BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 54B dtd 31 Mar 1999 (edited)
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 08:13:48 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 54B
(issued biweekly by
March 31, 1999
(all rights reserved)

This third section of the 3 section newsletter contains some member
correspondence about Email Confusion, A Chuckle & A Thank You, Nazareth, PA
Enclave, A Homepage For The Village Of Eberau, Greetings From Gssing, Union
Mills, IL Enclave, A Burgenland Military Picture and Response To Surface Mail
Concerning Gssing Ancestors.

CONFUSION ABOUT EMAIL
<< Help!! once again I need your assistance. I am now in St. Cloud , MN. I
was in St. Paul, MN. I am getting your newsletter, but none of the mail that
each member sends out......have things changed......have I made some
errors.......What? Betty Mische >>

Answer: No problem if you are receiving our newsletters. You will only get
member mail if I hear from someone else researching your villages, at which
time I'll copy you and some others. We have 300 members, if you heard from
all of them (copies) you'd be swamped. We don't operate like other lists-too
much mail of no interest to all. Gerry Berghold

A CHUCKLE AND A THANK YOU
Two recent notes which I thought would be of interest:
(1) In a message dated 99-03-18 18:50:04 EST, you write:
<< From::. Is anyone in the
Burgenland Bunch researching the Bunch surname?>>

Answer: No, but I can see why you thought we might be. The Burgenland Bunch
(Bunch here being synonymous with group) are 300 people involved with family
history in the Province of Burgenland in Austria (Hungary pre 1921). Our
European correspondents also have occasional problems with our choice of a
name which doesn't translate well in German. G. Berghold

(2) <<To all of you, WOW!!! You can double that WOW!! The trunk full of
information that I received is beyond my highest hopes, believe me. For the
past couple of months I have been trying to break down the brick wall I had
come up against, lo and behold, it took the BURGENLAND BUNCH to do it , it
was like seeing the Berlin Wall coming down all over again. Thank all of you
so very,very much. YOU ALL ARE THE GREATEST!!! Sincerely, Alex Tschaar
(Ed.-this is the gentleman -new member-who said he'd like to know something
about his ancestors before he joins them!)

REPORT FROM ENCLAVE OF NAZARETH, PA (courtesy of Phyllis Sauerzopf)
Ed. Note: While I'm pleased we've grown so quickly, I miss the frequent
member contacts of earlier days. Of course we run out of things to say and
many members when they do write, now apologize and say "I know you're busy, I
don't want to bother you." Lately when scanning the member list I've found
myself thinking "I wonder if so and so has had any luck and have they heard
about so and so." While I promise myself I'll write and ask, another load of
new member requests hits my incoming file and it never gets done. Every so
often however, a member will send a note that I feel I must answer
immediately, so the new requests get put on the back burner while I answer.
The following is one of them:

From: (Phyllis Sauerzopf)
Dear Gerry, I was looking at the villages being researched and noticed blanks
after Kulm. The Kulm that I am researching is separated from Eberau by a
small stream. The church for Eberau and Kulm was Szent Peterfa. The Hungarian
name for Kulm was Ko'lom. The district Gssing. I want to thank you so very
much for what you are doing for us. There is a LDS Family History Center
right here in Nazareth,Pa. on Rose Inn Avenue, so I don't even have to drive
to Allentown. It is so exciting for me to have the records of my precious
ancestors coming directly to my town. I am starting to provide answers to my
older Traupman relatives who only knew bits and pieces of our heritage and
thought they would never know! The west end of my town where my grandparents
are from was once called Burgenland to those who lived there. Thank you again
for the Burgenland Bunch! I appreciate it very much. Sincerely, Phyllis
(Traupman) Sauerzopf

Answer: Phyllis, Thank you for the kind words. I've asked the homepage editor
to add your Kulm data. I thought we had all of the villages straightened out
but some get missed. I always like to hear how members are progressing. Many
rarely let me know-maybe they think I have enough to do, but sometimes I can
help them or even write an article about their progress as I'm going to do
with your note.

Glad to hear Nazareth has an LDS FHC-are any of the volunteers Burgenland
descendants? Doubt it as most would be Catholic. The reason I ask is that I
could send them some material like our village lists, which they could use to
help others. Maybe you've already done that. By the way Kulm was in district
Szombathely as you say, but pre 1921. It is now in Bezirk Gssing. It is also
part of Marktgemeinde Eberau along with Gaas, Kroatisch Ehrensdorf and
Winten.That stream is one of the tributaries of the Pinka River, the
Rodlingbach which has its source in a small lake in the Fidischerwald north
east of Harmisch. It joins the Neugraben just north of Kulm and flows into
the Pinka at Gaas.

I have a copy of the book "The Village of Phoenix"-is this the same part of
Nazareth you said was referred to as Burgenland? Is Phoenix the east end?
Having been born and raised in Allentown I should know Nazareth better but I
was only there a few times. Do you know Paul Wukovitz, author of the book? I
notice a William Sauerzopf as part of the Heritage Committee. Are you married
into the John Sauerzopf family? I also see a Dr. Arnold F. Traupman in the
list of donors for the book. I assume you've read my review of the
book-newsletter number 23. Many other Nazareth articles, nos. 14, 17, 19. I
heard from BB member Joseph Tanzos a few times and he sent me the book but I
haven't heard from him lately. Do you know him? Anna Kresh, our Internet
editor also has Nazareth connections. If you're researching the church
records of Szentpeterfa you must correspond with members Frank Teklits and
John Lavendoski.

I have a book listing the drawings of Eduard Sauerzopf (uncle of our
Burgenland editor Albert Schuch) which was just issued. He now lives in
Neumarkt an der Raab. This is a well known name in southern Burgenland so
there is probably no link unless you've been contacted by Albert Schuch (his
mother is a Sauerzopf from Kleinpetersdorf). Nazareth is an important
Burgenland immigrant enclave (as is most of the Lehigh Valley) so please keep
in touch and send me anything that may be of interest in this respect.

The following was just received from Albert:
<http://www.eberau.at>; is the URL for the new homepage of Eberau (in Bezirk
Gssing). Well done, with a lot of information, including a short chronicle.
In German. Includes information on the villages Gaas, Kulm, Kroatisch
Ehrensdorf and Winten (they all belong to the Gemeinde Eberau since 1971).

We have you listed as:
Phyllis Sauerzopf, (); Nazareth, PA; TRAUPMAN, Eberau and
Kulm. PONI (PANY?), Punitz and Kulm, FANDL, Kulm.

I guess you are aware that Traupmann and Fandl are still in the Eberau phone
book. Keep in touch and best regards, Gerry Berghold

GREETINGS FROM GSSING
Member Heinz Koller sends the following:(with my appologies for publishing it
so late) > (you mention)....Gssing Bu"rgermeister names from 1921,
Salvachrist, Fischl, Artinger, Vestner, Potzmann, Krammer, Po"lz, Schwarz,
Matschnigg, Glaser, Mazgan, Holper.<

Concerning the article about Gssing. I beg to complete the list of
"Brgermeister names from 1921" with the names of the last two Bgmst., Ludwig
Krammer and Peter Vadasz.

Let me tell you that my work for drawing up a book with "Hianzisch words and
expressions" is proceeding - since even Albert Schuch is having me put on
steam!
Please look at my homepage http://members.xoom.com/Heinele, it is the base
for the book. There you also will find the link to "Pater Leopold", my
special clerical friend. Next year he will celebrate the 60th anniversary of
taking the holy order of a priest - and his greatest wish is to celebrate the
jubilee in the USA, in the midst of the "Burglanders". Maybe you can help to
realize this dream of a magnificent old fool (next year he will be 87!).
Heinz Koller, A-7540 Gssing, Bergstrae 13
, http://www.bnet.at/guessing

UNION MILLS, IN -ANOTHER ENCLAVE NEAR CHICAGO (from Tom Glatz)
I had an interesting weekend. I rec'd a call from a Wilhelm Heissenberger
who is the mayor of Unterrabnitz. He was in America staying with his cousin
Ed Kammerath in Union Mills, Indiana, about 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive from here.
He explained that Walter Dujmovits had given him my name along with others.
He said he wanted to visit & would call me the following Friday....I was
curious because I know the basic families from Burgenland who settled in
Union Mills. They were all from Unterrabnitz & Lockenhaus. They were all
mostly Haspel, Flasch, & Janisch. Then when I met them on Saturday, I
realized they were both from the Flasch lines. Flasch married Janisch from
Lockenhaus. My grandmother's sister Theresia Schloegl from Hammerteich
married Alois Janisch. They lived in Union Mills for only a couple years
until Alois died & Theresia moved back to Lockenhaus with their 2 children. I
had also known a Flasch woman that I met a few years ago that was related to
these 2 cousins of mine. It turns out that the 2 guys & the Flasch woman are
all cousins.

Willy gave me a bottle of Trockenbeerenauslese from the Neusiedl area & a
very nice Kalender promoting watercolors of a contemporary Austrian artist.
The scenes are from all over Austria. After eating Kipfel, Italian "Pizelles"
& downing some good German white wine, I went with them for the hour ride to
the airport....Willy is trying to help out the winegrowers in Burgenland. I
guess his cousin Ed had unsuccessfully asked some of the Burgenlaender here
for help. I tried to give them both some advice. I also gave them copies of
our newsletters. Willy hopes to be on-line soon. They were very interested.
They see each other every year one way or the other. One year Ed goes out
there & one year Willy comes here.

BURGENLAND MILITARY PICTURE (from Phyllis Sauerzopf)
My dad also received a picture of his grandfather and maybe you can help me
with it. The picture is 9"X14" framed and with glass. Pl is in the center in
a military uniform. There is an actual photo of his head, but the body in
uniform and everything else in the picture is drawn and painted, very
colorfully. The jacket is dark blue, the collar, sleeve cuffs and pants are a
lighter blue. There is a hat setting off to the side that is blue also. There
is a sword and black boots. Across the top written in German it reads, In
memory of my period of service 1880. On the bottom left it reads "Unity and
Strength". On the bottom right it reads "Mighty and Free". Across the bottom
it reads VIVAT AUSTRIA. There are three heads above him encircled with green
wreaths, all males, one older, one younger and one a small boy. Below their
necks you can see that each is wearing a different uniform. To the right of
my grandfather far in the distance there is a white castle with a stream in
front of it. There are flags with 2 birds,wings expanding and facing opposite
ways. There are 2 odd shaped banners with colors divided diagonally. One is
white and black. The other is red, white and green. The picture is in very
good shape considering it is 120 years old and made a trip across the ocean!
Could you tell me what military unit a man from Kolom,Hungary would have
served in and where?

Answer: In 1867, Hungary was given partial independance, but Austria retained
control of international relations and the military. What you describe is the
common blue Austrian infantry uniform of the late 1800's period. The major
army affair during this period was the occupation of Bosnia in 1878. The
birds are probably eagles as they appear on the Habsburg coat of arms. White
and black is probably an Austrian army flag-the red-white and green, the
Hungarian one. Being from Kulm, I'd say he was a member of KuK Infanterie
Regt. 83 (still a unit from Szombathely in WWI) or its former designation
which I don't know. The three pictures are probably three generations of the
Habsburg line (Franz Josef, Crown Prince Rudolf (b1858) and the child I don't
know (?).(If any member has a similar picture or a better answer, please
write).

RESPONSE TO SURFACE MAIL QUESTION RE GSSING RESEARCH
(Ed. Note: I hope all of our BB members will consider similar answers to any
questions they may receive from non-members-spreading the BB gospel this way
helps all of us.)

From: To:
William, Your letter and copies arrived on Wednesday. Sorry it took me till
today to react.There is no question that your greatgrandparents lived in
Gssing, Burgenland (Hungarian name Nmet Ujvr). The Aloys versus Alois
spellings are of no relevance... these are simply variations of the same
thing.

The first document is a transcript of the rom-cath baptismal entry of your
grandfather. It states that he was born in Gssing, house no. 38 (probably
where the family lived), to parents Albert Josef Staar, rom-cath, master
blacksmith, born in Moschendorf, and Anna nee Gotthard, rom-cath, born in
Deutschschtzen. The baptism happened four days after the birth (birth on
March 16, 1909, baptism on March 20). The godparents were Josef Nikischer
and Johanna Semler.

Your grandfather received the baptismal rites from the famous Father Gratian
Leser who headed the Franciscan Convent in Gssing and is unforgotten to this
day due to the "village series" he wrote about the history of Burgenland
villages, and other historical articles about the country.

The second paper is a transcript of the birth entry from the civil records.
It puts the birth of Albert Josef Staar also on March 16, 1909; it was
recorded on March 21. It lists father Alois Staar as a blacksmith
("Schmied"... as you can see, this is his profession, not his origin), and
the parent couple as living (and possibly belonging to) Gssing. This entry
provides the age of the parents, namely 47 years each. I believe that the
rightmost column simply states that the birth was reported by the father
(Alois Staar) and entered in the records by Emil Hollo, likely the town's
notary.

William, you stand an excellent chance to unravel data on your ancestors via
the microfilms that can be ordered via the Family History Centers of LDS.
Check the so-called Salt Lake City Library index (on fiche) for Austria,
Burgenland, and Gssing. Go for the civil birth records, starting with 1909
(your grandfather's birth) and working your way backwards. The civil
recordings before 1907 were much more detailed, i.e., provided possibly more
data on the origin and age of the parents. Assuming the couple had lived in
Gssing over a longer period.

I believe you should also check births after 1909 to see if any older
siblings of your grandfather were already married themselves and had
children. You may also scan the death records for siblings who died young or
other members of the household like grandparents who may have lived with the
family, also the marriage records for marriages in Gssing of any siblings.
Especially the girls would most likely have married in the town of their
parents, i.e., Gssing.

The civil records span Oct. 1895 through the end of 1920. They are in
Hungarian. If you run into any problem of interpretation, please let me
know. The records of Gssing are quite voluminous and you face a challenge in
scanning through them. However, I find this kind of hunting emotionally very
rewarding.

For the time before October 1895, you may order the rom-cath church records,
especially if you have not accounted for all 9 or so siblings yet when you
reach the start of the civil records. Then you should study the rom-cath
records of Moschendorf (Nagysaroslak) in about 1862 for the birth of Alois
(Alajos) Staar, and the rom-cath records of Deutsch Schtzen (Nemet Lv) of
the same period for the birth of Anna nee Gotthard. The marriage of the
couple might have been held and recorded in Deutsch Schtzen, or Gssing,
Moschendorf, or yet another place. Try first to come close to the
prospective marriage date by finding the earliest possible child births to
the couple.

Let me also mention that there is a group in the Internet who share a common
interest in the Burgenland. The group is the Burgenland Bunch, and was
founded by Gerry Berghold (originally from Allentown, PA, now Winchester, VA)
who edits a biweekly newsletter. If you have not done so, you may want to
take a look at our web site at
http://www.spacestar.com/users/hapander/burgen.html and the other material
there. This is an entirely non-commercial joint venture and I feel very much
at home with the co-members of the bb. In any case, please keep me updated
how it goes. Best regards, Fritz

REGISTRAR FROM RUST BECOMES MEMBER (from Ewald Bulfone)
Reiherweg 8/2/2, A 7071 Rust, Austria- email:

I am working on family trees for me and my wife! We are researching the area
of southern Burgenland - Rudersdorf, Dobersdorf, Raba fuezes, Koenigsdorf,
Limbach, for my wife and Styria - Neudau, Neudauberg, Burgau, Burgauberg,
Hackerberg, Fehring for me. Researching in Burgenland DALKNER (also TALKNER,
TALGNER), BAUER, WIRTH, LEITGEB, VENUS (also FENOS), KRAMER (also KRAMMER),
LORENZ, UNGER, SCHNECKER, ERNST, GIBISER, STROBL, WEILAND, WINTER, SCHOBER,
ZEDL, MAYFURTH (also MAIFURTH), KOGELMANN, GMELL, KNIG (KOENIG), SCHIMPL,
KOHL, ZACH, SCHMALDIENST.

One of our relatives - Rose Schober, married to BAUER emigrated to Allentown,
PA. I am working at the city hall of Rust - there I am also the registrar
(Standesbeamter). - So if there are any queries about Rust I may be able to
help.

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, Contact
for information about the Burgenland Bunch.

This thread: