BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 47 dtd 30 Nov 1998 (edited)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 07:38:33 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 47
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
November 30, 1998
All Rights Reserved. Permission to Copy Granted, but Give Credit.

This first section of the 3 section newsletter features the villages of Sulz
and Rehgraben, A Pamhagen Immigration Story (Andert/Unger), and Step One -
Starting Your Burgenland Search.

44) SULZ (from the Father Leser extracts & translations by Albert Schuch)

4.5 km west of Gssing, situated in a valley. Hungarian village name was
Soskwth, Sooskuth or Soskuth 1469-1600, the German name Sulcz or Sulz
mentioned in church records since 1676. Despite the location in the vicinity
of Gssing, the village was owned by lesser noblemen for a long time. In 1599
the noblemen Adam THARNOK owned 2 houses, and 2 houses were also owned by the
noblemen Stephan THARNOK, Adam ZELES the elder, Adam ZELES the younger and
Lura ZELES. Wolfgang SALLER owned 3 houses, and so did Franz SALLER's widow.
In 1645 a few inhabitants of Sulz had to give their testimony at the courts
of law, these were: Peter DOROFICZ (80 y), Thomas DOLMANICZ (70 y) and Martin
VERHAS (76 y). The Gssing church records for 1669-1690 include the following
surnames for inhabitants of Sulz: STANGO, FUBOVICZ, ZIDARICZ, BUCHICH,
DIKLAVICH, DUIMOVICS, KOCSICS, MALECSICS, ZWITKOVICH, DAMNOVICS, TARNOK,
KULICSICS, VARGA, WIRTH, DIDOVICS, TANCSICS, MIKSICS, MAROSICS, CSEKICS,
VIDOVICS, JANDRISITS, MARCESKY, MIKLICS, PAPOVICS, MADOSICS, GRUBAVICS,
BELLARICS, TUKOVICS, PAUKOVICS, GEDOVICS, PRESTANOVICS, GERBACH. Number of
inhabitants: 1812: 223; 1832: 317; 1851: 345; 1870: 453; 1930: 471 (in 90
houses); always been a part of Gerersdorf parish. Teachers: Michael
JANDRISEVITS (1876-1908), Paul SCHUH (1908-); second teachers: Aloisia KOLLER
(1911-17), Maria GERLY (1917-19), Helene FELLNER- WINDISCH (1921-30).
(source: V+H Nr. 17-19/1958)

45) REHGRABEN

South of Gerersdorf. Croatian village names Pracsa, Prascha, Prascen, Prastya
and Praschevo in the 19th century. The Urbarium of 1750 names the following
families: ZWETICS (5), DERGOSITS (4), ZLAKLIKOVICS (2), TANCZOS (2), MIKSITS,
HUSIVITS; they had 22 sons, 17 houses, 4 horses, 13 oxen, 20 cows, 3 calfs,
18 pigs and 8 beehives. The families RIELICH, HOPIZAN, TAKACS, WUKOVICH,
KLANATZKY, KEMETER and SCHRETTNER came to Rehgraben after 1750. Matthias
SVETITS, who was born in Rehgraben, was teacher in Stinatz (5 years),
Ollersdorf (19 years) and in Stegersbach (1809-12).
Many inhabitants used to work for their landlord. After the Robot had been
abolished (1848) they went to Styria or Central Hungary as farm hands and
maid-servants, after 1900 America became the land of their desire, they
worked in the cement mills or as coachmen, saved a few thousand dollars and
returned home or stayed in America. Others emigrated to Vienna and other
cities. Today (1930) 143 natives of Rehgraben live in the USA, in Canada and
in Argentinia. The mill is owned (in 1930) by Joseph SCHRETTNER, the
brick-kiln by Josef WUKOVITS. Number of inhabitants: 1812: 271; 1832: 319;
1850: 393; 1870: 466: 1830: 480 (all Catholic); Rehgraen was a part of
Kukmirn parish until 1789, when it became a part of Gerersdorf parish. Church
built in 1925. A cemetery already existed in 1812, but only in 1906 the
inhabitants started to erect gravestones. The children went to school in
Gerersdorf, until a school house was built in Rehgraben 1862-64. Teachers:
KOLARITS; Johann ILLETICS; Alois KLUTOVATZ (8-10 years around 1871),
KOTRSITS; Albert RUISZ (1878-80); ULRICH; EISINGERITS (ca. 1883), Johann
ILLETITS (4 years); Josef KAPPEL (1899-1901); Adalbert STIFTER (ca. 1905),
Peter IZLER (1910), Karl MINAROVITS (1910-22); Desiderius DVORAK (1922), Leo
HBAUS (until 1925), Rudolf SCHNEIDER (until 1926), Franz WANESCHEK (1926-).
(source: V+H Nr. 19/1958)

AN IMMIGRATION STORY (by Gene Andert)

This is the story of the emigration of my great grandparents; Michael Andert,
born 14 Sep 1876, Pamhagen, Austria and Marie Unger, born 11 Apr 1876,
Pamhagen. I have been diligently reading the archives of the Burgenland Bunch
with great interest. I was very interested in the Notes from Giles Gerken
from Newsletter #19 discussing illegitimacy in the See Winkel area. You"ll
see it crops up in my family. Another enclave of Burgenland emigration was
South Bend, IN....I am doing an analysis right now on the Austrian/Hungarian
immigrants in South Bend in the 1900 Census. Discussion on the churches of
our immigrant ancestors is also very interesting. The early German Catholic
Church in South Bend was St Mary's on the near southwest side of town.
Burials from the parishioners of this Church are in the Catholic Cemetery on
the campus of the University of Notre Dame. Many Burgenland emigrants are
buried here, including my great grandparents, Michael Andert and Marie Unger.
Another Catholic Parish was built to serve the emigrants, with the same name
as the Allentown, PA church... Our Lady of Hungary. I remember going to many
funerals and weddings at this church as a child. Now here is the
Andert/Unger story:

Der Auswanderung von Michael Andert und Marie Unger (The Emigration of
Michael Andert and Marie Unger)

The story begins with emigration of Michael Andert and Marie Unger from
Pamhagen, Austria (Pomogy, Hungary) in 1897. Michael arrived in the United
States first, traveling from Antwerp, Belgium on the Red Star Line ship, SS
Noordland. The SS Noordland was built for the Red Star line in 1883 by Laird
Bros, Birkenhead. She was 5,212 gross tons and 400 feet long. She had one
funnel, four masts, a single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There were
accommodations for 63, 1st, 56 2nd and 500, 3rd class passengers. Michael
Andert's voyage on the SS Noordland began on September 18, 1897 at Antwerp,
Belgium. He probably arrived in Antwerp via train, possibly through Vienna,
Austria from Pamhagen (Pomogy, Hungary). The passenger manifest for this
voyage (National Archives microfilm T715-rl 6, List D, page 104, line 11)
provides the following information on Michael Andert:

Name in Full: Michael Andert
Age: 26Seaport for Landing in the U.S.: New York
Sex: MFinal Destination in the U.S.: South Bend, Ind.
Married or Single: SingleWhether having a ticket to such final
destination: Yes
Calling or Occupation: LaborerBy whom Passage Paid: Self
Able to Read: YesWhether in possession of Money: $25.00
Able to Write: YesWhether ever before in the U.S.: No
Nationality: HungarianWhether going to join a relative/who: Brother in Law,
Last Residence: Pomagyin John Fleischhacker, South Bend, Ind.

The SS Noordland arrived at New York on September 24, 1897. The migrs were
surely processed at The Barge Office at Battery Park in New York City, which
had been in operation since June of 1897 due to a fire at Ellis Island.
According to the ship manifest, Michael Andert already had passage booked to
South Bend, Indiana, so he probably left as soon after arrival inNew York,
probably via train. Michael Andert appears to have been traveling alone. But
he reportedly was traveling with a friend, Frank Kramer. The ship manifest
notes no other passengers from Pomogy or traveling to South Bend, Indiana.

Exactly 14 days after Michael Andert departed Antwerp, Marie Unger shipped
out on the SS Kensington - October 2, 1897. The SS Kensington was built in
1893 for the American Line. She was an 8,669 gross ton vessel, with a length
of 480 feet. She sported one funnel, four masts, and a twin screw and
traveled at a speed of 14 knots. There were accommodations for 100 2nd and
929, 3rd class passengers. She was transferred to the Red Star Line in 1895.

Marie Unger was traveling in a party of four, according to the SS
Kensington's Passenger Manifest (Natl. Archives microfilm T715 rl7, List H,
page 151, lines 27 to 30). In addition to Marie Unger; Johanna Warta, age
25, married; Josef Warta, no age noted and Elisabeth Czida, age 21, single
are in the party. Marie is age 21 and single. All four were listed as being
Hungarian, with the last residence Pomogan(sp?). Their destination was South
Bend, Indiana and all had passage to South Bend pre-booked. Johanna Warta was
listed as having $10.00, Elisabeth Czida, $8.00 and Marie Unger, $10.00.
Josef was noted as having $0. Johanna Warta was going to South Bend to meet
up with her husband, Lawrence Warta. Josef Warta was meeting father Lawrence
Warta. Elisabeth Czida and Marie Unger were meeting brother-in-law Lawrence
Warta. The SS Kensington docked in New York on October 12, 1897.

Six days later, in South Bend, Indiana, on October 18, 1897 Michael Andert
married Marie Unger. The marriage license states that John B. Scheier, CSC,
performed the ceremony. The records of the St. Mary's Church, South Bend, IN
note that John Tschida and Catharina Fleishhacker witnessed the marriage.
Michael is noted as being from Pamaggen(sp?), Hungary and his parents are
listed as Anton Andert and Francesca Fleischhacker. Marie Unger is also
noted as being from Pamaggen(sp?), Hungary and her parents are listed as
Francis Unger and Maria Muth. The witness, Catherine Fleischhacker, was the
wife of John Fleishhacker, according to the records of the St Mary's Church.
Recall that John Fleishhacker was the person Michael Andert listed as being
the person he was meeting in South Bend on the passenger manifest of the SS
Noordland (his brother-in-law). Thirty-five days after the wedding, on
November 22, 1897, Marie Unger Andert gave birth to a son, Michael Andert.

The 1900 US Census, for South Bend, IN (SD 13, ED 125, Sheet # 2, lines 60 to
64) lists the family of Michael Andert as follows:

714 So. Chapin St, South Bend, IN, dwelling 34, family 39:
Name:Andert, MichaelAndert, MaryAndert, JosephAndert,
Michael
Relationship: HeadWifeson
son
Birth: Sept 1876Apr 1876Mar 1896Nov
1897
Mar Status:married 2 yr.married 2 yr.single
single
# Children Born/Living:2
Birth Place: AustriaAustriaAustriaIndiana
Parents' B Pl:AustriaAustriaAustriaAustria
Yr Immigrated:189718971897

A boarder is also listed in the household, John Steinhofer, born June 1879,
who emigrated from Austria in 1900. A mystery yet to be solved pertains to
the parentage of Joseph Andert, listed as Michael and Mary's son in the 1900
census. Mary is noted as having 2 children born and 2 children living in the
1900 census. Family records indicate a daughter, Marie Andert, was born
December 1, 1899 and died December 28, 1899. Did Mary in fact have 3
children born, with only 2 left living? Mary arrived in the United States 8
months pregnant and unmarried. She was also traveling with a group of two
other women and a child, noted as Josef Warta. Was Josef Warta, in fact,
Mary's child traveling as Johanna Warta's son to reduce suspicion? Or was
Josef the son of Lawrence Warta and Marie Unger? Was Josef, Michael Andert's
son? A document issued in 1961 found in Joseph Andert's papers indicate that
he was indeed the son of Marie Unger, whose parents were Francis Unger and
Maria Muth. But no father is listed on this birth or baptismal certificate.

Michael Adolf Andert b 14 Sep 1876, Pamhagen, Austria d 15 Jul 1944 South
Bend, IN married Marie Unger on 18 Oct 1897 South Bend, IN. She was b 1 Apr
1876, Pamhagen, Austria d 25 Jun 1931. After emigration, Michael found work
almost immediately in South Bend with the Singer Sewing Machine Company,
working as a cabinet maker. He was still working for Singer in this capacity
when he died at age 67. Michael's parents were Anton Andert and Francesca
Fleischhacker. He had at least one brother, Anton, who was still alive in
1944 according to Michael's obituary. Michael was a member of the Deutscher
Fortbildings Verein. Marie Unger's parents were Francis Unger and Maria
Muth. Marie had at least 5 siblings; Johann b 1878, Frank b1880, Michael b
1883, Elizabeth b 1886 (married George Perusth), and Antonb 1893. All of
Michael's and Marie's siblings apparently stayed in Pamhagen. I have
pictures of Johann and Michael Unger and Elizabeth (Unger) and George Perusth
taken probably in the 1920s, so contact was maintained for some period of
time back to the homeland. Michael and Marie had 10 children, with 7 living
to adulthood. The oldest, Joseph Andert (my grandfather) was born in
Pamhagen in 1896 d 1978 and came with his mother, Marie Unger, to the US
when he was 18 months old. Joseph worked for the Studebaker Company from the
1919 until he retired in 1964. Studebaker closed their doors in South Bend
in 1968. Other children of Michael and Marie (Unger) Andert were; Michael b
1897 d 1905, Marie b/d 1899, John b 1901 d 1970, Anton b 1903 d 1939, Francis
b 1905 d 1995, Rose b 1907 d 1986, Herman b 1909 d 1969, Leo b/d 1912,
Frances b 1914 d 1990 and Margaret b 1916 d 1965.

At one point in time, while Joseph Andert was working at Studebaker in the
late 40's, all three of his sons worked at Studebaker as well. Studebaker
created an advertising campaign featuring families that worked for them. One
of the Ads featured my grandfather, Joseph, and his sons Joseph, Louis and
Gene (my father) and appeared as a full page in the magazines Life, Look,
Saturday Evening Post and others in 1950. I have a framed copy of this ad as
well as the complete Life magazines. Gene Andert, Kosciusko Co, IN USGenWeb
Coordinator
> http://user.ctlnet.com/gan155/kosco.htm>;
Listowner:

STEP ONE - STARTING THE SEARCH IN THE "HEIMAT"-by G. Berghold
I'm fortunate in being a Burgenland researcher who can remember talking to
his immigrant grandparents. I'd sit at the kitchen table, taking notes and
asking my Mhl-Sorger grandmother questions while she cooked some toothsome
Burgenland specialty for me. I'd ask, "Mom tell me about where you were born,
etc." "What do you know about Pop's people"-(Alois Sorger- deceased)? "What
village did the Bergholds come from-(there was an early Sorger-Berghold
divorce)?" As a result, I thought my research start would be easy. How wrong
I was! Mom told me she was born in Kleinmrbisch to Mhl -Pltl (from
Rosenberg) parents, moved to Gssing following the death of her father and
emigrated with twin sister and mother in 1907, following her brother Josef.
Names were then changed to Muehl and Poeltl in US. Her family had been small
farmers and artisans, her father was a carpenter, one grandfather was a
school teacher and an uncle was a game keeper on the Draskovitch estate from
which he sometimes brought them rabbits and wood. The Bergholds were from
Poppendorf, had a Gasthaus and were Lutherans (which information I ignored as
of little value much to my later chagrin).

Armed with all this good data and learning about LDS microfilm records, I
started looking for Burgenland family. Weeks went by. No church in
Kleinmrbisch or Rosenberg (no Rosenberg). Looked in Gssing records, lots
of Sorger-Pltls from a place called Rosahegy. Took a while to find that was
the Hungarian name for Rosenberg. No grandmother baptism found. Maybe she
wasn't baptized, highly unlikely. Looked around various villages. No luck.
Finally, months later, found a reference to Szt. Miklos (now part of
Gssing), site of a church that inhabitants of Kleinmrbisch attended before
the parish was incorporated with Gssing (1890's). There she was, her sister
and brother and her parents' marriage as well! The start of one family
thread. Likewise no church records for Poppendorf. Tried St. Gotthard. Found
two Bergholds from a place called Mhlgraben. Spent weeks tracking those
Bergholds. No links to mine. Tried Heiligenkreuz, lots of early Bergholds,
but no link to mine. What was going on? Finally found a Berghold marriage
witness from Patafalva (Hungarian for Poppendorf) who was listed as a
Lutheran! Something clicked! Checked Lutheran churches, found that Poppendorf
Lutherans went to church in Eltendorf (Okortvelyes), a couple of kms down the
road. Checked Eltendorf records, there were my Bergholds, back to 1770!
Another family thread.

These are the beginner's main problems. (1) Changes in the spelling of names,
(2) German -Hungarian names of villages and (3) location of church attended
(also location of civil records post 1896). Before you order LDS Burgenland
microfilm you must know this information! If you're not absolutely certain,
dig deeper. The BB can invariably provide the answers. A large percentage of
the many queries I've received deal with these three problems. Some are easy,
but changes in names, parishes and political status can create a maze. The
following query incorporates all three and it's obvious that the inquirer is
no beginner to genealogy.

Our new member writes:
Please enroll me as a member of the Burgenland Bunch. My name is Gary
Gaertner and I reside in Pittsburgh, Pa. My e-mail address is
. I am researching the Schaffer and Czinter families
from Deutsch Schutzen, also known as Nemetlovo. At the moment I do not
recall the district, but I believe that the village is in Samfalva. A
descendant of the Schaffer and Czinter families, named Karoline Schaffer,
moved to Vienna, where she married a Czech by the name of Jan Zelik. They
emigrated to Pittsburgh in about 1905. Before emigrating, this descendant
also lived in Monyorokerek in the Burgenland. I have already reviewed the
records for Deutsch Schutzen in the LDS library. I am also researching the
Linke and Teichmann families reportedly from Hennersdorf in the District of
Sopron, Hungary. Thus far, I have not been able to locate the families, even
after looking at the records of various villages with phonetically similar
names. These families are another branch of the ancestry of the same
emigrating ancestor. If you need further information for my enrollment,
please advise. I look forward to reading through the past issues of your
newsletter. I learned of the existence of your group through a mention in
the November, 1998 newsletter of the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical
Society. You are to be commended for your organization of this group. For
about 25 years, it seemed like I was the only person researching records from
the Burgenland. >>

Our reply: Thanks for the kind words. I'm pleased to see that we've been
mentioned in the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society news. If you're a
member, I'd be happy to send either you or them our press release for
inclusion in future newsletters. The Pittsburg area is a large Burgenland
descendant enclave from which we could use more members to join the 250 we
now have internationally.

Deutsch Schtzen (Nemetlovo) was in the pre 1921 Bezirk (district) of Gssing
(Nemetujvar). It had its own church. Post 1921, it is in the Bezirk of
Oberwart (Felsoor) and includes the villages of Edlitz (Abdaloc-church is St.
Kathrein-Sankt Kathrein-Szentkatalin), Eisenberg (Schauka-church was
Vaskeresztes-Grossdorf -Nemetkersztes in HUNGARY) Hll (Pokolfalu-church is
Unterbildein), and St. Kathrein. Samfalva is Hungarian for Mannersdorf which
doesn't seem to fit with your data. I'd look at LDS 0700697 (Nemetlo),
0700714 (Szentkatalin), 0602070-72 (Nemetkeresztes-these start at 1701!) and
maybe 0700645 (Unterbildein-Alsobeled). None of your family names are in the
1993 Deutsch Schtzen phone book but lots of SCHLAFFER-name change? I find 2
ZINTER. Is CZINTER correct? There are 3 Schaffers in Eberau, so I'd check the
church records of St. Peterfa, Hungary! Also an Anna Gartner-coincidence?

Monyorokerek is now Eberau, Austria (district of Gssing). Church was
Szent-Peterfa-Prostrum, Hungary 0602026-7, start in 1793! Pre 1921 District
was Szombathely-Steinamanger. Croatian Editor Frank Teklits, copied, is our
St. Peterfa expert.

Hennersdorf in the Bezirk of Sopron-now this village I can't find! There is
a Hennersdorf bei Wien in Austria but no Hennersdorf (I checked Hungarian
cross reference names in Sopron Megye) in Hungary either before or after
1921. Might your village not be Hannersdorf (Samfalva)-now Bezirk Oberwart,
formerly Komitat Eisenburg? LDS film 0700728. Other possibilities in Sopron
are Haschendorf (Hasfalu) and Hermanshof (Kll). There were only 37 villages
in Bezirk Sopron. Of course it could be one of the smaller villages now part
of a larger. I'll not list this until you check spellings.

I must say that you have a complex challenge finding your records because of
the many Bezirk and parish changes in this area. I don't know when I've had
so much fun trying to unravel a family scenario. If I were you I'd build a
village German-Hungarian name index showing churches attended if you haven't
already done so. Your people could be scattered between all of them. Once
you're sure of your villages let me know, I may be able to tell you more.
(series to be continued in newsletter 48).
(This newsletter continued as No. 47A)

This thread: