BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 55 dtd 15 April 1999 (edited)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 07:34:36 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 55
(issued biweekly by
April 15, 1999
(all rights reserved)

It's almost the year 2000... where are your-Great-G. Grandparents?

This first section of the 3 section newsletter concerns notice of First OZ
Queries in Print, an LDS Test Site On-line, data on the Middle Burgenland
Villages of Salmannsdorf and Redlschlag, More on Farmer Terms, Immigrants of
the Enclave of New Paltz, NY, Burgenland B&B Web Site , a List of 1870
Burgenland Teachers and a New Hianzen Kalendar.

FIRST OZ QUERIES IN PRINT (from Albert Schuch)
The queries # 1 to # 3 were printed in the OZ on 7 April, following a short
introductory article entitled: "Was wurde eigentlich aus ..." Translation:
What ever beame of ...our relatives in America? This question probably has
been raised in many a Burgenland family, for with the dying of the emigrants'
generation contact ceased to exist in many cases - if it even lasted that
long.

Also in America more and more descendants of emigrants start to wonder what
became of their relatives back in the "old country". From now on the OZ will
publish addresses of Americans who are looking for their relatives in
Burgenland. If you think you have found a relation, don't hesitate to write!
If possible, in English. (Contact Albert Schuch if you wish to have a query
printed in a future edition of the Oberwart Zeitung-subscriptions can also be
arranged if desired).

LDS TEST WEB SITE IS ON LINE (courtesy Margaret Kaiser)
A long awaited LDS site is now online in a test version. URL is
http://www.familysearch.org

Ed. Note: I recently visited this site and tried some ancestors in the search
engine. I wanted to see if the LDS had added my genealogical data to their
Ancestral File (previously sent to them). I'm happy to report that the test
was positive. I don't know how many Burgenland descendants have sent material
to the LDS for their files, but I'd certainly check it out. There are some
other things available at the site like a list of Family History Center
Addresses, the IGI File and the Social Security Death Index. As mentioned
previously, this will be a tremendous resource, so visit the test site
frequently and register with them. Apparently the LDS wants to ascertain how
much interest there is in having their material online. While it may be years
before microfilm data will be available online (if ever), having the LDS
indices online will be a plus.

In using their search engine, try different spellings of names. Like all
computer search engines, it looks for perfect matches. I entered a Berghold
marriage combination and got no match. When I entered just the husband
(spelled as entered to the file) I got a match. Try foreign language name
variations as well as US ones.

VILLAGE DATA FROM MIDDLE BURGENLAND (from Albert Schuch)
Taken from Josef LOIBERSBECK: "Um Pilgersdorf und Kogl" (translated extracts
from: Volk und Heimat, 1961, # 8 - # 15/16) [including: this issue
Salmannsdorf, Redlschlag, later issues Kogl, Lebenbrunn, Steinbach.] These
may have been sent directly to some of our older members.

SALMANNSDORF (V+H 11-12/1961) southwest of Bubendorf; first mentioned in 1390
as "Salamonfalu"; was also rented out to lord SPEIDL (like Bubendorf);
inhabitants also became Lutherans (and later returned to Catholic faith), as
was ordered by the domain owners...In 1661 "Solmersdorf" was inhabited by 30
farmers (among these were: 7 STIFTER, 4 HEILING, 1 HOFER, 1 HETLINGER, 1
FLEISCHHACKER) and 2 "Soellner". In 1720 there were only 21 inhabitants. A
chapel (St. Oswald) is thought to have been erected in the 18th century. In
1866 the community bought large forests from the owner of the "Herrschaft"
(domain) Bernstein (Edward Egan, from Ireland). In 1875 the church was built,
replacing the old chapel. A school is said to have existed since 1812, the
name of the first (remembered) teacher is given as BERDAL. Later on a man
named JESTEL from Lockenhaus was teacher, who moved on to Oberkohlstaetten.
Around 1879 Anton POPP was teacher, also from Lockenhaus. His successors were
Kasimir KREN (till 1908) and Elisabeth KORENICH (1909-1922). Her married name
was THOM, and she left for Tschurndorf. In 1921 fights between Austrian
police and Hungarian "Freischaerler" (rebels, guerillas) caused a few
casualties (dead and wounded). Teacher 1922-31 was Anton PRETSCH from Wiener
Neustadt (Lower Austria), 1936-52 Josef THURNER from Langeck, from 1957
Rudolf FATALIN from Pilgersdorf. In 1956 a new school house was built.
FATALIN left for Bubendorf, was followed by Johan BAYER from Donnerskirchen.
In 1888 the road to Gerisdorf was built ... electricity in 1951. Statistical
data: 1833: 36 houses, 298 inhabitants; 1842: 285 inh.; 1863: 228 inh.; 1896:
36 houses, 205 inh.; 1900: 36 houses (these were all wooden houses!), 210
inh.; 1910: 39 houses, 221 inh.; 1923: 194inh.; 1934: 180 inh.; 1951: 42
houses, 166 inh. (144 of these worked in the agricultural sector.
Salmannsdorf belongs to the parish Pilgersdorf.

REDLSCHLAG (V+H 12/1961)
A rather long walk, uphill through large quiet forests leads (from
Salmannsdorf) to the 'mountain' village Redlschlag. (This 'magic' place turns
the historian Loibersbeck into a poet: Quote: "No other village inthis region
lies so high and so close to the sky, like this romantic village, surrounded
by even higher hilltops. Standing here one gets the feeling of being cut of
from the rest of the world." Unquote.) In a document of 1388 R. is called
"Rodulslah", in 1392 "Ruedelslag". The first settlers are thought to have
been German farmers from Styria or Lower Austria, who may have settled here
in the 12th or 13th century. R. always was a part of the domain Bernstein, it
is a mainly protestant village. The domain Bernstein was owned by the noble
family Kanizsay until around 1445, when it came under the rule of the king
and emperor Friedrich III. (of Hapsburg). He gave it (around) 1486 to the
family von Knigsberg. The von Knigsberg were Lutherans, they sold the
Bernstein domain to the Batthyany in 1644. At this time the Batthyany had
already returned to the catholic faith, but the inhabitants of R. (like most
of the domain Bernstein) remained protestants. An Urbar of 1569 lists 13
farmers in "Rietlesschlag": 3 SCHWARZ, 2 BUCHER, 3 PU(E)RCHER, 1 PIRGER, 1
KELLNER, 1 POSCH, 1 ENGELMAIR, 1 PEILSTEINER. In 1720 the village was
inhabited by 26 farmers and 1 Soellner, 5 houses are reported as being
burned. Names of catholic inhabitants of R. from the church records of the
catholic parish Bernstein from 1740 onwards: HUMMEL, PANNER, PIRGER, PRIGLER,
ROSNER, PRIGER, EKAMP; Lutherans: SCHMIDT, PUHR, SCHRANZ, PEHM, ULREICH,
KAPPEL, KAINZ, PRATSCHER, BRENNER, HOLZER etc.

After the law of tolerance of 1781 a catholic church, parish and school was
established in Bernstein. The catholics of R. became part of the (new) parish
Kogl in 1807. A (protestant) school was established in R. in 1813. First
Teacher was Johann PRATSCHER from Redlschlag; 1828-1873 Johann ULREICH from
Dreihuetten; in 1836 a new school house was built. The inhabitants of
Redlschlag kind of bought themselves free from the domain Bernstein in 1846.
They paid16.900 Gulden, which meant did not have to pay further taxes to or
work for the domain owner. Teacher 1874-1902 was Franz POLSTER from
Jormannsdorf. In 1889 the school house was enlarged. Teacher 1916-1938 was
Matthias KARNER from Willersdorf, now (1961) Karl LEITNER from Rechnitz is
teacher. In the 19th century and in the 1920ies a small mining business was
established in R. (copper ores). Statistical data: 1833: 52 houses, 298 inh.;
1863: 424 inh.; 1896: 68 houses, 439 inh.; 1900: 71 houses, 474 inh. (384
protestants, 91 catholics); 1910: 71 houses, 475 inh.; 1923: 466 inh.; 1934:
468 inh.; 1951: 96 houses, 481 inh. (282 employed in the agricultural
sector); 1960: 107 houses.

NEW BOOK (from Joe Jarfass)
I also wanted to let you know that I found a new edition of a place name
dictionary by Gyrgy Lelkes. This is the second, expanded and corrected
edition printed by Talma Publishing in Baja, Hungary 1998 (ISBN 963 85683 13)
and covers the Hungarian portion of the A-H Empire. Cost is $40 with shipping
(if I remember correctly?) Ed. Note: I'm trying to find out how to order this
book. Will advise when known.

MORE ON HUNGARIAN-GERMAN TERMS FOR FARMER
(from Joe Jarfas- & Albert Schuch)
(Ed. Note: Joe was born and raised in Hungary and frequently helps us
translate Hungarian. His comments concerning subject matter in the March 31
newsletter follow.) He writes: "I planned to write to you (BB) for quite a
while, but I am not nearly so well organized like you; takes me a while to
find the time and collect the information. But your latest discussions about
those Hungarian expressions prompted me to add my two cent's worth.

For the listing it mainly relies on the 1910 census and the in 1913 printed
"A Magyar Szent Korona Orszgainak helysgnvtra 1913" titled volume (place
names of the Countries of the Hungarian Holy Crown 1913) but consulted
previous publications as well. The names listed include Latin, German,
Polish, Slovak, Slovene, Croatian, Ukrainian names as well, if they existed.
Also notes variations of the names as well as combined or separated places.
Seem to be quite comprehensive, but of course I did not have too much time to
check it for accuracy.

A few weeks ago I received a 1718 document, almost all in Latin, about the
genealogical proof of a family who lost its nobility and wanted to get it
back. The document actually goes back to 1610 when this particular family
received nobility from Matthias II of Hungary. Since there was a possibility
that a 'Jarfhas' name was mentioned as a relative for this guy in his
genealogical proof, the Hungarian Archives gave us a copy. The researcher in
Hungary sent it to me for translation help which was not easy. I recruited a
friend from Vienna, Austria (who copied and translated the bulk of it) and a
couple of people from the Internet, including one from the LOC. (Library of
Congress) who happened to be of Czech origin. To make a long story short,
with all sorts of experts looking over the original handwritten manuscript
the jury is still out as to the capital letter of the 'Jarfhas' name. (I can
send a .jpg copy if you like, but because I scanned them in (six pages) with
extreme magnification even a page's .jpg compressed file takes .5 MB!!) The
opinions split between P an G with a few thrown in for J. The fact is with
all other capital letters clearly interpreted from the meaning of the words
it does not resemble neither of them. Sent the transcript and translation
back
and waiting for my fellow genealogists' opinion.

Now lets take up (or continue) the discussion about those Hungarian
expressions: Fldm()ves-fldmvel; jobbgy s zsellr. I have to say,
ahead of time, that I do not have historical interpretations about those
words. I am relying on the official single language dictionary of the
Hungarian Language of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences which was printed in
the 1960's. Many expressions were 'colored' by the communist ideology of the
time so some of them have to be looked at with that knowledge in mind. Both
zsellr and jobbgy comes to us from pre 1848 times so they are strictly
feudal expressions. Zsellr refers to persons who owned less than an eight of
a sessio or none. But they were free people and could move from place to
place if they wanted to (in most cases). They remind me of the sharecroppers
of the South - after slavery was abolished.

Jobbgy was characterized by receiving parcels of land from the (large)
landowner for which he had to pay from the yearly produce, other services or
both. Had his own house (given to him by the landowner) but he was not free
to move; no civil rights for these (as we would say nowadays) and the
landowner could be the Church as well. Taxing was so crushing on these that
most of the time they sank deeper and deeper into debt. By the way, some of
these, I imagine depending on family size, could work even a whole sessio of
land. But they never owned any.

Fldmves is in a different category altogether. It refers to an occupation
as well as (normally) small landowners who owned animals (horses, cows and
swine) and worked the land for a living (not too many in pre 1848 times).
Technically any Ndasdy might be considered such if he grabbed the plow
handles behind a pair of oxen and tried to see how he could maneuver it!:-)
But anybody working on land or cultivating it is considered fldmves - to
this day. So zsellr and jobbgy were also fldmves, though jobbgy was not
always working in the fields. He might have tended animals for example. But I
suspect the expression came into vogue after 1848. Paraszt is also related to
this thread: today it is a (somewhat) derogatory
expression denoting an uneducated, ill mannered person. Back then (but most
likely near the end of the 19th century) it denoted a field worker without
land; a farm hand.

By the way, Fritz's remark about nemtelen strictly means that it does not
belong to the nobility. (General) nobility in Hungarian is 'nemes'. Non
nobility is 'nemtelen', therefore the large majority of the common folk were.

Bob Schatz is right: the post revolutionary arrangements, specifically the
1867 treaty eliminated those positions (conditions) from existing, therefore
the use of those words fall into disuse. But he mixes up the status of
zsellr and jobbgy (though I'm sure there were hazy areas between them).

One more small quibble before I end this long drawn expos: Your use of the
Bezirk which is strictly a German term. We have some very good English
expressions for it in 'township' or 'district' which are subdivisions of a
county - as far as I know. In Burgenland and all over Hungary, each county:
Vas, Somogy, Sopron, etc. are subdivided into (jrs [plural jrsok]) or
districts, or as they are called here in Pennsylvania in Wayne county (where
I live): townships (mine is Manchester). They consist of multiple communities
with one (designated) district government seat. The same thing holds true for
jrs - and I believe these divisions preexisted 1848. (Since I'm not a
Professor of Hungarian or History [or even Herstory:-)] some nuances might
not hold water under historical scrutiny; but we have to get into deeper
water [I mean research] to fully uncover the truth.)"

Albert Schuch Adds: A Dictionary from 1912 says: jobbgy = der Lehensmann,
Untertan, Fronbauer, Untertan = alattval, jobbgy A Dictionary from 1881 (of
this one, I only own the German-Hungarn part) says the same for "Untertan"

In 1894 ethnologist J. R. BNKER wrote an article about types of farmhouses
in the denburg area. He conducted his research in the villages that had once
belonged to the municipial domain of denburg, namely in Wandorf, Agendorf,
Loipersbach, Klingenbach, Mrbisch, Wolfs,
Kohlenhof und Harkau. Of these, Klingenbach und Kohlenhof were Croatian
villages, the others German. He writes:

The farmers count their property in "Achteln" (eights). (The size of one
eighth varies from village to village (ca. 3 - 7 Joch)). Only an owner of of
8 eights is allowed to call himself a FULL "Bauer" (farmer). Everyone with at
least an "Achtel" property is also a farmer, so there are 1/8-farmers,
3/8-farmers, 5/8-farmers etc.There are 3 groups of owners of property who
cannot call themselves farmers:
1) The "Hofstattler" own a house and land, but the size of the land is less
than an "Achtel". They also have, like the farmers, the right to use the
forests ("(Urbarial-)Wald") and pastures ("Hutweide") of the community.

2) The "Kleinhusler" or "Sldner" own a house, but no land. Still they have,
like farmers and "Hofstattler", the right to use the forests and pastures.

3) The "Neuhusler" own a house and nothing else, meaning they are not
entitled to usage of the common forests and pastures.

Note: Not listed here are those who do not own property at all, i.e. the
"subinquilini" or "Inwohner". In view of the above, I would translate
octavalista as 1/8-farmer.

ENCLAVE OF NEW PALTZ, NY (from Carol Johnson Tanczos)
(Ed. Note: Every time I think I know all of the enclaves settled by
Burgenland immigrants, a new one pops up. New member Carol Tanczos sends the
following.)
"....I am sorry it has taken me a few days to get back to you, the wealth of
information you have provided me is really overwhelming.... Anna Kresh has
also provided me with info on the Tanczos family in Kroatisch
Tschantschendorf (KT). Can you plese send me info on that town? (Thanks in
advance). Also, I have had time to go over my notes and the Malits were from
Hasendorf, the Richters and Eberhardts from Tobaj. Thank you for sending the
data that you did on Rauchwart. My brother-in-law is the Mayor of Rauchwart.

I am collecting info for you on the Burgenlanders here in New Paltz (NP).
The Racz family had a boarding house here in the late 50's early 60's. Josef
Racz was from ? and his wife was Valerie Raubold from Tobaj. Their daughter
Helen told me that her mother went back and forth to Burgenland with her
older brother and younger brother being born in Tobaj and her and her sister
born in New Jersey. Her parents bought the farm up here in 1942. Helen's
sister then married a Frank Pani from KT and her niece married Walter
Jandrisevits from KT. They came here in the middle 1960's about the time my
husband did in 1964. My husband first came to NP with his uncles to stay at
the boarding house during the summer on weekends. He moved up here with his
ex-wife (Inge Deutsch from Rosenberg) in 1968. Soon to follow him was his
sister-in-law and her husband Frank Kurta from Klein Murbisch and their
relatives the Joe Unger's and the Karl Gargers from Strem. Have you ever
heard of the Joe Unger Band? Joe Unger, Jr. is married to my husband's
cousin, the Former Gertrude Richter. His band plays at many Austrian &
German clubs in the Tri-State area. He always plays when Miss Burgenland is
crowned in NYC by the First Burgenlander Club. My Husband is a member of
that club and his brother, Erwin Tanczos is the Vice-President. We met Dr.
Walter Dujmovits at one of their functions a few years ago. Walter's uncle,
Rudolf Richter from Tobaj and his wife Emilie Bauman from Rauchwart moved up
here in 1988 from NYC. I'll have to get the year they came from Austria, I
know they went back and forth at least twice. Hans Neubauer from Strem and
the Domitrovits brothers, Joe and John also from Strem came in the late
60's. Joe owns the "Austrian Village" restaurant. Joe's wife is the former
Mary ann Hafner from Gerersdorf and Hans' wife is the former Susie Baer from
Harmisch. Another Burgenlander was John Wagner who owned another retaurant
here and has since died. My friend Linda Heidenwolf Riefmuller is from
Moschendorf.....Before this job I worked at the Huguenot Historical Society
compiling genealogies on the founding families of New Paltz. New Paltz was
founded by a group of Huguenot families and their original stone houses are a
National Historic Site. If you would like to visit their website their
address is www.hhs.newpaltz.org.

WEB SITE SHOWS BURGENLAND B&B'S- "Zimmer Frei" (Albert Schuch)
Let me add a few bits of information I gathered from reading our local papers
at home: I remember someone from the membership asking about where to stay
while on holiday in Burgenland. The website
<http://www.burgenland.farmholidays.com/>; is said to list 70 (out of 130)
farmers in Burgenland who provide rooms for tourists. The website (sorry, I
didn't check it out yet) also should include photos and prices.

I also read that the basketball team of Gssing has an American coach (Paul
McCann) and two American players, brothers Alwin and John Mobley from
Rochester, NY. So today, the Americans emigrate to Gssing ...?

BURGENLAND TEACHERS IN THE DISTRICT OF RECHNITZ 1870 (Albert Schuch)
A booklet entitled "Bericht ber den katholischen Lehrerverein des Distriktes
Rechnitz in der Dizese Steinamanger 1870" (published in 1870) gives some
information about the Catholic Teachers' Society of the Rechnitz district,
founded on 20th May 1869 in Grosspetersdorf.
Following are the names of the members. I shortened their titles. Villages
names are shown as spelled in this booklet ("Podersdorf" for "Badersdorf"
etc.).

Katholischer Lehrerverein des Distriktes Rechnitz ... 1870:
Prsident: Erzpriester Franz ILLS, Viceprses: Lehrer Franz
HORVTH
1. Schriftfhrer: Oberlehrer Anton JANDL, 2. Schriftfhrer: Lehrer Franz FRITZ
Bibliothekar: Kaplan Emerich IRITZER, Kassier: Lehrer Andreas
TEMEL
Kontrolor: Lehrer Franz HAMETLER, Protektor: Stefan KRANCZ, Abt
und Domherr in Steinamanger.
Ordentliche Mitglieder:
1. Franz ILLS, Erzpriester und Pfarrer (P), 2. Anton JANDL, Oberlehrer (OL)
in Gro-Petersdorf, 3. Johann REHLING, Schullehrer (SL) in Miedlingsdorf, 4.
Franz HAMETLER, SL in Klein-Petersdorf, 5. Emerich IRITZER, Kaplan (K) in
Gro-Petersdorf 6. Johann Nep. v. LELOVITS, P in Jabing, 7. Andreas TEMEL,
Lehrer (L) in Jabing 8. Paul SZEISZER, P in Schlaining, 9. Franz HORVTH, L
in Schlaining, 10. Alois HENGGE, P in Mischendorf, 11. Anton PZMN, L in
Mischendorf, 12. Georg TITZ, L in Kodeziken13. Josef SPRANG, L in Rohrbach,
14. Josef SCHWARZ, L in Kroatdorf, 15. Anton BIRKLER, P in Kirch-Fidisch, 16.
Josef BERGER, L in Kirch-Fidisch, 17. Josef PATZELT, L in Kho-Fidisch, 18.
Johann PERNITZ, L in Podersdorf, 19. Franz FRITZ, L in Hannersdorf, 20.
Alexander DKKER, L in Burg, 21. Franz LINDENMAYER, P in Hannersdorf, 22.
Andreas BARILITS, P in Schandorf, 23. Demeter SZUCSICH, L in Schandorf, 24.
Georg FRIDECZKY, P in Gro-Naring, 25. Nikolaus DREISZKER, L in Gro-Naring,
26. Mathias SZINKOVICH, L in Ober-Schilding, 27. Franz SCHMAL, L in Rechnitz,
28. Johann FRISCH, Unterlehrer (UL) in Rechnitz, 29. Josef DREISZKER, L in
Schachendorf, 30. Anton PLOHOVITS, L in Drnbach 31. Stefan BEERY, P in
Drnbach, 32. Georg PLANKY, K in Drnbach, 33. Anton MARTON, L in Hodisz, 34.
Franz GLUDOVSZ, L in Zuberbach, 35. Franz BRKOVITS, P in Weiden 36. Franz
KOSZ, L in Weiden, 37. Michael RAFFEL, L in Neumarkt, 38. Johann MILITICH, P
in Neumarkt, 39. Anton JAHUTKA, SL in Oberdorf, 40. Franz GRAF, SL in
Olbendorf

Auerordentliche Mitglieder:
1. Johann KOPSZ, Abt und Domherr in Steinamanger, 2. Karl Graf BATTHYANY von
Schlaining, 3. Johann ZAGLITSCH, Marktrichter in Gro-Petersdorf, 4. Alois
SCHWEITZER, Kaufmann in Gro-Petersdorf, 5. Stefan KEGLEVICH, Kaufmann in
Gro-Petersdorf, 6. Anton PAPP, Landesgeschworener von Mischendorf, 7. Josef
POLAG, von Kodezicken, 8. Johann HALWAX, von Mischendorf, 9. Johann HAAS, von
Mischendorf, 10. Paul OSWALD, von Rohrbach, 11. Adam PLANK von Bachselten,
12. Franz WALTER von Mischendorf, 13. Johann SAURER von Jabing, 14. Mathias
TOMISZER von Jabing, 15. Franz HERITS von Jabing

NEW HIANZEN KALENDER
The HIANZEN-KALENDER can be ordered from:Burgenlaendisch-Hianzische
Gesellschaft ("Hianzenverein"), Gottlieb August Wimmer-Platz 1/EG 4, Postfach
31
A-7432 Oberschtzen, Austria-or per FAX: 0043 33 53 6160 0043 = Austria

The Burgenlandisch-Hianzische Gesellschaft ("Hianzenverein") offers all
interested people the HIANZEN-KALENDER 1999, price ATS 100,-, about $9,-. If
you want more information please write. With best greetings from the HIANZEN
in Burgenland, Austria Mag. Herbert Pesenhofer
(Newsletter continues as no. 55A).

This thread: