BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 52 dtd 28 Feb 1999 (edited)
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 08:10:55 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 52
(issued biweekly by )
FEBRUARY 28, 1999
(All rights reserved)
We now have 291 readers!
St. Paul writes: "Neither give heed to tables and endless genealogies."

This first section of the 3 section newsletter contains historical material
concerning the villages of Knigsdorf and Zahling, an email exchange
concerning the Village of Cseske, articles on how to show Burgenland
Locations in Genealogical Files plus some Vienna Geography, Emigration From
the Village of St. Michael (southern Burgenland), More on House Numbers and
Terminology and Permission to Publish the Teklit's Croatian History
Translation.

VILLAGES OF KNIGSDORF AND ZAHLING (from the Father Leser Series, Extracts &
Translations by Burgenland Editor Albert Schuch)

52) Knigsdorf
Some inhabitants lent money to the Counts Batthyany: Hans GRAFF (1644), Peter
GRLLER (1644), Andreas UNGER (1645), Hans WEBER (1693), Mattez WAGNER
(1694). Families mentioned in 1693-Urbarium: 5 UNGER; 4 KOHL, FISCHL; 3
TAPLER, LEITGEB, KURZ, GUTTMANN; 2 AUGUSTIN, KANDL, PERL, HANZL, GRAFF, HOLL,
BERT; 1 SCHNADICS, KOANICS, FRENCS, KOHLNBAUER, SPERK, WILFINGER, LANG,
HARTL, SCHAFLER, ASTL, DEKKER, MOTTEZ, SIMPL, KAEDLER, KUMMER, GOLDSCHMIDT,
JOKESZ, TAMEDLER, GRLLER, ZOTTER, GIBISER, BAUER, SCHWARZ, RODLER, WEBER,
DROTZL, PELZMANN, PUEKESZ, MOZER, KORNTHEUER, BOGNER, MACZOLT, TRINKL,
HARTNER, LANDMANN. Of these were free: 2 TAPLER, GRAFF and HOLLER. Sllner
families: UNGER, HANZL, MUIK; Sllner families without a house of their own:
2 UNGER; 1 ERNST, WAGNER, HORNER, GSELMANN, TRINKL. Sllner families living
in the vineyard hills: HOL, HERTLER, KANZL, PUECHART, WEIDNITZ, DEKKER,
KRAUDL, NIKISZ, SCHWARZ, ERNST, MONDSCHEIN, WEINHOFFER, FRISENLACH.
21 houses burned down in 1896. In 1930 the village consisted of 125 houses
plus 84 houses in the "Bergen" (hills). Of these 209 houses 6 were deserted.
623 Catholics and 470 Lutherans in 1930. In 1812: 502 C, 467 L.
Church records started in 1755; 1765-95 the Lutherans are also recorded in
the Catholic records. Catholic priests: Johann Baptist MORLANDER (1698),
Johann Ludwig GUMBELSHEIM (-1726), Franz USTLER (1726), Michael RKH
(1753-79; from Purbach; the entry in the death records says he brought 300
Lutherans back to the Catholic church; he died in 1779, 52 years old); Josef
PEHM (1779-1801; died 45 y old), Georg KORPORITS (1801-15; died 49 y old),
Josef MLINARICH (1815-58; died 75 y old), Josef EBERHARD (1858-70), Michael
SCHWARZ (1870-88), Franz BAUMGARTNER (1888-1913; died 73 y old); Karl
NEUBAUER (1914-16), Eduard KLLS (1916-19), Josef HORVATH (1919-21), Johann
FARKAS (1921-26), Josef KOGLER (1926-). Catholic teachers: Franz DUNST
(1757), Johann RESSLER, Franz ZINKE (1782-85), Josef HAFNER (1788-1826),
Franz SCHERZER (1826-86), Franz
KORNTHEUER (1886-1922), Franz RAFFEL (1922-); Gisela PERNITZ (1923-).
Lutherans: Some expelled Styrians settled here around 1600. Belonged to the
Lutheran parish of Zahling in the beginning. Pastors: Philipp SZEKOL
(1618-24), Johann PETRASEK (1647). In 1653 Pastor Johann Eduard BAUER (born
in Lbenstein) already served in Knigsdorf; in 1654 Gregor GLDL (the
Gssing Abbey Library holds a book with an entry in his handwriting: "Ao 1656
Legitim. possessor est Frid. Greg. Gldl Linz Aust. p. t. Pastor
Knigsdorfffensis Evangelicus"); in 1665 Benedikt GLAUCK (born in Arela,
Silesia); in 1668 Johann WEISBECK (born in
Offenhausen, Austria - he had to leave Knigsdorf on the orders of Counts
Christoph and Paul BATTHYANY in 1670). In 1783 - Emperor Joseph II had
meanwhile (in 1781) allowed to establish Lutheran parishes in communities
with at least 100 Lutheran families - the Eltendorf parish was founded, and
Knigsdorf became a part of it. Lutheran teachers: Josef MATESZ (1867-1908;
born in Knigsdorf), Friedrich REPPERT (1908-09), Friedrich MHL (1909-11),
Samuel BAUER (1911-30). 66 pupils in 1930. (source: V+H Nr. 4-5/1959)

53) Zahling
Families listed in the 1693-Urbarium: 2 JOST, PAIDL, KAMEDLER; 1 PUMMER,
WISNER, KRANZ, POAN, SCHREINER, HARTNER, UNGER, KURZ, JANGER, MARTIN, VALICS,
SCHWARZ, HARTL, MUER, GSELMANN. Sllner-families: 2 GIBISER; 1STANGLHOFFER,
MARTH, PUMMER, FISCHL. Sllner-families in the vineyard-hills: 4 DEX, FISCHL;
2 MELCHART, KREUZER, POAN, PECZ, SCHWESTER; 1 FIDLER, MEER, SINMEISTER,
PFEIFER, SUMMERANER, HEDL, ASTL, LIPP, KREUZER, POAN, PECZ, SCHWARZ,
SCHLETTER, DECKER, BINK, SCHERMANN, STANDL, PUMMER, ENDTLER, GRLLER, KURZ,
SCHLEGER, KARNER, JOST, KERN, GIBISER, GRAZL, JAKES, UNGER, GLLES. Number of
inhabitants: 1779: 232 Catholics, 379 Lutherans; 1812: 225 C, 424 L; 1930:
323 C, 428 L. Catholics: In 1698 Zahling was a parish, including Knigsdorf,
Dobersdorf and Eltendorf. Very old church, used to have a bell dating from
the 15th century. In 1757 Zahling already was a part of Knigsdorf parish.
The dead of Knigsdorf, Dobersdorf and Eltendorf were buried in Zahling until
1777, when Knigsdorf and Dobersdorf received cemeteries of their own.
Catholic teachers in Zahling: Michael KERN (1779), Josef PREJER (1799),
Johann OBERLOHR (1810-50), his son Johann OBERLOHR, Josef PLATZ (1867),
Michael GLCKSHOFER (1877-1903), Johann POMMER (1903-06), Franz ZOTTER
(1907-10), Stephan DUJMOVITS (1910-30; 1915-20 P.O.W. in Russia).
Lutherans: Pastors: Philipp SZEKOL (1619), Johann PETRASEK (1647; born in
Kuttenberg, Bohemia; he had to leave in 1650 on the orders of the
Batthyany-administrators Georg BOKOR and Gregor NYIR). 1653-71 part of
Knigsdorf parish. Pastors in Knigsdorf: Johann Erhard BAUER (1631 [note:
must be a typo; will be eiter 1651 or 1653 - see Knigsdorf article]),
Friedrich Gregor GLDL (1654-56), Benedikt GLAUCK (1665), Samuel GERBER
(1666), Johann WEISBECK (1668). Since 1783 part of Kukmirn parish. Pastors in
Kukmirn: Johann SCHMIDAG (1783-93), Johann Andreas HUTTER (1793-1810),
Christian WSTINGER (1810-28), Daniel DRUGLNYI (1828-32), Andreas HUBER
(1832-66), Johann FRST (1866-78), Emanuel LUDWIG (1878-97), Johann RAJTER
(1897-1930). Lutheran teachers: Ludwig HUBER (1856-58), Michael SUPPER
(1858-68), Eduard MLLER (1868-73), Wilhelm KARNER (1873-96), Johann
KIRNBAUER (1896-1917), Oskar SCHNEIDER (1917-30).
(source: V+H Nr. 6-7/1959)

VILLAGE OF CSEKE
<< Pat Jahn recommended that I contact you. I'm trying to find out the
present day, name & location of a village in Burgenland with the old
Hungarian name of Cseke or Cszeke or Czseke. I think its located near
Hannersdorf & Burg, any help you can give would be greatly appreciated,
thanks......Don Strauwald >>

Ed.-Don, your question exemplifies the major problem which exits in finding
places of origin in this part of the world. It is one of the reasons for the
creation of the Burgenland Bunch. Since I plan to use the answer as an
article in our newsletter, you get a lengthy answer.

"Cseke" is one of those villages that has had many names. Not only did it
change back and forth from Hungarian and German, it was even given a new
name! First called "villa Cheyka" in 1244 A. D., it later was called "Chegge"
under the Herrschaft of Wolfer von Gssing, and then changed to "Schauka" in
1790, later "Schwk" and to "Cseke" with the Magyarization changes following
1848. Since the 1921 Anschlus ceding it to Austria, it has been known as
"Eisenberg an der Pinka" or just plain Eisenberg (The Pinka is a river formed
by the junction of the Zickenbach and the Teichbach at Burg which flows next
to Eisenberg and then across the border and south through Hungary where it
joins the Raab-Raba). Eisenberg is now part of Katastralgemeinden (community)
Deutsch Schtzen-Eisenberg along with Edlitz, Hll and St. Kathrein in the
Bezirk (district) of Oberwart in the Province of Burgenland. It is listed
under its own name in the Austrian phone book. Prior to 1921 it was in the
Bezirk of Szombathely (Steinamanger), Vas Megye which is still in Hungary.
Almost on the border today, the RC villagers went to church (pre 1921) in
Nemetkeresztes which now with Magyarkeresztes is called Vaskeresztes. The
church records from 1701-1895 are LDS microfilms 0602070-072. There is a
mission church in Eisenberg called Heilige Jakobus built 1750-51.

Eisenberg is located about 25km south of Rechnitz, Austria; 15 km n-northeast
of Gssing and 18km west south west of Szombathely, Hungary right next to the
border with Hungary. It is just east of the village of Kohfidisch. You'll
need a 1 : 200,000 scale map to find it. Known for quality red wines of which
the finest are the Blaufrnkisch, Eisenberg takes its name from the hill of
the same name (Eisenberg 415 m) since it is situated on the southern slope.
Many emigrants to the US from this region, many of whom settled in the Lehigh
Valley of PA. The 1920 US census for Penna. Lehigh County-Northampton County
shows some references to Eisenberg as a place of origin. Hope this gives you
what you need. Gerry Berghold

Don Replies: Thank you for the info on Csejke (Eisenberg an der Pinka). I was
at a standstill in researching the Stumpf lineage of my family, due to not
knowing the current name of this village, Your info puts me back on track &
points me in the right direction. I would like to join the bunch & will send
a follow up e-mail with all the required info....Don Strauwald

BURGENLAND LOCATIONS IN GENEALOGICAL FILES-VIENNA GEOGRAPHY
Most genealogical software provides for a four part definition of location.
In the US it would be three part city, county, state. Some add country, thus
USA. In the Burgenland, one should use village (city), Bezirk (district or
county), Land (state or province), and country. Thus Eltendorf, Jenersdorf,
Burgenland, Austria. It is also advisable to add the pre 1921 Hungarian names
to at least one of the notes for a family line. In this example it would be,
"the name for Eltendorf pre 1921 was Okortvelyes, comitat Szt. Gotthard, Vas
Megye, Hungary". I further refine my listings by using the current (post
1921) location names for those ancestors who emigrated and the pre 1921 names
for those who didn't, again explaining same in notes.

Member Norm Pihale recently asked a question concerning three locations which
were giving him trouble. Two involve large cities (stadt) which require some
explanation. Norm writes: "Subject Locations. I have a couple locations
outside my usual neck of the woods in Burgenland and was wondering if you
might be able to supply me with the county/district, etc.? I usually use
something like: Wallern, Neusiedl, Burgenland, Austria. Now I have: Kittsee,
(can't find it on a map), Vienna (Wien), what would the district or county
be? Eisenstadt, (across the See to the west)"

Answer: Kittsee (Hungarian names Kpcseny/Gieca)-just south of Bratislava
(Pressburg) right on the extreme north east border. Bezirk of Neusiedl.
Includes Edelstal, population 1976, houses 801. From pre 1921 Bezirk
Ragendorf (Mosonrajka). Own church. LDS has records. I'd use
Kittsee-Neusiedl-Burgenland-Austria.

Vienna (Wien)-is it's own Province (one of the nine which make up Austria)
and County. Made up of 23 districts. One and one half million people. 160
square miles. Circumference is 86 miles (130 km). It is encircled by the
Province of Lower Austria. Many churches plus cathedral (thus many sets of
records as well as many types of civil records). Major capital of the
Austro/Hungarian Empire. Very difficult to find family records. No central
index or archive. Use Vienna-Vienna-Vienna-Austria in genealogical software.
If you know the district name, like "Hietzing", use it. Thus Hietzing,
Vienna, Vienna, Austria. The district names are I City Centre, II
Leopoldstadt, III Landstrasse, IV Wieden, V Margareten, VI Mariahilfe, VII
Neubau, VIII Josefstadt, IX Alsergrund, X Favoriten, XI Simmering, XII
Meidling, XIII Hietzing, XIV Penzing, XV Rudolfsheim-Fnfhaus, XVI Ottakring,
XVII Hernals, XVIII Whring, XIX Dbling, XX Brigittenau, XXI Floridsdorf,
XXII Donaustadt, XXIII Liesing. Many of these (Districts III to IX) were
formerly villages now incorporated into the city. District I corresponds to
the historic city (within the inner walls). Districts X to XIX were outside
the "Grtel", the outer ring road.

Eisenstadt (Kismarton), capital of Burgenland. Bezirk Eisenstadt. It is a
free city or "Freistadt" which means it had and has certain self governing
privledges. Only other one in the Bugenland is Rust. Includes Kleinhflein
and St. Georgen im Burgenland. Population 10919, houses 2725. Formerly part
of Komitat Oedenburg, Sopron Megye. Own churches. LDS has records, including
those of former large Jewish population. Pre 1827 church records (those which
are available) for all of Burgenland are located here in RC Diocesian
Archives but at present you must visit or have someone visit for you for
access. Working on some sort of access from the US, but if possible, it will
take time. Eisenstadt-Eisenstadt-Burgenland-Austria. Gerry

Norm responds: Thanks for all the info and background details on these 3
locations. I'll pass it along to Rosemary Bradford who is also interested. We
found a living 40-year-old 4th cousin (Konrad Unger) who lives in Wallern and
is a Hauptschule teacher in Pamhagen. We correspond in English using e-mail.
He found my name through BB. Another family-ties success story for BB and its
web site! Norm Pihale

EMIGRATION FROM THE VILLAGE OF ST. MICHAEL (Bezirk Gssing)-forwarded by
Albert Schuch
Emigration from St. Michael (Bezirk Gssing), according to the "Chronical of
St. Michael", written by Margarethe Matisovits (in German; published 1992;
still available from the author) - extracts from the chapter "Die
Auswanderung nach bersee":

According to research done in 1972 by Eduard Jandrasits, 188 inhabitants
emigrated until 1939 (of these 21 returned), after 1939 there were only 13
emigrants, 3 of whom returned. In 1895 and 1897 blacksmiths Johann KUNZIER
and Franz OSWALD went to Passaic (NJ). While KUNZIER worked as a blacksmith
in Passaic too, OSWALD worked in a gardening business. Both did very well and
ended up owning several houses.

Ca. 1900 the widow Magdalena MAROSITS (nee WALITS) emigrated to the US,
briefly returned in 1906 to take her son Josef MAROSITS (b. 1892) with her,
who returned to St. Michael in 1913.

Josef (b. 1851) and Amalia (b. 1855) JANDRISOVITS had 10 children: Josef,
Albert, Ludwig, Anastasia, Gisela, Alois, Franz, Adolf, Franziska and Karl.
All of them went to America before WW I. The oldest, Josef, emigrated in 1902
(3 weeks on the ship), he settled in Passaic with his wife Emilie nee
KREMSNER. Their one year old daughter Anna stayed with her grandmother and
was brought to America a few years later by her aunt Anna. Josef JANDRISOVITS
found work in a sausage factory, later on he bought a Gasthaus. The family
grew, as Josef Jr. (1903), Resi (1905), Emilie (1908) and Gisela (1909) were
born. In April 1911 the whole family returned to St. Michael and Josef Sr.
started to build a new house. He was almost finished when he was called by
the army in 1914. Josef Jr. died at 9 years of age, but the other children
with American citizenship all returned to America: Resi in 1924, Emilie in
1926 and Gisela in 1930.

Franziska PANI (Frances PANNY) emigrated to America in 1922. She described
her journey in her autobiography "Fannerl".

In 1938, Rudolf MARX from St. Michael was 18 years old, he worked as a baker
in New York. When the war with Germany broke out, he joined the US Army. In
1944 he was killed in action in France, only 30 km from the spot where his
brother Walter fought as a soldier of the German Wehrmacht at the same time -
as was found out later. Rudolf's body was taken to America. On request of his
parents, his remains crossed the ocean for a second time in 1948 and were
buried in St. Michael.

In 1938 the Jewish families of St. Michael (STERN, WRZBURGER, SCHLESINGER)
were forced to leave their homes. Most of them managed to escape to America.
[end of extract]

Note: I have read on two occasions (articles written in the 1920's) that
emigrants from St. Michael founded a village "Neu - St. Michael" in America.
Ms. Matisovits doesn't mention this story in her book, so I don't know what
to make of it.

MORE ON HOUSE NUMBERS (from Albert Schuch)
I only know about the situation in my home village Kleinpetersdorf, (situated
near Hannersdorf; has been a part of Hannersdorf (r.c.) parish until ca.
1859): From a list of the houses dating from 1857/58 I conclude the
following: At that time, the village only consisted of two lines of houses.
One line was on one side of the road, the other line on the opposite side of
the road.

The person who numbered the houses (ca. 1850 ?) must have entered the village
from the north, and he must have started with the right hand side. There were
21 houses on this side. When he had reached the southern end of the village
he turned around and numbered the other side, from south to north, from 22 up
to 40. House # 40 is built opposite of house # 1 at the northern end, and
house # 22 opposite of house # 21 at the southern end. In the 1857/58 list we
find two new houses, built after the initial numbering: House # 41 is a
gypsy's house, built on the southern end of the village, with quite a
distance to the neighboring house (# 22), leaving enough space for 3 houses
(built later). The newest house, # 42, was built between # 12 and # 13, on
land taken from one of these two houses.

>From that time onwards, houses were numbered "in chronological order", as
they were built, regardless of their "geographical situation" within the
village. Larger villages were probably "numbered" earlier, and maybe in a
different way. Hope this is of some help, Albert.

MORE ON TERMINOLOGY (from Fritz Knigshofer)
Subject-Terminology on farmers etc. Friends, I am writing from Budapest where
I am on business travel right now. Let me pass to you what I found on our
latest terminological question in the two dictionaries on medieval Latin in
the National Library here. One of these is relatively new and has not
progressed yet beyond the letter of H. Strangely, the letter C volume is
incomplete, but with co... notably absent (where "colonus" would be found).

>From "Glossarium mediae et infimae Latinitatis Regni Hungariae," Teubner,
Leipzig, 1901, we now have clarity on the meaning of octavalista. It is, as
Albert (Schuch) has suggested, the term for a full farmer who owns (or tills)
at least one eighth of a sessio. In the words of the glossarium:
'octavalista: colonus; dominus octavae partis unius sessionis; in
Hungarian: nyolczadtelkes.'

The word is related to "quartalista," the tiller of the fourth part of a
sessio. Half of a sessio was called "media sessio," while a full sessio was
"integra sessio." However, I found no term describing the owner or tiller of
these larger sizes.

The word "colonus" is defined as "qui domino operales vectigales praestat,
operarius colonus;" My Latin deserts me on this text and perhaps one of you
could enlighten the meaning. The Hungarian translation, however, is given as
jobbgy-gazda; jobbgy; and paraszt. Famu(o)lus is translated to "szolg"
which I believe is the Hungarian word for servant or employee.

Agricola is (surprisingly) not defined in this book. However, it is defined
in the new, not yet finished Lexicon Latinitatis Medii Aevi Hungariae.
Accordingly, "agricola" is a person "qui agrum colit" (who tills the field);
agricultor; arator. The Hungarian translation is stated as "fldmves;
szntvet." To my surprise, in the older (Teubner) dictionary, "neocolonus"
states "v.[vide??] zingarus" while zingarus describes a gypsy... I can't
believe this translation.By the way, from another Hungarian-Latin dictionary,
I got the translation of zsellr as "inquilinus." I have frequently
encountered inquilinus in my search, but have so far always translated it as
somebody who lives (in rent) in somebody else's house. However, I would
agree that the translation to Sllner (zsellr?) would make much more sense
since, as I wrote before, I have not been able so far to make out a Latin
word for the many Sllners who no doubt were recorded in the matrikels, but I
have often come across inquilinus or sub-inquilinus.

CROATIAN HISTORY TRANSLATION COPY RIGHT PERMISSION (Frank Teklits)
Ed. -After spending untold hours translating a history of Croatian origins in
the Burgenland, Frank has received permission to share the translation with
BB members via our newsletter. We should begin this as a series shortly. He
received the following:
Reference: Frank A. Teklits permission to translate Dobrovich's Work
Your letter of December 20, 1998
Dear Mr. Teklits!
In answer to your inquiry, we share (our view) with you concerning the
translation of the work of John Dobrovich - "People at the Border - Destiny
and Mission". There is no objection on the part of the Burgenlndischen
Landesarchives and permission is granted to make the history of the
Burgenland Croats available to the members of your genealogical group over
the Internet. We point however to the fact that the work of Dobrovich has
already been outdated for some time. The best summarization of the historical
settlement of the Burgenland Croats is provided by Josef Breu's book,
published in Vienna in 1970, which deals with the Croat settlements in
Burgenland and the surrounding areas, as well as today's area of southern
Burgenland. We point to the fact that the Teklits family originates from
Prostrum (Szentpeterfa). Stefan Geosits, the minister of Klingenbach, comes
from Prostrum, who published a book two years ago about the village of
Prostrum. The Teklits family descends from the gentry (small nobility).
Prostrum was a part of the Domain of Eberau that belonged to the Erdody
family in the 16th century (until 1557), then due to an exchange of
possessions (in 1614) between the families of Zrinyi and Erdody belonged to
Zrinyi, and came back to Erdody again in 1614. The Croatian settlement took
place around 1560, when the Domain of Eberau was already in the possession of
the Zrinyi family. In 1561 Nikolaus Zrinyi obtained permission from Ferdinand
I to settle Croats on his possessions in West Hungary, in the counties of
Eisenburg and Zala. We have attached a copy of the referenced document. For
the Landesregierung, Dr. Felix Tobler (end of letter)

(Ed. Note: While in Austria last week, member Klaus Gerger gave me a copy of
Robert Hajszan's book "Die Kroaten der Herrschaft Gssing", Literas-Verlag
Wien 1991. It contains an English summary of Croatian origins in the Gssing
area which I'll be sharing with readers eventually. It appears to be in
complete agreement with Dobrovich's work. Now we need similar works
concerning the origins of the Germans, Hungarians, Jews and Gypsies in the
Burgenland!)
(Newsletter continues as 52A.)

This thread: