to lean on uninterested relatives to recoup a hefty investment
(especially young people who had neither interest nor funds).

I assume my readers are familiar with the many types of genealogy software
available so I won't go into what they can do. You know most software will
produce various types of reports. In my estimation, none will produce a
single report to fill all requirements. The best would be a wall chart with
notes! Much too big for a book without a lot of confusing coding. I suggest
you study all types of reports available from your software. I selected four
from mine in order to provide readers with a choice of various layers of
detail. First, from the 14 generations that then comprised my file, I
selected my great-grandparents in the main paternal line (there were 7
generations forward) as a starting point. I felt I somehow had to limit the
number of descendants. Not many people (other than genealogists) are really
interested in third and fourth cousins. Although I had full family for most
of the seven ancestor generations back from my great-grandparents (to 1690),
their sibling descendants were much too far removed to be of interest to all
readers. Anyone wanting this data could recover it from me or from the LDS
IGI file to whom I had sent it.

My procedure from this point follows:
I. I produced their (great-grandparents) ancestor chart (6 pages, prose type,
no notes or sources)-I had seven generations. This prose report as well as
others was edited to remove redundancies. (most report generators repeat what
is in your data file so village, county and state or country will be repeated
endlessly for each person, i.e. XXX Berghold, born YYYY, Poppendorf,
Burgenland, Austria, ZZZ Berghold, born YYYY, Poppendorf, Burgenland,
Austria, etc. etc. In this case Poppendorf alone, having once been
identified, would suffice.

II. I then printed their Family History Sheet (a) and one for each of their
parents (b & c). These were the only history sheets printed but included all
notes and sources for these starting families.

III. For each surviving child from (a) I produced a prose descendants' list
(many pages) with notes and index. I also produced a simple list of only
blood line descendants for those wishing to read and run. From (b & c), I
produced selected box type descendant's lists for those families still having
a presence in family villages to aid those making future "heimat visits" and
contacts with second or third cousins.

IV. Using a report generator, I next formatted an alpha list (12 pages
showing name, bd, dd, birth place, spouse or father) of all names appearing
in the reports.

This was the "genealogy" section of the book, inserted after the historical
material.

Now the fun part began:
A. Using publishing software (Print Shop Deluxe-Broderbund) I created a book
cover, a title page, and a page showing the Poppendorf "Auswanderer"
inscription (memorial text). I did not use a dedication, including it in the
forward. Experiment with different fonts and graphics to embellish your book
but be careful not to over do it. It's best to limit the number of fonts
used. Look at the format of a well published book for ideas.

B. Using my word processor I created a table of contents, a forward and an
introduction. The forward is the best place to introduce your ties to the
Burgenland. The introduction should explain what it is you're publishing,
generally where the data came from, how you've used German-Hungarian names
(in my files I use Hungarian names pre 1921-German thereafter except in the
main line which is all German), use of diacritical marks, etc.

C. Since maps are copyrighted, my wife produced two for me showing family
villages which I scanned and edited. One, in small scale, I titled Berghold
Country-South Burgenland, Austria. A quick view of the "Heimat".

D. I created a migration chart (with known dates) showing estimated and
proven family migrations (pre 1690 to present). Mine started in Bavaria-went
to Styria-Burgenland-America-Vienna-Greece-back to Bavaria-Alaska-Florida,
etc.

E. Next Austria & Burgenland History, Regional Ancient History & Geography.

F. Family towns and villages were described, German and Hungarian place names
were shown. German-Hungarian given names were listed.

G. Derivation of family names as well as their historical presence in the
villages.

H. A history of family emigration to US, including itineraries, ship data,
early census listings, early homes, jobs, churches, etc. plus a list of the
emigrants (family and neighbors, friends), their birth dates and arrival
dates.

I. The city of arrival (Allentown, PA) was covered in detail including
vignettes of the immigration years, friends and neighbors..

J. The genealogical charts were prefaced with notes concerning their
development and inserted. Graphic pages were created to separate and title
the charts.

K. An Epilogue, Illustrations (photos were affixed to pages prepared with
titles and copied), a bibliography and general index followed. The
bibliography also covered the general sources from which the genealogical
data was taken. I agonized over sources. All good genealogies should contain
them but they are voluminous and distract the reader. I decided to limit
them. They're available from me or they can be found by reference to the
general notes. If I say such and such was taken from the 1910 Northampton
census or LDS microfilm number XXX, I see no reason to quote chapter and
verse. If you have other interesting material like a passport, early letter,
naturalization paper, etc., by all means include it. All will be of interest
to future generations and it's one way to insure survival of these documents.

After an agonizing period of pagination, editing, proofreading, re-editing
and printing on high quality 20 lb. bond paper with a new printer ribbon,
the 180 page manuscript was taken to our local quick-copy shop (Fast
Impressions). They copied it, provided a heavy weight cover in color of my
choice and punched and bound it with a spiral binding and plastic front and
back cover. Copy quality was superb (in some cases even more legible than the
manuscript). Total cost for a run of approximately 100 copies was under $12
per copy (this of course will fluctuate according to copy volume, choice of
material, etc.).

Free copies were given to the LDS, local libraries and historical societies,
relatives who acted as data gatherers for their families and all of my direct
descendants. Other relatives were able to order copies at cost plus postage.
While I didn't press it, many did after seeing copies. Within a year I had to
reprint and again sold out.

This approach may not meet your needs or it may be too complex or expensive.
It's offered as a guide. If I do it over again I know I'll make some changes,
but now my descendants and relatives have a history of the Berghold family
and posterity has a source of data. I sleep better at nights thinking that my
work over the last 13 years won't be lost. By the way, I also prepared the
same sort of thing for my wife's family and distributed it at our last
reunion. A tribute to my deceased in-laws who were working on it when they
passed away.

What I've produced may not even be a "Family Genealogy". It's more of a
"Family History" and I won't debate the relative merits of each. The
historical portion may be difficult for you if you haven't studied it as many
of us have. I'd suggest using anything in the BB newsletters that might help,
all I ask is that, out of courtesy, you somewhere credit the source. The
village histories and Urbars are particularly worthy of inclusion since they
are probably the oldest mention of family names. I hope your "book", be it
history or genealogy, will be a fun project. I wrote a little
tongue-in-cheek epilogue for my wife's genealogy. It reads:

"Wenn Sie die Familie Namen zu dein Enkel-Kindern geben, Denn wollen Sie und
dein Vorfahren im Herz und Errinerung leben."

Berghold Family Proverb- "If you pass on the family names to your
grand-children, then you and your ancestors will achieve immortality in their
hearts and memories."
Continued as Newsletter No. -46B

This thread: