BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 55B dtd 15 April 1999 (edited)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 07:35:20 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 55B
(issued biweekly by
April 15, 1999
(all rights reserved)

This third section of the 3 section newsletter contains An Invitation to the
Second Annual Midwest BB Picnic, Some Questions and Answers from WorldGenWeb
Postings, Another Name For Pamhagan, Another Kotz Generation and Jewish
Cemeteries in Burgenland.

SECOND ANNUAL MIDWEST BURGENLAND PICNIC (from Susan M. Peters)
Hi Everyone, Mark your calendars! Hap Anderson has made the reservations for
the picnic at Wabun Park, adjacent to Minnehaha Park, in Minneapolis,
Minnesota for the Midwest chapter of the Burgenland Bunch. Same place as last
year. We have reserved both sides of the pavilion. For this email list I
used the membership list emailed in January, plus the membership changes and
additions in the subsequent B-Bunch newsletters. I chose the people living
near Minnesota and others who mentioned Minnesota in their family research
lists. Please feel free to invite any other family and friends you may wish
to. If you don't care to receive any more information about the picnic, just
drop a quick email to me at <>. (That's an "L" in
lmco.) Here are the essentials:

Date: Sunday, August 8, 1999, Time: 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Where: Wabun Park (adjacent to Minnehaha Park), Minneapolis, MN

We hope to see everyone there and renew and make new friendships and
cousins!!! More details later! Thanks, Hap and Susan

WORLD GEN WEB POSTINGS-G. Berghold
Since I edit this newsletter as well as host WorldGenWeb-Burgenland (see
signature at end of this newsletter section for URL), it would be impossible
for me to answer every WGW query. I am therefore very pleased that some of
our BB members are reading these queries and posting answers. A great way to
share our data. On occasion I'll publish some of the more interesting ones. I
suggest that all BB members read the WGW postings-you never know when one
will give you a contact. Many are made by non-members. All queries and
answers are archived and can found at WGW-Burgenland. To reply to these
postings or communicate with the senders you must respond using the WGW
bulletin board (unless email addresses are given). Do not contact the BB
newsletter as we do not have non-member email addresses.

Burgenland Province-Austria Queries
A new message, "Lorenz, Kappel/ Neunkirchen area," was posted by Mari Lorenz
on Fri, 26 Feb 1999. The message reads as follows:
"Would like any info on Kappel family of Neunkirchen, also Lorenz family of
Neunkirchen.

A new message, "Kappel surname," was posted by Gerry Stifter on Sat, 27 Feb
1999 It is a response to "Kappel/Burgenland," posted by Mari Lorenz on Fri,
26 Feb 1999. The message reads as follows:

"Mari, my gr gr grandmother was Maria Kappel. She married Michael Stifter.
Their daughter Agnes was born about 1826 in Salmansdorf, Burgenland Austria.
She married Joseph Stifter 21 November 1843 in Pilgersdorf, Burgenland. Their
son Paul, my grandfather emigrated to America in 1868. Don't have any other
information about Kappels, although Kappels settled in my home town (Winsted,
MN)"

A new message, "Kappel," was posted by Fritz Knigshofer on Fri, 26 Feb 1999
It is a response to "Lorenz, Kappel/ Neunkirchen area," posted by Mari Lorenz
on Fri, 26 Feb 1999

The message reads as follows:
"The Kappels seem to be concentrated in the Middle to Southern Burgenland. I
have come across Kappels in the records of Rechnitz. However, a check of the
Austrian phone directory (www.etb.at; use "Erweiterte Suche," then Burgenland
as "Bundesland" and Kappel as name) immediately makes clear that there are
too many Kappels spread out there in order to draw conclusions for your own
ancestry. However, the concentration of the name in the villages of
Redlschlag and Steinbach, close to the border with Lower Austria, easily
suggests a possible migration to or from the Neunkirchen and/or so-called
Bucklige Welt ("humpy world") area.
Neunkirchen is in Lower Austria, and you should post your query also on the
board for that province, the name of which in German is Niedersterreich."

A new message, "ECKHARDT / ERNST," was posted by Janet Cobb on Fri, 19 Mar
1999
The message reads as follows:
"Paul Eckhardt and his wife, Elisabeth Ernst, moved to Kortvelyes, Hungary
(now Pama, Austria) before 1826. Parish register gives previous origin as
"Margarethon". In the general vicinity of Kortvelyes I find St. Margit to the
south and Margarethen am Moos about 20 miles west. Neither place has pre-1826
records available for search. Any suggestions on how to trace this family
back further? Their surnames are not found in the 1700s Moson County Tax
Lists (in any county)."

A new message, "Margarethen," was posted by Fritz Knigshofer on Fri, 19 Mar
1999 It is a response to "ECKHARDT / ERNST," posted by Janet Cobb on Fri, 19
Mar 1999. The message reads as follows:
"Probably the Szentmargit you found is the one near Eisenstadt, formerly
Margita in county Sopron? The records dating back to 1826/28 are probably the
duplicates which have also been filmed by LDS. The original records in the
parishes or, alternatively, at the diocesan archives in Eisenstadt, reach
back further, normally to the beginning of the recording in the parish.
However, these records can only be studied on location. A good source of
information for you might be the volumes of the so-called Landestopographie
of the Burgenland, provided you can read German. Unfortunately, the volume of
most interest for you dealing with the Neusiedl district is out of print, and
you could only access it at a library. The volumes on the districts
Eisenstadt and Mattersburg can be ordered from the Landesarchiv Burgenland,
Europaplatz 1, 7000 Eisenstadt, Austria."

A new message, "Assistance needed to find records," was posted by Norman
Gludovatz on Thu, 25 Mar 1999. The message reads as follows:
"I am at a standstill in my research, and I realize that I must go back in my
research and get some primary documentation. But I am unsure how to do it. So
help if you can. I live in Canada, and I am researching my family who were
from the province of Burgenland. So here are my questions:

#1-I want to get a birth certificate and a marriage certificate of my
Grandfather. He was born and married in Klingenbach. His birth was in 1900,
and marriage in 1926. This information is not covered by the LDS - FHC
microfilming. Where do I get this information from, and how?
#2-I want to get a death certificate for my Great Grandfather.... I do not
have a date of death....However it would be after 1929... I really want to
find the death certificate so that it may tell me his date and place of
birth. I believe that he died in Klingenbach as well. Where do I get this
information from, and how? Any suggestion on how I may find this information.
Do I need to be in Austria to get the information? Can I write for the
information, and to whom do I write?

A new message, "Klingenbach records," was posted by Fritz Konigshofer on Fri,
26 Mar 1999 It is a response to "Assistance needed to find records," posted
by Norman Gludovatz on Thu, 25 Mar 1999. The message reads as follows:
"Please see Albert's village data at
http://www.spacestar.net/users/hapander/burgen6.html
Accordingly, the civil records for Klingenbach should be under Schattendorf,
and normally should be available from LDS (check the Salt Lake City Library
fiche catalog for Austria, Burgenland, Schattendorf). If LDS has these
records, then they cover the period from October 1895 till end of 1920, and
thus should contain the birth record of your grandfather, and possibly of his
siblings. When you receive the film, look for records with the village
address Kelenpatak, the Hungarian name for Klingenbach. A typical Hungarian
civil birth record of 1900 would contain the names, ages, birth places, and
religion of both parents and some other information.

A new message, "Thek," was posted by Fritz Knigshofer on Sat, 19 Dec 1998.
It is a response to "THEK," posted by Ing. Richard Thek on Mon, 13 Jul 1998.
The message reads as follows:

"The Thek could be the noble family Tk, also spelled Thk, Tiek and similar,
from Jabing in Southern Burgenland. The Hungarian name of the village was
Jobbagy. The village is located near Grosspetersdorf. Tk descendents
obviously were present in other parts of Hungary as well, e.g. Kassa (now
Kosice in Slovakia)."

A new message, "HORVATH, STERZ, KAPOSI, JURKOVITS," was posted by Laszlo
B. APATHY, III on Sat, 26 Dec 1998. The message reads as follows:
Laszlo B. APATHY, III
AAA - Apati/Apathy Ancestral Association (sk Trsasga) (1995)
(de NagyTot & Woldorf/Dombos, Transylvania, Hungary, Nov.1609)
191 Selma Ave., Englewood, FLorida 34223-3830 USA; Tel: 941-474-4774
NEW 1999 EMail:

A new message, "Schuetter & Friesl," was posted by Bill Schuetter on Sat, 26
Dec 1998
The message reads as follows: Researching Schuetter (Schtter) and Friesl
names from Pinkafeld. Alexander Schtter, my grandfather (Sept. 6, 1897 to
Nov 18, 1960, Chicago) and his parents, Alois and Anna (Gratzl) Schtter.
Anna's parents were Georg Anton Gratzl (Dec. 31, 1821 - ?) and Clara Gyacky
(Aug 16, 1811 - Jan 11, 1858).

My Grandmother, Gisela Friesl (Apr. 27, 1900 to Nov. 13, 1998, Chicago) and
her parents, Andreas Friesl, Jr. (Mar. 22, 1871 to May 29, 1955) and Maria
(Friesl) Friesl (Dec. 8, 1868 to Dec. 16, 1946). Other names include Prl and
Luisperbeck. Link: Schuetter & Schafer Family Home Page. URL:
<http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/s/c/h/Bill-Schuetter/>;

A new message, "Keglovitz Posting," was posted by Bill Schuetter on Sat, 26
Dec 1998 It is a response to "KEGLOVITZ(S), REDL (RAEDEL),CSEKITS," posted
by Betty Godfrey on Sat, 18 Jul 1998. The message reads as follows: "I have a
Catherina Keglovics (spelling could be different) in my family tree. Married
to a Stefan Gyacky (this is all mainly in Burgenland, then part of Hungary),
they had a son named "Pil" (1789 - 1831), who married Maria Luisperbeck (1786
- 1854). Pil and Maria had a daughter named Clara (1811 - 1858), who, in
1840, married Georg Anton Gratzl (1821 - ?). They had a daughter, Anna, who
married Alois Schtter. Anna died in 1936, after having had 14 children in
Pinkafeld, among them my grandfather, Alexander Schuetter (Schtter) (1897 -
1960 in Chicago).

A new message, "Schtter/Gratzl Marriage," was posted by Fritz Knigshofer on
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 It is a response to "Schuetter & Friesl," posted by Bill
Schuetter on Sat, 26 Dec 1998
The message reads as follows: "My own notes from the r-c records of Unterwart
(Als r) list the marriage of Schtter Alajos [= Alois], 23, a flower miller
from Szalonak (Altschlaining), with Gratzl Anna, 18, the daughter of Gratzl
Antal [= Anton], living at Unterwart no. 17. The marriage took place in
Unterwart on October 10, 1880. These data would be at variance with your tree
as currently drawn, both regarding the date of birth of Alois Schtter as
well as the identity of Anna Gratzl's parents. I will write to you directly
to discuss the situation and provide you with further information from my
notes.

The birth village name you currently have for Alois Schtter is likely
Kemeten (rather than Kement), a village southwest of Oberwart. Altschlaining
lies eastnortheast of Oberwart. One of the other names you mention should
rather be spelled Luibersbeck or Loibersbeck."

A new message, "Flamisch, Groller, Fischl, Jost(Yost), etc.," was posted by
Fritz Knigshofer on Sun, 14 Mar 1999 It is a response to "LOEFFLER, DULD,
PUMMER, FLAMISCH, YOST, REICHL, ZWILLINGER, ZEGLOWITSCH, WEBER, PFEIFFER,
FISCHL," posted by Bob Loeffler on Sat, 02 May 1998. The message reads as
follows:
"Flamisch, Grller, Fischl, Jost (americanized to Yost) are names present in
the Lafnitz and Raab valley in southern Burgenland and nearby Hungary. The
name Weber also exists there, but this is a very common German name (meaning
weaver) and spread virtually everywhere in German speaking lands. Weber
belongs to the common and widespread names, like Steiner, Unger, Mayer, etc.,
which virtually escape any geographical focus."

A new message, "Krabal and Finc(e)," was posted by Fritz Knigshofer on Sun,
20 Dec 1998 It is a response to "RE: KRABAL and FINC surname search," posted
by Chrystie on Sun, 20 Dec 1998 The message reads as follows:
"The Czech name of Bohemia is Czechy, therefore Czech and Bohemian mean the
same thing. However, the second element in your hearsay, Slovenian, does not
fit. This should likely mean "Slav" or the alternatives "Slavic" or
"Slavonian." The latter term was used as a general adjective describing Slavs
(to which the Czechs also belong), or for a particular region of Croatia. In
your context, it would seem to be the former. Since in the Austro-Hungarian
Monarchy, Bohemia belonged to the Austrian half of the empire, it is quite
possible that your ancestors were Austrian citizens. With the little you
know, I would say that your ancestors most likely originated from Bohemia
(the Western part of today's Czech Republic; the other part being Moravia).
One of your next steps could be to establish the language origin of the name
Hrabal, and whether Fince or Vince was indeed used as a name in Bohemia. Make
a try with the family name fiches for Bohemia (or Czechoslovakia) at LDS.

PAMHAGEN-BAUMHACKEN SAME VILLAGE (from Judy Eggert-James Weinzatl-Albert
Schuch<< Albert: Can you help us out here, is Pamhagen and Baumhacken the
same village? >>
Answer: Yes, definitely. This village was first mentioned in a document of
1268 when it was called "Pomog". The name changed through the centuries. A
few examples: Pomaken (1431); Pomogy seu Pamhaken (1696; "seu" is Latin for
"also (known as)"); Baumhacken (1786).

The original meaning of the name is in dispute. It has been argued that the
name is derived from the ancient Slawic word "Pomedje" (i.e. "on the
border"), but there are other theories. "Baumhacken" is of course German and
your translation (Tree Cutting) is correct. It often happened that German
settlers kind of "Germanized" an already existing village name.

ANOTHER GENERATION AND AN ANCESTRAL NAME RESURFACES
Ed. Note: Nephew Daryl Kotz and wife Karen just had their first child, a girl
named Emma Catherine, born 27 Mar. 1999. A new bud on their branch of the
Kotz-Berghold tree. The Kotz name is an old PA-German one and Daryl tells of
the following interesting coincidence. Will some future genealogist be
confused?

Daryl writes: "Just as a side note...my wife and I spent the last three
months trying to pick out a name for a girl. We finally chose Emma Catherine
about a week before she was born. After we brought Emma Catherine home from
the hospital I was cleaning out my desk when I found the genealogy of my
father's side of the family. His cousin has been researching the Kotzes for
some time. I was looking through the lineage and lo and behold, I found that
on March 24, 1865 Emma Catherine Kotz was born. She was George Kotz's (my
Great Grandfather) sister. She lived to be 95 years old. What a pleasant
surprise that was! And here we thought we were being original. Actually now
that we have this information we think it makes it extra special.

JEWISH CEMETERIES IN BURGENLAND (from Albert Schuch)
The book "Jdische Friedhfe in Wien, Niedersterreich und Burgenland" (=
Jewish cemeteries in Vienna, Lower Austria and Burgenland), edited in 1992 by
Club Niedersterreich, ISBN 3-7039-0016-4, 148 pages, includes an article by
Shalom FRIED: "Das Erbe der "Schewa Kehiloth". Auf den Spuren jdischen
Lebens im Burgenland" (= The heritage of the Seven Communities. Tracing
Jewish life in Burgenland). Also included are photos of the following Jewish
cemeteries in Burgenland: Eisenstadt, Kittsee, Frauenkirchen, Deutschkreutz,
Lackenbach, Kobersdorf, Rechnitz, Oberwart, Mattersburg, Stadtschlaining,
Sauerbrunn.

Author Shalom FRIED, born in Israel in 1946, is founder and president of the
"Weltverein der burgenlndischen Juden und ihrer Nachkommen, Austria". (World
Society of Burgenland Jews and their descendants, Austria)

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, Contact
for information about the Burgenland Bunch.

This thread: