BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 47B dtd 30 Nov 1998 (edited)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 07:39:13 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 47B
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND GENEALOGY
(issued biweekly by )
November 30, 1998
(all rights reserved)

This third section of the 3 section newsletter features addition of Albert's
Village Data as a New Homepage Feature, some Hungarian Death Terms, comments
concerning Deutsch Schtzen & Eberau, More Data on Nagykanizsa, Hungary,
Gssing's Auswanderer Museum, Volksfreund Articles-Berghold Name and Visit
from Mike Spahits-BB Member No. 2.

NEW HOME PAGE FEATURE
For some time we've had a list of all Burgenland villages, their Hungarian
names and the Bezirks (districts) to which they belong. This was extracted
and translated by Burgenland Editor Albert Schuch and sent to all members in
1997. Since it is quite lengthy (4 maximum size emails) it has been
available only on request from the editor. It is now part of the homepage and
can be reached by clicking on "Albert's Village Data". This list also shows
the village Bezirk and Megye pre 1921 and where church and civil records
(where known) may be found. Another reason to thank our homepage staff and
Albert Schuch for their assiduous efforts on our behalf.

SOME HUNGARIAN DEATH TERMS (courtesy of Jerry Molchany)
Vrhas = dysentery Gyengesg = debility
Ehnezavar = insanity Sorvads = atrophy
Khgs = cough Fakads = shooting (yeah I
have one)
Grosk = cramp or convulsion Tdo = lung
Tdogyullads = pneumonia Gutats=apoplexy/ apoplectic
stroke
Gyengls = weakening Kolera = cholera
Betegsg = illness Vrheny = scarlet fever
Himl = smallpox rk = cancer
szvroham = heart attack ngyilkos(sg) = suicide
rubela = german measles kanyar / sertsborska-kr =
measles

DEUTSCH SCHU"TZEN & EBERAU (Fritz Knigshofer to Gary Gaertner)
Welcome to the Burgenland Bunch. Gerry Berghold informed me of your entry in
our member list. Let me add some comments.

My greatgrandfather Alois Koller obtained his first job as a teacher in
Eberau, and married there in 1882. His wife, Maria Frsatz (Fu"rsatz), was
the daughter of the district notary Anton Fu"rsatz who also lived in Eberau.
However, the couple spent only about one year or so in Eberau before moving
on to a post in Csejke (Schauka, later Eisenberg an der Pinka), also quite
nearby, the neighbor village to the northwest of Deutsch Schu"tzen. Before
serving as district notary in Eberau, Anton Fu"rsatz had been the
schoolmaster in Unterbildein (nearby as well), and he returned to the teacher
job after the notary stint in Eberau (but left the area for good).

Eberau apparently has been a very cultivated place at all times, due to the
residence of the aristocratic family Erddy (Erdo"dy) there. I checked the
notes I had taken last year when browsing the old weekly newspaper Der
Volksfreund in the National Library in Budapest. Accordingly, in 1907 the
"Schloss" (castle/palace) of the Erdo"dys in Eberau received a full
renovation. The article calls it the "ancestral seat of the Erdo"dy family."
It says that the archive of the counts Erdo"dy was located there, and that
the predecessors had been the family Ellerbacher. The famous travelling
early bookprinter Johann Manlius stayed in Eberau from 1588-92. This article
was carried in the Volksfreund issue of October 12, 1907.

An article in the issue of January 8, 1910, page 6, reported on the "Free
Lycee" in Monyoro'kere'k. (I do not know whether this was a school... my
notes do not tell.) The article mentions that the "first newspaper" [of
Hungary?] was published in Eberau in the year 1516, and that a cultural
association was founded in 1780.

As to Deutsch Schu"tzen, the cantor-teacher Josef Berger worked there for 25
years, from about 1885 until his death at age 70 in August 1910. The
important aspect about this teacher is that he was a correspondent of Der
Volksfreund and submitted many articles describing events and life in Deutsch
Schu"tzen. If you can read German and can make it to the National Library in
Budapest, you could browse through these articles. You would most likely
unearth some stories about your ancestors therein.

MORE ON NAGYKANIZSA, HUNGARY (Berghold to Keiron Rado)
Keiron, here is a little more on subject city (from "A Complete
Guide-Hungary, Nemeth, Corvina - Hippocrene Books). Gerry

Nagykanizsa-208 km from Budapest on the M7 and Rd 7; 221 km by train.
Nagykanizsa has been a flourishing settlement ever since the Hungarian state
was founded. Its castle was an important fortification , especially during
the times of the Turkish Wars. Beginning in 1600, and lasting for almost a
century, the settlement was the seat of a Turkish vilayet (district). The
railway from Budapest to the Adriatic has run through it since it was built
in the second half of the 19th Century. ..because of the Zala oil filelds,
the town (is) strongly industrialized.

There are no traces of the former border castle, but ruins of an
....establishment for the entertainment of Turkish military officers can
still be seen on a mountainside.... se of the town. The former Franciscan
church in Zetkin Klara utca were built in ...the 18th century. Local
collections...housed in the Thury Gyorgy Museum. (Gyorgy Thury was the
courageous captain of the castle during the Turkish period). Opposite Lenin
ut 5-7 is a neo-Classical synagogue from early 19th Century. Like the Inkey
Sepulchral Chapel (1768)....the church on Deak Ferenc ter is also a Baroque
building.

Nearby villages:
ZALAKAROS (18km north) has warm water thermal baths.
MURAKERESZTUR (17km south) is a railway frontier post with (sic) Yugoslavia.

GSSING'S AUSWANDERER MUSEUM
Recently Albert Schuch sent me an envelope of Burgenland material. Included
was a brochure for the Auswanderer (emigrant) Museum established a few years
ago in Gssing. Named the "city of the Ausland (foreign) Burgenlnders"
(that's us), Gssing is the site of the office of the Burgenlndische
Gemeinschaft (BG), the organization, spokesman and voice of Burgenlnders
throughout the world.

Located in the old mill (Alte Hofmhle) at Stremtalstrasse 2, Gssing, the
museum was the dream of Hofrat Dr. Walter Dujmovits, long time president of
the BG. It contains many emigrant artifacts, pictures and items of the
emigrant period 1880-1950. The museum is in constant receipt of new material
and would probably welcome additions. I am not certain as to holdings of
emigrant documents. They are not mentioned. The museum is open to the public
from May 1 to October 31 every Saturday, Sunday and holiday. The entrance fee
is 20 S for adults which includes a guide. Gssing is always worth a visit
and the museum is a welcome tourist addition to the Castle, St. Jakob's
Church, Maria Heimsuchung Church, Franciscan Cloister and the general
ambiance of this ancient southern Burgenland city.

It is only natural that Gssing was selected as the site of the museum since
it was the central point from which more than nine thousand south Burgenland
emigrants left for America. The "Alte Mhl" is one of Gssing's older
surviving buildings. It's mentioned in records as early as the 1600's and may
even be the site of a much older mill since one undoubtedly supplied flour
for the castle (12th Century) garrison from earliest times. Stremtalstrasse
translates "street in the valley of the Strem". The Strem being the Strembach
or stream which flows through the north east of Gssing. Before being diked
and dammed, this stream frequently flooded and created much damage. To reach
Stremtalstrasse, go down (NE) Pater Gratian Leser Strasse (named for the
priest who gave us all those great village histories) from the Hauptplatz,
cross the Wiener Strasse to Dammstrasse and continue until it crosses
Stremtalstrasse. The museum is on the corner.

The Burgenlnder "is driven into the wide world and there earns his money"
(from the BG Poppendorf Migration Monument-"es trieb ihm in die weite Welt
und dort verdient er schwer sein Geld"), but he is also remembered and
memorialized by this new museum in his homeland. Our ancestors would be proud
they are being so honored. Not many ethnic communities remember their
emigrants in this manner.

VOLKSFREUND ARTICLES -BERGHOLD (from Fritz Knigshofer)
When once again scanning the copies of Der Volksfreund, I noted mention of
the Berghold name, which I may not yet have relayed to you in their
entirety....Let me just list them and offer you copies of anything that looks
interesting.

Feb. 23, 1901, page 3. "Blochziehen," a traditional custom (similar to
tug-of-war but with a long log instead of a rope, I believe), ends with a
get-together at the "well-liked and respected inn-keeper Mr. Berghold who
took best possible care of food and drinks." (Johann Berghold, Sr.)

Nov. 15, 1902, page 5. Johann Berghold junior (grandfather of editor Gerry
Berghold) is listed among the helpers who gave a special effort in
extinguishing the fire on the Simitz house.

Oct. 6, 1906, page 5. Reports on shots fired in Rabafu"zes. After the
Michaelis dance (traditionally held on the evening of September 30), three
young men from Heiligenkreuz with names Berghold, To'th and Johann Schaberl
shot rounds from their revolver(s) over the head of one local lad. The report
says the police was investigating and there would be severe punishment.

Dec. 21, 1907, page 7. An apparently true story about "The gypsies as
chair-judges." This funny story reports about gipsies impersonating judges
at Berghold's inn in Patafalva, thus conning a guest out of money.

Feb. 18, 1911, page 6. Short report on the men's ball with fun-lottery at
the Johann Berghold inn, held on January 18.

Feb. 25, 1911, page 8. (a) Article about the ball of the Voluntary Fire
Brigade Poppendorf. The list of donors includes Johann Berghold with 2
crowns; (b) article about the ball of the Voluntary Fire Brigade of Zahling
(O'ko"rtve'lyes) on January 29. The list of donors includes Berghold J. with
4 crowns.

Feb. 17, 1912, page 4. Ball of the Voluntary Fire Brigade of Poppendorf held
at the Mo"dl inn. Among the donors is Josef Berghold with 2 crowns.

ANNUAL VISIT WITH BB MEMBER
Back in 1995, I signed up with AOL and began posting my family names and
villages to genealogy bulletin boards (still a good thing to do to get
coverage). I saw a posting from Mike Spahitz, recognized the family name and
his village, Grossmrbisch, and we began a correspondence that attracted
others. It wasn't long before the the BB was born in January of 1997. Mike
lives in Staten Island but has an aunt in Harper's Ferry, WV. He visits her
at least once a year and includes us in his visits. Since Mike is a
Burgenland descendant, a professional graphics designer and very computer
literate we always find lots to talk about. He's the one responsible for the
great graphics work in our homepage. We had our usual informative visit the
day after Thanksgiving. Seems the latest graphics development is copying
(scanning) photos and archiving them on CD's or Zip disks. Problem with
computer graphics is that they are memory hogs and will soon clog even the
largest gigabyte hard disks. Storing them on a CD with its large capacity is
a fine alternative. Unfortunately, proper equipment and procedure to do this
in a professional manner is expensive and not user friendly. The learning
curve is steep.

I've fooled around with a scanner and graphics software as well as the
graphics capabilities built into some genealogy software. The best I can say
about my end products is that they are "better than no picture". Poor
resolution (dots per inch), sizing problems and LARGE files. I don't keep
many on my hard disk and I have moved some to floppies where they are always
difficult to find. I did get an "Iomega" Zip disk drive recently with it's
100Meg capacity.

Mike is close to establishing what he is calling "Family Archive Services".
Via a website explaining the service, he plans to scan photos (mailed to him
via surface mail) at various resolutions and sizes (the more dots per inch
the higher the cost) and archive them to CD's or Zip Disks (floppies are not
archival proof). He feels the cost will be very competitive with photos
produced from negatives (without the need to have a negative made where one
doesn't exist). A multi generation family's photos could thus be archived at
minimal cost and accessed for printing (within the individual's printer
capabilities), copying or internet transmission from CD or Zip disk. I think
replacing albums full of photos which are not archival with a CD or Zip is a
wonderful idea. The ability to then share with relatives is a plus. Maybe a
display of ancestors' pictures all the same size with appropriate names, etc.
Possibilities are endless.

Mike will soon introduce his service. Keep it in mind and look for it when it
arrives. I told Mike I'd advise BB members via this newsletter. We plan a
test run using my store of ancestor photos. I'll be reporting the results.

(Note-it is the policy of this newsletter to offer genealogy services of any
kind, commercial or otherwise, that we think will be beneficial to members.
We do this as a service and do not endorse or guarantee any product or accept
paid advertising. Any contracts resulting from our notification are between
members and suppliers and in no way involve the BB or its editor.)

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, Contact
for information about the Burgenland Bunch.

This thread: