BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 51B dtd 31 Jan 1999 (edited)
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 08:10:30 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 51B
(issued biweekly by )
JANUARY 31, 1999
(all rights reserved)

This third section of the 3 section newsletter contains notices of a Croatian
Translator and a New Village History (Kogl), articles concerning Church of
St. Emmerich-Felso-Ronok, Hungary and House Numbers and Mail From Members.

CROATIAN TRANSLATOR OBTAINED
Internet Editor Anna Kresh writes: Hooray, we've got a willing and able
Croatian translator! Thanks to member Lea Buzby's efforts Joann Aftanas has
agreed to assist us. She comes highly recommended and we thank her for her
kind offer. Joann's full email address is
Her address can also be found on our URL list. Joann writes: Dear Anna, I
wrote you immediately after I received your email, however, I am not sure if
you received my message. Hungarian AOL is very undependable!!!!!!! Please
feel free to add me to your list of translators of the Croatian Language. I
have just returned from Croatia -- my 12th trip -- and, as always, have found
it a wonderful experience. Please warn anyone who tries to contact me that
they will have to bear with the System here. And, yes, I do live in
Pittsburgh, however, presently I am working as a Croatian Translator for the
U.S. Army in Taszar, Hungary. Thank you for your very kind letter and I hope
to hear from you. Joann Bedic Aftanas

NEW VILLAGE HISTORY-KOGL IM BURGENLAND
Announcing a New Burgenland book, "400 Jahre - Kogl im Burgenland". The 400
year history of the village of Kogl in Burgenland. The price is ATS 150 =
$13.00. Order from:
Kulturverein Kogl, z.H. Herrn Obmann, Ing. Anton Grosinger, A-7441 Kogl,
Austria
For additional information contact Hap Anderson ().

FELSO-RONOK, HUNGARY and CHURCH OF ST. EMMERICH
Ed.-Felso Ronok or 'Ober Radling' is the third village after crossing the
Hungarian border at Heiligenkreuz on 'Rt. 8' in southern Burgenland. The
border as drawn in 1921 swept sharply west here so as to keep Szentgotthard
in Hungary. Szentgotthard was then the Bezirk municipality for most of
today's villages below Bezirk Gssing. It was replaced by Bezirk Jennersdorf.
Many families with Hungarian ties were split as a result. A number of BB
members have ancestors from this area and the Felso Ronok LDS records date
from 1789, Nos. 0601492-494. In 1873, there were 1400 RC's attending church
there (included Also Ronok) and 120 Lutherans who used the Martin Luther
Kirche in Eltendorf (Krtvelyes). There were 16 Jews (Kormend synagogue?).

I've been following a Felso Ronok correspondence between Margaret Kaiser,
Bernadette Sulzer and others. Margaret who has conducted much research in
this area is planning an article on the history of the church. She recently
asked some questions which Fritz Knigshofer answered in addition to
translating Felso-Ronok material appearing at the turn of the century in the
"Volksfreund". Margaret's questions and Fritz's answers follow:
Margaret writes...."do you think pre-1789 records exist somewhere in a
Diocese or were destroyed along the way? If so, how/where does one go about
seeking them? Would the archive be Austrian or Hungarian? What is the
reformed church? Is that like the Dutch Reformed? Or is it another form of
Lutheran (in this country we would say another Synod)? From letters from my
distant relative who is acquainted with the current Priest the earlier parish
records on hand on site begin in 1860. The LDS films begin around 1789. The
parish records are on site from 1860 to present."

Fritz replies: "Margaret, In the Hungarian context, the "Reformed Church"
invariably means the Calvinist form of Protestantism. In Austria, we call it
the "Helvetian (Swiss) Confession" as compared to the Augsburgian (Lutheran)
one.

The parish priest of Fels Rnk would likely be the best person to know
since when matrikels were recorded in the parish, and what happened to the
earliest ones; or in which parish earlier recordings were made for
inhabitants of the village. Since you have expanded on the story of the Szent
Imre church, let me enumerate the articles I copied on the subject from Der
Volksfreund:

Jan. 24, 1891, p.6. About the derelict state of the existing church which
apparently was a stone construction. The parish priest Nikolaus Herczeg is
said to try very hard to urge the church and civil authorities to do
something, but to no avail.

Feb. 7, 1891, p.5. Parish priest Herczeg responds to the above article by
stating that the authorities have already acted, and that the measures toward
planning and building a new church are under way. He expects a quick start
and completion of the new church within 15 months.

Feb. 21, 1891, pp.6-7. Rudolf Ruisz reacts to the statement of the parish
priest. He declares that it was he who had written the article of Jan. 24,
and that the priest's rebuttal had not been able to explain away the fact
that the existing church presented an imminent danger to priest and
congregation when holding services or ringing the church bells.

Apr. 3, 1897, pp.6-7. Letter to the editor from a visitor to the cemetery of
Oberradling (the visitor wanted to visit the graves of his or her children).
The letter deplores the state of wilderness and lack of care in the whole
graveyard, as well as the derelict schoolhouse next to it.

Feb. 25, 1899, p.7. Reports on concerns that the old little church might
crash down any moment; that recently, during a service held while a storm
was going on outside, the church had started to shake in its fundaments so
that the congregation had to flee outside at once. The authorities have now
closed the church and approved funding for building a new church. Plans for
it are already available for view. Two builders have been found so far who
would be willing to erect the new church, namely Josef Lang of Szent
Gotthrd, and Roman Tropper of Graz.

Sept. 7, 1901, p.3. Recalls that the old church had been closed by the
authorities two years ago, and that one year ago the builder Lang of Szent
Gotthrd had been selected to erect the new church. Nobody seems to know why
so far not even the fundaments have been laid for the new church. Mass was
being held at the schoolhouse for the last 1 1/2 years, creating an
impossible situation for the new teacher R. Linger and his family. The
article then reports that a village delegation led by the teacher went to
Rtot to complain at the "Ministerprsident" [perhaps meaning the district's
governor?] and was promised effective help to get the work underway.

All articles are in German. Further, I noted that Der Volksfreund of June
17, 1905, p.3, reported about the consecration of the new Szent Imre church
that would serve Als and Fels Rnk and Rba Szent Mihly. The ceremony
took place under the most terrible weather conditions. The church is stated
to be a masterpiece of modern architecture, having the best organ near and
far. "Thus the wish of parish priest J. Bartl has found its fulfillment."
[Bartl had succeeded Herczeg.]

In Sept. 1909, the newspaper reported about the completion of a brand new
school house in Fels Rnk. The teacher at the time was Rudolf Steiger.
The issue of July 23, 1910 reports that the 18-year old son of the
"much-liked teacher of Oberradling Rudolf Steiner" [sic; his name was either
Steiger or Steiner] had drowned when swimming in Gssing; the son had been a
hairdresser there. This completes the copies and notes I have about events in
Fels Rnk.

HOUSE NUMBERS (Kornfeind, Berghold)
Jon Kornfeind asks: "<< This leads to my first question for Gerry and Albert.
Somewhere along the line it was suggested to me that house numbering systems
in communities like Hannersdorf had something to do with the order or
sequence that homes were built within the community. Is this true or have I
been laboring under a misunderstanding? Has the system changed over time?
Is it or has it been made uniform among the Burgenland communities in its
current day form? >>

Berghold replies: "John, I don't know a definite answer re house numbers.
Something for me to add to the newsletter. Many were (are) the same today as
hundreds of years ago. Others have changed as villages expanded, I don't
think numbers were retired. Berghold #44 (now Toth) in Poppendorf is still
the same although a Gasthaus was built in front of it (no. 43?). Nr. 225
Rosenberg, the Sorger residence for 200 years is still there but applied to a
new (modern) building. Number gaps appear where houses are torn down or new
ones built and two digit numbers give way to three (with 100, 200, etc.) as
you move out to the edges of villages, so I feel the lots are numbered in
some cases. I've also seen at least one case (Eltendorf) where duplicate
numbers have been used, being differentiated only by the terms "old village",
"new village". I also read recently (and can't find the source) that numbers
are now being issued in sequential order to new construction.

SOME MAIL FROM MEMBERS
(Ed.-Some success) From: (Barb Groh)
Just a short note to let you know I found a long lost cousin in California.
We confirmed it today. It's John (and Mary) Schatz. John's grandmother and
my great grandmother were sisters (Jautz). Mary was able to provide me with
some information on other generations. And I will provide her with tons of
cousins they have in Pennsylvania. Great. I haven't been able to find out any
further information on the other names (Nikles, Bodisch, Kiss, Csar,
Potsmann, Dergosits, but will keep trying. We hope to get to a Family
History Center when the weather gets a little better as I've been able to
gather a lot of information as far as file numbers to get from a couple
members and the newsletters. Really appreciate that. Also, I've been in touch
with a cousin of yours, Lea Buzby, and I am going to put her in touch with
one of my cousins as his mother had the maiden name of Simitz and she has
relatives with that name. This is such a wonderful thing-to be able to trade
information.

(Ed.-LDS records in Austria?) From:
Hi! I`m also interested in the records of Stegersbach. In
Stegersbach/Santalek I'm interested in the names of Novakovits ( befor the
year 1791), Siderits (before the year 1788) and Pendl ( before 1912), Graf
before 1887 and Stinatz before the year of 1887. It is much work travelling
through Burgenland and checking all the records. I hope to find someone, who
already owns copies of the church records concerning these periods. Thank you
anyway. I'll try it also in Eisenstadt and Vienna. Thank you for your help,
Jrgen

(Ed.-a potpourri) From: (Giles Gerken)
Following has nothing to do with genealogy but arouses historical curiosity.
>From "The Rise & Fall of Habsburg Monarchy" by Victor L, Tapie I quote: "At
the eastern extremity of Lower Austria almost on the border of Hungary the
traveler of today can still see the escutcheons of the Frohsdorf estate-
Herrschaft Frohsdorf- where the Comte de Chambord, the last king of France
(Henry V) spent his melancholy years" (Duke of Berri Henry died 1883) Does
anyone know just where this was located near what village? Also second
volume- From "The Last Days of Marie Antoinette & Louis XVI by Rupert
Furneaux Re. the daughter Marie Therese: Quote "When her husband died in
1844 she retired to live in a castle near Vienna & died there in 1851"
Since Comte Chambord was her nephew by marriage and also her Heir wasn't
this the same castle or estate? Just curious to learn where it was located.
Also on last Newsletter someone looking up Latin word shown as Vicrum.
Suggest it might supposed to be "Viduum" meaning Unmarried- either single or
widowed, Female form Vidua, male shown as Viduum , as I have
found on some of the film- sometimes writing not too legible. Last question-
Does anyone know of place which seems to say SARDA which was under
jurisdiction of Rom Kath church records of Hegyeshalom, but is shown as the
Domicilii ? Hungarian Dictionary defines word Sarda as Marsh.

Giles later answers his own questions: "Found interesting site in Austria
www.intersearch.at I found info on Herrschaft Frohsdorf- located near
Wiener Neustadt and was location where daughter of M. Antoinette lived as
well as later Comte d Chambord. Also pretty much determined that
"Domicilii" on birth record from Hegyeshalom shows word "Zarda" or
monastery ????? Thought since I posed questions earlier I would advise that
I found answers.

(Ed.-Hungarian Salt. The wife and I collect open salt dishes and we have to
produce a program concerning the open salt dishes of the Austro/Hungarian
Empire. We have a lot from other regions but few from Hungary, I asked member
Joe Jarfas to comment on how salt was used in Hungary when he was growing
up.) He responded with:
From: (Jarfas, Joseph)
"Hi Gerry, your request for information on salt containers (start) turned
out to be a tall order! I still remember the time, during W.W.II, when we
used rock salt at home. But we had some kind of simple plate for it on the
table. What I can't remember was what kind of container we had for the big
chunk; since we had to hammer/chisel pieces off of it.... Found it
interesting that you can do other things beside your news letter. I would
think THAT will occupy all your time....Getting back to s (salt). I have
some vague memory of a salt mill, but can't even remember what it looked
like. There always was a meat grinder, coffee grinder and poppy seed or nut
grinder practically in every household (pepper mill was less common). Also
remember that our rock salt was full of impurities and had to select them out
by hand before you put the pinch of salt onto your food (those were the
darker crystals in there). Can't recall any glass manufacturer (for open salt
dishes) or such. I know there were individual glass blowers around; pots and
pans were also made in small shops as well as dinner ware of all sorts (clay
not porcelain). In secondary school's arts and crafts class they were trying
to teach us a little bit of everything - but as you can see not much remained
from it!

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, Contact
for information about the Burgenland Bunch.

This thread: